IGNORED

Dillards 74: The Dill in the Pickle

samurai_sarah

3 hours ago, pippi said:

I have a confession I've been holding onto. 

Ready?

I got curious and made and tried the BBQ tuna. 

I'm judging me, too. 

As you're brave enough to admit it, I will also join you by saying I too made this horror, this crime against food! I also made it for my husband and I didn't tell him what it was ahaha! He didn't like it either lol

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

As you're brave enough to admit it, I will also join you by saying I too made this horror, this crime against food! I also made it for my husband and I didn't tell him what it was ahaha! He didn't like it either lol

I AM NOT ALONE! HURRAY! I'm honestly a little concerned that my partner and I both liked it all right; we like to think we have generally good taste. 

I also ran the recipe by my mother--who has no idea who the Duggars are, is an excellent cook, and jumped on the healthy/farm-to-table type bandwagon back in the 90s--before doing it, and she was like "I don't see why that wouldn't work." Clearly there is something wrong with all three of us. 

In other news, googling indicates that it was a weight watchers recipe back in the 70's or 80's. Didn't Michelle go to weight watchers and make JB come for a bit? Suuuuure that you definitely made that one up, Jim Bob? 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think JB might have had a hand in this.

I had the sweet & spicy, and it was actually good. 

Wow, he's really getting involved over there at Starkist http://starkistfoodservice.com/recipes/barbecue-tuna-wraps

First they lure you in with the BBQ tuna.  Next, you'll be making tater tot casserole, buying used and saving the difference, and before you know it, you'll be building a prayer closet in your home and making yourself joyfully and constantly  available for sweet fellowship . . . It is a slippery slope, my friends.  You have been warned.

15 minutes ago, pippi said:

I AM NOT ALONE! HURRAY! I'm honestly a little concerned that my partner and I both liked it all right; we like to think we have generally good taste. 

I also ran the recipe by my mother--who has no idea who the Duggars are, is an excellent cook, and jumped on the healthy/farm-to-table type bandwagon back in the 90s--before doing it, and she was like "I don't see why that wouldn't work." Clearly there is something wrong with all three of us. 

In other news, googling indicates that it was a weight watchers recipe back in the 70's or 80's. Didn't Michelle go to weight watchers and make JB come for a bit? Suuuuure that you definitely made that one up, Jim Bob? 

Wow, he's really getting involved over there at Starkist http://starkistfoodservice.com/recipes/barbecue-tuna-wraps

It really can't be much different than the flavored tunas that are out. The sweet and spicy is like barbecue sauce. 

I made their recipe for tuna noodle casserole. It’s pretty good, if you’re in the mood for cheap, bland comfort food. Of course it’s something lots of other people make too.

Look, no judgement here. Jessa's Old Navy swing dress led me to check out the store and find a bunch of affordable dresses I actually liked for once, including the blue one she has (except I got it in regular length because I'm a jezebel).

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:04 AM, Screamapillar said:

Kids will use the potty when they are ready for it, and not a minute before. 

Truth!

5 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

I helped potty train many kids working with toddlers. I've seen kids who have underwear under their diapers/pull ups or with one of those plastic underwear things over to decrease the mess of potty training, that method seems to be pretty good. I also have seen a couple kids basically potty train themselves because they see their peers doing it. On the rare occasion that that works it is GREAT. no mess, no hassle, they see others do it (not actually watching, but see them go into the stall and know they dont have a diaper change) and want to do the same, once they're dry for a few days let them try underwear. Of course most kids won't do that, but that is my absolute favorite when it works. Staying on the toilet until they go (then hearing about it being THE BEST THING EVER when they do go) works for a lot of kids, but you have to make it pleasant for them. Videos on the iPad, games, etc. Jill's advice was pretty close to what I'd recommend.

I was one who got lucky with my son who did the bolded.  I enrolled him in preschool when he turned 3 and he was still wearing diapers (he never did want to wear pull ups).  At the time, the administrator told me that he would probably see other kids in his group using the toilet and want to be like them.  She was right.  One week-end he told me he didn't want to wear diapers anymore and wanted to wear big boy underwear.  So I said okay, and was fully prepared to clean up accidents.  He had a couple of accidents at school - mostly from being too busy playing and having fun to listen to his body, and I prepared for that by sending along dry underwear and another pair of pants.  But it happened only twice, and he was able to sleep through the night with no bed wetting. 

This was after trying to encourage him various times once he turned two, to use the potty.  While he would happily sit on the toilet seat for a while, he just wasn't ready to change from diapers until that week-end when he was completely ready. 

@pippi I made it the way JB showed it, tinned tuna and bbq sauce, did you do the same or add anything else? I reckon maybe fancying it up might make it...more palatable?! or we just have superior taste in food ?. My sis used to make a tinned tuna curry years ago, and that was really nice but she can't remember the recipe 

5 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

I helped potty train many kids working with toddlers. I've seen kids who have underwear under their diapers/pull ups or with one of those plastic underwear things over to decrease the mess of potty training, that method seems to be pretty good. I also have seen a couple kids basically potty train themselves because they see their peers doing it. On the rare occasion that that works it is GREAT. no mess, no hassle, they see others do it (not actually watching, but see them go into the stall and know they dont have a diaper change) and want to do the same, once they're dry for a few days let them try underwear. Of course most kids won't do that, but that is my absolute favorite when it works. Staying on the toilet until they go (then hearing about it being THE BEST THING EVER when they do go) works for a lot of kids, but you have to make it pleasant for them. Videos on the iPad, games, etc. Jill's advice was pretty close to what I'd recommend.

I was one of theose self-training kids. I went to a small in-home day care, and was the youngest kid out of the 5-6 who were there every day. At some point, I started picking up a clean diaper, handing it to the babysitter, then I would walk away, do my business, and come back to request a diaper change. The babysitter told my mom it was time to potty train, and I was all set by the end of the week.

6 hours ago, pippi said:

Yours is way less gross, but I appreciate the solidarity. 

In my defense, I did some googling first and discovered that it was a thing before and outside of the Duggars (despite JB's certainty that he "invented" it). It honestly was not bad. 

What am I saying? It's indefensible. 

(Edit: Removing my asking how the products were because you say IN THE POST I QUOTED that you liked them...doy)

There is a BBQ restaurant in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina (Outer Banks) that sells BBQ tuna. They use fresh tuna, smoke the fish, flake the meat, then sauce. I havent’t tried it, but it’s been on their menu for many years, so it must sell well enough.

2 hours ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

@pippi I made it the way JB showed it, tinned tuna and bbq sauce, did you do the same or add anything else? I reckon maybe fancying it up might make it...more palatable?! or we just have superior taste in food ?. My sis used to make a tinned tuna curry years ago, and that was really nice but she can't remember the recipe 

Mr. and I both put curry powder in tuna salad and it is quite delicious. I would not recommend feeding it to your cat.  Mr. OneCat got into it once and shall we say un-ate it on my husband’s side of the bed.  

4 hours ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

Tinned tuna and BBQ sauce plus some chopped onion, celery, and carrot, and a little lemon juice, I think. Added a little crunch and a little acid, basically. Curry sounds intriguing because I really liked curry chicken salad back when I used to eat it. I only started eating fish slowly over the last few years after a decade of vegetarianism, and never really ate it much as a kid, so I've been trying a lot out!

Tuna. Rice. Curry powder. White sauce and mix. My grandmothers much loved curried rice and tuna! Hot or cold. My kid hates it. Calls tuna, cat food LOL 

9 hours ago, pippi said:

Tinned tuna and BBQ sauce plus some chopped onion, celery, and carrot, and a little lemon juice, I think. Added a little crunch and a little acid, basically. Curry sounds intriguing because I really liked curry chicken salad back when I used to eat it. I only started eating fish slowly over the last few years after a decade of vegetarianism, and never really ate it much as a kid, so I've been trying a lot out!

Your way of doing the bbq tuna sounds much better! I'm seeing the sister shortly so I'll see if I can get any more info on the curry for you. It was back in the early '90's when I last tried it but I do remember how good it was. I'm definitely an omnivore but I like to experiment with different cuisines, I will make vegan or veggie food just to make it less monotonous, like tonight I'm making Singapore noodles with tofu! The husband lives in fear of what I make, he asks "is this real meat or coconut meat"? ?  

4 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

Tuna. Rice. Curry powder. White sauce and mix. My grandmothers much loved curried rice and tuna! Hot or cold. My kid hates it. Calls tuna, cat food LOL 

Tuna=cat food. OMG, I can’t unsee or unsmell it. I may never eat tuna again.

19 hours ago, mpheels said:

I was one of theose self-training kids. I went to a small in-home day care, and was the youngest kid out of the 5-6 who were there every day. At some point, I started picking up a clean diaper, handing it to the babysitter, then I would walk away, do my business, and come back to request a diaper change. The babysitter told my mom it was time to potty train, and I was all set by the end of the week.

There is a BBQ restaurant in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina (Outer Banks) that sells BBQ tuna. They use fresh tuna, smoke the fish, flake the meat, then sauce. I havent’t tried it, but it’s been on their menu for many years, so it must sell well enough.

that sounds good. 

20 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Look, no judgement here. Jessa's Old Navy swing dress led me to check out the store and find a bunch of affordable dresses I actually liked for once, including the blue one she has (except I got it in regular length because I'm a jezebel).

I ordered dresses from an online shop that came to my attention because Jill Rodrigues of all people follows them on instagram.  They are amazing dresses, and I love them to bits!  But man, it was a RISK ordering dresses from a shop endorsed by a woman who dresses her daughters up like saloon girls for a vow renewal.  

23 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

First they lure you in with the BBQ tuna.  Next, you'll be making tater tot casserole, buying used and saving the difference, and before you know it, you'll be building a prayer closet in your home and making yourself joyfully and constantly  available for sweet fellowship . . . It is a slippery slope, my friends.  You have been warned.

Never made the tuna, I jumped straight to TTC. I just got so curious what it would taste like I couldn't help myself.

Where I'm from, I've never seen it done or even mentioned. Also we don't have any canned cream of  anything soups.  I ended up making  cream of chicken soup from scratch ? for the recipe.

My kids love this, they always request it and tell everywhere  it's their favourite food and people are like what are you talking about...? We even made up a name for  it in our own language because there's no word for it.  

On 3/27/2019 at 3:57 PM, Satan'sFortress said:

Are you trying to tell me BBQ tuna is the gate way food?

I like BBQ sauce, but can't do tuna. Just the smell of canned tuna makes me queasy. I've never developed a taste for fish. My dad likes it, but my mom can't even walk past a fish market without feeling ill. Since moving to the west coast, I've sampled stuff that's fresh and regional in order to expand my pallet. I'm not at a stage where I'll buy/cook it for myself, but I can actually stomach fresh fish.

The only Duggar recipe I've tried was Tater Tot Casserole. It was OK. I used ground turkey and added fresh herbs. Still, if it's comfort food I want there are other recipes I'd rather make.

Mostly I like tuna raw or just the edges charred. I like it as sashimi or in ceviche, carpaccio, poke, etc. But I do buy canned solid tuna packed in olive oil, and sometimes I have that for lunch with a little onion powder and celery salt. I will confess the idea of baking it with a lot of things mixed into it sounds sort of overwhelmingly unappetizing. I have a hard time with many textures mixed together with meat and I like for cheese to just be cheese, though I like it with a baked bread or egg dish.

Does that sound overly fussy? I do like lots of different cuisines. But I don't think I could enjoy eating at Jill's house.

13 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

Does that sound overly fussy? I do like lots of different cuisines. But I don't think I could enjoy eating at Jill's house.

You remind me of Niles and Frazier Crane... not in a bad way, just a fussy way

Heeehee, I can accept that. 

I would be polite! Just...I'm glad I don't have to. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived