IGNORED

Trump 52: Now He's The FORMER President! (And Still Impeached Twice)

GreyhoundFan

"Trump botched the perfect getaway"

Boy, did Donald Trump blow it.

There he was, poised to gallop off into the sunset with his lost-cause mythology and his claims of a rigged election more or less intact.

He was leaving a martyr to his most loyal acolytes. He was a demon only to those who hated him from the start. And he was something in between to those who had feared him sometimes and used him other times. Now, they were less afraid, and he was less useful, so they prepared to tiptoe away.

There is no tiptoeing, however, amid an armed insurrection.

The horde of Trump denunciators this week turned huge and vehement. You can’t incite a violent mob to storm the seat of our democracy and expect every enabler to continue enabling you. Certainly not if you’ve recently become a loser.

Admittedly, defections among lawmakers and other elites may not do much to repel the fever-swamp dwellers who attempted Wednesday’s coup (or who insist it was dastardly antifa-masquerading-as-MAGAmen who attempted the overthrow the government). And, admittedly, Trump probably doesn’t care too much about a legislative censure. The loss of the juggernaut that was his Twitter account may sting more sharply, as will the slow and steady shutting down of alternative platforms such as Parler.

What hurts most is precisely what never would have happened at all had Trump gone gently into the night — and it starts with golf.

“We find ourselves in a political situation not of our making,” the chief executive of the Professional Golfers’ Association of America told the Associated Press after announcing that the PGA would withdraw its 2022 golf championship from Trump Bedminster. “We’re fiduciaries for our members, for the game, for our mission and for our brand. And how do we best protect that?”

Not, of course, by affiliating with an aspiring autocrat. Trump, who has hit the links more than 300 times during his tenure, was reportedly “gutted” by the loss of the event.

Potentially being impeached? Yes, he was angry about that. But losing the PGA was a “different order of magnitude.”

Reduced by orders of magnitude could be the business executive’s fortune.

The PGA is but a drop in a bucketful of severed relationships: American Express and Mastercard say they won’t make contributions to candidates who tried to block the certification of results; Visa is suspending all donations as it reviews. American Airlines, AT&T, Best Buy, Coca-Cola, Comcast, Ford — the list goes on. They’re all hitting pause on the giving, or restricting gifts to the complicit. Even Deutsche Bank, Trump’s primary lender for two decades, is saying auf wiedersehen.

The post-presidency has been a lucrative gig ever since Gerald Ford started traveling what Ronald Reagan called the “mashed-potato circuit” — even without the hefty annual pension afforded former commanders in chief. Jimmy Carter, eating salmon and broccoli casserole on a paper plate while sipping on bargain-brand chardonnay, was never the norm. Bill Clinton has racked up tens of millions of dollars in speeches. George W. Bush declared upon leaving the Oval Office that he intended to “replenish the ol’ coffers.” Barack Obama has leaned into branding, hard. Book deals are old news; the hot game now is Netflix and Spotify production deals.

Trump, by contrast, was always trying to make money when he was still in office, telling Fortune that he might be the first hopeful to come out of his run richer than when he entered it. This boast turned out also to be a bluff; the reality TV star by all accounts is poorer now than he was four years ago, despite pouring taxpayer money into Mar-a-Lago by hosting summits there or hoovering up the dollars of diplomats at some of his other properties. (The so-called winter White House did manage to double its initiation fee, turning into the go-to destination for glitzy, glamorous GOP events. “Where big donors go to see and be seen,” as The Post put it. )

Today, it seems no one wants to be seen next to Trump. The grimmest possible fate for this disgraced politician has little to do with politics, where social distancing from a lame-duck president is standard procedure. For the founder of Trump Hotels, and Trump Steaks, and Trump Vodka, and Trump Anything and Everything the guy could get his name on, doom arrives when the whole world at once tries to cast off his brand.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

7 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

I thought it was interesting he kept shitting on New York considering how much of his business is there. He is not a smart man.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 11

14 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Why am I unsurprised that this mob breached copyright again? Geez guys, play music from the idiots that agree with you - and even then, get permission.

At least the lyrics were unintentionally fitting.

Gloria is not an original song either .  I just found out , after looking it up that it was composed , and performed , by this Italian , Umberto Tozzi , then later given completely new English lyrics , which was later covered by Laura Branigan . Supposedly , these are the original lyrics translated into English .  

Gloria,
you are missing in the air,
one hand is missing,
working slowly,
this mouth is missing,
THAT FOOD NO LONGER TOUCH
and always this story
that she calls Gloria.
Gloria,
on your hips in
the morning the sun
comes in hate and comes out love
from the name Gloria. Gloria,
you are missing in the air, you are
missing like salt, you are missing more than the
sun
melt this snow
that suffocates my chest I
wait for you Gloria.

Gloria, Gloria,
country church, Gloria,
water in the desert, Gloria,
I leave my heart open, Gloria,
run away without making a sound,
from work from your bed
from the steps of an altar
I wait for you Gloria.
Gloria, Gloria,
country church, Gloria,
from work from your bed
I wait for you Gloria. Ah, ah, Gloria,
for those who wait for the day
and instead of sleeping,
with their memory go back
to a dip in the poppies,
in a free land
for those who breathe fog,
for those who breathe anger,
for me who without Glory,
with you naked on the sofa
I make cardboard stars
thinking of Gloria. Ah, ah, Gloria,
for those who wait for the day
and instead of sleeping,
with their memory go back
to a dip in the poppies,
in a free land
for those who breathe fog,
for those who breathe anger,
for me who without Glory,
with you naked on the sofa
I make cardboard stars
thinking of Gloria.

Gloria,
sun
melt this snow
wait for you Gloria.  Gloria,
sun
melt this snow
wait for you Gloria.

Gloria, Gloria,
country church, Gloria,
from work from your bed
I wait for you Gloria.

http://www.songlyrics.com/umberto-tozzi/gloria-lyrics/

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, Marmion said:

Gloria is not an original song either .  I just found out , after looking it up that it was composed , and performed , by this Italian , Umberto Tozzi , then later given completely new English lyrics , which was later covered by Laura Branigan . Supposedly , these are the original lyrics translated into English .  

http://www.songlyrics.com/umberto-tozzi/gloria-lyrics/

Surprisingly enough I knew this - it had a bit of a resurgence in Italy when I was there in the early 90s and I ended up looking it up.  I somehow doubt Tozzi would be in favour of it being used at a fascist rally either.

• Upvote 5

It turns out that the President does not need Twitter to address the American people.

(Still not saying that Biden won the election, not saying that nobody should stage protests). kuva.thumb.png.b479fa9748cd1b90f64281f61a0824aa.png

• Confused 1
  • WTF 4
  • Thank You 6

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

Surprisingly enough I knew this - it had a bit of a resurgence in Italy when I was there in the early 90s and I ended up looking it up.  I somehow doubt Tozzi would be in favour of it being used at a fascist rally either.

I doubt so too .  If Trump wanted to use the works of an Italian in his music playlist , a more appropriate choice , in my opinion , would have been Alessandra Mussolini  .  In case anyone is curious , here is a copy of her album , I found on YouTube .  

Spoiler

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

When the realization hits him that his businesses and "the long-term brand" are completely destroyed, I suspect his brain will implode.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 10

1 minute ago, thoughtful said:

@Cartmann99 I don't know how long you've had this, but I just noticed it, and I love it.

Hide contents

image.png.14efe456ad59a45b9cda38a154a4dd2d.png

I changed it earlier today. :my_biggrin:

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7
  • Love 5

33 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

When the realization hits him that his businesses and "the long-term brand" are completely destroyed, I suspect his brain will implode.

Doubt there's enough of it to reach critical mass...and I believe whatever's remaining will continue to scheme...but this has gotta hurt and hurt bad.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Never thought I'd see a headline like this.

impeachedagain.thumb.png.28e0bad30e609b748b58e24a190c181b.png

According to Wikipedia he's the first Federal officer holder of any kind to be impeached twice. 

This is what the main fuck face article says as of post time;

Trump lost the 2020 presidential election to Biden but refused to concede defeat. He attempted to overturn the results by making false claims of electoral fraud, pressuring government officials, mounting dozens of unsuccessful legal challenges, and obstructing the presidential transition. During the counting of the electoral votes on January 6, 2021, Trump urged his supporters to march to the Capitol, which they then stormed, forcing Congress to temporarily evacuate and resulting in the deaths of five people. Seven days later, the House of Representatives impeached him again for "incitement of insurrection", making him the only U.S. president to be impeached twice.

• Upvote 13

It isn't  good enough. He's burning down the house on his way out and leaving a fufking mess for Biden. EPA regulation shenanigans-check, Iran, Tawain, and Cuba shit - check (and fuck Pompeo on this too)...fucker get 45 out now!

• I Agree 10

2 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

It isn't  good enough. He's burning down the house on his way out and leaving a fufking mess for Biden. EPA regulation shenanigans-check, Iran, Tawain, and Cuba shit - check (and fuck Pompeo on this too)...fucker get 45 out now!

Removal won’t undo the mess he made in the past four years anyway. Biden knows what he’s up against.

And anyway, removal is not the worst punishment for him. You can live through a couple of days more with him in office. However, Trump being banned from ever holding public office again, which is what the Dems are going for, is something Trump cannot live with. Now his brand is toxic and investors and bankers are dropping him at lightening speed, his only recourse to get the money he so desperately needs to pay all those debts coming due in the coming years, is to use campaign donations as his slush fund. But when he is barred from holding public office, he can’t campaign... and poof, there goes his only means of making money. 
So he’ll be left with enormous debts and no way to finance his upcoming legal fees.

I’m really enjoying that thought.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 8

His lawyers wrote that press release, not him. He's just sorry that the coup didn't succeed.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 10

4 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

However, Trump being banned from ever holding public office again, which is what the Dems are going for, is something Trump cannot live with. Now his brand is toxic and investors and bankers are dropping him at lightening speed,

I too am really, really enjoying this thought but he doesn't have to burn everything down on his way out and make it harder for Biden. He really doesn't give a fuck for this country. I also don't want him getting any secret service, pay, medical etc.

January 20th cannot come soon enough.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 14

29 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

I too am really, really enjoying this thought but he doesn't have to burn everything down on his way out and make it harder for Biden. He really doesn't give a fuck for this country. I also don't want him getting any secret service, pay, medical etc.

January 20th cannot come soon enough.

The thing that bothers me the most is McConnell playing dirty tricks again once the impeachment trial starts. I wouldn’t put it past him that he is going to do his damnedest to stall and drag out the procedures as much as he possibly can. Not because he doesn’t want to convict Trump, mind you, but because as long as there is an impeachment trial going on, there can’t be confirmation hearings for Biden’s administration nominees.

(Although I have read somewhere that Biden has planned for that eventuality)

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

This aged well. 
37DC526D-BA11-49E2-95C0-AC3E6472DE30.thumb.jpeg.78b499c61403f4a3817bf32ebfe81ec6.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 28

• Destiny pinned this topic
  • GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic