IGNORED

Joy & Austin 27 - Joy and Austin lost baby Annabell, TRIGGER WARNING miscarriage and stillbirth

HerNameIsBuffy

I just can't imagine, finding out at 20 weeks the baby's heart had stopped beating,  I feel so badly for them.  No words. 

Edited by allthegoodnamesrgone
I didn't like what I said, so I changed it.
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

10 minutes ago, pugglemama said:

The fact is, mothers who have had a stillbirth are offended when their loss is referred to as a miscarriage. It is tacky and disrespectful to continue to do so. 

I truly don't understand where you are coming from. The pain of losing a baby is the same, miscarriage or not, when it is loved and wanted. There is disagreement about when the early stillbirth period is. Some, not all mothers might be offended, as you are, but others just appreciate the compassion being shown to them. No one is trying to be tacky (?), offend, or disrespect anyone who has suffered a loss, regardless of the terminology they use, this is a good group of humans here. 

I am so sorry for your loss, but perhaps you should step away for a while as this thread seems to be triggering you. 

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 25
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 19

1 minute ago, pugglemama said:

This is very much the place. Calling the loss of Annabell a miscarriage is disrespectful to both baby and mother. I have been there. I have many dear friends I’ve met through support groups who have been there. And every single one of us finds the term miscarriage disrespectful and dismissive of our late term losses. 

You have no idea how Joy chooses to categorize her loss at all. Please stop pushing your experience and your views onto her loss. This is a place to share sympathies, not argue over what the proper term for this horrifying experience is. Would you argue over whether a deceased person died of a blood clot or stroke at a funeral? No. If you can't have respect then walk away.

• Upvote 29
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 4

2 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Don't you think this argument is also a bit tacky and disrespectful?

People gave you sources different to your own and sympathy. You aren't new here. We are always supportive as a community and sympathetic to losses.

Since there are many different definitions out there and we all do agree that this is a sad thing - why are we arguing?

The AMERICAN definition of stillbirth is a loss with no heartbeat at or after 20 weeks. This includes the ACOG and AAP. Period. I’m just asking that you all refer to Joy’s loss respectfully. Referring to her as a miscarriage is wrong and disrespectful. Why is this so difficult?!

• Move Along 27
  • Fuck You 8
  • Downvote 9
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I just can't imagine, this late of a miscarriage, it has to be as painful as a stillbirth.  I feel so badly for them.  No words. 

and when they found it out too only weeks ago she lost her grandma, then she watches all her sisters in law announce it's a girl. and when she goes in for her scan a time that should be happy she finds that yes she's having a girl just like everyone else but the child has passed away. now she has to watch Anna, Kendra and Lauren grow and then seeing them in their arms around the time Annabelle should have been born that has to be crushing. not that I think it would have been easier if she was having a boy and lost him but something about it also being a girl in a sea of new girl grandbabies just adds an extra ache to my heart. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 9
  • I Agree 4

1 minute ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

and when they found it out too only weeks ago she lost her grandma, then she watches all her sisters in law announce it's a girl. and when she goes in for her scan a time that should be happy she finds that yes she's having a girl just like everyone else but the child has passed away. now she has to watch Anna, Kendra and Lauren grow and then seeing them in their arms around the time Annabelle should have been born that has to be crushing. not that I think it would have been easier if she was having a boy and lost him but something about it also being a girl in a sea of new girl grandbabies just adds an extra ache to my heart. 

I keep thinking about how hard it will be once all the babies in her family start being born around that same time. I have no doubt they will conceive again, but that doesn't replace this lost one or lessen that pain for them. So sad.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3

7 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I truly don't understand where you are coming from. The pain of losing a baby is the same, miscarriage or not, when it is loved and wanted. There is disagreement about when the early stillbirth period is. Some, not all mothers might be offended, as you are, but others just appreciate the compassion being shown to them. No one is trying to be tacky (?), offend, or disrespect anyone who has suffered a loss, regardless of the terminology they use, this is a good group of humans here. 

I am so sorry for your loss, but perhaps you should step away for a while as this thread seems to be triggering you. 

The term miscarriage dismisses the significance of a late loss. People hear miscarriage and they assume an early loss of a fetus with no form. The “ball of cells”. Ive heard of stillbirths all the way up to 40 weeks referred to as miscarriages. It discounts the magnitude of the loss of a fully formed baby who still has to be delivered. 

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 18
  • Fuck You 3
  • Downvote 12
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, fundieundies said:

And every single one of us finds the term miscarriage disrespectful and dismissive of our late term losses. 

Not a fundiesundies quote, but pugglemama.

Twenty weeks would be considered an early stillbirth, not late term. But what difference does it make? Absolutely no one is being disrespectful or dismissive of anyone. Actually, it is disrespectful and dismissive to imply that those who suffered miscarriages had less of a loss than those who suffered stillbirths. It's not the suffering olympics! Members on this board have describe their pain after having miscarriages. I don't get the hostility. 

• Upvote 43
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

Just now, Kayleigh83 said:

I keep thinking about how hard it will be once all the babies in her family start being born around that same time. I have no doubt they will conceive again, but that doesn't replace this lost one or lessen that pain for them. So sad.

If I was in Joy's shoes I would be terrified of getting pregnant again. I honestly don't think I could handle the worry that another late loss would happen. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, pugglemama said:

The AMERICAN definition of stillbirth is a loss with no heartbeat at or after 20 weeks. This includes the ACOG and AAP. Period. I’m just asking that you all refer to Joy’s loss respectfully. Referring to her as a miscarriage is wrong and disrespectful. Why is this so difficult?!

It’s been 4 pages. You made your point. Every post I’ve seen SINCE your point (except the ones specifically addressing terminology, including sources) has expressed sympathy for Joy and either just referred to it as a loss, a lost pregnancy, a lost daughter, a tragedy, or a stillbirth. If there’d been 4 more pages of people totally ignoring you and saying “oh how sad, Joy had a miscarriage just like Lauren”, maybe I could understand continuing to argue. But at this point you don’t stand to gain anything so I’m not sure what you want.

• Upvote 31
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 5

This is absolutely one of the most insane derailments I have ever seen. Guys, we need to bite our fingers and stop ourselves.

• Upvote 28
  • I Agree 15
  • Thank You 3

Just now, Ivycoveredtower said:

If I was in Joy's shoes I would be terrified of getting pregnant again. I honestly don't think I could handle the worry that another late loss would happen. 

Pregnancy after loss is indeed terrifying. However, the chances of the same thing happening is low, especially at her age. I made friends with a lot of moms who lost babies around the time I lost my daughter and out of 15 or so of us pregnant again together, only one had another loss. 

• Upvote 8

I never thought this would be the kind of discussion where I had to use the ignore user feature. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 4

1 minute ago, Smee said:

It’s been 4 pages. You made your point. Every post I’ve seen SINCE your point (except the ones specifically addressing terminology, including sources) has expressed sympathy for Joy and either just referred to it as a loss, a lost pregnancy, a lost daughter, a tragedy, or a stillbirth. If there’d been 4 more pages of people totally ignoring you and saying “oh how sad, Joy had a miscarriage just like Lauren”, maybe I could understand continuing to argue. But at this point you don’t stand to gain anything so I’m not sure what you want.

You’re being willfully ignorant to the use of terminology. I get that you all hate the Duggars but you could be a little less asshole-ish by listening and using the correct terminology. 

• Move Along 12
  • Fuck You 11
  • Downvote 28
  • Bless Your Heart 4
  • WTF 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, pugglemama said:

Because you are being pedantic and controlling, that's why. Nobody here is disrespecting Joy's loss, period. American definition, whatever, it's still not the only definition. Why is this so important to you? Where do you get off calling other members wrong? We disagree all the time around here, but steamrolling isn't appreciated. 

• Upvote 40
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

Just now, SilverBeach said:

Because you are being pedantic and controlling, that's why. Nobody here is disrespecting Joy's loss, period. American definition, whatever, it's still not the only definition. Why is this so important to you? Where do you get off calling other members wrong? We disagree all the time around here, but steamrolling isn't appreciated. 

It’s important to me because I’ve been part of the baby loss world for ten years. I’ve seen the affect on mom’s whose losses have been disrespected and dismissed. The term miscarriage is dismissive. Babies delivered without a heartbeat at or after 20 weeks are stillborn. I don’t understand why this simple fact can’t be respected and uses appropriately. 

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 14
  • Fuck You 2
  • Downvote 11
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, TeaGrannie said:

I never thought this would be the kind of discussion where I had to use the ignore user feature. 

Never a dull moment at FJ.

• Upvote 16
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pugglemama said:

You’re being willfully ignorant to the use of terminology. I get that you all hate the Duggars but you could be a little less asshole-ish by listening and using the correct terminology. 

STOP! JUST STOP!  It is completely irrelevant to this horrific event, she lost her baby,  the rest is minutia, I'm sorry for your loss, but you really need to step away, we all understand what you are trying to say, now you need to understand what we are saying.  The terminology isn't important to the fact that a WANTED child was lost, the hows and why are irrelevant to the facts. 

• Upvote 40
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

2 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I am going to go out on a long limb here, but based on their religious beliefs and their ideas with regards to birth control, this experience will be viewed within the lenses of a struggle, placed by God and a promise of rejoining, for eternity, in heaven. Most of us plan and prepare for a very limited number if children, due to various reasons. While I am sure they are heartbroken and beyond sad at this turn of events, for all that we know there will be nothing stopping them from conceiving again quite readily. They just approach life, death, living and family planning much differently than most. I can’t believe several of her sisters have continued to post happy photos of their children and babies on IG ( including today)this past week. Most of us would  have shut that down for a spell.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, pugglemama said:

The term miscarriage dismisses the significance of a late loss. People hear miscarriage and they assume an early loss of a fetus with no form. The “ball of cells”. Ive heard of stillbirths all the way up to 40 weeks referred to as miscarriages. It discounts the magnitude of the loss of a fully formed baby who still has to be delivered. 

All people don't assume this. Besides, some women love their ball of cells  (I did) and find a loss at whatever point to be devastating. You don't know the magnitude of the loss of  those who have had miscarriages, you aren't them!  Again, not the suffering olympics, it is all very sad and painful. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

13 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I thought the same thing, imagine the anxiety she will feel the next pregnancy leading up to the ultrasound. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic