IGNORED

Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene: The QAnon Lady From GA-14

Cartmann99

3 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Half of the 2015 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine was awarded jointly to Campbell and Ōmura for discovering avermectin, "the derivatives of which have radically lowered the incidence of river blindness and lymphatic filariasis, as well as showing efficacy against an expanding number of other parasitic diseases".- Wikipedia. 

So, fact checking Loud Marge here- it did not win the Nobel Peace Prize but rather then Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.  (Trust Loud Marge not to know that there are multiple categories of Nobel Prizes.)  The basis of the award was for its treatment for parasitic diseases, not viral based illnesses.  It took me all of thirty seconds to look it up and find the information.  Unlike Loud Marge, I don't have staff to fact check information for me so that I don't look like a blathering idiot on a national stage.  I would, however, strongly encourage the Biden Administration, CDC, and Dr. Fauci to recommend prescribing Ivermectin to lower the incidence of parasitic diseases such as Loud Marge, Lauren Boebert, Maxwell Cawthorn, Jim Jordan, Matt Gaetz, and the rest of the band of bozos. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 7

It's fun watching the crazies turn on each other.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1

Um, Margie, HIV is not airborne. What an idiot.

image.png.73019b6b365ae151c2efdbe4f81f12f0.png

• Upvote 9

11 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:
  Hide contents

image.png.36e9831bb76cff8e1c6a858e52d41170.png

Hard pass...if I want to lose IQ points, there are more interesting ways to do it.

• Haha 10

16 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.36e9831bb76cff8e1c6a858e52d41170.png

The $500 option is even worse. I can't think of many people that I would like to talk to less than Marjorie Taylor Greene.

• I Agree 8

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

The $500 option is even worse. I can't think of many people that I would like to talk to less than Marjorie Taylor Greene.

I think we should crowdsource funds for some of us from FJ to go and ask her questions.  I'd donate as much as $50.  Heck, I would go a full $250 if someone promises to start the question with, "Well riddle me this, Loud Marge....."

• Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

Don't give Republicans money, please & thank you. I note carefully that she has not offered to answer questions for the donation, only to allow a donor to ask.

Also, anti-parasitics are typically hard on the kidneys &/or liver. I will not be shocked if it turns out that taking all that ivermectin turns out to be a risk factor for getting Covid19 in the first place &/or being correlated with worse outcomes.

She & her fellow Trumpists are like the Pied Piper of death for their voting base, it's amazing to watch this unfold. Older voters have been arguably the crucial voting block for Republicans for many decades & Covid19 is an older-people killer. Approximately 94% of deaths are to people over age 50, going by the CDC's numbers at that link. I keep cranking thru the numbers & I don't think it's enough to hurt them in their deeper red redoubts but it could be enough, on its own, to hurt their electoral chances in purple places -- especially if Trump & his acolytes continue successfully using primaries to push out moderate Republicans in favor of far-right extremists.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

image.png.e6304b6e4be50a48ae01f07be7701b5b.pngimage.png.13895e086ca1b650a57f2a021ee80114.png

I agree with Will (under spoiler):

Spoiler

image.png.a4b77983cd9ec6685ce953619ecb5ed4.png

• Upvote 11
  • WTF 1

Wait, what? "Marjorie Taylor Greene says Jan. 6 riot was in line with the Declaration of Independence"

The GOP’s attempt to rewrite the history of the Jan. 6 Capitol riot has come full circle.

Initially, pretty much everyone agreed it was very bad to violently try to overturn an American election. Then some Republicans said that it wasn’t an insurrection at all — and that most of the people who stormed the U.S. Capitol were something akin to overzealous, persecuted tourists exercising their constitutional rights.

Now, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) has offered a rather novel take on all of this: Yes, maybe it was indeed a riot seeking a violent re-installation of Donald Trump as president, but that’s what America was founded upon.

We probably shouldn’t undersell how insidious this could be, especially if past is prologue.

During an appearance on conservative outlet Real America’s Voice, Greene repeated a frequent GOP talking point that the real focus of congressional investigators should be violence at Black Lives Matter protests in 2020. But while doing so, she essentially suggested the Capitol riot comported with our Founding Fathers’ vision.

The racial-justice protest violence “was an attack on innocent American people, whereas January 6th was just a riot at the Capitol,” she said. “And if you think about what our Declaration of Independence says, it says to overthrow tyrants.”

Greene added: “So there’s a clear difference between January 6th and the Marxist-communist revolution that antifa, BLM, Democrat ground troops waged on the American people in 2020.”

Let’s set aside for a moment the notion that violence perpetrated at racial-justice protests deserves more attention. (The Washington Post’s Philip Bump has dealt with this.) The real point here is that, almost as an aside, a Republican member of Congress talks about the Capitol riot as if it’s just how things work — something even our founders implicitly provided for in our earliest founding document.

There is no question the founders saw a place for violent efforts to combat and rid themselves of tyrants as a last resort. But they also had some, well, legitimate reasons — lots of them. The Declaration of Independence lays out 27 grievances, including King George III inflicting things such as taxes and standing armies upon them without allowing them representation. The document also notes that the colonies had repeatedly and peacefully sought a redress of the grievances, with no luck.

Therein lie two rather important differences. None of the grievances laid out in the declaration included fantastic and baseless claims of widespread voter fraud. And unlike back then, the false grievance that motivated the Capitol riot did indeed get a proper hearing — in courts, in public opinion and in a Congress in which representatives of those who disagreed with the result had a vote to try to change this alleged wrong.

Breaking all of this down lends it more credence than it deserves. But while it’s easy to dismiss Greene’s comments as the rantings of one of the GOP’s most extreme members, also consider how much such members have been leading indicators of where the conservative movement (and many members) would ultimately land.

For months after Ashli Babbitt was shot and killed by a police officer during the riot — and even though video of it emerged almost instantly — few on the right raised concerns about it. Then Rep. Paul A. Gosar (R-Ariz.), who is perhaps the one congressman who outflanks Greene on the GOP fringe, began talking about it like it was a murder. Today, even relatively standard-issue Republicans have echoed the claims. Rep. Troy E. Nehls (R-Tex.), who when he was chosen by the GOP for the Jan. 6 committee this summer was thought to have been a rather acceptable pick for Democrats, is now also calling it a “murder.”

The effort to rehabilitate the other people who stormed the Capitol has followed a similar progression. During a House hearing in May, far-right Republicans such as Gosar and Reps. Andrew S. Clyde (R-Ga.), Pat Fallon (R-Tex.) and Jody Hice (R-Ga.) tried all manner of ways to downplay the riot. They compared it to a “normal tourist visit” and suggested the people involved were simply misguided misfits or even, in Gosar’s estimation, mostly “peaceful patriots.” This is around the time when the idea that those prosecuted for unlawfully entering the Capitol were being persecuted began to catch on. Today, it’s an article of faith in much of the GOP.

Ditto the effort to recast the riot as not being an “insurrection.” It clearly was, by definition. Even Trump’s impeachment defense acknowledged that basic fact back in February. But since then, even some of the most high-ranking Republicans have suggested that label doesn’t really apply.

The point is that these things have a tendency to catch on. They do so because GOP leaders are reluctant to rebuke those in their midst who might hold a view that only a passionate minority of the party base holds. They do so because acknowledging the reality of Jan. 6 can’t help but legitimize Congress’s investigation of it, which Republicans don’t want for transparently political reasons.

And suggesting the Capitol riot was in line with our founders’ vision for the country dovetails neatly with all of the above — especially the effort to excuse or downplay the actions of the Capitol rioters. The problem, of course, is that when you tell people that such things are okay or patriotic, you kind of encourage them to do it again.

It’s also worth emphasizing that, after the Capitol riot, the likes of Greene explained that their pre-riot comparisons of Jan. 6 to 1776 weren’t literal calls to arms. That’s a little more difficult to accept now.

• Disgust 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

"Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene hit with four more fines for breaking House rule by refusing to wear a mask"

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) faced four more fines Monday for refusing to wear a mask on the House floor and has racked up at least $15,500 in fines for violating the pandemic-dictacted rule.

Greene has been cited at least seven times for breaking the House rule, which was established in January. Members are fined $500 for their first offense and $2,500 for each subsequent offense. The fines are deducted from their congressional pay of $174,000 annually.

According to a Monday news release from the House Ethics Committee, Greene was disciplined four times in late September for failing to wear a mask. The committee had previously made public three earlier occasions in which Greene was fined for breaking the same rule — another time in September, once in August and a first offense in May.

In a statement Monday, Greene stood by her opposition to masks, which health professionals say can slow the spread of the deadly coronavirus in public settings. Mask-wearing has become highly politicized, especially after former president Donald Trump repeatedly refused to wear a mask.

Greene railed against “communist Democrats” and “tyrannical dictators” with mandates and lockdowns.

“I will continue my stand on the House floor against authoritarian Democrat mandates, because I don’t want the American people to stand alone,” she said.

Nick Dyer, a spokesman for Greene, said the congresswoman has been fined almost two dozen times for not wearing a mask, resulting in $48,000 in fines. An Oct. 28 letter from Sergeant-at-Arms William Walker to Greene reviewed by The Washington Post shows that Greene has been observed not wearing a mask in the House that many times since May 18.

Last month, Greene tweeted that she had racked up more than $25,000 in mask fines.

Of the seven citations Greene has received listed online by the House Ethics Committee, she has only filed an appeal for one.

The mask rule was established at the recommendation of Capitol attending physician Brian P. Monahan. While it was lifted for a few weeks in mid-June, it was put back in place in July, when the delta variant led to a rise in coronavirus cases. The Senate, meanwhile, has never required masks.

Greene has repeatedly complained online about the House mask fines, tweeting in July that Monahan “has no authority” to fine members of Congress, and saying House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is acting like an “authoritarian.”

The congresswoman has also constantly criticized national mask guidances during the pandemic. Over the summer, she compared mask policies to the Nazi practice of labeling Jews with Star of David badges. She apologized for her statement in June as she faced a House censorship resolution.

During the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, Greene was not wearing a mask while hiding in a secure room with other House members. Some Democrats in that group tested positive for the virus soon after. Greene told Fox News it was “insane” for Democrats to blame those infections on maskless Republicans.

• Thank You 9

6 hours ago, fraurosena said:

How is payment of these fines ensured? Are there repercussions for non-payment? 

They are deducted from her congressional salary. No idea what happens if she uses up her entire salary this way.

• Thank You 6

• 2 weeks later...

On twitter I keep seeing her being referred to as "Empty G".

It took me a moment to get it but now I can't stop laughing.

• Haha 13

• Upvote 5

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic