IGNORED

Dillards 87: Experts on Everything!

samurai_sarah

5 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

@IReallyAmHopewell I think the ‘job opportunity’ was another ‘mission’ trip. I am not ready to join the DD fan club- he’d rather be harassing heathens than working most of the time.

I totally agree that DD has completed only half of the task. Once he gets AND MORE IMPORTANTLY keeps, a family supporting job/career for many years (IMO at least 10), only then will I believe he’s made some serious, mature, adult lifestyle changes.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, Idlewild said:

@IReallyAmHopewell I think the ‘job opportunity’ was another ‘mission’ trip. I am not ready to join the DD fan club- he’d rather be harassing heathens than working most of the time.

I like that he CAN support his family. Maybe it was a mission trip. He does have a degree and experience as an accountant. If his political views kept him out of work, most of my state would be unemployed! LOL. Same wtih Jeremy, he CAN support his family.

• Upvote 2

Did the Dillards also do an interview with CNN? I'm not sure, but I thought I caught a glimpse of something on a news feed. Couldn't go back to see. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Did the Dillards also do an interview with CNN? I'm not sure, but I thought I caught a glimpse of something on a news feed. Couldn't go back to see. 

Yes, CNN wrote an article (see here) about the People interview. I only glanced over the CNN article, but I didn’t see any new information that wasn’t already shared in the People interview. 

• Thank You 4

@IReallyAmHopewell there’s no doubt DD is capable of supporting his family but after he left his job at Walmart he chose not to - he solicited donations for their missioncation in Central America and then his stint as a student at Cross. 
He has said that the ‘opportunity’ was a mission trip and it was stopped - he was a bit vague as to whether it was TLC or JB  who stopped it. 
Jeremy is currently a student with a taste for fancy living in LA. The fame from the show means he gets speaking engagements and the podcast - without that I’m not sure what kind of work he’d do. I guess one day he’ll qualify and look for a church to be pastor of. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

DD is now claiming they didn’t get paid for the People article but did it for a number of other reasons including to stick it to the people who criticised him for asking for donations for his ‘mission’ work by showing he wasn’t being paid.

If this is true - and I never take that for granted with any of this lot- he’s a fool. Why not receive a payment. Also, if TLC or JB weren’t paying them tip while they were in Central America, did they think it was correct to spend donations on plane trips home to celebrate family parties?
He also says TLC asked them not to say anything after they decided to stop filming - but if they weren’t under contract and rumours were spreading of them being fired, why not set the record straight then? It does come across as they asked for cash for the hospital bills, it was refused, they decided not to film and DD went on a rant about Jazz, Nate and TLC.

He is now a student rep for some bar scheme - and says he has agreed to use his personal social media as part of his duties. He is clearly not averse to using his ‘fame’.  He needs sort out this whole telling the truth thing before anyone trusts him.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

If the opportunity they had to turn down was another mission trip, surely that's a blessing in disguise. Jill did not seem to thrive on the mission field, and where would they be right now if they were still doing that? Israel in homeschool with a mother scared of everything? 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

@wendy-sparkles Jill May have matured now- I think she had the idea that mission trips would be like the ones her family did- go to Catholic countries, hand out toys and tracts and pose for photos. We saw when she was first married she struggled with being alone - taking DD his lunch every day, then at Cross she went on the overseas trip that nobody else took spouses and partners on  and she followed him into college classes and out on his food delivery job. She may think it’s her undying love for best hubby but it’s probably more the fact she’s never been without company of her own age before.

Now they are free from the shackles of filming you note they have no immediate plans to do mission work. 

• Upvote 18

I’d think if either of them was really interested in serving in a mission role, they’d proficiently learn to speak the language of the people they were serving. The same goes for Jeremy and his Pastor role, although to a lesser extent as his church was on the US side of the border. Not putting in that very basic, albeit difficult effort told me all I need to know about these folks. Dillard is smart and well educated, so he should have been up for that task. Jill had a new baby, was nursing and recovering from a difficult delivery. I’ll give her a bit more of a pass. Dang, I forgot about DD’s whole jaw surgery. Wasn’t his jaw wired shut? Maybe he also gets a bit of a pass.

DD knows that learning a new skill or concept is hard and takes works. Jill, OTOH, is new to having to power through the harder stuff. Because of their family composition and size, the Duggars have always been able to get out of doing things right and following tasks through to completion.

• Upvote 8

On 10/24/2020 at 2:53 PM, BullyJBG said:

Where did this "Karen" term come from anyway? Was there originally a Karen who was a control freak and controlled a lot of people? Anyone I know named Karen I now think of that and feel sorry for her. And soon will think of that with anyone named Ken. Though that also reminds me of Kenny on the Cosby Show who was well-influenced by his older brother who was a prime sexist.

I always assumed Karen is a typical name for the generation where the 'Karens' come from. I don't know since I am in Europe but there are always these names that remind you of a generation where it felt like half of the people had that name.

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I always assumed Karen is a typical name for the generation where the 'Karens' come from. I don't know since I am in Europe but there are always these names that remind you of a generation where it felt like half of the people had that name.

Karen became an international word to label obnoxious middle-aged women who complain about everything. The problem is that it is being used to insult whatever adult woman complaining or showing her disagreement with something. It's used to tell women to shut up, no matter what. So I avoid using that word, because it's just another patriarchy weapon.

• Upvote 14
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 3

On 10/25/2020 at 12:22 AM, Idlewild said:

DD is now claiming they didn’t get paid for the People article but did it for a number of other reasons including to stick it to the people who criticised him for asking for donations for his ‘mission’ work by showing he wasn’t being paid.

If this is true - and I never take that for granted with any of this lot- he’s a fool. Why not receive a payment. Also, if TLC or JB weren’t paying them tip while they were in Central America, did they think it was correct to spend donations on plane trips home to celebrate family parties?
He also says TLC asked them not to say anything after they decided to stop filming - but if they weren’t under contract and rumours were spreading of them being fired, why not set the record straight then? It does come across as they asked for cash for the hospital bills, it was refused, they decided not to film and DD went on a rant about Jazz, Nate and TLC.

He is now a student rep for some bar scheme - and says he has agreed to use his personal social media as part of his duties. He is clearly not averse to using his ‘fame’.  He needs sort out this whole telling the truth thing before anyone trusts him.

Where did he say this? 

10 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Karen became an international word to label obnoxious middle-aged women who complain about everything. The problem is that it is being used to insult whatever adult woman complaining or showing her disagreement with something. It's used to tell women to shut up, no matter what. So I avoid using that word, because it's just another patriarchy weapon.

Yes I know what 'a Karen' is in the context of the internet. But I thought that the origins of the name were because Karen could be because it is typical for middle-aged women. It is not called 'a Jennifer'  for a reason.

• Upvote 1

Before people settled on "Karen", Linda, Brenda, Susan and Sharon was also used as an "I want to speak to the manager [about unreasonable request]" name. They peaked )in the US) in respectively 1948, 1950, 1954 and 1946 (Karen peaked in 1956), placing them all in early to mid Baby Boomer names. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, muggleborn said:

Where did he say this? 

In reply to some questions on his Instagram account under the picture of him in a t shirt advertising the bar group. Someone comments they are glad they’re living their own life and there’s a reply about selling their story to People 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Thank you for this. I hate the term for a lot of reasons, but you put into words the main one.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I have been called Karen a few times on social media. A couple of times because I said it is important to wear your mask... that sort of thing. A couple of the women in my neighborhood called me that too because I didn't think a Halloween party for the community is a good idea with covid. No one can come up with anything original? Nowadays, its all about the insult.

The term while somewhat funny at first, no longer is. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 9
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

On 10/25/2020 at 12:12 PM, Idlewild said:

@wendy-sparkles Jill May have matured now- I think she had the idea that mission trips would be like the ones her family did- go to Catholic countries, hand out toys and tracts and pose for photos. We saw when she was first married she struggled with being alone - taking DD his lunch every day, then at Cross she went on the overseas trip that nobody else took spouses and partners on  and she followed him into college classes and out on his food delivery job. She may think it’s her undying love for best hubby but it’s probably more the fact she’s never been without company of her own age before.

Now they are free from the shackles of filming you note they have no immediate plans to do mission work. 

I think it'll be interesting to see what happens after Samuel starts school. She'll be back to being on her own again if Derick is busy with College or working. It's certainly an interesting decision her sending her children to school given all that and hopefully she feels comfortable with going along with it and hasn't felt pressurised into supporting that decision. Maybe it might lead to the desire for further pregnancies but it seems she's a lot more comfortable with spending time on her own and being more independent. 

• Upvote 6

It’s funny to me, “Karen” in AAVE has always referred to a white woman who’s always quick to escalate a situation (like calling the cops on Black people existing in public) rather than mind her own business or look for a simple solution. Then it hit the internet and people started using it indiscriminately and now it’s a tool of the patriarchy ??‍♀️

• Upvote 15
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

I think Jill might've voted for Biden?! Reading comments on her most recent insta post.

I think I actually got that wrong. I saw a comment whose name was Jill something but it was a different Jill. As far as I can tell Jill D. hasn't commented either way. Sorry to have misread.

Edited by fluffernutter
spelling error
  • Upvote 1

I don't think she voted for Biden or any other democrat, but I appreciate that her post about voting was a positive one, encouraging others to vote, and not just for president. I think it's worth quoting: 

Rain or shine, we’ll vote!

Voting is a privilege & lets your voice be heard!

I’ve tried to get better at doing my research too! It can seem daunting at first, but looking up your sample ballot and then the local candidates, issues & amendments & all is super important too! And don’t forget about the local elected independent/bipartisan positions like judges, prosecutors, etc. that might be on your ballot and affect so much!

Our state has all the district info and even sample ballots available at the Secretary of State website! Swipe up in my stories for direct AR link!

Edited by xenobia
  • Upvote 15

I definitely don't see her voting for Biden either but wouldn't be surprised if she voted for someone other than Trump the same way Ben did in 2016. She likely won't reveal who she voted for and she doesn't have to but definitely glad to see she is advocating for people to vote and not just vote Republican. 

• Upvote 9

It’s interesting that she didn’t mention her brother’s campaign. Encouraging doing research isn’t necessarily going to work out well for him.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 3

Jill wasn't invited to Joy's birthday outing either. Nor did she wish her happy birthday or like the posts. I think Joy is done with Jill which is pretty sad as they were in the buddy grp.

• Sad 10
  • I Agree 2

I don't remember if it was here or on Pickles, but during the 2016 election period someone posted the Duggars' voting info which included their chosen political parties.  I distinctly remember that Jim Bob as well as Josiah were registered as Republican.  In fact, so was Derick.  However, Jill was Unenrolled, meaning as a registered voter she was not committed to any party.   Which I thought was pretty interesting.  Jill just didn't toe the family Republican party line.  

With "Trump 2020" mowed into the grass and Jed running for the house as a Republican,  just the possibility of Jill ultimately voting for Biden next week is a huge FU to the family.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic