IGNORED

RIP Alex Trebek

smittykins

I was holding out so much hope that there could be a miracle for Alex.

I know I should be above this but I was always so proud of the fact that he was Canadian. Then he became an American citizen and I was still proud because I thought this is great that means we can “share” him.

He carried this fight with grace and courage.  The world is less bright this morning.  Rest well and in peace Alex. 

• Upvote 5

2020 strikes again

Alex Trebek, the genial "Jeopardy!" host with all the answers and a reassuring presence in the TV game-show landscape for five decades, has died. He was 80 years old.

"Jeopardy! is saddened to share that Alex Trebek passed away peacefully at home early this morning, surrounded by family and friends," said a statement shared on the show's Twitter account Sunday. "Thank you, Alex."

The cause of death was not immediately announced. Trebek revealed in March 2019 he had been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, triggering an outpouring of support and well wishes at the time.

Trebek is survived by his wife, Jean, who he married in 1990, and his three children.

• Sad 6

I feel just about as bad about this as I did about the passing of Charles Schulz some 20 years ago. Peanuts meant so much to me growing up, and I cried buckets when I heard that its creator had passed.

And now Alex Trebek is gone. I don't think I have ever missed an episode of Jeopardy except when I was working retail and had to work evening shifts (back in the days before DVR). We record it every night and watch later so we can ff through the commercials. My son adored the show when he was little; even as a toddler he would stand in front of the TV and dance to the theme song, and he loved the Daily Double signal. He still, at 31, watches the show with us sometimes. I like to tease him about how much better he is now at getting the answers than he was at the age of six. LOL. 

Trebek has been such a sane and steady constant through the years. And for me, silly as it may sound, a comfort as well in these last months. I'm grateful he was able to film enough episodes to get us almost through the rest of this godawful year, although I know he was in pain for much of the time. Thank you and bless you, Alex, and may you rest in peace. You will be much missed. ❤️ 

• Upvote 3