IGNORED

Seriously Steve 3: Relaxing His Grip as He Prepares to Turn 70?

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Nave organizes his reference by topic instead of words. (Like here are some verses on sin, even if it doesn't say sin.)

This must be what the Maxwells use when they quote scripture at the end of their posts.  Often I can't see any connection between the quote and the post.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

This week's Seriously, Dad? is titled Oh That Hurts and it's from September 29, 2021. 

I avoid pain if I can.

I thought you avoid fun if you can.

Yet, affliction is one of God’s tools. Are you experiencing affliction? Thomas Watson (Puritan) said that when someone brings affliction into your life, you can be sure that God sent him. The best thing about affliction is that God has promised there is good in it. We would ease and encourage our hearts if we embrace and believe that. 

I don't believe affliction is one of God's tools. I think the fruits of the Spirit are God's Tools. I think affliction is not from God.

On our recent trip to Colorado, Teri and I were greatly blessed by listening (again) to Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan (read by Robert Whitfield). Did you know that John Bunyan wrote it while serving twelve years in prison for his faith?

I didn't know that. Everything I know about Pilgrim's Progress comes from Little Women (part 1). Have your girls read it? Sarah would like that book; "siblings that actually love each other."

“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren” (Romans 8:28-29)

I don't believe everything is predestined; some things are the result of free will. Of course everyone struggles with how much of our destiny is in our control and how much is beyond our control.

This was concise and I'm not sure people learned anything. I'd say Steve phoned it in, but then it was very concise and on-point.

• Thank You 6

It’s interesting Steve mentioned he and Teri’s recent trip to Colorado. Looks like they did go this year, but only the two of them. 

• Upvote 7

On 9/29/2021 at 4:06 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Yet, affliction is one of God’s tools. Are you experiencing affliction? Thomas Watson (Puritan) said that when someone brings affliction into your life, you can be sure that God sent him. The best thing about affliction is that God has promised there is good in it. We would ease and encourage our hearts if we embrace and believe that. 

You and that sacred cow, Mother Teresa, Steve. Mother Teresa was very big on affliction and suffering.

“Pain and suffering have come into your life, but remember pain, sorrow, suffering are but the kiss of Jesus - a sign that you have come so close to Him that He can kiss you.”

So much so that she withheld pain medication from people who were suffering needlessly as they lay dying. Of course, when she herself was terminally ill she went to a modern hospital and got plenty of drugs to dull her pain.

On our recent trip to Colorado, Teri and I were greatly blessed by listening (again) to Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan (read by Robert Whitfield). Did you know that John Bunyan wrote it while serving twelve years in prison for his faith?

Recent trip to Colorado? Like this past summer? Steve, you've been holding out on us again!

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

This week Seriously Dad? is titled What Ya Looking At? and it's from October 6, 2021. I'm honestly surprised Steve is using the "ya". 

“And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven” (Acts 1:10-11). 

This is how it opens. Usuallly he put the quotes at the end.

Might that describe (sadly) most believers today – mostly looking and not zealously being about the Lord’s business?

So this refers back to the quote above.  It's very vague as to what Steve wants people to do.

Brothers, are you looking up, down, or around? 

This sounds like a line from a 1970s Disco song.

What generally has our attention has our heart. We don’t give our longterm attention to things we don’t have a heart for. 

This is true. Atlhough we can have intense short-term attention, for something that doesn't involve our hearts.

“If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth” (Colossians 3:1-2).

This is probably the point. Although wait a minutre, he said earlier that we shouldn't look up, we should attend to the Lord's business on earth. Which is it?

May we love the Lord Jesus with all our hearts – give Him our attention – and be busy about His business. 

It reminds me of being dismissed from Mass. "The Mass has ended; go in peace to love and serve the lord." 

In general this column seems rather perfunctory, but it's short and inoffensive so I can't really complain too much.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

This sounds like a line from a 1970s Disco song.

Pleas God, may ABC college post a picture of Anna and Mary doing the moves to "Oops upside your head" at the Fall Break Bible Disco 😂

Edited by ClareDeLune
  • Haha 7

35 minutes ago, ClareDeLune said:

Pleas God, may ABC college post a picture of Anna and Mary doing the moves to "Oops upside your head" at the Fall Break Bible Disco 😂

Unfortunately, ABC doesn't really like music except for church music. 

• Haha 4

@ClareDeLune,  I'm suddenly at a high school football game in the early 70s, hearing Oops, Upside the Head.  We had a cheer that was basically that song.  "Whomp'em Upside the Head"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

This week's Seriously Dad is called Who Do You Love? and it's from Wednesday October 13, 2021.

It is common to hear someone exclaim, “I love ____ (coffee, ice cream, football, fill in the blank). I have never heard a Christian say, “I love the world.” However, as much as we don’t want to love the world or the things in it, I am confident that to varying degrees we all do.

Yes everyone has things they love. I think most people don't feel guilty if they love things of the world.

It is nice that he admits he loves some of the things of the world, unlike Jeremy Vuolo (who is way more worldy than Steve).

(Hint: even if you don’t say what you love, watch how you spend your time.)

Yes this has been the topic of many of his Seriouslys, It also seems like the main point of this paragraph, so I'm confused that it's an aside.

I passionately desire to love the Lord with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. “And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment” (Mark 12:30). Just think, the more we love Jesus, the One Who died for us, the less we love other things, to include self and the world.

And yet he admitted to loving the world, just a minute ago. What does it mean to love God especially with all of your mind? I think many of us think loving God can mean different things. I think the love of God can inspire people to many things. To study medicine to improve people's lives. @MamaJunebug likes to point out that having a calling to enter the medical profession to help people is a way of following God. Pursuing a career where you help others or search for truth (like in most science) related fields can be a way of honoring God. 

And finally someone once told me  that loving God with all your mind means critically thinking. Using the brain God gave you to try to think things fully through. Most fundies seem to twist this to mean blind obedience, but blind obedience doesn't really require all your mind.

“Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him” (1 John 2:15).

I get tired of this quote. Jeremy Vuolo said sometime this year that there are two religions; one is worshipping Jesus and the other is the worshipping the world. This would be offensive if wasn't so painfully hypocritical. Jeremy worships the world more than any human I've seen. 

This seems to be an excuse for Christians to turn a blind eye towards injustice, poverty, etc. 

Both of the verses quoted here can mean just thing you want, which is why this isn't all that helpful.

• Upvote 2
  • Move Along 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

New Seriously email. Steve encourages you to read your Bible every day.  He is retired now so he has more time to spend with the LORD.  (Ahhhhhhhhh)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

We're a couple of Seriously, Dads behind, probably my fault. Here's "Negative or Positive Influences" and it's from October 27, 2021.

Wise parents are quick to recognize the potentially powerful negative influence that can come from their children’s friends. This includes everything from your children being discontent with their looks and abilities, what they are allowed to do or not do, but most serious – their faith. Paul warned the Corinthians of the danger of bad companionship (KJV communications). “Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners” (1 Corinthians 15:33).

Yes, many parents worry about peer pressure. "Just say yes to Jesus." is Steve's version of "Just Say No to Drugs."

My Brothers, how seriously do you heed that warning for yourself? I frequently observe a spiritual overconfidence (pride?) in dads where they are not concerned about something of the world (TV, movies, social media) diminishing their walk with the Lord. “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world” (1 John 2:15-16).

Fundies sure do love this verse. They love to quote it all the time like Steve and Jeremy Vuolo. Of course Jeremy loves the world more than anybody. I will agree that older people can be susceptible to bad influences. 

“Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?” (1 Corinthians 5:6).

Why is this quote a whole paragraph? I think you should have explained why you included the quote.

Would you like some encouraging influence? November 5, 6 I will be sharing with a group of Brothers in south-central Missouri at a Christian camp for a time of encouragement and challenge. If you aren’t too far from there and would like more information, reply to this email asking for it.

I seriously hope you and your Brothers are vaccinated. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called "Not a Good Thing" and it is from November 3, 2021. From what I read the title is apt. 

I wonder how many well-meaning parents are possibly harming, with potentially eternal consequences, their children every week when they take them to church (don’t stop reading now)? Have you noticed them? They bring their children to church (a good thing), but then during the service, the children do every imaginable quiet (mostly) thing, except listen to the message. Instead of teaching their children to sit still and listen to the preaching, so as to obey God’s Word, the children are “taught” how to ignore God’s Word—not on purpose—but isn’t that is the result? While the children occupy themselves, they become skilled at deflecting God’s holy Word from their minds and hearts while they are occupied with “more important” things.

I will admit back in the day, mama Blue limited our activities in church. That doesn't mean that kids minds can't wander even with no distractions. Also quit observing and judging parents and children and pay attention. When adults learn to judge people, they "occupy themselves and become skilled at deflecting God's holy Word from their minds and hearts while they are occupied with "more important" things".... like how to judge others.

Matthew 7:2 "For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you."

Many times we read where Jesus instructs he that “hath ears to hear, let him hear.” (Matt 11:15, 13:9, 13:43, Mark 4:9, 4:23, 7:16, Luke 8:8 and 14:35). That would mean open your mind to what is coming into your ears. It is an intentional, learned process to train the mind to concentrate with the goal of understanding so as to ultimately obey what is coming into the ears.

Again Steve, open your ears and stop focusing on other people's kids. Train yourself to ignore other people's children. I'm sure the families at your church are annoyed.

We listen intently because God’s Word is priceless and not to be treated like background music that is played in a store where we are shopping. “For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12).

I often notice the background music in stores. 

Steve, this was obnoxious and judgmental. Since you offered no advice on how to get kids to focus, it's not useful. Try to be more helpful and less critical. It'll get more people to listen to you.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 2

9 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called "Not a Good Thing" and it is from November 3, 2021. From what I read the title is apt. 

I will admit back in the day, mama Blue limited our activities in church. That doesn't mean that kids minds can't wander even with no distractions. Also quit observing and judging parents and children and pay attention. When adults learn to judge people, they "occupy themselves and become skilled at deflecting God's holy Word from their minds and hearts while they are occupied with "more important" things".... like how to judge others.

Matthew 7:2 "For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you."

Again Steve, open your ears and stop focusing on other people's kids. Train yourself to ignore other people's children. I'm sure the families at your church are annoyed.

I often notice the background music in stores. 

Steve, this was obnoxious and judgmental. Since you offered no advice on how to get kids to focus, it's not useful. Try to be more helpful and less critical. It'll get more people to listen to you.

Yeah, this. Steve wasn't paying attention either; he was too busy watching the children around him & judging their parents. 

Steve watching & judging is actually worse than a child who may have a coloring book or something to occupy their hands. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

This is not the first time Steve has bitched about kids not paying attention in church. I wonder who in the family is pissing him off.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

When Steve bitches about kids not paying attention in church I wonder if he really means that the parents of these kids aren’t paying attention to him. 
Maybe he’s pissed that no one is begging him to tell him how to properly raise children. After all he figured out the correct way decades ago.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

I really think Steve is loosing it.  He gets angry about nothing.  The real question is why is focusing on kids engage in a quiet activity at a church service rather than the readings and sermon the pastor delivered?  

It seems Steve is letting his mind wonder rather than focus on the word of God. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Botkinetti said:

When Steve bitches about kids not paying attention in church I wonder if he really means that the parents of these kids aren’t paying attention to him. 
Maybe he’s pissed that no one is begging him to tell him how to properly raise children. After all he figured out the correct way decades ago.

Probably, Steve hates when he sees parents not raising their kids the way he raised his. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

Both Steve and Teri are really too old now to be dispensing Dad and Mom advice.  They are older than many grandparents.  It's time for them to hush and let the next generations find their own way.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, ClareDeLune said:

Both Steve and Teri are really too old now to be dispensing Dad and Mom advice.  They are older than many grandparents.  It's time for them to hush and let the next generations find their own way.

I agree only because this is Stevehovah and Teri you’re talking about. I’ve gotten some great parenting advice from older friends and relatives who have actual common sense and managed to learn things through years of experience raising kids.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 3

I have read so many comments on the Maxwell blog that their fans trust their parenting advice. I remember one comment where the poster said something along the lines of they respect Steve & Teri’s advice because it comes from the a Christian perspective rather then anyone else. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 3

23 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Steve watching & judging is actually worse than a child who may have a coloring book or something to occupy their hands. 

When my kids were little they each had a church bag; in it we had Bible coloring pages for the pre-literate crew. We had Bible word searches, Bible scavenger hunts (find a verse of the Bible that mentions foxes, lambs, lions, hippopotamus, and and eagle), and Biblical maps and geography for early elementary school kids. 

When they were a little older they could earn money  for creating a set of coherent notes from the sermon. So,  a quarter for writing down the verse of the day, a Quarter for each main point, and a Quarter for the summary correctly distilling the sermon to its concise conclusion.

I am sure Steve thinks we are wild, rebellious, and dangerous parents! Why, our kids had crayons, maps, notebooks, and were being encouraged to document and analyze the sermons. How SCANDALOUS! 

When my eldest daughter was studying French she would often take her sermon notes in French to practice translations on the fly! Why, if Steve had poked his nosy and judgmental  proboscis over into our pew what must he have thought? Maybe he would have thought her to be writing in tongues? 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, Bassett Lady said:

When they were a little older they could earn money  for creating a set of coherent notes from the sermon. So,  a quarter for writing down the verse of the day, a Quarter for each main point, and a Quarter for the summary correctly distilling the sermon to its concise conclusion.

Double compensation if you attended one of Brother Gary's tent revivals?

• Haha 9

59 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Double compensation if you attended one of Brother Gary's tent revivals?

Ah, my moderate, thoughtful, educated, humble, succinct, and gentle pastor is about as far apart from Brother Gary as is possible and still remain in the same species. 

We are socially responsible Methodists. Brother Gary would not want us at his shindigs and we would not ever subject our kids to that. 

The thing is that I think of myself as conservative, but do not think of those hysterical, fear mongering, yowling and violent folks as the least bit conservative. 

I also think of myself as modest, in that my clothing is not meant to show off or draw attention to myself. We are quiet and helpful, not loud and boorish. 

I identify as a Christian and I really to try to seek justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God. 

I am deeply perplexed by folks like Gary and Steve who live lives of finger pointing, histrionics, and legalism. Then I am doubly perplexed when they want to strut about declaring themselves Christians, or conservative, or modest. 

I think they both could benefit from a dictionary. 

Here are definitions of conservatism I think apply to me:

“cautiously moderate or purposefully low: a conservative estimate.

traditional in style or manner; avoiding novelty or showiness: conservative suit.”

Edited by Bassett Lady
  • Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Love 10

Steve is that old guy in church who loudly complains about the children around him to embarrass their parents, and who has to tell the Pastor that the Pastor missed an important part of his sermon.  

Jeremiah 9:23 Steve.  I know you visit here.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic