IGNORED

Dillards 87: Experts on Everything!

samurai_sarah

I think she meant to use Karen in that context. People love to jump all over her (and moms in general) over the littlest thing, so I'm sure she thought that commend would hopefully ward off some of the comments that were sure to come her way. 

• Upvote 37
  • I Agree 8

I think Jill understands the original meaning of Karen, and is just using it in a new context, because languages evolve. I think she is just using it in a different and broader context to mean "complainer". 

• Upvote 7

Isn’t JB listed as an executive producer? I am assuming as it’s JB there is some sort of tax dodges and the money is paid through one of his many companies. 
while the children were under age and in his home he could claim that he was maintaining them. Once they become adults I guess he could argue he is still maintaining them and really it’s up to them to question their remuneration or refuse to participate.

He has kept them uninformed enough to think this is a ministry and tbh they live a much better life than they could afford on their own efforts- paid for trips, weddings and perks of fame. JB has shrewdly kept their lives just comfortable enough so it’s not worth challenging him. It’s noticeable that most of them are trying to do the Instagram or YouTube influencer thing as they probably get to keep that money.

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, HereComesTreble said:

About Jill not getting paid for the Counting series, would TLC have some responsibility to make sure she was paid?  I have no idea how that works.
Thanks to FJ, I learned the Coogan Child Actor’s Bill is limited to California (I though it was nationwide).  So that wouldn’t apply to Jill.  But what about the Screen Actors Union or something like that?  Aren’t production companies obligated to ensure their employees are getting paid (especially minors)?

I don’t think those laws apply to minors working in reality TV. The excuse was the kids were just living their lives. So kids like the Duggars, Bates, Gosselins (in the past) had no working, education or financial regulations in place. It is a free for all.

• Upvote 14
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 3

There needs to be FEDERAL laws regarding how people, including children are paid to appear on reality tv.  There shouldn't be just one check cut to the head of the family for him/her to distribute as he/she sees fit.  Every person should be paid based on the number of hours worked and number of episodes filmed.  Trust funds need to be set up for minor children that cannot be touched until they become of age except in cases of life threatening emergencies.  And trust funds cannot be accessed by the parents.  An unrelated guardian (not sure what the proper legal term is) should be appointed.  Also work permits should be required for children.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 16

30 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

There needs to be FEDERAL laws regarding how people, including children are paid to appear on reality tv.  There shouldn't be just one check cut to the head of the family for him/her to distribute as he/she sees fit.  Every person should be paid based on the number of hours worked and number of episodes filmed.  Trust funds need to be set up for minor children that cannot be touched until they become of age except in cases of life threatening emergencies.  And trust funds cannot be accessed by the parents.  An unrelated guardian (not sure what the proper legal term is) should be appointed.  Also work permits should be required for children.

Yes, 100%.

I also think these laws should apply to YouTube families.  Some of them make millions, yet there’s no protections for the kids starring in them.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 12

I forgot about YouTube.  But, yeah, them too.  I forgot to add that there should be restrictions on the number of hours children are allowed to work and restrictions on the number of episodes they appear on.

Edited by RosyDaisy
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

2 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

I forgot about YouTube.  But, yeah, them too.

That whole YouTube world was very foreign and forgettable to me...until the Daddyof5 nightmare.  Once I fell down that rabbit hole, the grossness of YouTube families has been on my radar.

• Upvote 7

46 minutes ago, clueliss said:

@SassyPants I think it varies by state as well.  Didn’t Pennsylvania change it’s laws about that after the Gosselins hit tv?  

I think PA did put some loose restrictions in place some time during the Time the Gosselins were on TV, but I think those only applied to when they actually filmed in PA, so a quick trip outside of the state for filming purposes would have negated those restrictions. I do not think those guidelines met those of the Coogan Laws.

Also, Coogan Laws protected work and education hours as well as money earned. Not that fundies care one bit about education...

• Upvote 7

They just posted 5 videos of their beach trip which... Yeah, I don't have the patience to sit through but skimmed to save y'all a click. 

They went to Gulf Shores, AL and rented a self catering apartment. 

Lots of footage of them enjoying the beaches and the pools. They went for food in Florida (social distanced and all wore masks), Derick had a job interview, the boys played on the beaches, Jill was makeup-free and dressed in shorts, tank tops and strappy swimwear. 

They all seemed happy and relaxed. Jill and Derick are calm parents, no shushing the boys when they yell or talk over each other. Honestly the whole bunch of videos were refreshingly boring and unstaged. 

The comments are (currently) open on all 5 videos and overwhelmingly positive so far. 

Edited by HideousGreenShirt
  • Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 9
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, RosyDaisy said:

There really does need to be. Reality TV's been around long enough for there to be laws for it. They should be allowed to get away with it simply because its not "real" TV. While their at it simple background checks for people they put on reality TV should be required. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

6 hours ago, seraaa said:

Exactly! They were not even given a choice about what happened to it. Now, some might have been perfectly happy to keep a portion in the collective family pot - likely, because this is how they've been taught! - but you'd think that was a decision the adult kids would get to be part of.

Jim Bob's and Michelle's choices here, man.

Every one of those kids should have had an excellent education and encouraged to go to college.  Instead, the funds were invested so JB&M had plenty of real estate rental properties for he and his wife to get rich off of.    This is why CA has such tight child labor laws when it comes to kids in movies etc. 

3 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Isn’t JB listed as an executive producer? I am assuming as it’s JB there is some sort of tax dodges and the money is paid through one of his many companies. 
while the children were under age and in his home he could claim that he was maintaining them. Once they become adults I guess he could argue he is still maintaining them and really it’s up to them to question their remuneration or refuse to participate.

He has kept them uninformed enough to think this is a ministry and tbh they live a much better life than they could afford on their own efforts- paid for trips, weddings and perks of fame. JB has shrewdly kept their lives just comfortable enough so it’s not worth challenging him. It’s noticeable that most of them are trying to do the Instagram or YouTube influencer thing as they probably get to keep that money.

As executive producer he earns residuals.

• Upvote 9

On 10/22/2020 at 11:48 AM, DalmatianCat said:

I like your breakdown and am super curious about the actual compensation (like everyone else). However, I kind of think $45,000 per episode (when starting pay for any actor on a scripted tv show with speaking lines starts at $25,000) is a little high. I wonder where People got that number. Maybe that’s what Jill and Derrick’s lawyer found? I know the Duggars are fairly popular in the reality tv world and have had remarkable longevity compared to, say, stars on The Bachelor who don’t get paid at all. I was watching a YouTube video from one of the brides from the very first season of “Married at First Sight” (Cortney) and she said they were not paid a salary, but a stipend and it came out to around $10,000 for the first season. Granted, it was the first season, no one knew if it would even air, so that could be way it was so low. I just can’t wrap my head around the Duggars making more than $20,000 an episode (if that). I’m sure JB keeps most of the money, but I do think he turns right around and invests it, and gives the kids maybe a few thousand an episode. I think his investments have made millions, but I’m not so sure about the show.
Maybe if Jill continues to get press maybe TLC will reveal what they pay the Duggars (if they can spin it in a way to make them look good).

The stars of The Hills were making over $100k an episode back in 2007/8. I think Jon & Kate hit the $100k mark as well around the 4th season. The teen mom girls make a shit ton as well. Frankly, $45k/episode sounds low for a headlining reality show, especially if there was only one check being cut.  

From my own personal experience, reality TV either pays you in gum and exposure or big bucks if you get to the level where there’s sponsors/product placement involved. 

ETA: unionized actors on scripted shows are paid as employees; meaning they have taxes and such taken from their pay. Union dues usually cover things like insurance. Reality “stars” are paid as independent contractors. They get a lump sum and then have to pay any taxes/fees on their own. It’s why so many end up in debt despite making huge sums of money.  

Edited by purple_summer
More talking
  • Upvote 10
  • Thank You 4

3 minutes ago, purple_summer said:

I think Jon & Kate hit the $100k mark as well around the 4th season.

They were making a bit less than $25K per episode when Jon left the show.  TLC does not pay big bucks.

• Upvote 7

The validity of the website she's quoting is down about asking my mother's dog for info.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

I think Karen has sort of morphed to also include obnoxious woman who sticks her nose into other people's business and tells them how to live their life or tells them what they're doing wrong.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 14
  • Love 1

I think Jill is also entitled to money made from sales of "Growing Up Duggar" and speaking engagements.  I hope she is sole recipient of money made from social media and YouTube.

4 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

They went to Gulf Shores, AL and rented a self catering apartment.

That's where my husband and I were supposed to be, but COVID-19 had other ideas.?

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

As executive producer he earns residuals.

JB has never been a producer in any capacity. He and Meech were extended "special thanks" in TBE 19 Kids days, but not since the relaunch of CO. 

I also don't believe you earn residuals from reality TV. TLC reruns its 90 Day Fiancee shows to death.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Grace said:

I think Karen has sort of morphed to also include obnoxious woman who sticks her nose into other people's business and tells them how to live their life or tells them what they're doing wrong.

Absolutely how I hear it used. Even by kids. Who also tell me a male Karen is a Ken. I have some issues with the term in general, but can completely see why Jill would use it. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

Where did this "Karen" term come from anyway? Was there originally a Karen who was a control freak and controlled a lot of people? Anyone I know named Karen I now think of that and feel sorry for her. And soon will think of that with anyone named Ken. Though that also reminds me of Kenny on the Cosby Show who was well-influenced by his older brother who was a prime sexist.

2 hours ago, BullyJBG said:

Where did this "Karen" term come from anyway? Was there originally a Karen who was a control freak and controlled a lot of people? Anyone I know named Karen I now think of that and feel sorry for her. And soon will think of that with anyone named Ken. Though that also reminds me of Kenny on the Cosby Show who was well-influenced by his older brother who was a prime sexist.

From my knowledge it started with the internet meme about women who have the “Can I speak to the manager?” haircut that makes fun of women who consistently berate people in customer service when things don’t go their way. This meme 1000% describes my parents and grandparents who are very rude to waitstaff and cashiers when their experience isn’t 100% perfect, and they encourage others they are with to also berate staff. The poster child for the meme was Kate Gosselin. It has since evolved to stand for any middle aged woman who likes to complain/judge others for no reason, refuses to help herself through her problems and instead just complains and doesn’t accept help, and immediately runs to authority figures instead of working things out with the person they have an issue with. The name being Karen is possibly taken from a Dave Cook comedy show where he claims every adult friend group has a Karen, which fits the same description, but another possibility comes from Mean Girls where a girl named Karen asks the main character “If you’re from Africa, why are you white?” to which the response from another girl is “Oh my God Karen, you can’t just ask people why they’re white.” I work with one of these women whose name actually is Karen and she’s terrible to deal with at times. We’re teachers and she threatened to quit four times in the week before school started because “no one had showed her how to use the online platform” that was brand new for our school. Nevermind that she didn’t attend any of the three trainings and several other online webinars for the program, she just wanted it done for her and then threatened to leave us without a teacher a week before school started. The Karen meme also came about a lot in the last year where several news stories reported middle aged women calling the cops on innocent black people going about their everyday lives. These types of women have also been labeled Karen’s because they are assuming judgment and instead of interacting with the person they just immediately call the cops because they don’t like that black people are going about their everyday lives like they should be able to do. I understand that it is hurtful to people named Karen who are not like this, but for now, this is part of the everyday vernacular just like “Bye Felicia” was a couple years ago. It’ll pass like most things do. 

Edited by JanasTattooParlor
More info about origin of why the name chosen was Karen.
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 11

21 hours ago, Idlewild said:

He has kept them uninformed enough to think this is a ministry and tbh they live a much better life than they could afford on their own efforts- paid for trips, weddings and perks of fame. JB has shrewdly kept their lives just comfortable enough so it’s not worth challenging him.

In the video With Out Chrystal Ball did Derrick had to turn down a job opportunity due to the show. Unlike the others, like Jeremy, he CAN support his family without Jim-Bob. It is interesting that only the two educated husbands have been able to truly break their families away and Jeremy is still on the show for now. I can see John David doing whatever he could to earn a living for his wife and daughter. I'm not so sure about the others.

• Upvote 3

• samurai_sarah locked this topic