IGNORED

Joy & Austin 29: RV Living

Coconut Flan

10 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Doesn't JB own a credit card processing whatever.  Like, they make money off being some kind of middle man. Hmmmm.....

PayPal is doing the processing for this particular venture.  Funny how they they have an ‘ongoing’ mission in the Philippines yet they haven’t been granted tax-exempt status yet?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

21 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

I have the smallest feet in my family at a women's size 5.5 to 6. It can sometimes be hard to find shoes.

On the other hand, when we can find shoes in the children's section we save some$$. I can sometimes wear a 3, usually a 4. I agree that 5.5 and 6 are hard to find.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 8/27/2019 at 8:09 PM, SassyPants said:

This is a very serious question, do you think any of the Duggar/former Duggar women believe that they should have to actually work? Personally, I don’t. IMO, they (for the most part) believe that beyond being joyfully available, praising Jesus at every turn, and having baby after baby, there’s not much else required of them. The one thing that doesn’t fit is the show. I do wonder how these women justify working the family show, especially when most of them have husbands, members of the male species, who do not have any job beyond that show. So, both the men and women ( kids too for that matter, so much for precious blessings)are working at the same capacity in most of those families.

Placing the above aside, I do like your idea. 

it's their ministry

• Upvote 1

Ok. Am I just being mean, or do the “Medic” team including Austin not belong in the Bahamas????
They don't belong there. They lack the necessary training and qualifications. Plus they are there to prosthelytize.
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

Last year we had 2 Typhoons and several tropical storms hit the island we were living on. IMO, there is plenty of work immediately after for people that don't have much training. Primarily clearing debris from roadways and buildings.  EMT training is also helpful and needed, if training is current. While some people need more advance treatment there are plenty of basic injuries to treat and triage to run.  A good friend of ours is on a DMAT (Disaster Medical Assistance Team) and he is an EMT (and firefighter). He isn't deploying at this time since he isn't currently on call, but he has been called up several times in the past. 

However. it always worries me when these fundy groups use names that indicate they are a a proper medical team since of the ones we know mostly don't have the proper medical training to be helpful. Also, because the are likely (in my opinion) to handout tracks. Hopefully this isn't the case and the Duggar family is tagging along as support for real trained medical professionals and they are actually getting dirty and working. Not on a missioncation for Instrgram pictures. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, RosyDaisy said:
On 9/3/2019 at 8:18 PM, PurpleCats said:
Ok. Am I just being mean, or do the “Medic” team including Austin not belong in the Bahamas????

They don't belong there. They lack the necessary training and qualifications. Plus they are there to prosthelytize.

On a side note, speaking of groups that don't belong down there maybe Scientology will send of some of their volunteers to the Bahamas too.

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

Austin's EMT training is most likely legitimate, a number of the Duggers were on a local volunteer fire dept (they made an episode of getting dispatched to one of the larger tornados Joplin maybe?) And that would have required proper certification not an ATI gold star. 

That said being a properly certified EMT doesn't mean he should be in a disaster zone. While they likely could offer some practical assistance they are also using resources (runway space, food, living space, drinkable water etc) that will be limited. Are disaster relief orgs needed? Most defintely but there's so many that know what they are doing and are well trained to respond to these situations (Salvation Army, Red Cross etc)  that a group of strapping young fundy lads is really not neccessary. I'm sure their hearts are in the right place, I'm sure they are being useful, I don't actually think they are tracting or proselytizing as much as offering tangible support. It's just not worth the cost of having them there.

I'll get off my soapbox now, smart aid is something I'm really passionate about and have embarrassed poor Mr. May on more than one occasion when I've started one of my Operation Christmas Child rants. 

Edited by LacyMay
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

Austin's EMT training is most likely legitimate, a number of the Duggers were on a local volunteer fire dept (they made an episode of getting dispatched to one of the larger tornados Joplin maybe?)

Yes it was Joplin in May 2011, but it was days after the tornado not the day of or day after. I remember watching that and thinking, WTF? There were red Xs spray painted on the damaged dwellings meaning they had already been searched. It was just another staged storyline.

Until these people present their actual qualifications, I'm not going to believe they are qualified for anything. This what fundies do. They form their own little disaster missions groups just so they won't be told what to do or have few people telling them what to do. Make no mistake, these people prey on survivors with their proselytizing. That is the real reason for their disaster missions. That and to make themselves look good.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

23 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

Joy actually mentioned that Austin is a certified EMT so I can see that being useful in the Bahamas if it's true. Can anyone actually verify this or is his "EMT" training like their "homeschooling"? 

Austin does have an active Arkansas EMT certification (issued March 2018, expires March 2020)

The only Duggar listed is Joe but his certification is expired (expired March 2014)

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 13

I was going to ask what an emt has to do to be qualified and then I realised I had google...

So does this mean they vaccinate? 

I have always wondered if they vaccinate. 

CFA2369D-5B8D-4522-B357-8262155BEE1D.png

Edited by AussieKrissy
Edited to ask upon further googling it says there is levels of emt? Does Austin have more than the first level of training?
  • Upvote 3

I have friends who ask for donations to legitimate 401c3 charities for their birthdays on FB. Wouldn't that be better than saying, "Look at me. I'm volunteering. Send money. "? If you can't afford to actually volunteer, maybe you should send money to actual charities who are trained.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

Just thinking about how much money they’re spending/begging to be there, and how much more good it would do in the hands of a reputable organization has me seething. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 11

But they can't get godly points and instagram photos if they don't GO there and force themselves on legitimate volunteers. Sending money to actual places that are going to use it to help victims is the best thing you can do. EMT training isn't enough. It's a great thing to have, I'm not minimizing it, but that's not what's needed in these disaster zones. They need people to help rebuild. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, LacyMay said:

I'll get off my soapbox now, smart aid is something I'm really passionate about and have embarrassed poor Mr. May on more than one occasion when I've started one of my Operation Christmas Child rants. 

Can I ask you to jump back on the soapbox for an Operation Christmas Child rant? I’ve given to them in the past and my church is collecting shoeboxes at the moment, I’m interested in hearing another perspective so I can decide whether to support it or not.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Smee said:

Can I ask you to jump back on the soapbox for an Operation Christmas Child rant? I’ve given to them in the past and my church is collecting shoeboxes at the moment, I’m interested in hearing another perspective so I can decide whether to support it or not.

I was going to ask something similar and ask what the operation is? Is it like buying and donating a christmas present for an underprivileged child? 

• Upvote 2

Yes. More on Operation Christmas Child, please. The young child of one of my former students does this in a big way every year, so I always contribute a box. I hope these sweet people aren’t being duped.

• Upvote 3

I used to give, I no longer do due to http://emilyjoypoetry.com/7-reasons-not-to-participate-in-operation-christmas-child-this-year reasons. Instead, I give directly to highly rated international charities, and I also choose a child through my city to sponsor- they leave a list of needed supplies, as opposed to worthless stickers or slinkies for African kids, etc. Kids in my community aren't asking for toys, they're asking for snow pants and boots that fit. It's very humbling to give to them. I go back and forth whether I should 'share' on facebook that I donate- I don't want to do these things to post for 'likes' I want to do them to spread the outreach of these charities. Ultimately I do usually share a link around christmas in hopes than one more kid will have shoes that fit under the tree. (And I've gotten some facebook friends on board to sign up, so on a small scale I'm making an impact there. Worth way more than a Like.) I always make sure to write a note to mom/dad/guardian and tell them, these gifts aren't from me, they're not from Santa, they're from YOU. Don't give me the credit.

Edited by FleeJanaFree
more detail
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 16

The Bahamas thing pisses me off because their Medicorps organization only started posting 3 days ago after Dorian and seems to be parading as a legitimate organization. 

There are plenty of legitimate organizations they could have donated to who have way more experience with hurricane disaster relief. They could even have started a drive back in Arkansas for tools, generators etc. 

I posted some links in Trump 42 of reputable sources if any of y’all are interested. 

I just...don’t trust fundies. Especially for something like this. 

Edited by Jinder Roles
  • Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1

24 minutes ago, LacyMay said:

Oh Boi...just let me put on my big girl panties and brace for the down votes. 

@MathQueen @AussieKrissy @Smee

For those not familiar Operation Christmas Child is an initiative of Samaritans Purse where people fill a shoebox with items (pencils, hair bows, trinket type junk) and the shoeboxes are distributed in a developing country. 

I personally choose not to participate for a number of reasons, one is that I feel that even as a Christian Samaritan's Purse doesn't align well with my values (ie their stance on homosexuality and affirming gay marriage, access to abortion) and I don't agree with tying aid to any type of proslytism (ie adding tracts to the shoeboxes) 

From an aid perspective what's distributed in the boxes is not always culturally appropriate and it can do greater damage by undercutting the local economy and can negatively impact family relationships by showing children that they can have their "needs" met by rich white peope but not their parents. 

I understand the appeal of the shorleboxes and as a child I thought it was great. As an adult I just don't think it's the right fit for how I want to give back. I think that when supporting International the best thing is to donate money to organizations that work with local people to create sustainable change. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Samaritan's purse not only add tracts to the boxes but require conversion to their brand of Christianity before giving them out? 

Me personally I do a small monthly donation to St. Baldrick's and then a larger donation at Christmas time and in September as it's Childhood Cancer Awareness month.  It's not a lot but it's what I can afford to give and I personally I feel like giving to a reputable charity is better then throwing money at these "Medicorp" type charities that pop up everywhere. The duggars could do so much more by saying "Hey xyz happened at this place and this charity is raising money you should go donate to them" Then "Hey give us money so we can take pictures of us pretending to help without getting our godly hands dirty."

Edited by Peaches-n-Beans
edited because i pressed post too soon like a dingbat
  • Upvote 13

5 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Samaritan's purse not only add tracts to the boxes but require conversion to their brand of Christianity before giving them out? 

I don’t know if they force conversion, but they do come with a LOT of Christian strings attached. Samaritan’s Purse are an awful, awful organisation. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

I've heard that they do but don't know forsure so I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that they do. It can be a sensitive topic because people who participate genuinely feel like they are doing a good thing so I try to be aware of that when voicing my oppinion on it.

Edited by LacyMay
Riffles
  • Upvote 4

On 9/5/2019 at 11:48 AM, Bad Wolf said:

I have friends who ask for donations to legitimate 401c3 charities for their birthdays on FB. Wouldn't that be better than saying, "Look at me. I'm volunteering. Send money. "? If you can't afford to actually volunteer, maybe you should send money to actual charities who are trained.

I've asked for donations to US Vets and/or Veterans Village here as a memorial for my husband. They do incredible things for Veterans. US Vets helps with housing, sobriety, clothing, connecting to the VA for help. Veterans Village is now 5 or 6 complexes for homeless vets, homeless veteran families, women vets, vets who need assisted living, vets with substance abuse problems (they don't have to get clean to move in). They offer them ALL safe, secure housing, transportation to doctors' appointments, all sorts of good things you'd want to see for the Veteran community. As soon as I finish getting Mr. Xtian's clothes and shit together I'm taking it all up there for them. I talked to someone on the phone who said they really could use all the donations. 

Anybody interested, DM me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 29

I know the Maxwells do Operation Christmas Child. Sarah does several blog posts about it every year, from their “Christmas in July” event, through poses photos in various shops buying things to go in the boxes, to packing them. 

• Upvote 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic