IGNORED

Safe At Home 6: PIGS ARE FLYING! Luke is Engaged!

nelliebelle1197

47 minutes ago, Anne Of Gray Gables said:

I don't think there is much chance of of that. They'll build a house for them on the Arndt property and Luke's life will continue pretty much as it did before. But I'll have mad respect for him if he proves me wrong.

I wonder if they will build a house or if they'll just give Luke and his wife the master bedroom in the annex, at least until they have children. 

The family is so enmeshed I wouldn't put it past them.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

10 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Thank you so much - I have been slammed at work. Desperately trying to find @HerNameIsBuffy‘a cell phone number so I can call her but I cannot find it! Will be emailing @Palimpsest right now!

Isn't Luke your boy? Admittedly, I have trouble remembering who's who. I know I called dibs on the blond one, but damned if I can remember his name. (Well, currently blond; he seems to have one of the less fortunate hairlines.)

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2022 at 11:16 AM, postscript said:

Those flying pigs are getting quite a workout this year, what with Sarah Maxwell and now an Arndt taking the plunge! It’s time to start taking odds on Jana Duggar and some of the other perennial unmarried.

Don't forget about Elizabeth Botkin! Jana Duggar may very well be next.

On 10/21/2022 at 12:15 PM, Howl said:

And this thread isn't even HOT yet!  I mean, what the actual heck? 

collective stunned shock

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

I looked at Catherine’s Facebook. At first I thought it was a new account, because so little was visible besides the engagement. But her photo albums say she has over 100 past profile pics, they’re just private. 

Her self description is:

35101BC3-595E-4D16-955A-5A7CE2C9B60E.thumb.jpeg.3c95afd85d284805ebd37d1fafcf6633.jpeg

And her engagement post (her one public post) is:

6C071694-85F7-4DE9-BF9D-3D2642BB6C19.thumb.jpeg.59e938579497149e1e3f4500bbb411f8.jpeg

I have so many questions!

Will she and Luke become missionaries? To where?

What is theology of the body?

(Aha! According to Wikipedia: “a series of 129 lectures given by Pope John Paul II”)

Who is Mama T?

(Aha! She’s a Christian podcaster)

What is the domestic church and why does it need restoring?

(Thanks, Knights of Columbus! https://www.kofc.org/en/who-we-are/our-faith/domestic-church.html)

So, Catherine is very Catholic, but also ecumenical. A perfect fit, really.

Apologies if much of this was discussed already while they were dating.

But still—will they become missionaries??

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 19

From her profile, she sounds just as whackjob as the Arndts. She will fit right in. It's a relief: at least she isn't some naif that has no idea of what she is getting into. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 6

She had a more open profile before we found her and Luke dating. She went private after that. All I remember from her profile is that she had a job at what looked like a Christian kids camp. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

I'm curious about Luke's skills.  Is he a court reporter?  And is he one of the skilled photographer? 

Does he have a profession that can independently support a family? 

I wonder how old she is, if she lives with or away from her family and if she works outside the home or in a family business. 

• Upvote 8

10 minutes ago, Howl said:

I'm curious about Luke's skills.  Is he a court reporter?  And is he one of the skilled photographer? 

Does he have a profession that can independently support a family? 

I wonder how old she is, if she lives with or away from her family and if she works outside the home or in a family business. 

If I recall correctly he is one of the court reporters in the family and also part of the wedding photography crew.

• Upvote 4

I also wonder how old Luke’s fiancée is. If she is in her 20’s they easily could have a bunch of kids. If she’s his age maybe not. 

• Upvote 3

The video that John and Mark made about why family is important kind of cracks me up. they talk about how it's important to have family members who can notice when things are different with you or notice if you're not doing something correctly. What they don't understand is, only socializing with people in your own family means that they have a complete bias in what they "notice". It just kills me that they speak logically about some topics, completely neglecting the fact that they are grown men still living at home with their brothers who were literally raise to think the exact same way as them. I wouldn't say that situation creates the critical thinkers that they seem to think they are.

Edited by Eastcoastn
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

2 hours ago, Eastcoastn said:

It just kills me that they speak logically about some topics, completely neglecting the fact that they are grown men still living at home with their brothers who were literally raise to think the exact same way as them. I wouldn't say that situation creates the critical thinkers that they seem to think they are.

Agree. They can seem very clear-ended and rational in their discussions and then suddenly they're contorting themselves into arguments that support their Safe At Home cult life. Complete with really bad analogies and metaphors just like Rick. It's almost like that part of them that was raised by Cathy is perfectly sensible, but Rick's indoctrination always comes out in the end.

• Upvote 11

6 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

From her profile, she sounds just as whackjob as the Arndts.

It's easy to forget that some of the new wives can be just as or more fundy crazy than the fundy husband:  

Luke Botkin's wife

Natty Darnell's wife 

Sarah Maxwell NewName and Elizabeth Botkin NewName are right there with their fundy husbands.  They've been marinated in that way of thinking all of their lives and are continuing on with it in their marriages. 

I'm going to bet that Luke and Cate won't wait long to get married -- I think they are hot to trot and don't want to wait a long time to be married. 

That said, if a house has to be built on the Arndt Borg for them, then that could take awhile. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

So the source who said that Rick broke up Luke and Catherine was either 1.) messing with us, 2.) mistaken, or 3.) correct, and they have since rekindled their relationship.

I am hoping it is #3, because I love a good inside source and if true, it would be such a big FU to Rick and they best sign we have ever seen of an Arndt actually thinking for themself!

• Upvote 20

11 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

From her profile, she sounds just as whackjob as the Arndts. She will fit right in. It's a relief: at least she isn't some naif that has no idea of what she is getting into. 

Mayhaps an unsuspecting whackjob naif who cannot conceive of the challenges before her as a penguin missionary!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

17 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

Mayhaps an unsuspecting whackjob naif who cannot conceive of the challenges before her as a penguin missionary!

Which will be very difficult if they are going to train the penguins to be missionaries!

Spoiler

image.png.9887f07a3fbfbf74b53e4227a2690a85.png

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 21

What? I take a break and an Arndt is engaged? Same thing happened with Sarah Maxwell, I'm leaving again to see if Jana D gets married. Lol

Good for Luke! I bet another manboy will follow soon enough.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 9

An Arndt manboy/ kidult engaged is Huuuuuuuge.  However I'm reserving enthusiasm as engaged isn't married.

As someone said above I also think the engagement will be broken. I just don't see an Arndt marriage happening.

Either Cait will realize the level of enmeshment is too too too too much (e.g., you have to live at the mother ship) or Luke will be guilted/ coerced into breaking it off. 

Something along the lines of: How can he leave the family/ They need him to help support everyone/ We need your help b/c Dad/ You can't get married before your older brothers.

It's highly possible Rick will take Luke on one of his famous father-son long drives and soon after the engagement will be off.

Fearless prediction:  The Arndts/ Luke won't announce the split. The engagement will never be mentioned again. All trace of it will disappear as if it never happened

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2

On 10/22/2022 at 9:21 PM, Naga Viper said:

Isn't Luke your boy? Admittedly, I have trouble remembering who's who. I know I called dibs on the blond one, but damned if I can remember his name. (Well, currently blond; he seems to have one of the less fortunate hairlines.)

Yes he is. I think my shock is keeping me from mourning my loss.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 19

I like the Arndt boy with long curly hair. He’s one of the youngest. I like him the best because he isn’t keeping his hair short like the other brothers. He let it grow longer so he stands out in the group. And I say good for him. Btw, I don’t know the poor kid’s name 😂

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I like the Arndt boy with long curly hair. He’s one of the youngest. I like him the best because he isn’t keeping his hair short like the other brothers. He let it grow longer so he stands out in the group. And I say good for him. Btw, I don’t know the poor kid’s name 😂

Peter. And yep, he's the only one who doesn't get the Arndt regular trim. A few years ago his hair was very long.

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

What? I take a break and an Arndt is engaged? Same thing happened with Sarah Maxwell, I'm leaving again to see if Jana D gets married. Lol

Good for Luke! I bet another manboy will follow soon enough.

I am hoping for an Arndt boy stampede to the alter followed by the pitter patter of little penguin feet.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 11

Since the Arndts seem to be a pretty narrow niche of fundie, if there is another fundie family that fits in with them and some of their eccentricities, then I bet there will be more than one Arndt match in a family like that. I don’t know how large the Cox family is. 

• Upvote 10

29 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Since the Arndts seem to be a pretty narrow niche of fundie, if there is another fundie family that fits in with them and some of their eccentricities, then I bet there will be more than one Arndt match in a family like that. I don’t know how large the Cox family is. 

Perhaps she has 12 sisters and one brother!!🤣

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 23

9 minutes ago, 0 kids n not countin said:

Perhaps she has 12 sisters and one brother!!🤣

There’s only one other fundie family I know of with that kind of ratio. I think it’s 12 daughters and 2 sons. But most of them are already married. And I’m sure they aren’t the right type of penguin fundie. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I like when they don't "look like Arndts" too! Lol! Caleb is a little like that. Looks different and seems to act a bit different too

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic