IGNORED

Disney+

viii

So apparently Disney+ had over ten million subscribers on the first day of launch. 

Did anyone else sign up? I did, and it's amazing. $8.99 a month isn't bad either, considering everything you get. My weekend is going to be very unproductive... 

I haven't, yet.   If I were to add Disney+ I would probably drop something else (such at Netflix)

We signed up. We went ahead an did the year membership. So far I really like it. We have Netflix included with our cell phone plan or else I would probably cut that for awhile. And we also have Amazon Prime but while we do use the streaming benefits we use it more for shopping and for Amazon music. I am sure we over pay for all the various streaming platforms but with 5 of us we do watch a variety of shows. We don't have any cable. Currently, the Disney plus is the only thing we are paying extra for, since we dropped hulu a couple of months ago. 

• Upvote 1

I have basic cable, Netflix and now Disney+. I'll probably keep everything, since I like to watch my reality shows on TV (Big Brother, Survivor, Masterchef), and then Netflix still has a lot of shows I watch that aren't Disney related. 

• Upvote 1

We have Verizon, so we get a free year of Disney+. So far it's been good. We have a few TVs that we were able to directly add the app to them. Other TVs we're going to need to use a Fire Stick. It's working well on phones too.

I grabbed the trial. So far, I’m not that impressed tbh. I don’t see enough content to make it worth a monthly fee.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I grabbed the trial. So far, I’m not that impressed tbh. I don’t see enough content to make it worth a monthly fee.

There isn't enough content for me to have long term, though I am enjoying the Imagineering story and watching a few movies I haven't seen in awhile.  It does have more than enough for the kids though. Currently they are watching Phineas and Ferb but my youngest has been working her way through the Boy Meets World Episodes also. They used to watch all the old Disney Channel shows on Netflix, but now that they have been pulled Netflix has lost its appeal for the youngest. My older two can always find something to watch.

• Upvote 2

There's several old movies from my childhood I'm totally going to watch. I'm watching Swiss Family Robinson right now actually. I'll watch a few movies and Gargoyles, but overall, I might pay for a month, if that, before I run out of content. 

• Upvote 1

With the amount of time I have to watch movies these days I have at least 3 or 4 months of stuff to watch, but I may only get in two movies a month if I am lucky. Once the fall baseball season is over things will settle down here for a couple of months. I really want to watch Swiss Family Robinson, Babes in Toyland, and the girls and I want to watch Newsies again. 

My younger kids went to their rooms so now my 16 year old is watching Good Luck Charlie which was her favorite show when she was about 5 or 6. She's happy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Destiny said:

NEWSIES! I LOVE THAT FILM!

I have had it for a while. I still love it. No regrets.

I had it on VHS and watched it so much the tape got that wobbly effect. I recently bought it on Amazon, along with the broadway version. Turns out, it wasn't supposed to be a musical, and Christian Bale is not a fan. 

BTW, I also love it. In case that wasn't obvious. 

• Love 1

51 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I had it on VHS and watched it so much the tape got that wobbly effect. I recently bought it on Amazon, along with the broadway version. Turns out, it wasn't supposed to be a musical, and Christian Bale is not a fan. 

BTW, I also love it. In case that wasn't obvious. 

Christian Bale is not always right. He is wrong and bad and should feel bad about this. That movie is delightful. 

• Upvote 2

Newsies was a favorite of mine when I was growing up. I had the DVD at one point but I have no idea what happened to it during one of our many moves. I have meant to replace it for years but never have. I took my kids to see the musical and all three of them loved that, even my son who doesn't normally like musicals. So it is on the must watch list for sure. 

We have moved so much in the last 20ish years and somehow lose track of stuff every move. For some reason, movies are something we just can't keep track of. I suspect we let someone borrow them and then forget about them. 

We got the bundle, because we were already subscribers to ESPN+ (thanks, Mr. Front Hugs!). We were paying $5.99/month I think for ESPN+, so it wasn't a big leap to pay the additional $7 or whatever for Hulu and Disney+. We are big Disney fans in general, and I'm tired of illegally streaming Handmaid's Tale, so I'm finally catching up on that (started Season 3 last night! AH!). 

One thing Disney is doing is putting up warnings ahead of certain old films, like Peter Pan and Dumbo, which have racist themes. I think the notification says something about keeping the original films, but acknowledging times have changed. 

We did the free week and weren't going to keep it. There's a lot of older movies I watched over the last few days but overall it didn't offer enough content I'd want in the long run. Maybe if my son were into kid's stuff it would've been a different story but he's legit afraid of cartoons/etc. BUT, because my SO already pays for ESPN+ we've decided we're just going to do the bundle, especially since we'll get Hulu too. Typically I only pay for Hulu about 2 months out of the year for Handmaid's but you can't really beat that deal. 

• 1 year later...

I never really venture from the Duggar/Bates corner of FJ, but since I’ve been on here endlessly due to Duggarimplosion I just have to tell someone I watched Dr. Strange tonight and wow do I feel old and crotchety.

What a mess of a chaotic frenetic sloppy story. I promise I’m only 40ish but I now feel ancient and fuddyduddyish. That is all. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I never really venture from the Duggar/Bates corner of FJ, but since I’ve been on here endlessly due to Duggarimplosion I just have to tell someone I watched Dr. Strange tonight and wow do I feel old and crotchety.

What a mess of a chaotic frenetic sloppy story. I promise I’m only 40ish but I now feel ancient and fuddyduddyish. That is all. 

I don't recall seeing much positive buzz about the Dr Strange movie. The Marvel movies seem to be all over the map. 

• Upvote 2

I often find the origin movies for these to be a mess.  Then, at least for marvel, when they are included in The Avengers movies, it seems to click better. 

• I Agree 1

We spent the pandemic watching all of the Marvel movies in chronological order (not release date order) and we actually just finished End Game!

Dr. Strange overall is very unmemorable for me, if not the most unmemorable.

• Upvote 3