IGNORED

Maxwell 36: Wearing What Some Might Call an Outer Garment While Dealing with Cancer in the Family

Coconut Flan

1 minute ago, daisyjane1234 said:

Sorry.  These are clear attempts to manipulate the truth; aka lying.

Exactly! They know the optics of having so many employees surnamed Maxwell and are intentionally using deception. They’re literally professional deceivers.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

When they did their conferences, they were invited, rather than seeking locations. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I am not quite sure how their involvement this most recent conference came about, but I am going to presume that they were invited. I am an American, and grew up homeschooled for the most part. My family was involved in a couple of different homeschool organizations in which we attended the conferences and other events. One was completely secular and one was the Vision Forum offshoot. As far as organization, they both, and other smaller homeschooling  conferences, operated about the same. They have keynote speakers, and then workshop speakers. Keynotes are “big” names and are sought after and paid. Workshop leaders could possibly be asked but there is actually applications for them and it is a way for them to make themselves and their products and services known. They are not paid. I am sure for the Maxwells in the early days, especially when homeschool conferences were most likely more primitive anyway, they probably asked to speak. But of course they became homeschool royalty, so I doubt they have to ask anybody anywhere at this point. Obviously they haven’t done speaking in quite a long time, their popularity has obviously dwindled but they would be way too prideful to ask to speak somewhere, because if they’re asking to speak somewhere that most likely means they are merely leading a workshop. they are at a point where they still want to be approached, but they are just obliging any takers. IMHO.

• Upvote 2

Honestly if the maxwells admitted that Their daughters worked for their sons it would make them look like bigger failures than they already do. If I was a fundie family I would not look at the maxwells for a family to model after. Their daughters are unmarried and still live at home. Teri didn’t want to home school and was forced too. All of the married kids live close to home. None of them make much money. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

Honestly if the maxwells admitted that Their daughters worked for their sons it would make them look like bigger failures than they already do. If I was a fundie family I would not look at the maxwells for a family to model after. Their daughters are unmarried and still live at home. Teri didn’t want to home school and was forced too. All of the married kids live close to home. None of them make much money. 

We don’t know what Swift Otter is pulling in.  Judging from their non- family employees and IF the pay range in their job ad is real then they’re doing okay.

• Upvote 9

I’m confused by this photo. Is Ruthann wearing a dress under a dress? The blue dress looks very heavy; like fleece. Maybe I’m just not processing this picture correctly. Anybody else notice the layers? 

03471AFD-69D0-425A-A0EF-D6B77FCAE5B6.jpeg

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I just recently discovered that my best friend also knew a particular girl who is our age and still a stay at home daughter. My friend informed me that this girl has a job for the first time in her life at 24 years old. Neither of us have seen her in years, but we still hear how their family is doing through the grapevine. Last time I saw her was about 4 years ago and we were both 21. I had just gotten out of my first relationship, was starting college once again, and working my ass off and driving my own car. I asked her what she was up to and she said that she was being a blessing to her family and to encourage young women. My best friend’s mother is friends with this girls mother, and the father is finally allowing his daughters to work. My best friend said back in the day when she was graduating from high school kn homeschool co-op with her and some other kids I knew, that girl was the only one in the group that wasn’t taking a job or taking classes anywhere, she merely moved into teaching classes at the co-op.

This prompted some deeper thinking on my part when it comes to why some families choose to subscribe to SAHDhood. My own family was such an outlier, and I was the one driving us into that direction, it made sense that I fizzled out and came back to being my independent self without much pushback from my family at all. I met this particular sad in speech and debate, which was an even mix of girls who were either going to be SAHDs or politically driven intellectual conservatives with decent educations. The time their mother mentioned it to my family and I that the father was going to have a business to employee all of his daughters until they got married. this family did not place themselves in very fundamentalist circles, and I am pretty sure they did not go to a very fundamentalist church. So how were these girls supposed to find men to marry? Guys at normal churches may want to have a stay at home mom of a wife someday, but it is impossible and impractical for a young woman with no children to be completely jobless and without real world skills. To me it sounds like the father is a control freak, who didn’t really care if his daughters got married or not. It sounds like the father never started a business, and he is actually retired right now even though his youngest child is only about 14 or 15 with all of the adult girls at home.

If you are going to be a family who lives this lifestyle, you have to do it right. This family my friend and I know are now watching all of the other girls they knew who went to evil college and worked out in the scary big world getting married, as we all are about 25. My theory is that the realization that not only can these “wordly” girls take care of themselves, they have also accomplished the goal of being with a partner that can take care of them too, made them finally crack and let the girl start working. These other girls who are apparently doing it all wrong now have twice the security that the stay at home daughter currently has.

• Upvote 9

@usmcmom, maybe that's just Ruthann;s petticoat showing a tiny bit.  It also looks like she might be wearing sweatpants under her dress.   If she is wearing sweatpants and a petticoat, then that's too much clothes.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

@Leftitinmysnood said 

I've had several patients that tried the alternative "natural cures".  One in particular, we diagnosed the cancer, they went to Mexico for vitamins and coffee enemas, and then came back once they hit late stage 4 and were mad that all we could do was provide palliative care.

Reminds me of this poor girl.

Spoiler

• Sad 5

Is this the same as Godwin’s Law?

I don't suppose I am allowed to educate the Maxwell's about the logical fallacy called reductio ad Hitlerum.  Yes, it really exists.  Reductio ad Hitlerum is an ad hominem that is meant to derail any conversation in favour of the desired (poorly argued) point by using an extreme example of evil/suffering/etc.

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 1

@The Mother Dust, who is that poor, deluded girl? Is she still alive? I shake my head at the fact that even her herbalist told her to take mainstream medical advice.

• Upvote 3

@Hane, she makes me think of something I read years ago in Malepracitce by that jackass Dr Robert Mendelson.  He said that you either had breast cancer that was going to kill you or breast cancer that wasn't and all the surgery, radiation and chemo would not make a damn bit of difference.  And then he went on to say that if his wife had breast cancer, she'd have it treated with surgery, chemo and radiation.  

If that poor deluded woman kept on her course of rejecting chemo and radiation, she is likely dead by now.  Or dying.  It sounds like she already had metastasis of her cancer.  

ETA:  Among his other very dubious stances, Mendelson was an anti-vaxxer and this was40 years ago.  

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 1

@Hane, I searched for her on YouTube because I was curious, too. She died of cancer a couple years after that video. She started chemo but it was too late at that point. Her channel was Christina Newman. 

Edited by Giraffe
Riffle
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 10

In terms how some of these folks focus on “modest” clothing that  is mainly applied to females, I think someone needs to tell them that sometimes the hyper focus on the modesty of something, actually turns into immodesty. Riding a horse , roller skating or skiing in a dress/skirt is no more modest than wearing activity appropriate clothing. I hate how being fundie turns some people into complete idiots. My POV has nothing to do with Ruthanne’s clothing. She has no choice or voice in the matter. Sweat pants with a long jacket would suffice as perfectly modest playground apparel in the eyes of most sane people.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, Hane said:

@The Mother Dust, who is that poor, deluded girl? Is she still alive? I shake my head at the fact that even her herbalist told her to take mainstream medical advice.

Also tagging @Giraffe @PennySycamore since you are interested.  Yes, you are right, her name is Christina Newman, and she died a couple of years after that video.  She was one of those people who was into all natural remedies for things even before her cancer diagnosis (not in a religious way though) so when she got cancer, unfortunately she was set in the mistaken notion that all natural remedies could help cancer too.   If you visit her channel, she had documented her whole journey with at first trying the natural remedies, then when her cancer spread, coming to terms with the fact that she had to do chemo & radiation.

To compound everything, she also became pregnant in the middle of all that and had a baby.  I am glad her family kept the videos up.  It's an important lesson for anyone too enamored with woo.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

Anna was supposed to see her oncologist yesterday.  I hope she got good advice...and will promptly follow it.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, The Mother Dust said:

She was one of those people who was into all natural remedies for things even before her cancer diagnosis

How this reminds me of a sweet, but horribly misguided, lady I worked with. She honestly believed that prayer and natural remedies (especially carrot juice, which turned her orange from drinking so much) would cure her breast cancer. It didn't. She left behind a heartbroken little family. I am all for natural, and all for personal choice, but I thank God all the time for modern medicine. In tandem, they are both good.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

@Giraffe, I'm so sorry to learn my suspicions were correct.  I fully expected to see that poor young woman's birth and death dates at the end of the video.

One of my friends, who is 67, is now into reiki and wholistic healing and crystals and essential oils and assorted woo, and told me that if she were diagnosed with breast cancer, she'd reject chemo and radiation.

Edited by Hane
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 2

3 minutes ago, Hane said:

@Giraffe, I'm so sorry to learn my suspicions were correct.  I fully expected to see that poor young woman's birth and death dates at the end of the video.

I was expecting that, too. Obviously there’s no guarantee even if she’d have gone through chemo & radiation initially, but it’s tragic that she got sucked into a belief where she didn’t have a fighting chance. It’s so sad!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

2 hours ago, Hane said:

One of my friends, who is 67, is now into reiki and wholistic healing and crystals and essential oils and assorted woo, and told me that if she were diagnosed with breast cancer, she'd reject chemo and radiation.

To the bolded:  My totally 'not a medical-expert' opinion is that those things can make you feel even better if your health is already good or maybe just a bit under the weather.  Maybe it might help to stave off some flu and colds - lower stress levels, mild exercise, and eating healthy will do that. But treat a serious illness? Hell no.
I'm sorry your friend is sucked into that.

Edited by The Mother Dust
  • I Agree 5

Terri is posting about the importance of washing dishes every night. Because how else will your daughters know they need to wash their dishes every night?!?!?!? Hey ? Terri. My mother made me clean her kitchen every night to “build my character”, and here I am, a single-female- working- homeowner - choosing not to wash my dishes tonight just  because I can, and you know what? It’s absolutely fine!!!! Because only god and Terri can judge me, and god doesn’t care.

Spoiler

“Do you clean up your kitchen after dinner? If you didn’t grow up doing that, you might find it hard to do now. If you aren’t doing it, you know what? It is likely your daughters won’t either when they have their families, and so it will go generation after generation”

• Upvote 12
  • WTF 4
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

“Do you clean up your kitchen after dinner? If you didn’t grow up doing that, you might find it hard to do now. If you aren’t doing it, you know what? It is likely your daughters won’t either when they have their families, and so it will go generation after generation”

At this rate, Teri, I wouldn't be too concerned.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 4

Good grief, her doomsday prediction of generations not cleaning their kitchens after dinner!!!! :jawdrop:

I'm beginning to think her "taking a month to sew on a button" post was downright scintillating.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 17
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Hane said:

That stuff is never going to actually fix a serious medical issue, but they're not necessarily useless when seen as complementary instead of alternative.  A very good friend of mine went through chemo and was very susceptible to nausea, she tried every anti nausea medication the hospital could give her and nothing worked.  Peppermint and lavender oil in an oil burner was the only thing that gave her any relief, whether it was psychological or physical we don't know...and her consultant didn't care which it was either because she stopped vomiting 30+ times a day and that was what mattered to him at that point.

Would her consultant prescribe oils as a treatment for nausea?  Certainly not!  Did they help my friend when conventional treatment for her nausea couldn't?  Yes, but she's 1 person - very important to a lot of people but statistically insignificant.

Some of these things can help an occasional person with certain issues...but they're never going to replace chemo/radiotherapy/surgery/etc as a cancer treatment (or as treatment for any other major illness).

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

Hey Teri, I hate doing dishes. Actually, I almost never do that because my husband does it and when we don't (like last night), we just sleep soundly because who cares... We can always do it the next day.

And my future daughters probably won't care about dishes either.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic