IGNORED

Joy & Austin 29: RV Living

Coconut Flan

I think Joy and Austin would be a good fit for Habitat for Humanity or other such missionary organization. They both seem to be active and he obviously has building and organization skills as well as tenacity. They seem far hardier than some of the other couples *cough (Jeremy and Jinger) cough*.

• Upvote 31
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

But Habitat is a founded by that evil liburl Jimmy Carter, and they might have to be nice to people that they don't agree with. 

*ETA, there is a Habitat Restore directly across the street from my office, and our company buys a lot of supplies from them, and DH and I bought our new kitchen flooring from them.  If you want to help this wonderful charity, locate your local Habitat Restore in your area. 

Edited by allthegoodnamesrgone
  • Upvote 26
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

@allthegoodnamesrgone, Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter are, indeed, associated with Habitat for Humanity, but Millard Fuller started Habitat.  Millard and his wife Linda had spent some time at Koinonia Farm in Americus, Georgia and were inspired by Clarence Jordan's and Koinonia's radical (liberal) vision of Christianity.  Koinonia is now Koinonia Partners and is based in Americus, Georgia.  Jordan's Cotton Patch gospels (Mathew and John) are a real trip. 

Koinonia Farms is an intentional community dedicated to these four precepts:

Treat all human beings with dignity and justice

Choose love over violence

Share all possessions and live simply

Be stewards of the land and its natural resources

I think the Carters were long influenced by Clarence Jordan and Koinonia.

Koinonia Partners

Now I need to make that Koinonia granola recipe from the More With Less cookbook.

And yeah,  Joy and Austin would likely have a lot of trouble associating with the likes of Habitat and Koinonia.

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 19
  • Thank You 12
  • Love 3

There's a small town near me with a Koinonia church. (I can't remember what flavour but it's an old brick building that probably used to be Presbyterian or something.)

Anyway! Next time a fundie gets knocked up, I'm goign to put Koinonia in as a name. I assume it's pronounced coin-OH-nee-a but I really have no idea. It means fellowship so I'm surprised more fundies haven't used it. (Looking at you, Schraders.)

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

The shower wasn't about Joy, it was about Amy, and it was Amy's day. Joy was most likely given the option to go or not, and she could have stayed home and no one would thing twice about it, hopefully.  It seems Joy is taking everything day by bay, she's having good days and bad days and just rolling with it, that is the best you can do.

• Upvote 41
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

On 8/25/2019 at 12:23 PM, Coconut Flan said:

Continued from here:

Lots of people live in small spaces and kids share rooms and there is only one bathroom. They all live. In fact, there are places where even affluent people, such as doctors, live in smaller houses. Kids share rooms. There is one bathroom.
I remember reading somewhere that if Americans were willing to live like middle-class Europeans--with their size houses and their size cars and public transportation--there would be enough of almost everything to go around.

After my mother remarried (blue collar guy, huge step up after what my father who came from wealth managed to do), there were like 8 --became 10 for a time after a baby and before oldest moved out--kids in a little GI-tract house. Upstairs four boys were in bunkbeds; one brother and I had little carved out rooms that fit a bed, dresser and not much else. Downstairs was small room two girls shared and parents room, where eventually baby was also. Basement--and it did look like a basement--became a hang/out room for teens and eventually somebody's bedroom.

Everybody survived.

Not saying you have to live in squalor, but the idea that there has to be not only a separate bedroom but also a separate bathroom for everybody, plus you have to have different rooms for different activities-god forbid kids play a board game in the same room someone else is sewing or watching TV--is IMO a peculiar American construct. And even though the shit increasingly is hitting the fan, it seems to be the idea that so many people think they must have--if you don't, it's a deficiency. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

What I don’t understand is just like Jill after Israel’s birth and the Dillards left for Central A because they likely had no job, what do they do with all their stuff? Jill and Derrick’s home was filled with wedding and baby gifts. Israel had an entire nursery filled with stuff, including a new rocking chair, and barely 3 months later, the Dillards packed a couple of suitcases and fled the country. What happened to all of their wedding gifts, household and baby items? Same goes for Joy. She had a huge wedding and likely received enough gifts to fill a home. Gideon also had a fully stocked nursery. What happened to all that stuff? Do they dump it in the mouse infested outbuilding at the Duggars’ property?  It seems they have little idea how to responsibility treat things. Do they keep an inventory and shop at Chez Outbuilding as needed? Is it a free for all? 

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

What I don’t understand is just like Jill after Israel’s birth and the Dillards left for Central A because they likely had no job, what do they do with all their stuff? Jill and Derrick’s home was filled with wedding and baby gifts. Israel had an entire nursery filled with stuff, including a new rocking chair, and barely 3 months later, the Dillards packed a couple of suitcases and fled the country. What happened to all of their wedding gifts, household and baby items? Same goes for Joy. She had a huge wedding and likely received enough gifts to fill a home. Gideon also had a fully stocked nursery. What happened to all that stuff? Do they dump it in the mouse infested outbuilding at the Duggars’ property?  It seems they have little idea how to responsibility treat things. Do they keep an inventory and shop at Chez Outbuilding as needed? Is it a free for all? 

Stuff seems to really move around. Kendra's changing table moved to Jess and I've seen other little things bounce around. 

• Upvote 13

10 minutes ago, lexiloumarie said:

Stuff seems to really move around. Kendra's changing table moved to Jess and I've seen other little things bounce around. 

Upcycling is always a good thing! 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 2

I think it would be awesome and very profitable if all the Duggar mothers got together and opened up one of those baby and toddler resale shops. They certainly have plenty of Quality items and name recognition. Hell They could pay the younger girls  to work and Jana to manage there so they would not have to worry about hiring UnDuggar Heathens.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

32 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I think it would be awesome and very profitable if all the Duggar mothers got together and opened up one of those baby and toddler resale shops. They certainly have plenty of Quality items and name recognition. Hell They could pay the younger girls  to work and Jana to manage there so they would not have to worry about hiring UnDuggar Heathens.

This is a very serious question, do you think any of the Duggar/former Duggar women believe that they should have to actually work? Personally, I don’t. IMO, they (for the most part) believe that beyond being joyfully available, praising Jesus at every turn, and having baby after baby, there’s not much else required of them. The one thing that doesn’t fit is the show. I do wonder how these women justify working the family show, especially when most of them have husbands, members of the male species, who do not have any job beyond that show. So, both the men and women ( kids too for that matter, so much for precious blessings)are working at the same capacity in most of those families.

Placing the above aside, I do like your idea. 

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 14

Normally I would agree with you but they can justify themselves as they are working at a family business and that a shop that caters to mostly Mothers with young children is a Proper womanly job and bonus a potential ministry:When those Heathen working females go into buy a baby shower gift  they will surely be Transfixed by the radiant  maternal Godliness pulsating from Duggar castoffs ;)and I am only half joking here.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

I suspect that any of the 'missing' items/furniture etc went to what I think of as 'central Duggar storage.'  We've seen in situations like Joe & Kendra moving into the log house a whole load of furniture came out of central Duggar storage.  JB has all sorts of outbuildings on the property I believe.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

14 hours ago, SassyPants said:

This is a very serious question, do you think any of the Duggar/former Duggar women believe that they should have to actually work? Personally, I don’t. IMO, they (for the most part) believe that beyond being joyfully available, praising Jesus at every turn, and having baby after baby, there’s not much else required of them. The one thing that doesn’t fit is the show. I do wonder how these women justify working the family show, especially when most of them have husbands, members of the male species, who do not have any job beyond that show. So, both the men and women ( kids too for that matter, so much for precious blessings)are working at the same capacity in most of those families.

Placing the above aside, I do like your idea. 

Easy: the show is a ministry, one that pays, often indirectly (like having your honeymoon funded). We've seen plenty of families that make a distinction between work and ministry, like the Rodrigii - they have a printing ministry, not a business.

I think it's the same for men - those who make ministry the focus of their life do not feel they should have to work, at least in a traditional job. None of them seem to have this sense of responsibility to provide for these big families because God will do that, and if you serve God then you will be paid accordingly. We've seen plenty of examples of that too - Rodrigii, Shraders, Seewalds, etc.

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 8/26/2019 at 9:09 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

But Habitat is a founded by that evil liburl Jimmy Carter, and they might have to be nice to people that they don't agree with. 

*ETA, there is a Habitat Restore directly across the street from my office, and our company buys a lot of supplies from them, and DH and I bought our new kitchen flooring from them.  If you want to help this wonderful charity, locate your local Habitat Restore in your area. 

My best friend, who is studying to be a pastor, belongs to a church that often goes to disaster ravaged areas or just poor ones and helps build homes. I don't know if its connected to HFH, but she goes at least twice a year or more. And her church is accepting of EVERYONE so she is an evil liburl too. 

• Upvote 11

2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

My best friend, who is studying to be a pastor, belongs to a church that often goes to disaster ravaged areas or just poor ones and helps build homes. I don't know if its connected to HFH, but she goes at least twice a year or more. And her church is accepting of EVERYONE so she is an evil liburl too. 

A friend of mine from school is the youth minister for her church. Every year they take a trip to New Orleans to rebuild houses. 

• Upvote 7

Just now, Jana814 said:

A friend of mine from school is the youth minister for her church. Every year they take a trip to New Orleans to rebuild houses. 

My friend has been out there too. One trip, she broke her toe. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/27/2019 at 6:58 PM, lexiloumarie said:

I have a large extended family (i have about 35 first cousins all in a 45 min radius and most have 3-4 kids) and we do this it's AMAZING! I never buy clothes or cribs, dressers, swings, rocking chairs, etc. if I don't want. We have boxes of kids clothes labeled by size and if you need it you just pick it up from who had that size last. If you buy anything it does go "communal" unless it's like a special outfit or something but it's an awesome system in my opinion. 

Theres going to be two boys born born at the same time this winter and I went through clothes with my other pregnant cousin and we had enough to split up with another person too if we wanted. 

Honstly i think it's good for the environment and good for lowering some of the stress when your pregnant  worrying about all the stuff you need. And baby showers fill any gaps and replenishs things that are worn out. 

• Upvote 28
  • Love 15

23 hours ago, clueliss said:

I suspect that any of the 'missing' items/furniture etc went to what I think of as 'central Duggar storage.'  We've seen in situations like Joe & Kendra moving into the log house a whole load of furniture came out of central Duggar storage.  JB has all sorts of outbuildings on the property I believe.

And remember the huge "yard sale" they had several years back, which showed several storage barns on the property?

• Upvote 5

The Duggars have associated with HfH before - https://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2011/11/do-good-duggars-recap.html
Sounds like it was organised by Discovery though, rather than the Duggars. 
If was organized by Discovery Networks. It was in Birmingham, AL in 2011. They and other TLC stars helped rebuild houses after a devistating tornado outbreak. From what I was told the Duggars acted very snooty and were hard to work with.
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

Now that's a Godly and a very Duggar way of bringing tater tots to the table: request and receive tons of free gifts and then resale them.

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • Haha 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic