IGNORED

2022 Midterm Elections

47of74

On 5/17/2022 at 10:36 PM, Audrey2 said:

Forget their own country can we just find a planet for Trump and all of his supporters? We could even call the planet something conservative and ship Murdoch and those in other countries who he's been influencing to that planet. They could choose to trash it however they want and it won't affect the rest of us, especially if it's far enough away. Conversely, maybe those of us who care about our planet and our society should leave and colonize another planet.

Hmm. I like the idea. Since these people are the minority (they just are loud and obnoxious) they should be the ones to leave, IMO. But also, since they trust science so little, it'd be difficult to get them there. 

I have two possible solutions - find a way to consolidate the garbage patch in the ocean into something solid enough to be anchored as an island, and let them live there. Or two... and I'm only halfway kidding here, because I am that morbid sometimes... Heaven's Gate. They believe all kinds of crazy shit. It wouldn't be too difficult I think, convince Trump that there's a planet just for them and here's how you get there... and the rest will follow. Like lemmings off a cliff.

2 hours ago, Howl said:

This would be funny if it weren't literally true. As is becoming more apparent by the day, there is a major (perhaps majority) sub contingent of MAGA who believe that Trump is ordained by God, who will lead their contingent forward to Christian Dominion of the country.   Any action toward that end, including subverting election results and overturning a popular vote, is appropriate and in fact required, because God's ********** will. 

This is what I don't get. They think Trump, who meets basically all the descriptions of the Antichrist and who doesn't know which end of a Bible is up, can't quote an attributed Bible verse, and is as far from Christian as it's possible to get without being a Satanist (they wouldn't take him, either, I think), is God's chosen one. What? Really?

That's like if someone 20 years ago decided Marilyn Manson was ordained by God to provide uplifting music and lead the world to Christianity. 

I mean I like his music, TBH, though he turned out to be awful. But Christian it is not.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

This probably doesn't belong here but...

Never, ever did I think I would agree with Elon Musk on anything, and here he goes saying exactly what I have been saying for years on how people should vote: not for a party or politician, but for solutions to issues.

Edited by fraurosena
Consumption of alcohol messed with my typing skills
  • Upvote 6

Iowa libertarian gubernatorial candidate Rick Stewart paused his campaign after being arrested in DC. 

This past week, Stewart says he was detained at the Washington, D.C. headquarters of the DEA on the charge of simple trespassing.

Stewart says he was protesting the denial of experimental psilocybin therapy to a friend with stage four cancer. During the event, seventeen protesters, including Stewart, staged a “die-in,” and were arrested. A die-in is defined as a protest or demonstration where a group of people gathers and lies down as if dead.

Getting out on the limb here and guessing he probably thinks ivermectin cures COVID. 

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

This probably doesn't belong here but...

Never, ever did I think I would agree with Elon Musk on anything, and here he goes saying exactly what I have been saying for years on how people should vote: not for a party or politician, but for solutions to issues.

I think I mentioned it on FJ before, but I believe there should be universal suffrage for all Americans over a certain age - even the incompetent, those in prison, and ex-cons no matter what.  Maybe do it the same way drivers licenses used to be issued in the states with people being allowed to vote at age 16 if they take a civics course and pass a test otherwise at the age of 18.  And make it the affirmative duty of every government employee to ensure that voting is as easy and as painless as possible for people.  Put voter suppression and electoral fraud in the constitution as crimes punishable by life imprisonment. 

That might take some of the incentive away with mass incarceration since they'll still be able to vote during and after they serve their sentences.  And the obvious answer is if people don't want felons or the insane choosing our leaders then the obvious solution is for more Americans to get out and vote.  (Although I can't really see anyone felons or incompetent people choose being much worse than GQP candidates). 

• Upvote 4

Today in nutjob candidate news, we have Michigander Jacky Eubanks.

If you watch the whole interview, you will learn that she loves Trump, her current political hero is Marjorie Taylor Greene, and God used to wake her up at 4:30am for chit-chats.

Selected tidbits from her campaign website:

Spoiler

image.png.a45f324f3676b96ab1ee825451742a37.png

image.png.855b50241f1c802c1638aa22ed31c8a3.png

• Disgust 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 6

GOP Sen. Candidate Herschel Walker: Total Ban on Abortion, No Exceptions

Georgia GOP U.S. Senate candidate Herschel Walker says there should be a total ban on abortion, with no exceptions for rape, incest, or the health of the mother, WGXA News reports.

"There's no exception in my mind," he told reporters after a campaign speech in Macon, Georgia, at the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame. "Like I say, I believe in life. I believe in life."

"You never know what a child is going to become," he said. "And I've seen some people, they've had some tough times, but I always said, 'No matter what, tough times make tough people.' "

His comments come nearly a month after a leaked draft opinion suggested the Supreme Court's conservative majority would overturn the landmark Roe v. Wade ruling that made abortion a constitutional right for women.

Walker, the former football star leading the primary race, also called for money to promote adoption and to support single mothers and single fathers.

Walker was recently endorsed by the National Right to Life.

"Herschel Walker will be a most effective champion for unborn babies and their mothers in Washington and he has demonstrated the passion and perseverance it takes to win the critically important Georgia Senate race," Carol Tobias, the organization's president, said.

"Georgia deserves a pro-life senator like Herschel Walker who is committed to building a culture of life," Tobias added. "Walker's stance for life stands in stark contrast to the out-of-touch record of [incumbent Democrat Sen. Raphael] Warnock who supports abortion for any reason until birth."

A ban on abortion after six weeks of pregnancy is likely to become law in Georgia if Roe v. Wade is overturned.

• Disgust 3
  • WTF 5

16 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:
  Hide contents

image.png.a45f324f3676b96ab1ee825451742a37.png

"The seminole works of Western Civilization" is a misspelling that broke yet another irony meter.

• Upvote 8

Sports Illustrated chose Kim Kardashian, Ciara, Maye Musk, and Yumi Nu to be the cover models for their 2022 swimsuit issue. For those playing along at home, Musk is Elon Musk's 74-year-old mother, and Nu is a plus-sized model. Apparently, Lake is going to save America from transgender folks, plus-sized models, and Joe Biden. :evil-eye:

Alabama's Kay Ivey wants you to know that she's packing.

• WTF 2
  • Thank You 2

I simply do not understand a mindset that says “I am in such danger all the time that I need to carry a firearm everywhere.” Besides, if someone grabs your purse with your firearm, they now have your firearm!  Kay Ivey sounds like a nut case. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

Mail-in ballots are evil until they're not.

• Upvote 6

I hope Pennsylvanians who voted for McCormick are paying attention.

image.png.79c93e44ce99ed9e2ef1754c47cbf973.png

• Upvote 6

I'm so glad the GQP is worried about the big issues of the day, like the dog Raphael used in an ad. /s

image.png.fc1c8042c42ed2e315afb4f4a67bec91.png

• Upvote 6

Fuck will you just go away Richard.

The job status of a Dubuque County Assistant Attorney placed on administrative leave remains murky after he says he tried to return to work this week but was told to go home.

Richard Kirkendall has insisted he has not resigned. However, County Attorney C.J. May told KCRG-TV9 Kirkendall chose to resign as opposed to agreeing to terms to return to work following allegations of workplace harassment. Complicating matters is the fact Kirkendall is running for County Attorney in November and is expected to challenge C.J. May, who is facing a primary challenge first in his bid for reelection.

On Facebook, Kirkendall posted a video saying he expected to be able to return to work Monday after his suspension ended, adding he has received no notice that he was no longer employed and had not resigned. However, Kirkendall says the Human Resources director told him he had resigned and told him to leave.

Kirkendall was placed on administrative leave in March as the county investigated a harassment complaint against him. Earlier in May, Kirkendall says he was informed that investigation found those claims unsubstantiated. However, he says Dubuque County Human Resources determined there was cause to terminate Kirkendall for harassment and insubordination. Kirkendall released documents he says the County said he needed to sign in order to come back to work: an agreement that admitted harassing behavior, including sending an email to staff disparaging an unnamed employee and accusing her of having an inappropriate relationship with May, as well as pre-written apology notes to both C.J. May and an unnamed employee. In a written response Kirkendall posted on his blog, Kirkendall refuses to sign those documents and specifically says he is not resigning and is instead invoking a grievance claiming C.J. May is targetting him for political reasons because Kirkendall is running for County Attorney.

This is the guy who drove another employee to quit after spreading rumors that she had an affair with their boss.  Then he refused to sign an agreement outlining conditions for him to return to work.

May's partially right in that Kirkendall is politicizing this but I would also add local news media is doing the same.

I ran out of patience with this idiot some time ago since May and his wife are my friends.

• Upvote 2

On 5/20/2022 at 10:17 PM, Cartmann99 said:

I really don't understand this stance, at all. Can someone explain it to me like I'm a toddler?

How is it "pro-life" to guarantee the death of a woman AND her unborn child, rather than allow a non-viable, unable to survive outside the womb fetus to be removed in order to save the woman's life? Two deaths, including an already born woman, is more pro-life than the death of a fetus? A fetus that's going to die with the woman anyway?

I have never been able to make any sense of this at all. 

• I Agree 8

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I really don't understand this stance, at all. Can someone explain it to me like I'm a toddler?

How is it "pro-life" to guarantee the death of a woman AND her unborn child, rather than allow a non-viable, unable to survive outside the womb fetus to be removed in order to save the woman's life? Two deaths, including an already born woman, is more pro-life than the death of a fetus? A fetus that's going to die with the woman anyway?

I have never been able to make any sense of this at all. 

Because in the sick and twisted "pro life" mind, it's the fault of the woman who made her her body incapable of doing its one job- bringing the baby into the world, so she is expendable.

• Upvote 3

In other words the plague is expanding. I'm very opposed to Herschel Walker as senator. Based off some things that I've read that he said, it seems like he took too many hits on the football field.

• Upvote 2

Meanwhile in Arkansas:

Sarah Sanders jumps on Texas shooting to justify ban on abortions, not guns

Former White House press secretary Sarah Sanders, who won the Republican primary for Arkansas governor, used her victory speech on Tuesday to call for a ban on abortions while mourning the Texas school shooting deaths.

Ms Sanders said that the shooting in Texas’ Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, in which at least 19 children and 2 adults were killed, was a “stark and humbling reminder of just how precious life is”.

“Every single life has value and the most vulnerable among us are the ones we should be fighting for and protecting the most,” she added.

“I can assure you that in my administration, that’s exactly what we will do. We will make sure that when a kid is in the womb, they’re as safe as they are in the classroom, the workplace, the nursing home, because every stage of life has value.”

Ms Sanders has been vocal against gun control measures in the past.

Former president Donald Trump had publicly encouraged Ms Sanders to run for governor when she left the White House in 2019 to return to her home state.

During her two years as Mr Trump’s spokesperson, Ms Sanders used the White House briefing room to take aim at Democrats on issues such as immigration and crime. She remained a controversial figure during that time and was often seen sparring with reporters. She also faced criticism for being evasive.

In her speech on Tuesday, however, she did not mention her former boss.

In 2019, the former president had praised Ms Sanders as a “warrior.”

“Sometimes you have so many that it makes it more difficult. But we have some great – But Sarah was fantastic, and she is fantastic. She’s going to have a tremendous future. She has been a warrior, in a sense,” he had said.

Ms Sanders is the daughter of former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, a pastor who ran the state for nearly a decade.

Earlier in the day, Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene jumped into the fray with a call to oppose new gun control efforts after news of the school shooting broke in Uvalde, Texas. She took to Twitter to declare that more efforts to restrict America’s rampant gun ownership, which far outpaces other countries that do not see such violence, were not necessary.

Meanwhile, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has attacked “pro-life” Republicans for inaction on gun control in the wake of the school shooting.

The Congresswoman from New York took to Twitter to slam those GOP politicians more concerned with overturning abortion rights than protecting American citizens from gun violence.

“There is no such thing as being ‘pro-life’ while supporting laws that let children be shot in their schools, elders in grocery stores, worshippers in their houses of faith, survivors by abusers, or anyone in a crowded place. It is an idolatry of violence. And it must end,” she tweeted.

Tuesday’s attack was the deadliest school shooting ever in Texas, after a gunman killed 10 people at Santa Fe High School in Houston four years ago.

It is also the deadliest attack on a US elementary school since the 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, which claimed the lives of 20 students and six teachers.

• Thank You 4

Lauren Boebert is going to DEBATE her primary opponent, Don Coram, today!  This is the first of two planned debates. 

Coram knows his stuff and will likely point out Boebert's poor record and emphasize his policy initiatives.  He'll also be very well known to the constituents in Congressional District 3 because he has spent 5 yrs CO House, 5 yrs CO Senate.  

This will be a race between a traditional conservative and a frothing wing-nut MAGA-ite.  Boebert ran originally on ending pandemic restrictions and gun rights.  I guess she's established her anti-government brand but who knows if that will win her the primary.  I suspect she has more entrenched support from some factions and has alienated many, many others. 

Don't discount Boebert, though.  She's been honing her ranting demagogue chops and perhaps you've observed that she's had a serious makeover to a more polished appearance.  Perfect hair and lipstick, body conscious dresses, high heels, projecting strong MILF vibes to male voters, but sufficient JESUS is LORD!  to not put off women. 

Mother Jones has an in-depth article about Boebert; only a small part of the article is about Shooter's Grill and disgruntled employees. 

Lauren Boebert’s American Dream  The Colorado congresswoman has built her reputation as a certain kind of working-class hero. Her employees tell a different story.

Another interesting aspect of this Colorado primary election is that unaffiliated voters can vote in the Republican primary.   I suspect that possibly some Democrats are un-affiliating to vote for Boebert's primary opponent. Interesting times! 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5