IGNORED

What Are You Reading Part 3

Coconut Flan

Just finished Before and After the true stories of adoptees from The Tennessee Children's Home Society.  The author of Before We Were Yours (which is based on this) contributed.  Absolutely heartbreaking. 

• Upvote 5

• 4 weeks later...

Since my last post in early December:

regular fiction:

The Institute, by Stephen King.  loved it!

Joyland, by Stephen King.  This one I only liked so-so.

The Black Jersey, by Jorge Zepeda Patterson -- a so-so quality mystery but set in the unique context of professional bike racing -- if you enjoy that sport you'll probably like the book.

cozies:

Murder by Mocha

A Brew to a Kill

Holiday Buzz

Billionaire Blend -- all part of the coffeehouse mystery series by Cleo Coyle

non-fiction -- self-help/psychology:

Grain Brain, by David Perlmutter

Foodist, by Darya Pino Rose

Zero Waste Home, by Bea Johnson

Talking to Strangers, by Malcolm Gladwell (disappointed in this one)

non-fiction -- politics/history/science/memoirs:

Blowout, by Rachel Maddow

Permanent Record, by Edward Snowden

Lights Out, by Ted Koppel

Mindf*ck: Cambridge Analytica and the Plot to Break America, by Christopher Wylie

A Warning, by Anonymous, a senior official in the Trump Administration

The Impeachers: The Trial of Andrew Johnson and the Dream of A Just Nation, by Brenda Wineapple

currently listening to:

This Land: How Cowboys, Capitalism and Corruption are Ruining the American West, by Christopher Ketcham.  Highly recommend if you are interested in environmental and land management issues in the Western US.

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

I just finished the non-fiction:

Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann

about the early formation of the FBI and the conspiracy to murder the Osage tribe in Oklahoma.  Incredible.  Highly recommend reading it.

• Upvote 5

• 2 months later...

Okay, is nobody reading during the pandemic?  Or just not posting about it?

Since my last post in mid-February:

Nonfiction, science/politics/history: subset:  all about the Gilded Age:

The Inventor and the Tycoon: A Gilded Age Murder and the Birth of the Moving Picture, by Edward Ball

John Muir, Magnificent Tramp, by Rod Miller

The Great Influenza, by John M. Barry

Ruthless Tide: The Heroes and Villains of the Johnstown Flood, America's Astonishing Gilded Age Disaster, by Al Roker

Andrew Carnegie, by David Nasaw

Ghosts of Gold Mountain: The Epic Story of the Chinese Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad, by Gordon H. Chang

and just finishing "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson

Current era science/politics/history nonfiction:

She Said, by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey

The Good Neighbor: The Life and Work of Fred Rogers, by Maxwell King

The Age of Surveillance Capitalism, by Shoshana Zuboff

Cozy and other light mysteries:

Once Upon A Grind, Dead to the Last Drop, and Dead Cold Brew, more coffeehouse mysteries by Cleo Coyle (only a few more left!)

Sue Grafton's alphabet M, N, O, and P

A Plain Vanilla Murder, by Susan Wittig Albert (China Bayles series)

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Okay, is nobody reading during the pandemic?  Or just not posting about it?

I've been reading, but I don't remember exactly which books I've read lately. There's been a lot on my mind. (I'm sure I'm not the only one.) I was checking out Sue Grafton books from my library's ap, to re-read them all in a row. But I kind of got stuck at "B is for Burglar". I'll go back and reread them all at some point. My husband bought us Kathy Reich's latest Temperance Brennan book, "A Conspiracy of Bones". After looking it over, I realized I had never read the novel before it, "Speaking in Bones". So, I read that one on OverDrive. I'm halfway through "Conspiracy", but I keep getting stuck every time Tempe goes somewhere dangerous by herself. I keep thinking, "Stop that!!" I'm also partway through the kid's classic, "The Witch of Blackbird Pond".

Then at Fred Meyer earlier this week, I bought J.A. Jance's newest J.P. Beaumont mystery to come out in paperback, "Sins of the Fathers". I'm finding it easier to stick to, because I've been enjoying her books since the 90's. I have a lot of emotional investment in Beau! :pb_lol:

So, I guess I'm reading a fair amount, I'm just very distractable. After I finish the three books I have going, my plan is to read Brandon Mull's "Fablehaven" series. (YA Fantasy) I've read books 1 & 2, and just bought book 3. So, reread the first two, read the third, then check out four and five on OverDrive. After that we'll see.

Oh, I did read all three books in Brandon Mull's "Beyonders" series, but I think that was before the stay-at-home order started. :think:

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

I'm reading - less.  Because a lot of my reading was done in a 30+ minute one way commute to work and from work plus when on walks.  Only now I'm work from home so there is less reading not more.

• Upvote 4

I thought there would be more activity on this board with more people staying at home, so I'm glad you posted some reading suggestions. Thank you!!  I just returned from an ophthalmology appointment, where I was finally diagnosed with a vision problem affecting my ability to read paper and Kindle books (bummer!), so I've been continuing to get the hang of audiobooks. 

Here are a few I've enjoyed:

River of Darkness: Francisco Orellana's Legendary Voyage of Death and Discovery Down the Amazon by Buddy Levy

Empty Mansions by Bill Dedman (about reclusive heiress Huguette Clark)

Inheritance by Dani Shapiro (about taking a DNA test and a surprising revelation)

The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer (good CIA black ops type action novel)

The Stranger Beside Me (abridged version) by Ann Rule

Ringworld by Larry Niven (currently listening to book one of the series)

• Love 3

I'm sorry to hear of your vision issues, @CTRLZero.  I have always been a written word person and thought for decades I couldn't concentrate well enough to do audiobooks, but I managed to successfully switch to them a few years ago purely for time management purposes.  I'm sure I'm not absorbing 100% of what I did when paper reading, as I used to stop and reread a paragraph when needed, plus also stop and go back to refresh my memory about a character or a scene -- but I've discovered that isn't as significant a concern as I had expected.  I still end up with a satisfying grokking/memory of the book, and the increase in both volume of books I get through, as well as garden/house projects accomplished while listening, makes it a worthwhile transition for me.  I hope you find it as satisfying too.

Sometimes I feel bad because as a library employee I'm not adding to our circulation statistics by checking out either hard copy books or physical disc audiobooks -- 99% of all my reading/listening is now done using Overdrive -- but again, the increase volume and satisfaction just can't be beat.

I have put myself on the waitlist for Empty Mansions.  Thanks for the recommendation!

And @WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?, I definitely understand the 'having a lot on one's mind'.  Some friends thought I was crazy for wanting to read about the 1918 flu pandemic in response to the current virus.  But I only partly read for escape -- most of the nonfiction I read is to try to "understand the world" better.  And while it didn't make things any less scary, I did have an increased understanding about how these kind of things have happened throughout history after reading John Barry's book.  I was even astounded at the deniers and political shenanigans that happened in 1918 surrounding the Spanish Flu -- almost the same as what we are seeing today!  (that was both distressing and somehow comforting at the same time)

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I'm sure I'm not absorbing 100% of what I did when paper reading, as I used to stop and reread a paragraph when needed, plus also stop and go back to refresh my memory about a character or a scene -- but I've discovered that isn't as significant a concern as I had expected.

There is definitely a knack to absorbing and enjoying audiobooks, but at this point I'm glad it's an option.  I've learned that I currently do better if it is a shorter book, say 12 hours or so.  Having a good narrator helps.  I've abandoned a couple of books because I did not like the reading style.  I've occasionally checked out the e-book as well as the audiobook, because sometimes I do need to review something, or just understand an unusual name, etc.  So, it's a process.  I can't complain, because it's so wonderful to have all these options.  ?

I've been wanting to read the Barry book, too.  In the meantime, I've listened to a couple sci-fi novels about pandemics.

Re:  the audiobook of Empty Mansions.  There are actual recordings included of Huguette talking to a relative, so that made it even more interesting.  Plus, her fortune came from her father.  He was about as rich as the Vanderbilts and Rockefellers, but I had not heard of him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? I forgot two comments I meant to include. 

First, I've read the first two Temperance Brennan books and I think that is the next series I might focus on once I'm done with Sue Grafton's alphabet.  Assuming the audiobooks are available on Overdrive, that is.  I enjoyed them!  Have not seen the Bones TV show, maybe someday will watch that too.

And second, I too am having these funny reactions when a character from a book is in a crowded room, and I find myself thinking "How disrespectful, they're not social distancing!" :my_tongue:

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

I've read the first two Temperance Brennan books

I recall reading some Temperance Brennan books when they first came out.  I just put the first one on hold, so I'll look forward to listening to that to see if I enjoy it now that over 20 years have passed. 

9 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

"How disrespectful, they're not social distancing!"

How things have changed!  I have this same experience watching movies.  "Look at those people, sitting/standing next to each other.  Closer than six feet!  Without masks!"   ?? <--- not sure whether I should laugh or cry.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

I currently have Tombland by CJ Sansom going on audio. It’s taking me forever to get thru this (it is rather long at 37 hours).  I recommend the author for Tudor history fans.  Historical mystery.  Also could be good reads for those who enjoyed the history feel I’d the game of thrones universe.  (Start with Dissolution )

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

On 5/2/2020 at 11:02 AM, church_of_dog said:

And second, I too am having these funny reactions when a character from a book is in a crowded room, and I find myself thinking "How disrespectful, they're not social distancing!" :my_tongue:

When I find myself thinking that (or similar) when I'm reading a book or watching a television show, I tell myself that the events must have happened in 2019 or earlier. Even tv shows that are supposed to be happening in spring 2020, I adjust the timeline. It makes me a little less distracted by the social non-distancing. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

May has been a goldmine for new releases that I've been looking forward to. 

Just Finished: Kimberly McCreight-A Good Marriage 

Currently Reading: Jennifer Weiner-Big Summer 

Next Up: Heather Gudenkauf-This is How I Lied 

I struggle with audiobooks, I find I need to be doing something while I listen but then I inevitably get distracted. I got about halfway through Those Girls (about the yogurt shop murders) on audiobook and then just stopped listening. I think I'll probably have to read it instead. Which is a shame because I have a lot of audiobooks from when Mr. May and I had an audible membership that we kept forgetting to cancel. 

• Upvote 4

I've nearly finished The Testaments. I was going to read the Wolf Hall trilogy next but decided to read The Sixth Wife by Jean Plaidy followed by The Last Wife of Henry VIII by Carolly Erickson instead.

• Upvote 6

I just finished listening to "The Woman Who Smashed Codes" by Jason Fagone.  It's the story of a codebreaking couple, Elizebeth Smith Friedman and her husband William Friedman, and some interesting codebreaking characters.  Even though this is a book dealing with encoded messages during WWI and WWII, the audiobook didn't bog down and narrate the entire sequence of coded messages, but rather referred the reader to a website containing photos of the messages after reading a brief sample.  The enigma machine and other coding methods have always intrigued me, and this book gave a good sampling.

My next read will probably be John Barry's "The Great Influenza," which just arrived in the mail today.  I bought a hard copy so my husband can share the reading experience with me. 

• Upvote 2

After listening to the first Temperance Brennan (Kathy Reichs, author) book and enjoying it, I have the second one on hold. 

Now I am listening to book two in the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher.  It's read by James Marsters (Spike in the Buffy/Angel series).  His voice is wonderful.  I'm really enjoying the books so far (love his voice, did I already mention that, lol).

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

@CTRLZero James Marsters reads (so far) all but one of the books in that series.  To me, he IS the voice of Harry.  I love that series.

What I'm not loving (but am almost done with - thank goodness this one was short) is Tricky Twenty-Two (Stephanie Plum Series) by Janet Evanovich.  Yes, it had it's funny moments but lordy the plot, in my opinion, was put together by poo flinging monkeys.  It's a bit of a mess.  (and I'd like to thank FJers for cluing me in to adjusting the read speed on audio books - because I did that yesterday with this one so I could chug through the rest of it a bit faster).  I just noticed I have about 16 minutes to go and may knock it out now.  

• Upvote 2

I read this and thought of FJ - it's from Size 12 and Ready to Rock - a Heather Wells mystery by Meg Cabot.  

Spoiler

image.png.3004cd6e3eafda5683562ab2bf1e6c0d.png

I may have been thinking - Um there may be one or two FJ members willing to wear HK underwear.  

• Haha 2

I am reading The Sugar Barons.  It's about the sugar plantations and the families that made (& lost) their fortunes in Barbados.  

• Upvote 4

I always forget about this thread. I just finished The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah and The Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate. Before that was The Girl with Seven names by Lee Hyeon-seo and David John.

I'm not sure what I am going to read next. I have few options on my kindle and on my bookshelf but I haven;t settled on anything. We have a busy few days coming up  getting stuff done around the house. but then my husband is leaving to go get his dad settled back home after he has been having some medical issues so I will likely have some time on my hands. 

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Seattle Noir and plan to re read Native Son next. Also have The Great Influenza queued up.  

• Upvote 4

I’m reading kindred by Steve Robinson he has a series with a genealogy detective so everything ties to genealogy.

• Upvote 4

Finally reading Jasper fforde Thursday next books. They are great funny, adventurous and for book geeks

I'm also reading Justinian flea- history about a Byzantine plague .

Planning on the beach by Neville white next 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, byzant said:

Finally reading Jasper fforde Thursday next books. They are great funny, adventurous and for book geeks

I'm also reading Justinian flea- history about a Byzantine plague .

Planning on the beach by Neville white next 

Neville shute damn autocorrect

• Haha 3