• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

Joy & Austin 29: RV Living

SassyPants
1 hour ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Now that's a Godly and a very Duggar way of bringing tater tots to the table: request and receive tons of free gifts and then resale them.

If that’s the intent, and with these people and their reputation for grifting it’s always a possibility, that is really crass, IMO. 

Bobology
3 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

If you buy anything it does go "communal" unless it's like a special outfit or something but it's an awesome system in my opinion. 

I love this. If we had any kind of extended family around I would want to do this. Your family sounds awesome!

SassyPants
24 minutes ago, Bobology said:

I love this. If we had any kind of extended family around I would want to do this. Your family sounds awesome!

Me too. When I had my kids, (the youngest turned 29 yesterday), we had the essentials, and not much else. When my daughter had her 1 and only 5 years ago, she borrowed much of the baby stuff. She had a crib, but never used it, a car seat, stroller and Ergo and some clothes and cloth diapers. My nieces and nephews have all been having kids for the last 6 years, and the amount of stuff they ask for is over the top. I don’t think people realize that a baby isn’t a baby for very long. All those chairs, jumperoos, activity contraptions...where do people store all that crap? Also, unless you plan on having an army, much of  it never gets used.

SassyPants

One of my nieces had a baby one year ago, he turned 1 last week, and I swear he was crawling by 5 months and running by 9 months, sort of like Alyssa Webster’s girls. He seemingly went from a newborn blob to a toddler over night. I doubt she used half the haul she received. Since this kid also started daycare at about 4 months, there literally would have been little time for him to use all those jumpers, activity contraptions etc.

VelociRapture

My sister and I have kids close in age - her oldest son is 9.5 months older than my daughter and my son will be about 16/17 months younger than her second son. We have definitely shared a lot of our baby stuff with each other over the years. Her youngest is actually using my daughter’s old bottles right now, though they’re trying to get him off those so we can have them back before the baby arrives. It’ll be a lot easier to share clothes this time since the age gap between our kids will be bigger, but I have a feeling my son might grow out of the hand-me-downs pretty fast. Our daughter is already taller than my oldest nephew, my younger nephew is on the tiny side for his age, and my son was measuring around the 76th percentile a month ago - which doesn’t mean much, but husband, daughter, and I are all tall, so we just have a hunch our son will be too. We did still have to buy a lot of stuff for our daughter, but we plan to reuse most of it and then hopefully pass it on to our friends if any of them decide they want children. If we can’t do that then we’ll see about selling or donating what we can.

I do plan to keep some special items, like my daughter’s NICU hats. I’m hoping to have some of our newborn clothes sewn into special stuffed animals for each of my kids once my son outgrows that stuff too. :) 

Wine time!
allthegoodnamesrgone
5 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:
8 hours ago, bal maiden said:
The Duggars have associated with HfH before - https://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2011/11/do-good-duggars-recap.html
Sounds like it was organised by Discovery though, rather than the Duggars. 

If was organized by Discovery Networks. It was in Birmingham, AL in 2011. They and other TLC stars helped rebuild houses after a devistating tornado outbreak. From what I was told the Duggars acted very snooty and were hard to work with.

I recall hearing about the Duggar's or Discovery Networks setting up a "food drive/donation" to a "needy family" where the Duggar's gave them all kinds of stuff, then when the cameras turned off they took the stuff back and went home with it. They are not kind caring sharing alturistic people they are give me my shit, I'm God's chosen spechual snowflake. 

Screamapillar
45 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Our daughter is already taller than my oldest nephew, my younger nephew is on the tiny side for his age, and my son was measuring around the 76th percentile a month ago - which doesn’t mean much, but husband, daughter, and I are all tall, so we just have a hunch our son will be too. 

Mothers of giant toddlers unite! My daughter is 3 next week and is 41 inches tall, my son is 1 next week and is already wearing size 2T clothes. I thought his sister was huge at that age but she at least could still wear 12 month tops and onesies at one year because her height is all in her legs. Prepare for VelociBoy to grow out of a size every month. It's maddening. :pb_lol:

VelociRapture
38 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

Mothers of giant toddlers unite! My daughter is 3 next week and is 41 inches tall, my son is 1 next week and is already wearing size 2T clothes. I thought his sister was huge at that age but she at least could still wear 12 month tops and onesies at one year because her height is all in her legs. Prepare for VelociBoy to grow out of a size every month. It's maddening. :pb_lol:

Oh man. Velocitoddler was already a bit over 38 inches at her 2.5 year appointment. She’s been wearing 4T clothes since then too. I’m pretty curious how big she’ll be at her 3 year wellness check this December and whether she’ll hit the 41 inch mark like your daughter. 

And yeah, we’re expecting Velocibaby, Second of their Name, to grow pretty fast. Our daughter grew very quick as a baby, but that was because she was a preemie and needed to catch up to where she would have been if she were full term. 

SassyPants

My GD was always on the big side, at least for our family. She was the fist baby born at > 8 lb. she just grew and grew and grew. Last weekend my daughter sent a photo of C. With her Kindergarten peers, and she is among the tiniest in the class. I’m not surprised that it happened, but it was sudden. I don’t think she’s much over 41 inches tall. My daughter is very tiny too.

Spent
Satan'sFortress
On 8/26/2019 at 10:09 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

*ETA, there is a Habitat Restore directly across the street from my office, and our company buys a lot of supplies from them, and DH and I bought our new kitchen flooring from them.  If you want to help this wonderful charity, locate your local Habitat Restore in your area. 

There is a ReStore near us. I had no idea that they had flooring though. We really need to get a new kitchen floor. I will check it out.  Thanks!

Happy
Daisy0322
9 hours ago, Bobology said:

Haha every family has good and bad things. My cousins and I all get along extremely well though. 

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I don’t think people realize that a baby isn’t a baby for very long. All those chairs, jumperoos, activity contraptions...where do people store all that crap? 

Yes! My son spent a lot of time in the swing and activity saucer  but hated bouncers and jump-a-roos. Which was no big deal because we didn't buy any of it, we just barrowed stuff lol we just gave it to the next baby to come along but I would've died if we bought all that stuff we didn't use. I am guilty of buying a lot of clothes because I like our family to coordinate for holidays and pictures but I still didn't buy nearly as much as some and we needed to replenish some clothes in the community stash anyway. 

on storage-  our kids will only be two years apart so we just kept everything out but storing it I would imagine to be a nightmare too. 

JesSky03

Eh, if you're smart about what you buy you can still get the gear without sacrificing much space. We have a 1100 sq ft house with no basement or garage and still had most of the typical baby gear. Our jumperoo breaks down into pieces, our swing folds up, we got a baby/toddler rocker instead of a bouncer so my 1.5 year old still uses it, our high chair folds flat, pack n play folds up, son still uses the crib, the changing table offers lots of storage, and so on. Storing it all hasn't been too bad considering all we really have are bedroom closets. Baby #2 will be here early next year so getting ready to pull it out again soon. 

Four is Enough
21 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I do plan to keep some special items, like my daughter’s NICU hats. I’m hoping to have some of our newborn clothes sewn into special stuffed animals for each of my kids once my son outgrows that stuff too. :) 

My mother saved the outfit she brought us home from the hospital in. I still have mine, saved with my baptismal dress, first communion dress and veil, and wedding dress...

I saved my kids' baptismal outfits and First Communion things..

Meggo
23 hours ago, Bobology said:

We were very blessed - we got a TON of baby stuff for my son when he was born. We came home one day to find a crib in our spare room and a stroller in the garage with a baby car seat.  And there have been VERY few clothes I've had to buy. 

The DOWN side to this is - my niece has been doing most of the donation (her son is maybe 2 years older than mine) - will constantly comment on the hand me downs. "Oh - I remember that shirt" every single time. I took a pic of my son sitting in a chair we'd recently gotten reupholstered and I posted it to FB and she said "Nice shirt" 

every.single. TIME. 
She offered her old couch for our cottage and despite Hubs desperately wanting to get rid of the one we have there - he said "HECK no - she'd think that gives her part ownership of the cottage or something..." 

Screamapillar

Aw. My brother and SIL have given me some of my niece's hand-me-downs (they also have two younger boys but those guys wore their clothes out! No salvageable hand-me-downs there). My niece is almost 8 now, and most of the times that I dress my daughter in one of her hand me down dresses I'll text a pic to my brother so my niece can see. If it's been awhile, my brother will send me a text saying that niece wants to see her cousin wearing more of her dresses! My niece is probably just on the verge about not caring about stuff like this anymore, but it's really sweet.

Puzzled
finnlassie

In regards to Joy's recent instagram story, has she gone sleevless before? Also, when will it stop shocking me when married off Duggar ladies start wearing anything that would've been 100% forbidden back home?

VBOY9977
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

In regards to Joy's recent instagram story, has she gone sleevless before? Also, when will it stop shocking me when married off Duggar ladies start wearing anything that would've been 100% forbidden back home?

She wore one on her ig post from the 25th of July. 

Edited by VBOY9977

Wine time!
allthegoodnamesrgone
On 8/29/2019 at 2:44 PM, VelociRapture said:

Oh man. Velocitoddler was already a bit over 38 inches at her 2.5 year appointment. She’s been wearing 4T clothes since then too. I’m pretty curious how big she’ll be at her 3 year wellness check this December and whether she’ll hit the 41 inch mark like your daughter. 

And yeah, we’re expecting Velocibaby, Second of their Name, to grow pretty fast. Our daughter grew very quick as a baby, but that was because she was a preemie and needed to catch up to where she would have b, been if she were full term. 

DS was a moose of a toddler (he's now a moose of a man) at 2 years old he was 40 inches tall and weighed 42 pounds, everyone thought he was much older and developmentally delayed because he wasn't talking and was still in diapers. I had one idiot woman who'd known us and DS since before he was born, ask me once point blank "what is wrong with him?"  as I sat their gobsmacked at her stupidity another friend said "For goodness sake he's tall not r-word, he's 2 weeks YOUNGER than Holden (her son)" stupid woman was like OH wow, I keep forgetting how young he is.  

DS was born at 36 weeks and was still 8lbs, DD was born 10 days early was 9lbs 2oz, but by 3 months DS was bigger than DD, he grew very rapidly, she did not. at 1 year old she was wearing 12 month clothes he was wearing 2T. DD was always pretty spot on age to size wise, at 2 she wore 2T, at 3 3T etc.  DS was always 3 or 4 sizes ahead of his age.  He was off the chart height & weight wise and she was 75th to 90th percentile in weight height and head circumference both kids got my huge noggin. 

raspberrymint

My nephew and my oldest will have 11 years between them, and my wife's baby sister is less than two years older than my nephew.  Her other nieces and nephews are 0 - 6 between two sisters, probably no more on the way on her side for another ten to twenty years.  (Edit:  Nephew and Baby Sister-in-Law are the preteens, not my fetus.)

Most likely our kids will just wear out stuff instead of giving them to cousins, since they'll be the youngest cousins for a long time at least.  We plan on a larger family, so stuff will probably just get used until it can't be anymore, but we'll see.

Edited by raspberrymint
clarity

crancraz

Used baby items/hand-me-downs sound wonderful. I’ve always been pregnant at off times from friends—ie the first to have a baby and now the last to have a baby! And my brother is 5 years younger and has stage 4 colon cancer, so he won’t be having children. I have a small extended family. And I’m the oldest cousin by 5+ years and the only one with kids (and I have three, so I’m doing my familial duty!). My youngest cousin is 15 and closer to my oldest daughter than me in age. There is no one to give me stuff and no one for me to give my stuff too! That and the fact that my kids are all 6 years apart means rebuying everything each time. 

Sad
Jody

@velocirapture, are you a sahm

Sad
Jody

@Seculardaisy Wow, you are expecting your fifth child and you still felt the need to downvote my post that was literally screaming with grief over the babies that I lost. You are a miserable excuse for a human being.

• Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 14
  • Confused 5
  • WTF 5
  • Love 1

laPapessaGiovanna
39 minutes ago, Jody said:

@Seculardaisy Wow, you are expecting your fifth child and you still felt the need to downvote my post that was literally screaming with grief over the babies that I lost. You are a miserable excuse for a human being.

From the rules 

No one owes anyone an explanation for downvotes and they can be given for any reason, from serious disagreement to an avatar that doesn't amuse you.  Don't ask about down votes in the threads - that's not drift it's disruption.  Also remember that people accidentally downvote when on mobile so if it happens and there is no other reason to believe your post is objectionable do everyone a favor and let it go.

If anyone has more to say on this topic please do it in the Community Discussion forum. Any post on this topic that may be posted in this thread will otherwise be moved to CD.

laPapessaGiovanna

The discussion about downvotes has been moved here 

Dizzy
nelliebelle1197
11 hours ago, raspberrymint said:

My nephew and my oldest will have 11 years between them, and my wife's baby sister is less than two years older than my nephew.  Her other nieces and nephews are 0 - 6 between two sisters, probably no more on the way on her side for another ten to twenty years.  (Edit:  Nephew and Baby Sister-in-Law are the preteens, not my fetus.)

Most likely our kids will just wear out stuff instead of giving them to cousins, since they'll be the youngest cousins for a long time at least.  We plan on a larger family, so stuff will probably just get used until it can't be anymore, but we'll see.

I prefer thinking your fetus is the preteen thankyouverymuch.