IGNORED

Trump 52: Now He's The FORMER President! (And Still Impeached Twice)

GreyhoundFan

1 hour ago, Not that josh's mom said:

When are people going to take down their Trump banners, flags and signs?  I still see a lot of them in my small town and the two small towns near me (in Iowa). Do they still believe the election results will change? After Wednesday's atrocities how can they still display Trump anything? There is absolutely nothing to be proud of! I have COPD or I'd be running up in yards and porches yanking those suckers down. I hated seeing them before the election, but now they are so incredibly offensive.

Considering people still fly the Confederate Flag, I’m not holding my breath the Trump Flags will be removed anytime soon

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

1 minute ago, FiveAcres said:

I've seen speculation that Georgia could bring criminal charges for when he was trying to lean on the SOS to change the vote counts. 

It is going to be a tough ten days still, but I hope the Trump Family crime spree is going to soon come to an end. 

Yes, in my current stress I remind myself that at least for Trump himself, his house of cards is about to come completely tumbling down and it will be truly glorious to watch. 

His kids have several pending charges too, including several in New York for Ivanka. I also don't think there's as much money there as they claim, which is why they've been fundraising for this "election integrity" fund. They will also be poison for any mainstream brand, even mainstream conservative brands after last Wednesday, so they can forget about paying their bills via major books deals, endorsements, or talk show appearances.

Someone might even end up in an orange jumper. I can hardly wait. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

If Wednesday and the aftermath didn’t wake people up, I doubt it woke him up.  I think he is just full of himself enough to believe he is right and if he is prosecuted or stripped of his Peesidency he and his followers will call it persecution and conspiracy.  

it’ll be like a reality tv show where the loser or poorly viewed contestant claims bad editing or conspiracy or they would have won if only it wasn’t for those evil producers and their rules.  I always laugh when watching some of those and a contestant realizes they are. Ext to go so they do something huge to seal their fate or quit before being voted out and then claim “if I wouldn’t have done xyz, I would won”. 

• Upvote 10

This is going to go down like a hot brick. "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Senate, my client did not incite violence against you. He merely advocated that you should be executed."

• Upvote 15
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

Trump doesn't matter anymore - his job is done. He's worked his followers into a frenzy, and they can rile one another up.

One of his supporters took it upon themselves to create a propaganda video from one of his speeches. It was very dystopian and, as it ended with the Lord's Prayer (!) very Handmaid's Tale-esque. It certainly looked and sounded like a(nother) "call to action".

There is a part of me wondering if any of the insurrectionists at Wednesday's "rally" might feel themselves too sick come the 19th to go out and create more chaos. At least one person there was COVID positive, and they weren't masking.

Edited by AmericanRose
  • Upvote 14

23 minutes ago, KWLand said:

Considering people still fly the Confederate Flag, I’m not holding my breath the Trump Flags will be removed anytime soon

The house just before my complex still had the two Trump flags on either side of the driveway as of Wednesday afternoon.  I doubt that’s changed.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

I think he's alienated the military enough at this point that it would likely ignore any insane "drop the nukes" commands. (I am still REALLY interested on how that order from Pence to deploy the National Guard bypassed Trump and was still obeyed. There's a story there.)

The story that I heard is that Pence called them and explained that HE was in danger.  That's the only work-around from getting presidential approval.  If the VP is in danger, he can call for help himself.

And Delusional Don still thinks someone or something will save him.  Think about it -- he's never faced real consequences before.  Everything else was about being bailed out and any lost money could be called a business deduction.  People could be paid off.  Cases could be dragged through court over and over until the opposition could no longer afford the legal fees.  He's never really been cornered before.  That probably makes him dangerous.

His followers are full-on fruitcakes.  The ones that I know still think he's the best president that we've ever had.  I don't confront or discuss.  This is just from overhearing conversations.  I did tell one fundie friend that I thought he was the anti-Christ but that was because I couldn't bear to listen one more minute.  In order to deprogram, we're going to need apologies from Fox -- and OANN and Newsmax will need to be sued into oblivion.  Fortunately, natural forces seem to be handling the future of Rush Limbaugh.

Edited by Xan
  • Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1

I think the chances of a successful Trump coup are basically nil at this point

I'm worried about the comeback tour - it won't be Trump, but Trump Jr, Ivanka, some charismatic and fascist senator. 4-10 years from now, they will show up if we don't find a way to fix this and fast. 

(I am still REALLY interested on how that order from Pence to deploy the National Guard bypassed Trump and was still obeyed. There's a story there.)

I read that Pence and others were unable to contact the President and, as such, they were able to leverage that into him being in charge, with those permissions. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I'm worried about the comeback tour - it won't be Trump, but Trump Jr, Ivanka, some charismatic and fascist senator. 4-10 years from now, they will show up if we don't find a way to fix this and fast

Don Jr. has a website (donjr.com) and is collecting email addresses (so when big tech cancels him he can let people know where he lands). Looks to me like he thinks he is the heir apparent. His website looks like a campaign already.

Edited by molecule
  • Upvote 7
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 4

16 minutes ago, Xan said:

In order to deprogram, we're going to need apologies from Fox -- and OANN and Newsmax will need to be sued into oblivion.  Fortunately, natural forces seem to be handling the future of Rush Limbaugh.

@nausicaa, here is part of the answer to your question why people believe (in) Trump. They have been fed a steady diet of lies and deception from so-called news networks for decades. Couple that with corrupt politicians exacerbating these lies and using them to garner votes. These people have been told for so many years, some even their whole lives, that they are victims and everyone is out to get them. Social media has offered a place to expand their beliefs to conspiracy theories that grew ever more bizar, and the ‘news’ networks fanned those flames and gave the conspiracies legitimacy. Even politicians began spouting them— in fact there is now a Qanon representative in the House.

It’s not surprising at all that so many people still believe and support Trump. They are living proof that propaganda works.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6

I'm expecting to read a news story about Trump trying to convince his staffers to arrange a rally for him. I know that sounds insane after what's happened, but his narcissistic supply's been severed, and you know how addicts are when they need a fix.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

42 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

I'm expecting to read a news story about Trump trying to convince his staffers to arrange a rally for him. I know that sounds insane after what's happened, but his narcissistic supply's been severed, and you know how addicts are when they need a fix.

I just posted something without making sure my information was verified. So ummm never mind 

Edited by onekidanddone
  • Upvote 1

Trump continues, unless someone in a position to know convincingly indicates otherwise, to have access to the White House chef, sensitive information, and Air Force One.  He may be worried, but I doubt he's feeling deprived.  I think he's still enjoying the benefits of his position, believing that he can once again find a way out of his mess.  While the news continues to blow up, providing effective distraction, I'd expect him to be working on an escape plan.  Who's ensuring that he, his adult spawn, and other enablers can't leave the country for parts unknown during the next week and a half?  If he gets away I believe his miscreants will be cheering him as a triumphant hero for a very long time to come.

3 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

He is having a rally in Texas this Thursday and of course it is on the government’s dime.  He has no reason to hold back anymore, so look for him to be much more explicit in his call to violence 

Rally for what??

• Upvote 6

Don’t knowing this was posted elsewhere too, but...

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

29 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Trump continues, unless someone in a position to know convincingly indicates otherwise, to have access to the White House chef, sensitive information, and Air Force One.  He may be worried, but I doubt he's feeling deprived.  I think he's still enjoying the benefits of his position, believing that he can once again find a way out of his mess.  While the news continues to blow up, providing effective distraction, I'd expect him to be working on an escape plan.  Who's ensuring that he, his adult spawn, and other enablers can't leave the country for parts unknown during the next week and a half?  If he gets away I believe his miscreants will be cheering him as a triumphant hero for a very long time to come.

Rally for what??

I realized after I posted that I didn’t make sure it was accurate. Since then I’ve done more checking. I believe he is going to visit his big beautiful wall. 

• Upvote 5

43 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

I realized after I posted that I didn’t make sure it was accurate. Since then I’ve done more checking. I believe he is going to visit his big beautiful wall. 

At least we can be pretty sure that Mexico doesn't want him.

• Upvote 7

Also, to clarify Trump's visit to Texas:  he's going to Alamo, TX in the Rio Grande Valley, near the border with Mexico.  

Many assumed (incorrectly) that he was going to The Alamo, the historic location in San Antonio, TX, which 230 miles north. 

Many others assumed Trump followers would end up at Alamo Rent a Car, wondering where the action is. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 28
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, smittykins said:

The house just before my complex still had the two Trump flags on either side of the driveway as of Wednesday afternoon.  I doubt that’s changed.

I went grocery shopping today and a house down the street (in a liberal area) still has a Trump flag flying on top of their house. Their whole front yard was filled with like 30 geese though, so I felt better. 

There was one house a few streets down that had a gigantic trump flag draped over the side of their house, but that went down real quick, it was down the day after the election. 

11 minutes ago, Howl said:

Also, to clarify Trump's visit to Texas:  he's going to Alamo, TX in the Rio Grande Valley, near the border with Mexico.  

Many assumed (incorrectly) that he was going to The Alamo, the historic location in San Antonio, TX, which 230 miles north. 

Many others assumed Trump followers would end up at Alamo Rent a Car, wondering where the action is. 

Who wants to bet he wanted "The Alamo" but because stupidness he said "Alamo, TX?"

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Don’t knowing this was posted elsewhere too, but...

The 25th can’t be done in time if at all. How many cabinet members would sign on? She can go ahead and start impeachment now and if Pence does the right thing fine and if not she can still push ahead

14 minutes ago, Howl said:

Q how much is he going to incriminate himself at this next rally? 
A bigly

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Were they always ticking time bombs just waiting on someone to let loose the crazy? Or were they just impressionable types who happened to get caught up in this and otherwise would have led normal lives?

I just can't wrap my mind around it. If Biden supporters had stormed the Capitol smearing feces and threatening to kill Sanders during the primaries I would have completely lost my shit. I can't comprehend having no objective principles. 

I can have a conversation with people who think abortion is murder. I can have a conversation with people who think we are the world's policeman and so needed to go into Iraq. I don't understand how we are supposed to communicate with a group that believes up is down and the sky is lime green and elites are running a pedophile ring and sending secret signals about it through the media and JFK Jr. has risen from the dead to rescue us along with God's appointed-own Donald Trump. It's like trying to reason with the homeless man who is shouting that he is Osama bin Laden. 

They’ve been like this since a black man was elected president of the United States...twice. They took that as their own death knoll. They immediately started the Tea Party (the precursor of much of this, though, as we all know too well, the deficit only matters when there’s a Democratic administration). Trump saw an opportunity and took advantage. He channeled the hate into a movement.  There is no putting the genie back in the bottle after this. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, HoneyBunny said:

They’ve been like this since a black man was elected president of the United States...twice. They took that as their own death knoll. They immediately started the Tea Party (the precursor of much of this, though, as we all know too well, the deficit only matters when there’s a Democratic administration). Trump saw an opportunity and took advantage. He channeled the hate into a movement.  There is no putting the genie back in the bottle after this. 

Off topic. Just want to say I love your avatar. My Governor (Larry Hogan) said exactly this at a press conference a while back. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

Congresswoman Premila Jayapal on surviving the seige.

Spoiler

On Wednesday, January 6, Pramila Jayapal, a Democratic congresswoman from Washington State, was sitting in the gallery above the House chamber, watching the proceedings to count the Electoral College vote and certify the result of the presidential election, when armed right-wing rioters breached the Capitol Building and began to make their way inside, toward the lawmakers and administrative, custodial, and food-service staff working inside. Jayapal, a longtime immigration activist who worked to negotiate Seattle’s $15 minimum wage before being elected to Washington’s state senate in 2015, then to the U.S. Congress in 2017, heads the House Progressive Caucus. We spoke about Wednesday’s siege, about the particular vulnerability of Black and brown women to violent incursion, and about how her party must now move forward, both in response to the attack and as the governing party moving into a new administration.

Rebecca Traister: What was your experience on Wednesday like?

Pramila Jayapal: There were a number of congresswomen up there in the gallery: Val Demings, Abigail Spanberger, Lisa Blunt Rochester, Sheila Jackson Lee, Terri Sewell … And before anything had really happened — we noticed that there were very few women on the floor.

RT: Why was that?

PJ: The first challenge was going to be the Arizona electoral challenge. And of course the Speaker [Nancy Pelosi] was a woman, and she was presiding, and [California representative] Zoe Lofgren was one of the people managing the proceedings. Almost everyone in the Arizona delegation, and I guess everyone who was seated on the floor who was going to speak, were men.

We all were aware of the danger. Ten days ago, Maxine Waters had raised the issue of our security on a caucus call to the Speaker and asked what the plans would be. And 48 hours before, we had gotten instructions from Capitol police about all the threats: that we had to be on high alert, that we had to get to the Capitol by 9 a.m. before the protesters, that we couldn’t plan on going out, that we should have overnight bags. It was very clear, and everyone understood what the threats were.

As we sat there, my husband texted me, “There’s a big mob of protesters. Are you sure you’re safe there, do you want to come back to the office?” And I said “No, this is the U.S. Capitol Building; the Speaker’s here; this is probably the most secure place to be.”

Then we started getting alerts on our phone that security had been breached. And we began hearing the noises, perhaps even before people on the floor could hear them. We could hear the insurrectionists coming in. Then we saw the Speaker and the leadership being taken off the floor; there was a brief suspension of proceedings, but by then we were seeing all the social-media posts of what was happening outside. And the noise was getting louder and louder.

Before we knew it, everyone on the floor below us had been removed, and … we were still there. And it didn’t look like anyone was coming to get us.

The Capitol police with us seemed very confused about who had the key to the doors. They were closed, but we weren’t sure if they were locked, and we were yelling, “Lock the doors! Lock the doors!” We heard shots being fired, presumably into the chamber.

They told us to take off our masks to put on the gas masks that were under our seats. I just got a knee replaced five weeks ago, and I had a cane. My concern was would I be able to get up and down quickly enough if we needed to get out. Capitol police had barricades up against the doors, and the police were in a half-circle around those barricades with their guns drawn. We were kind of waving and saying, “Hey, how about us? How do we get out of here?” I don’t know how long it was, maybe an hour and a half, until we were finally ushered out and taken down the stairs to a secure location — which was another challenge with my knee. I basically had to hang on to Mikie Sherrill to get down six flights of stairs.

I’m quarantining now because I am convinced that where we ended up, in the secured room — where there were over 100 people and many were Republicans not wearing masks — was a superspreader event.

RT: What was going through your head while you were waiting to go to the secure location?

PJ: My biggest concern was honestly for people’s safety. I think we all understand, but particularly as a woman of color and an immigrant woman of color, what happens when you have white nationalist, armed, violent individuals. The threat is extremely real. I just knew this was going to be terrible and consequential. And that it would not be fixable quickly. I saw the Confederate flags on social media. And I saw them put a Confederate flag on the Capitol. I think for people of color, the rising of the Confederacy in such vivid detail … there was an added sense of what this meant for the country beyond what was happening on that day.

I also felt rage. I mean, I wrote that in my first tweet, and then I thought, Maybe I shouldn’t have said that, because we always are aware of what happens to us as brown or Black women, or women generally, when we talk about our anger. But I felt it towards my Republican colleagues and Donald Trump for leading us down this path.

RT: I can’t tell you what relief it is to hear you expressing rage. I understood the importance of going back to finish the vote — but I was also watching the resumption of work and thinking, Where is the fury?

PJ: That reminds me of my questioning of Bill Barr [in July, about the clearing of Lafayette Square during the George Floyd protests] when I said, “I’m beginning to lose my temper.” That [exchange] was about the discrepancy between how the armed, violent, malicious individuals storming the Michigan State Capitol were treated versus the way Black Lives Matter protesters who were peaceful and protesting the murder of George Floyd were treated. I was just furious with him.

I got so many women in particular tweeting at me, emailing me, Facebook posting about how glad they were that I said I was losing my temper and how important it was for them to hear a woman with some power in Congress say that, and give voice to that, because it validated the rage that people have been feeling across the country.

I got an email from a wealthy, progressive, white male donor who was basically saying, “I don’t think it’s the right path to call for the 25th Amendment and impeachment. In fact, maybe Trump has done us favor with this,” or some language along that line. This is a good person, so I’m not trying to throw shade. But no person of color, no woman of color, certainly, would say anything like that. The lack of awareness of the consequence of what has been happening in this country, and what it means to see a Confederate flag raised and a noose hung … to see the most violent, destructive assault on the Capitol since the War of 1812 … I mean, this is unprecedented. For people to want to say “We want to move on, and we can’t focus on this” completely ignores the depth of the problem and the trauma associated with what we just went through.

They came with guns. They were armed. They were clothed in bulletproof vests; they were shooting towards the chamber in the Capitol. They desecrated the Capitol, broke into offices, the office of the parliamentarian. Had the Electoral College certification votes been there, they would’ve taken them. No question.

RT: This all happened within months of the failed plan to kidnap and kill Gretchen Whitmer, and some of the rioters on Wednesday were there with zip-ties.

JP: Yes. And they had talked about hostages. This was all done in the open! They’ve been planning this in the open, and Donald Trump has been encouraging this in the open for days. Actually, he’s been encouraging it pretty much for his whole presidency.

The lack of security at the Capitol is not an accident. It is very clear to me that there were breaches of our law-enforcement agencies. The fact that there were no barriers, that they were essentially allowed in. And again, the discrepancy of what would have happened if these had been peaceful Black Lives Matter protesters … Believe me, they would not have been anywhere near that building. And there would have been a lot of arrests.

RT: You yourself have had the experience of being arrested within the Capitol complex, right? You were one of 600 people arrested during a protest against the family separation at the Hart Senate Office Building in 2018.

JP: [Laughs] Yes!

RT: And you were a sitting congresswoman at the time.

JP: Yes, I was. We were all peaceful. There were 500 women singing and refusing to leave. We were warned that if we didn’t, we would be arrested, and we all agreed to be arrested because we wanted to draw attention to the travesty of thousands of children being separated from their parents.

Then there were 250 people arrested during the Kavanaugh hearings. And then, of course, we know what happened during the Black Lives Matter protests and the National Guard being called in. Yet on Wednesday, there were no barricades. The National Guard didn’t show up until very late in the day. And Capitol police essentially allowed protesters to come in. We’re a country that, to my great chagrin, spends $750 billion on the military. And yet we can’t protect our own U.S. Capitol? To me, that’s no accident.

RT: So what does your party need to do, moving forward, in response to what happened?

PJ: I believe we have to reconvene immediately. I was proud of us for going back into the chamber and finishing the job because we had to make sure Joe Biden and Kamala Harris would be the next president and vice-president. But we’re not done. So I’ve called for the vice-president to invoke the 25th Amendment. We’re about to inaugurate a new president in 13 days. How can we be sure that we are secure to do that?

Those insurrectionists got on planes and are laughing all the way back to wherever they came from. Members of Congress ended up on those same planes, and I’ve been hearing reports, from women primarily, of how they were mocked and taunted by these people who see [Wednesday’s events] as a great victory, the fact that they’ve got all these videos of them bashing windows and taking over Pelosi’s desk, with no consequence. So we need to get this president out.

Then there are investigations that need to continue. We have a lot of work to do to address all the crises that face our country: the racial-justice crisis, the economic crisis, and the pandemic. But we have to hold this president and all the people who were part of this accountable, because otherwise what message does it send to the next person who comes in and refuses to have any allegiance to the Constitution?

The other thing that we have to do is an immediate and thorough investigation into the security pieces of this. Why were there pictures of Capitol police taking selfies with these insurrectionists? Videos of barriers being open to let the crowd through? They said, “We were overpowered.” How could that be?

RT: You began by noting your extra awareness of vulnerability as a woman of color. Women, progressive women, Black women especially, members of the Squad — these are among those who have been particularly villainized by this faction. How much were you thinking about that as this was happening?

PJ: I know my friend Ilhan [Omar] has dealt with so much, in particular, because she is not only an immigrant, not only a woman, not only highly visible progressive, but also Muslim. One of the things I looked for immediately when this started was to see if any members of the Squad were on the floor, and I didn’t see any of them. And I was really relieved that they weren’t. I was just hoping that they were tightly locked away in their offices.

But I had another realization: One of my colleagues was talking about how she had instructed her staff to wear just regular casual clothes in case they needed to blend in with the crowd at any point, and she herself was wearing black pants and a black turtleneck because she wanted to fit in if she needed to. And when I saw that description, I thought to myself … that’s not an option for me. That’s not an option …

[Jayapal briefly chokes up]

RT: Would you prefer if I not include, when I write up this interview, that you just cried a bit?

PJ: As long it’s clear that I was able to control myself quickly.

RT: I think women often reflexively cry when we are angry.

PJ: Oh, totally. I like to say that it’s a good thing when we cry because policy-making is better when you have emotion about it. I think this whole myth that you have to be dispassionate, that you can’t feel things, was constructed by men in power and is an excuse for why we have bad policies. But when you feel the pain of a family not having health care or losing their home, or being in poverty or losing a child to police violence, you are more inclined to address it.

RT: Speaking of good and bad policy: How do you want to help steer your party, heading into this next administration, where Democrats have the presidency and the House and now a limited Senate?

PJ:  I feel like our job, as Democrats, broadly speaking, is to show people that we have their backs. That government is a force for opportunity, for addressing and alleviating crisis. Now that we have control of the Senate, as slight as it is, we have a real opportunity to get this done. That means immediate expansive COVID relief. That is everything from economic proposals that meet the scale of the crisis, that put money directly in people’s pockets, that address homelessness as well as the immigration status of our frontline workers. You can’t call somebody expendable and essential; that’s just not possible. So we should give them all green cards to be here. It also includes canceling student debt, because the financial cliff that people are going to be at is enormous, and we can do this with budget reconciliation quickly.

It should include increasing the minimum wage for at least all federal employees, then we should figure out if we can get a $15 minimum wage passed as well. A second very important area is around democracy reform: We have to not just fix and restore the Voting Rights Act; we have to expand it. We’ve got to give D.C. statehood and the power to vote. Honestly, what happened yesterday is even more argument for why D.C. needs to be a state. Not just so that people can vote but so that [leaders] have the power to control what happens in the city.

Then there’s a whole set of things around putting people back to work. Green, renewable energy infrastructure but also our family infrastructure. We think about infrastructure as just being roads and bridges, but what about our child-care workers, our domestic workers, our long-term-care workers, paid family leave?

And, of course, the reckoning with race. Taking on structural racism and addressing it from every level, including a Reparations Study Commission and a Truth Commission, as well as justice and policing. Part of taking on race is immigration. We can address immigration in multiple places, but it has to be done because Trump has taken tools that were given to him and really used them to demonize and vilify immigrants. We need to take those tools away.

RT: So you’re arguing that Democrats need to think big and aggressively.

PJ: Trump is both a problem in and of himself but also a symptom of all the things that the government has not done for people. That’s what led people to lose faith. It’s led people to somebody they think is just going to throw things into chaos, like Trump, or it’s led to people staying home. And we did a lot of work — Stacey Abrams, Latosha Brown, so many activists across the country in Arizona, Georgia, who built infrastructure — to convince people that they should give us one more shot to trust that the government will step in and do something that matters. We’ve got to deliver.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 12
  • Love 3

• Destiny pinned this topic
  • GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic