IGNORED

Dillards 87: Experts on Everything!

samurai_sarah

On 10/31/2020 at 8:17 AM, marmalade said:

I just looked up Jill. She's registered as a Republican.

My official party affiliation has nothing to do with my actual politics. It just means I’m registered to vote in an area that is completely dominated by one party and if I want to have a say in who is actually running local offices I have to vote in that party’s primary—because whomever gets nominated from the other party has no chance in Hell of actually getting elected. 

I’m not saying that Jill doesn’t vote straight R, just that official party registration doesn’t mean anything other than that you voted in that party’s primary. 

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, Vivi_music said:

Something I don't understand, so maybe some American's will be able to explain, when you have to register, what is the process? Like do you have things to fill, administrative procedures? What does ''registering'' implies?

It involves checking a box at the DMV/BMV when you are getting your drivers license or filling out a card and mailing it in. 

States may offer additional ways to register but this is the bare minimum as set out by federal law. 

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, CakeandPunch said:

Hi, Free Jinger *waves*. I've been following Jill and Derick's story since the last year,  it's been discussed everywhere. I was kinda reluctant to join, but I had to after i read a discussion about reality tv pay. Firstly I think Derick is lying, telling half truths, trolling and grifting. I don't believe adult participants of a show wouldn't  get paid, especially a show where they are the main focus. I have never heard of such a thing.  Also when Jacob Roloff complained about being cheated out of money he made as a teen. A source told the media the ALL children on tlc shows get a bank account for there earnings.  Jacob comments seemed to be directed at his parents, since by law they could take a certain percentage of his earnings.  The honey boo kids also claim they were paid.  If I remember correctly one of them sued their mother for stealing their money.But, those were kids. Derick and Jill are adults. Here is my question. Who is Jim Bob? Why would he be in charge of who gets paid.? Why would  TLC be afraid of him? And now people are speculating that only Jeremy and Jinger get paid?  What about Austin and Joy? His family knows something about reality tv. It doesn't make sense. 

The biggest problem I have is Derick keeps  telling contradicting stories. First his says putting kids on tv is child abuse and then he says he wants to be on  Counting On again. One minute they don't want anymore kids then it's we'll have how many god gives us.  He has told so many different stories about everything . I just read on another forum that he once said he had a contract with TLC and it prevented him for doing something else. Another thing is I think he's telling  us what  we want to hear. It's trolling. When he said Joy and Austin were leaving the show he knew that wasn't true, but all of the snarkers were excited when we saw that promo without the Forsyths.   He claims he didn't get paid because  JB and Michelle claimed the show was a ministry.  Sure they've said something like that, but they never claimed they didn't get paid. The snarkers have always wondered if the Duggar parents used that phrase to get out of paying their children.  I bet there are other examples.

Here is my theory about Derick: He is mad at TLC because they refused to film his mission work . He recently admitted that TLC didn't want to film in Central America. If he wasn't being filmed, he wasn't paid. I don't  think he was done with the show at that point.  Angry, he began to lash out at the network. He went too far with his comments about Jazz Jennings and Nate Berkus  so the network fired him. This is why in their statement on his firing, TLC said "We haven't filmed his family for months"  They also said they don't plan on filming with them again. For those who have said why would he say those things if he hadn't already quit, have you heard of Nene Leakes, lol. Their stories are kinda similar. Another theory I have is Derick may be a little upset about Jeremy and Austin, but especially Jeremy, coming on the show. His time as the main storyline was over.  Have we ever seen him with his brothers-in-law?  As for Jim Bob and Michelle, I think there is tension in their relationship with the Dillards, but I don't think we know why. Jill has said her parents love her and she loves her parents. Both couples have said they hope to reconcile. It really doesn't sound like "they didn't pay me and don't allow me in there home".

A few other things I want to point out.  I don't think JB bought the Vuolous a house. Jeremy played professional soccer and had speaking gigs. I'm sure he had some money. Plus I don't care how small his congregation was, preachers in America make money. Storefront preachers have private jets, lol. To those of you saying JB pays everyone in houses. Who has he bought a house for? Does he pay all the utilities and  maintenance?  How do the Duggar kids buy clothes, vacations, etc. ? Wouldn't it be easier to pay them money? Also lots of reality stars and some regular stars have youtube channels and rent homes. It doesn't mean they aren't paid. 

I didn't think this would be so long, but I have a lot of thoughts about this.

I agree that Derick is not sincere and has a lot of issues. But I highly doubt Jill could publicy lie against her parents. Saying she wasn't paid, if she was, is a too big lie. Jill is not that cold or mean... Also, if kids had been paid, I'm sure Jessa or others would have said it, to defend their parents. For example implying they bought a house or set a business with their show money ot whatever. They are all silent, while parents are accused of getting their kids money? It makes me think here is a lot of truth in Jill and Derick words IMO.

I think each reality show has its rules and contracts and it's enterely possible TLC deal with Duggars is different than their deals with other families. Remeber that they consider their show a ministry, and their house a church. Maybe that's why the contract is different and children didn't earned anything.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 10

I am going to strongly assume Jill's seen Napoleon Dynamite, but maybe her going along with Derrick is more likely... Still, here's hoping Jill has actually seen one of the greatest films of all time!

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, subsaharanafrica said:

It involves checking a box at the DMV/BMV when you are getting your drivers license or filling out a card and mailing it in. 

States may offer additional ways to register but this is the bare minimum as set out by federal law. 

This article (which is a year and a half old) says 36 states allow registration at the DMV: https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/automatic-voter-registration-and-modernization-states. An issue with DMV registration is that most states issue drivers licenses at 16, and the federal minimum age to vote is 18. Since licenses are good for several years, many people don’t return to the DMV when they’re old enough to vote. Some states do have pre-registration for 16 and 17 year olds. Also, poorer and more urban people (who are often minorities) may not drive, so they don’t go to the DMV. 

If you’re doing traditional voter registration, one issue is how available the form is, and whether it’s available in languages other than English. Plus minor mistakes on the form can disqualify you.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, finnlassie said:

I am going to strongly assume Jill's seen Napoleon Dynamite, but maybe her going along with Derrick is more likely... Still, here's hoping Jill has actually seen one of the greatest films of all time!

If she starts going on about the tots or saying GOSH ironically, we'll have our answer.  

As for registering to vote in the US, my daughter was the last to register having turned 18 in 2018, she got registered at a protest they were having a voter registration drive, they had people help her fill out the form, and they sent it to the proper county auditor she got her voter card in the mail about 2 weeks later.  It really isn't too hard, you can print the form on line and mail it too the proper office. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

Something I don't understand, so maybe some American's will be able to explain, when you have to register, what is the process? Like do you have things to fill, administrative procedures? What does ''registering'' implies?

Because I'm in Canada, and I never had to ''register'' myself for anything. At least in my province, as soon as I was 18 and there was an election, I got my vote invite send. The adress and poll number I was assigned to was written on the invite. Just needed to get there and present an ID. That is it! When I moved, the only thing I needed to do was tell the government my new adress and that was it. Next election we had in my new district, my invite arrived in the mail. I have no idea if it is that simple in other provinces but where I'm from, it is easy peasy. I seriously had very little do to on my part. The nice Big Brother government seems to know everything about me and to be quite frank, I'm fine with it. ?

So the whole idea of registering to vote... I really don't know what it entails.

My high school (NJ) would administer the form to register to vote to all senior students (which are usually 17-turning-18 years old), had us fill them out on the spot, collected them, and submitted them for us. (You can register at 17 as long as you will be 18 at the next election.) It was a standard form with name, birthdate, address, optional political affiliation, signature. It can be done at the DMV, but not everyone drives a car or gets a license, (just like not everyone stays in school through graduation) so I wish it was automatic for all Americans at 18. There's no reason it couldn't be, aside from intentionally trying to suppress voters, of course.  

I realize my high school was probably an outlier; they also had all junior students take mandatory boating licensing courses and administered the test for free because we are a beach town surrounded by water and they cared about safety. Definitely not the norm in many places of the country. 

• Upvote 8

41 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

This article (which is a year and a half old) says 36 states allow registration at the DMV: https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/automatic-voter-registration-and-modernization-states. An issue with DMV registration is that most states issue drivers licenses at 16, and the federal minimum age to vote is 18. Since licenses are good for several years, many people don’t return to the DMV when they’re old enough to vote. Some states do have pre-registration for 16 and 17 year olds. Also, poorer and more urban people (who are often minorities) may not drive, so they don’t go to the DMV. 

If you’re doing traditional voter registration, one issue is how available the form is, and whether it’s available in languages other than English. Plus minor mistakes on the form can disqualify you.

I used to teach high school American government. The other government teacher and I had voter registration cards and presented them to students turning 18 usually with great pomp and some candy to make it seem important to the whole room. Those who graduated at 17 (18th birthday in summer) received it with a graduation card.  We also helped them fill it our and provided return postage. I know a lot of government teachers do this. 
Most college campuses have voter registration drives as well. The DMV is far from the only place to register. Many states allow online registration now as well. You couldn’t open social media this year without registration information popping up for you, too. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

This article (which is a year and a half old) says 36 states allow registration at the DMV: https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/automatic-voter-registration-and-modernization-states

Just a small clarification: it says that 36 states have electronic registration at the DMV/BMV.
Unless a state has an exemption (because either they don’t require you to register to vote in a federal election at all or it allows you to rock up to a polling location on Election Day and register there and then) states must facilitate voter registration at the place where you get your drivers license. It’s required by the Motor Voter Act. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

Alaska changed the voter registration process so that you are automatically registered when you file for your Permanent Fund Dividend, which makes a lot of sense for people who don't live on the road system and don't really drive (they drive, but I'm not sure licensing is as widespread in a village as it is in a non-rural area.) It's been kind of a confusing mess, to be honest, but that's because the State of Alaska finds the most complicated and expensive way to do any task.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Voter ID laws are controversial in the US because we have a history of poll taxes and which have been deemed unconstitutional. As it currently stands, the time and monetary cost of getting an ID can be prohibitive, and disproportionately impacts Black people and people with disabilities. If IDs were made available free of charge and with minimal burden in terms of travel or wait time, then they would be less controversial for people on the left, but leaders on the right tend to oppose efforts to make it easier to get identification. It’s almost as if one political party in the US doesn’t wants to deliberately make it as difficult as possible for people to vote.

For those who need a concrete example of how identification laws disenfranchise voters, my hometown does not have a DMV. The nearest DMV is more than an hour away. When my grandmother stopped driving, she also stopped renewing her drivers license on a regular basis. If voter ID laws were enacted, she would’ve had to coordinate a ride to the DMV in order to update her ID, plus spend hours waiting in line. It would easily take up a full day of her time, plus whoever gave her a ride. Another way people struggle to secure a valid ID is layers of additional documentation like birth certificates or passports, and outdated requirements like utility bills delivered by mail (with print outs of online bills deemed invalid). For people who don’t have a lot of time or a lot of money it can be very difficult to get an updated ID. Most of the voter ID laws in the US have been drafted to be a specially onerous because they are actually about voter suppression, not election security.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

I’m not sure if it’s a state or national rule, but I registered to vote at 17 and half. I ranked my AP gov test, and my teacher said if we registered to vote at our school’s registration event, we’d get extra credit. I was fairly politically active in high school, so I was going to register at 18 anyway, but the extra credit didn’t hurt lol. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Gallup party affiliation trends since 2004: https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx

You'll see that 60% are either Democratic or Republican and 38% Independent. So, no, the majority of Americans are not Independent. 

Many states do not have open primaries, so your voting pattern in primaries is not at all the norm. Only 20 states have completely open primaries.

I should have written my statement differently: I meant the percentage of independents (38%) is larger than the percentage of Republicans (29%) or the percentage Democrats (31%). Not that there were more independents than Rs+Ds combined. 

And yes, I'm very lucky to live in an open primary state. I didn't suggest what I do is the norm. 

14 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Majority no, but a greater % than self identify as either Republican or Democrat.

Yes, this is what I meant. 

1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

I got my registration at the library after moving to a different state, along with the library card.

Yes, there's almost always a table in the lobby of my library for people to register to vote. In the spring at my high school, we often had a table outside the cafeteria with some reps from the League of Women Voters getting the seniors registered. Which is where I think I did it? I'm not sure and I don't know how I've forgotten this. 

Edited by nausicaa

17 minutes ago, Mabel said:

I’m not sure if it’s a state or national rule, but I registered to vote at 17 and half. I ranked my AP gov test, and my teacher said if we registered to vote at our school’s registration event, we’d get extra credit. I was fairly politically active in high school, so I was going to register at 18 anyway, but the extra credit didn’t hurt lol. 

17 year olds can vote in primaries if they will turn 18 before the general election. Plus many states have voter registration deadlines weeks before the election. It makes sense to go ahead and register teens who will be old enough to vote in the next general election, otherwise anyone born in October would potentially miss out on voting during the year they turn 18.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Since not everyone has an ID apparently in the US, how does the police write their fines? Don’t you have to ID yourself when they fine you?

• Upvote 5

My daughter turned 18 in September, and the state automatically sent her a voter registration form in the mail.  It took her 2 minutes to complete it and place it back in the mail.  She is now a registered voter, and went for early voting last week.  I am middle-aged, and have voted in every presidential election since I was 18.  I don't remember ever using a paper ballot.  It's always been an electronic voting booth, though I realize that each state is different.  Ballots are confidential, though you can research and determine if a person is registered as a Dem or Repub.  

As for IDs, my state also allows for online renewal, probably to prevent too much congestion at the DMV.  My license expired last year, and they sent me a letter stating that I could renew and pay online, which I did.  I have only physically visited the DMV once in many years.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

Since not everyone has an ID apparently in the US, how does the police write their fines? Don’t you have to ID yourself when they fine you?

This is a good question and I'm not quote sure of all of the procedures.

There is a Supreme Court case that ruled it is unconstitutional to require people to have identification to show police officers. I believe even if you have identification, you do not have to provide it. You do have to truthfully state your name and they can detain you for a while if you are suspected of something until they can confirm your identity. I think they can even fingerprint you.

All of this is moot in the case of a vehicular incident. You are expected to have a driver's license on you whenever you are operating a motor vehicle and can be charged for failing to have one.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

In my state, you can vote without ID. You just have to know a poll worker, and have them identify you. This is mostly used in very small, off road communities. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

There is no law requiring US citizens to own or carry any form of official identification while in the US.  Some activities require identification, such as driving, but a US citizen walking down the street in the US is not obligated to carry identification. If the police want to identify a person, that person is supposed to give them their name, date of birth, and/or other information that the police can use to confirm their identity. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

59 minutes ago, mpheels said:

There is no law requiring US citizens to own or carry any form of official identification while in the US.  Some activities require identification, such as driving, but a US citizen walking down the street in the US is not obligated to carry identification. If the police want to identify a person, that person is supposed to give them their name, date of birth, and/or other information that the police can use to confirm their identity. 

But then you can easily lie? Sounds so illogical to me.

Also, here a driving license counts as official ID so I can also use it to vote. Only for traveling abroad we need an official ID or passport. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

But then you can easily lie? Sounds so illogical to me.

Also, here a driving license counts as official ID so I can also use it to vote. Only for traveling abroad we need an official ID or passport. 

You can lie, and it happens all the time. But they do look you up in a database, so if the name/birthdate you give are inconsistent, they’re going to question. Aliases and alternate birthdates/SSNs are also logged into the state database. However, often people get away with using their sibling’s or cousin’s name. 

I used to work for a district court and stuff like that happened every once in a while. For example, we got a call from a lady who lived hours away wondering why she had a warrant for her arrest. She suggested her sister, who was in the county jail, might have used her name. We compared ID pictures with the evidence pictures. The sister at the jail was then questioned, and she admitted to falsifying information, so she was charged with obstructing governmental operations. We also knew of two cousins who always blamed each other for their charges. They both had criminal histories, so their fingerprints were both on file with the jail and were able to be distinguished when they were booked. 

Basically, if you’re found out, you get extra charges. But it’s not foolproof. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

Not adding anything meaningful to the conversation, but I LOVE voting. I get so excited when election day is coming up. In 2016, after voting in the primaries, husband and I showed up to discover his registration had been deleted (same polling location). Luckily we were able to register him again on the spot but I was, and still am, pretty pissed about it. This year I've checked several times to make sure we're both still registered. We're in the northeastern United States.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

So registering to vote in the u.s. is, like most things here, related to racism. By requiring voters to register you can put up roadblocks to stop people from voting. In the past this included poll taxes, “literacy” tests (like casually reciting the entire US constitution and your state’s constitution and if they were feeling extra evil that day the names of your elected representatives), family history (if your grandfather wasn’t registered you couldn’t register- I’m 3 generations removed from slavery in 2020...) and now we have these crazy voter ID laws. 

When I got my learner’s permit in the mid aughts it cost $50. You had to present a certified birth certificate, social security card, and take a written exam. To eventually get a license you also had to pay for driving school which was about $350. If you don’t meet all the requirements in a year you have to do it all again. It’s expensive.  
Now take cost out of the equation, you need to have, at minimum, an official copy of your birth certificate. This isn’t the one you get at the hospital, you have to get it from the local vital records office. That takes time, money, and knowledge. There are many adults in this country who have never had any “official” record of their birth, even as a citizen with a social security number. My mother was one of them. Home birth in a super rural area in the 50s- no hospital that would admit black patients for nearly 50 miles anyway. And my grandma- same birth situation but in the 20s so pre social security. She never learned to drive or had a passport, getting the extra documentation for an ID to vote would have been a nightmare. 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 11

6 hours ago, purple_summer said:

So registering to vote in the u.s. is, like most things here, related to racism. By requiring voters to register you can put up roadblocks to stop people from voting. In the past this included poll taxes, “literacy” tests (like casually reciting the entire US constitution and your state’s constitution and if they were feeling extra evil that day the names of your elected representatives), family history (if your grandfather wasn’t registered you couldn’t register- I’m 3 generations removed from slavery in 2020...) and now we have these crazy voter ID laws. 

When I got my learner’s permit in the mid aughts it cost $50. You had to present a certified birth certificate, social security card, and take a written exam. To eventually get a license you also had to pay for driving school which was about $350. If you don’t meet all the requirements in a year you have to do it all again. It’s expensive.  
Now take cost out of the equation, you need to have, at minimum, an official copy of your birth certificate. This isn’t the one you get at the hospital, you have to get it from the local vital records office. That takes time, money, and knowledge. There are many adults in this country who have never had any “official” record of their birth, even as a citizen with a social security number. My mother was one of them. Home birth in a super rural area in the 50s- no hospital that would admit black patients for nearly 50 miles anyway. And my grandma- same birth situation but in the 20s so pre social security. She never learned to drive or had a passport, getting the extra documentation for an ID to vote would have been a nightmare. 

The good thing about mandatory ID in Belgium at least, was that it started at age 12. So you got a letter in the post just before your birthday and hopped down to the local town hall with a passport size photo (photo booths available in lots of train stations etc) and 35 euro and felt very grown up putting your signature on the form. Then from there on out, every time you move you pop down to the local town hall and they update the address registered to your card. You don't need bills or any other proof of address, because the police always come visit to make sure you are living where you say you are and they give you a form to take with you. So the only proof of address and ID you ever need is the ID card. And everyone has one.  

I find it a real faff both in the UK and Ireland getting bank statements and bills. Especially at the start when you have just moved and don't have anything but a lease agreement. As you say if you have to print them out or order posted ones especially.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

• samurai_sarah locked this topic