IGNORED

Safe At Home 6: PIGS ARE FLYING! Luke is Engaged!

nelliebelle1197

On 12/12/2022 at 4:20 PM, 0 kids n not countin said:

Saw this snow globe in the waiting room of my doctor's office this morning and the first thing that came to my mind was the Arndts!!🤦🏽‍♀️😂

Spoiler

20221212_102700.jpg

Depictions of penguins at the North Pole make me despair for the future of humanity. It's not just SOTDRT FAIL anymore.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Depictions of penguins at the North Pole make me despair for the future of humanity. It's not just SOTDRT FAIL anymore.

If you believe in Santa Claus, you’re probably not very interested in geographical accuracy.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13

On 12/22/2022 at 12:39 PM, Black Aliss said:

I have a toddler and the number of kids' books showing penguins in the Arctic is... Very high. I always explain to my kid this is wrong, and he is strangely uninterested.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 8

On 12/22/2022 at 9:42 AM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

If you believe in Santa Claus, you’re probably not very interested in geographical accuracy.

I do. And I am. Re the former we took a cue from the Hopi Kachina tradition, where men dressed as supernatural figures who are the embodiment of protective spirits visit the community. They perform dances to bring rain, and ensure good crops. When a boy reaches a certain age the kachina's appear and lead him to a kiva where the kachinas remove their masks and reveal themselves to be fathers and uncles and other tribal elders. In this way the boy learns that the spirit of the kachinas lives within everyone and it is up to everyone to protect the community.

So shopping mall Santa is a Kachina of sorts--the physical embodiment of the spirit of Christmas, which lives inside of all of us. We are all Santa Claus.

And there are no penguins north of the Galápagos Islands of Ecuador. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 20

So many people think of the Arctic and Antarctic as “cold snowy places” and associate all the features of one as features of both. When I run trivia nights I often ask “why don’t polar bears eat penguins?” as one of my questions because inevitably there are entire teams of people who scratch their heads and go “don’t they?”

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 12

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2022 at 10:10 PM, Smee said:

“why don’t polar bears eat penguins?”

Oh that's easy. Because they can't get the wrappers off.

5000168187327_T1.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 31

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the family comes along on dates (in general I wouldn't find this snarkable, my husband and I often go on outings with my siblings etc., but this is the Arndts, are they believers in accountabily partners prior to marriage?) and Momma Arndt still gets to put her had on her son's stomach like in the birthday photos.

Screenshot_20230120-111411_Facebook.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 7

On 12/7/2022 at 11:20 AM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I’m feeling defrauded! Paul’s really hot.

NO. LUKE IS THE HOT ARNDT. I will fight you over this

:P /s

• Haha 12

On 12/26/2022 at 2:03 PM, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I suppose you can be generous and think people mean lesser auks when they say "arctic penguins." Auks fly and don't look much like penguins, but they are black and white.

Immediately after I read this, Tom Tomorrow popped up on Twitter with this: 

Screenshot 2023-01-20 4.54.40 PM.png

And this! Tom Tomorrow doesn't allow direct copying of tweets, so I'm doing screen capture. 

Screenshot 2023-01-20 4.59.28 PM.png

• Haha 1

On 12/25/2022 at 5:10 PM, Smee said:

When I run trivia nights I often ask “why don’t polar bears eat penguins?” as one of my questions because inevitably there are entire teams of people who scratch their heads and go “don’t they?”

And you'd be surprised how many people believe reindeer are imaginary creatures (like unicorns)

• WTF 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

And you'd be surprised how many people believe reindeer are imaginary creatures (like unicorns)

I could see someone thinking narwhals are imaginary. Because who has seen one in real life? Not many. But I just saw reindeer at the zoo when we went to see the zoo lights. Plus I liked the movie Prancer as a kid. That was an actual reindeer in the movie. Not a cartoon. 

• Upvote 3

I know reindeer are real I see them on the incredible Dr Pol. One of their big clients who has been on the show many times is a reindeer farm. 

• Upvote 4

Googled, 'cause I wondered vs reindeer and caribou, so here ya go: 

"Reindeer and caribou are the same animal (Rangifer tarandus) and are a member of the deer family. In Europe, they are called reindeer. In North America, the animals are called caribou if they are wild and reindeer if they are domesticated."

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 12

22 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I’ll never forget taking my 2.5-year-old grandson to an outdoor zoo in Reykjavik during a family trip. He spotted them and exclaimed, “Reindeers! They’re for Santa Claus!”

• Love 6

22 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I could see someone thinking narwhals are imaginary. Because who has seen one in real life? Not many. But I just saw reindeer at the zoo when we went to see the zoo lights. Plus I liked the movie Prancer as a kid. That was an actual reindeer in the movie. Not a cartoon. 

One of the reindeer we met at the zoo lights was named Cindy Lou Who.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, Howl said:

Googled, 'cause I wondered vs reindeer and caribou, so here ya go: 

"Reindeer and caribou are the same animal (Rangifer tarandus) and are a member of the deer family. In Europe, they are called reindeer. In North America, the animals are called caribou if they are wild and reindeer if they are domesticated."

Yup--the "rein" means you can put reins on them!

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

Ok I know we've moved past this but I can't get over it.

In this photo Cathy has her hand on her son's stomach birthday-boy style while he is simultaneously trying to hold onto his girlfriend. Cathy's birthday-boy stomach-hand is between. her son. and his girlfriend!

I never thought we'd see the family dynamic summed up in one image like this.

Arndt hand closeup.jpg

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 5
  • Haha 15
  • Thank You 2

Poor wife, Cathy must be the stuff of the subreddit JustNoMIL. I can't even imagine. My partner's mom is a bit ditzy, but sweet and welcomed me into the family. Somehow I don't see Cathy as welcoming.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

I’ve told this story before so I’ll keep it brief. I dated a guy who had a crazy over protective controlling religious mother. The first time I met her she called me a Jezebel and chased me out of her house. Yes, I was the Jezebel but she was on her 7th marriage. Ok lady.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Confused 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 6
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve told this story before so I’ll keep it brief. I dated a guy who had a crazy over protective controlling religious mother. The first time I met her she called me a Jezebel and chased me out of her house. Yes, I was the Jezebel but she was on her 7th marriage. Ok lady.

@JermajestyDuggar, you dodged that bullet!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 14

27 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

@JermajestyDuggar, you dodged that bullet!

Yeah, I was basically done with him after that. I think I still talked to him on the phone so it wasn’t a clean break. But that was the beginning of the end. 

• Upvote 9

• Coconut Flan locked this topic