IGNORED

Pope Francis

47of74

Leila Miller has a post about it. As usual it is a well-reasoned, rational response....who am I kidding it is nuttier than a bag of squirrels. Somehow it is linked to Marxism, BLM and Democrats. This despite the fact that she admits that she never goes to the Latin Mass 🙄

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

The People of Praise community started in South Bend, Indiana, but soon established satellite communities.  I think they were always ecumenical.  I think they are not quite as batshit crazy as the nearby Mother of God community or the Word of God community in Ann Arbor, Michigan which are totally batshit.  

Well if we are opening up Michigan there are a lot of batshit communities there.  Grand Rapids has some issues.  I mean AnnaMatrix didn’t get cray in a vacuum.

I love Michigan.  One of the reasons I was willing to move back to the South Bend area was being so close to the lake and I live just a mile from the border and spend so much time hiking there.  But it’s a lot of batshit too.  Especially the central and western part.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Francis had had enough of a certain large “Catholic” television channel. 

During the Q&A session, another Jesuit told Francis that in the Slovak church “some even see you as heterodox, while others idealize you. We Jesuits try to overcome this division.” He asked the pope, “How do you deal with people who look at you with suspicion?”

Pope Francis remarked, “There is, for example, a large Catholic television channel that has no hesitation in continually speaking ill of the pope.” He said: “I personally deserve attacks and insults because I am a sinner, but the church does not deserve them. They are the work of the devil. I have also said this to some of them.”

While Francis did not name the “large Catholic television channel” in his answer, his remark “I have also said this to some of them” offers a clue as to which station he was referring. America has learned from three different Vatican officials, who asked for anonymity because they were not authorized to speak, that the pope touched on this same topic on his flight from Rome to Baghdad on March 5, when he greeted each of the journalists on the flight.

EWTN and its associated publications, the National Catholic Register and Catholic News Agency, along with its more than 500 radio affiliates, have been highly critical of Pope Francis. The National Catholic Register was one of two outlets that published the former nuncio to the United States and QAnon conspiracy theorist Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò’s explosive 2018 “testimony” calling on the pope to resign. Raymond Arroyo, the host of EWTN’s “The World Over,” has interviewed many of Pope Francis’ most fervent critics, including Archbishop Viganò, Trump adviser Steve Bannon and Cardinal Raymond Burke.

Yeah Francis crossed the international enough line with EWTN.  Fornicating hypocrites at EWTN were all about respecting the pope when their guy was in charge but sing a whole different tune now.  

Edited by 47of74
Apple how the fuck could you miss woth? You autocorrect everything else I write.
  • Upvote 11
  • Thank You 3

• 47of74 changed the title to Francis Crossed the International Enough Line With EWTN

Thank you for sharing! I'm so glad he did. There are fundies in Catholicism and they need to be checked.. us regular and social justice Catholics have enough issues without the fundies getting a voice. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

EWTN is basically another Faux news, OAN, etc. specifically for Catholics. It is a political commentary  network.

16 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Thank you for sharing! I'm so glad he did. There are fundies in Catholicism and they need to be checked.. us regular and social justice Catholics have enough issues without the fundies getting a voice. 

There are lot of fundies in Catholicism and it's not going to get better until they get rid of the underlying doctrine that creates the fundie Catholic culture. This church is long-overdue for an overhaul and I've given up waiting for it to happen. 

• Upvote 10

50 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

EWTN is basically another Faux news, OAN, etc. specifically for Catholics. It is a political commentary  network.

There are lot of fundies in Catholicism and it's not going to get better until they get rid of the underlying doctrine that creates the fundie Catholic culture. This church is long-overdue for an overhaul and I've given up waiting for it to happen. 

Same here.  It's almost been a decade since I jumped head first in to the Tiber, went over to the Thames, and swam across to the Episcopal Church.  If it hadn't been for the priest at my last parish I probably would've done it years earlier.  I've given up waiting on the church to at least join the mid 20th century.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3

I love that the Catholic fundies were all about “well the pope is the head of the church, doesn’t matter if you don’t LIKE him or what he has to say, just shut up and leave the church if you’re unhappy.” Until Benedict left. And now it’s all “pfffft, screw the Pope, the REAL church is the laity!”
Make up your minds, folks.

• Upvote 11
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2

ahhh yes, the Catholic fundies. I knew a bunch of them when I lived in Indiana. Friends would dive in head first, from public school attending kids, bikini wearing at the pool, wearing shorts to Mass in the summer to homeschooling, "modest wear", headcovering, the whole thing. Then the final step was traveling to wherethehellever they had the Latin Mass and all the apparition, shrine shit too. Dangerous fuckers all. 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, bea said:

I love that the Catholic fundies were all about “well the pope is the head of the church, doesn’t matter if you don’t LIKE him or what he has to say, just shut up and leave the church if you’re unhappy.” Until Benedict left. And now it’s all “pfffft, screw the Pope, the REAL church is the laity!”
Make up your minds, folks.

And the stupidest part of this whole mess is that Benedict and Francis are not that different. I would interested to know what it's like in other parts of the world, but I blame the media for portraying them as totally different and part of different political parties. Every pope I can remember would have had problems with some of the s**t Trump pulled and probably would have taken COVID seriously.

• Upvote 8

5 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

And the stupidest part of this whole mess is that Benedict and Francis are not that different. I would interested to know what it's like in other parts of the world, but I blame the media for portraying them as totally different and part of different political parties. Every pope I can remember would have had problems with some of the s**t Trump pulled and probably would have taken COVID seriously.

The issue seems to be the trad Catholic bunch has thrown their lot in with the conservative/fundamentalist protestant folks. Then again, my Catholicism was more cultural than faith/religion. The "ecumenical" movement seems to only work on the ultra-conservative side these days as opposed to the Social Justice side. 

What's sort of funny is my denomination is rather conservative in many ways, however, it is all about schools, hospitals, community building, helping others. We even have female pastors although the General Conference hasn't quite given its stamp of approval. I think that debate will be settled soon. The executive pastor at my church is female, Student, Children and Education departments are all headed by women with the title "Pastor". The only male pastor is the senior pastor. And we're one of the most integrated denominations in the US. Any given weekend, you'll find white, black, SE Asian, African people, Latino people all hanging out together. The senior pastor is black and from a Caribbean country (wish I could remember which one). 

And remember, the most segregated time in the US is from 9 to noon on any given Sunday. Fuck that noise. 

• Upvote 9

17 hours ago, feministxtian said:

And remember, the most segregated time in the US is from 9 to noon on any given Sunday.

A number of years ago I went to mass and the priest announced the results of a survey taken to see what people wanted for mass times.  He said that if they had masses for all the time people wanted they would have to start at 6:30am on Sunday morning and start a new mass every half hour up until 2pm.  Yeah they didn't want to do that.

17 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I think Benedict or John Paul might have been a bit more resistant to shutting in person stuff down and wanting to push back until it was clear how serious the pandemic was.  But then, yes, they would have been on board with taking COVID seriously.

But yeah I don't think either man is or would be a orange blob fan. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I think Benedict or John Paul might have been a bit more resistant to shutting in person stuff down and wanting to push back until it was clear how serious the pandemic was.  But then, yes, they would have been on board with taking COVID seriously.

But yeah I don't think either man is or would be a orange blob fan. 

Look what happened to Italy, where the Vatican is. I don't think Pope Francis was particularly fast to shut stuff down, and it would have been obvious immediately to how serious the Pandemic was.

• Upvote 2

True but I still think that Benedict or maybe JPII would have held out a bit longer even being in the middle of what was pretty much COVID ground zero at the time.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, 47of74 said:

True but I still think that Benedict or maybe JPII would have held out a bit longer even being in the middle of what was pretty much COVID ground zero at the time.

I'd like to think they wouldn't have been so selfish as to hold out longer, but JPII didn't anything about the priest abuse situations for a long time and Benedict was part of his administration. So who knows?

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

• 2 months later...

Francis isn't having as much of the conservative bullshit his predecessors put up with

The Vatican on Saturday warned conservative Roman Catholics who have balked at Pope Francis' decision to restrict the old traditionalist Latin Mass that they were sowing division and engaging in "sterile polemics".

The Vatican department overseeing sacraments and liturgy issued a directive in response to bishops' requests for clarification following a document in July in which Francis overturned decisions by his two predecessors and tightened access to the Mass.

Religious conservatives in the United States in particular have used the Latin Mass debate to align with politically conservative media outlets to criticise the pope over a host of other issues such as climate change, immigration and social justice.

Saturday's document said conservatives who favour the Latin Mass cannot use such a sacred part of Catholicism to deny the "validity and legitimacy" of the reforms of the 1962-1965 Second Vatican Council, which included an opening to the modern world and dialogue with other religions, particularly Judaism.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

• 1 year later...

Pope Francis crossed the international enough line with a Texas asshole bishop

Pope Francis has removed a Texas bishop from his position after an investigation ordered by the Vatican.

The Pope removed Bishop Joseph E. Strickland from the pastoral governance of the Diocese of Tyler, Texas, after an apostolic visitation conducted by two bishops, according to a statement from Cardinal Daniel Nicholas DiNardo, Metropolitan Archbishop of Galveston-Houston.

Strickland’s removal follows an investigation ordered by the Vatican into “all aspects of the governance and leadership of the Diocese of Tyler,” says DiNardo’s statement.

The visit was ordered by the Pope and conducted by Bishop Dennis Sullivan of Camden, and Bishop Emeritus Gerald Kicanas of Tucson, according to the statement.

The dumbass was confronted with the fact that no one wanted him in office anymore decided to hang on.  So this Branch Trumpvidian Bishop basically forced the Vatican fired him.  Up to me he'd be stuffed in a moastery next to Burke and some of the other asshole Cardinals who basically told Catholics their way or the goddamn highway.   

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

I understand that this is supposed to be a good thing but there are so many problems within the Catholic church that my initial thought was "so what?" I get that it's a Big Deal to remove a bishop from office. But I don't understand this one. To me it's being presented as "Pope Francis did a Really Good Thing!!!" all the while continuing to excuse the church's support of the Nazi's and decades upon decades of child abuse.  This truly feels like one spouse being effusively praised for taking out the garbage one time in two years of marriage while the other spouse has done literally everything else over the last two years. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Branch Trumpvidian

It’s really ironic that you used that term to describe him because the leader of the Branch Dividians, David Koresh, is buried in Tyler, Texas. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1

It seems there's no traditionalist like a Catholic traditionalist. 

Tyler, TX is in Deep East Texas, behind the Pine Curtain*.  Extremely conservative, with an emphasis on extreme. 

Pine Curtain wiki: "The early isolation of the region and its links to the Deep South have resulted in the piney woods being described as a 'curtain' that demarcates a certain cultural enclave or bubble that distinguishes East Texas from the rest of the state."

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

On 11/11/2023 at 8:04 PM, Howl said:

It seems there's no traditionalist like a Catholic traditionalist. 

Tyler, TX is in Deep East Texas, behind the Pine Curtain*.  Extremely conservative, with an emphasis on extreme. 

Pine Curtain wiki: "The early isolation of the region and its links to the Deep South have resulted in the piney woods being described as a 'curtain' that demarcates a certain cultural enclave or bubble that distinguishes East Texas from the rest of the state."

Yes indeed.  East Texas, the home of the IFBLP "Alert Academy", Louie Gohmert, and now defunct Bishop Strickland.

There's a reason I rarely go out.  LOL

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

This asshat was "fired for cause" and good riddance. He sounds like he was and is a blight on the Roman Catholic Church.

• Upvote 5

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/255990/strickland-saga-ousted-bishop-s-interview-vatican-removed

Died in the wool Trump supporter who was always trying to stir up dissension.  He basically refused to follow church decisions and catered to the political beliefs of his area.  

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Pope Francis