IGNORED

Lori Alexander: 63: Teacher of Foolishness

12 hours ago, Briefly said:

By the way, FJ family, I made bread in my bread machine this morning.  I tossed the ingredients in (not Einkhorn flour!), pushed the button and then told Mr. Briefly what time it should be ready.  We might have it with butter, but not $14.00 butter.

I love my bread machine!  It's a new one, because the old one walked off the counter and landed on the floor...we don't know exactly how it happened because no one was in the kitchen, including the cats, so we can't blame it on them.  My husband asked if I wanted him to get me one for Valentine's Day, since it happened just before.  I know, kitchen appliances aren't usually a great holiday gift, but this was an exception.  :)  I've started using it every weekend, but I don't usually bake the bread in the machine, I use the dough cycle, put it in bread pans, then bake in the oven.  That's just my way, to each his/her own!  

And on today's topic in LoriLand, The (Un)Godly Mentor quotes 'Christian moms are running to these blogs, social groups, Facebook pages, etc. when they should be running to their husbands, pastors, and older women at church.'  So why isn't she sending the women who come to her blog, social groups, and FB pages back home to their husbands, pastors, and older women?  She's quoting someone else today, but adds at the end 'there were no wise older women in the churches that I attended when I was a young mother who were mentoring the younger women, sadly.' Sorry, Lori, but that excuse doesn't work.  I bet there were some wise older women, just not women who would say what you wanted to hear.  You reject anything that disagrees with your microscopic worldview.  So how exactly are you any better than the 'Jezebels' who take advice from someone else?  

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today, on The Cognitive Dissonance Hour, hosted by Lori Alexander:

These Christian “mommy blogs” are having an enormous influence in the American Evangelical Church and I think they’ve done more harm than good to be honest. Christian moms are running to these blogs, social groups, Facebook pages, etc. when they should be running to their husbands, pastors, and older women at church.

First response:

Don't you consider yourself to be a blogger of sorts?

Lori:

I don't consider my blog to be a typical "mommy blog." The purpose of my blog is to teach younger women biblical womanhood as instructed by God in Titus 2:3-5, but please measure everything that I write by the Word of God.

Second response (by a MAN!):

A mommy blog about the dangers of mommy blogs, oh the irony.

Third respone (it's a long one):

Here's the thing that's missing in a lot of these conversations/posts. Ok, maybe two things. One, it is negativity, pulling down other people. Two, none of us know what God has directed these women to do. We don't know conversations between husband and wife, we don't know what is going on behind the scenes. We do not know. 

It's one thing to call people out on specific behavior, and I do agree that some blogs/pages/web sites run by men and women are feel good Christianity, not pure Bible. 

However, the Bible never said we are only to learn from our husbands or older women (ironically, some of these women bloggers are older.) This just looks messy and petty.

Lori:

In almost every single one of the NT books in the Bible, we are warned about false teachers. Many "mommy bloggers" are false teachers since what they teach isn't lined up with the Word of God. I believe women are more easily deceived as Eve was and need to be warned about this just as God's Word warns us continually.

She's tone-deaf, I swear. 

On 3/12/2019 at 1:55 AM, Lgirlrocks said:

I don’t believe for a second that Lori would have more children.

She pretty much admitted in that recent "YOUTUBES" video about breast implants that when they moved to San Diego, "they were done having" children.  She kind of catches herself and stumbles around on the topic saying "well we didn't do anything permanent, we would never do that" to cover herself.  It's only later that she conveniently adds the excuse that she got "so sick" and would have had more if she could, but couldn't.  Boo Hoo!    She has a hard time keeping her stories lies straight. 

17 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

She pretty much admitted in that recent "YOUTUBES" video about breast implants that when they moved to San Diego, "they were done having" children.  It's only later that she conveniently adds the excuse that she got "so sick" and would have had more if she could, but couldn't.  Boo Hoo!    She has a hard time keeping her stories lies straight. 

Didn't she had her children before quiverfull was a widely known thing? And didn't she discovered her biblical womanhood and Debbie Pearl in her late 30's? Maybe a cheat sheat would be helpfull

I've been to a great number of churches and at every one, EVERY  ONE - from the fundie to the liberal -  there have been "godly older women" who were more than happy to help out younger women with advice, babysitting, Bible study, personal issues, etc. I know this because I've always gravitated to them, not having a mom to go to for support. I can name several at each church and have warm feelings toward all of them, even the ones I no longer agree with much. They are still kind, helpful, non-judgy..... Oh! There it is! Lori doesn't think the actual godly older women are mean enough. That's why she thinks they don't exist. 

3 hours ago, klein_roeschen said:

Didn't she had her children before quiverfull was a widely known thing? And didn't she discovered her biblical womanhood and Debbie Pearl in her late 30's? Maybe a cheat sheat would be helpfull

That sounds about right, BUT she claims that if you don’t do everything as she commands (which is different from what she herself did), terrible results will happen! Divorce, disaster, wayward children! Yet, she also claims she has a perfect family.

So why can’t others do it “wrong” and also have perfect families??

Why can’t another mom use illness as a reason to limit her family size, for example?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Lori decided to "have as many as God would give them" in her mid-40s at earliest, so it wasn't really a fraught decision at that point. 

20 minutes ago, Petronella said:

Why can’t another mom use illness as a reason to limit her family size, for example?

Same reason other moms can't send their kids to schools (like Lori), use birth control (like Lori), drink wine (like Lori), etc.

Lori's a hypocrite.

She's so non-self-aware I've sometimes wondered if she is in fact totally aware, and just enjoys tormenting people. Like a super-villain, but too lazy to go out and cause trouble, so she does it online from home. Maybe she really is anti-God, and figured this was the easiest way to push people away from church?

2 hours ago, Petronella said:

The more I think of this, the more I call bullshit on Lori.  How many posts has she made about the evils of birth control, have a ton of kids, etc...Where a reader will say something like " we have X number of kids right now,  have been advised by our doctor not to have any more because of serious medical condition (risk of ruptured uterus, preemclampsia or another life threatening condition) " and Lori guilts them by saying "don't you trust God?" or "we are not to worry about what ifs" (like what if the woman dies in child birth??)

No -- Lori pretty much straight up tells those women they are wrong and don't trust God enough and are wrong for not wanting/having more children.  But she can claim neck and back pain and some kind of nondescript parasites  (the benign pituitary tumor was not in her prime reproductive years if I recall) as exemptions for herself.  

Such a hypocrite. 

No self awareness whatsoever. So because she couldn't get on FB, she had to get on her "YOUTUBES" to tell other women not to waste time on Facebook.  

33 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

The more I think of this, the more I call bullshit on Lori.  How many posts has she made about the evils of birth control, have a ton of kids, etc...Where a reader will say something like " we have X number of kids right now,  have been advised by our doctor to have any more because of serious medical condition (risk of ruptured uterus, preemclampsia or another life threatening condition) " and Lori guilts them by saying "don't you trust God?" or "we are not to worry about what ifs" (like what if the woman dies in child birth??)

No -- Lori pretty much straight up tells those women they are wrong and don't trust God enough and are wrong for not wanting/having more children.  But she can claim neck and back pain and some kind of nondescript parasites  (the benign pituitary tumor was not in her prime reproductive years if I recall) as exemptions for herself.  

Such a hypocrite. 

I absolutely agree.  She calls legitimate reasons from her followers not to have more children excuses, but excuses herself by claiming poor health. 

Two words for you Lori, since we've seen evidence that you read here.  Bull. Shit.  By your own rules you just didn't trust your god enough, and were too selfish to risk your comfort for the only callings you allow for women, reproduction and slavery to men.   

Her advice is just idiotic. A MALE PASTOR is not going to understand the intricacies of "wimmn's work" and be able to help you plan meal prep, grocery lists, nap schedules, homeschool materials, children's games, kid's fashion, illness remedies, budgeting, home decor, laundry solutions, aka all the stuff that "mommy blogs" post about. If your husband is gone all day providing for the family, he won't have any practical experience (or interest probably) with making these decisions for you. 

A godly older women can help, but only so much, as she had her children at least 10-15 years before! Homeschool materials have changed, areas around the city to take the kids have changed, there are new games and crafts invented, new stores/kids' fashions, nutrition information, etc. 

And if you're stuck in the house because you can only afford one car and the husband has it, or you have eleventy kids to watch, you can't be meeting with women (older or otherwise) face to face whenever you have a question about these topics! The blogs are a way to long distance communicate, brainstorm, and find out what other women around you are doing to face common problems at home and with children. 

44 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

No self awareness whatsoever. So because she couldn't get on FB, she had to get on her "YOUTUBES" to tell other women not to waste time on Facebook.  

Hold the phone. Quite recently Lori railed about Hallmark being evil and here she says she watched a Hallmark movie.

Second, this video was quite revealing. Lori stated that she is learning to love hospitality. In other words, she doesn't even like her own family being around. She must be a real treasure to visit.

Third, and this is totally BEC, what is wrong with her hair? Nutrient deficient springs to mind for me.

If she didn’t blog what would she do all day? It appears she has no hobbies or interests except scouring the Internet to find posts that might go viral.

We can now add $28/pound organic elderberries to her grocery brag list. Everyone was sick except her because she took her magic potion. She must not have shared it with the others. It would be like her to watch them suffer.

1 hour ago, wallysmommy said:

If she didn’t blog what would she do all day? It appears she has no hobbies or interests except scouring the Internet to find posts that might go viral.

We can now add $28/pound organic elderberries to her grocery brag list. Everyone was sick except her because she took her magic potion. She must not have shared it with the others. It would be like her to watch them suffer.

I use those elderberries but they've lasted me two years and counting so far, lol. 

5 hours ago, Evangeline said:

I've been to a great number of churches and at every one, EVERY  ONE - from the fundie to the liberal -  there have been "godly older women" who were more than happy to help out younger women with advice, babysitting, Bible study, personal issues, etc. I know this because I've always gravitated to them, not having a mom to go to for support. I can name several at each church and have warm feelings toward all of them, even the ones I no longer agree with much. They are still kind, helpful, non-judgy..... Oh! There it is! Lori doesn't think the actual godly older women are mean enough. That's why she thinks they don't exist. 

This might be a little dumb but until your comment I've never really given much thought to the "godly older woman" beyond Lori's meaning and use of the phrase. To me, Lori's meaning is aligned with older busybody types that no one likes. The kind of woman who bakes you a dry banana bread when your sick, not because she cares but because she needs a prop to pry her way in and get the gossip. It never occured to me that there are older women who are actually guiding young Christian women.

I call absolute bull shit on Lori as well. Having grown up in conservative churches and attended relatively conservative Christian colleges. A Southetn Baptist one for undergrad to be precise. There are gaggles of older women teaching younger women and building relationships. And while it might not be the depths she goes to submission to husband is a widely taught passage. I can guarantee she was surrounded by older women who showed her how to love her neighbor and love God; a summary of the entire commandments. I was also well aware, at least vaguely, about the submission portion from a young age although my parents never bothered much with it. So if I was aware of these things as a child in this sinful modern age I'm pretty sure she was aware as a young adult. 

I think it makes me mad because she's not taking responsibility so much as blaming women who probably loved on her when she was young. Of course, some church people can obviously be horrible but these people probably treated her pretty well and this is how she repays them? Take responsibility for your own foul behavior because it's you Loro who made the choice to ignore a basic tenant in the Christian faith: love your neighbor I.e the man you are married to. 

Gah end rant but I felt the need to stand up for the kind church ladies because I've met some wonderful, entirely sweet church women who taught me a lot. 

I need a bottle of roscato, a cheesecake and a giant oyster po boy to read her latest doodle on gluttony. 

6 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

I call absolute bull shit on Lori as well. Having grown up in conservative churches and attended relatively conservative Christian colleges. A Southetn Baptist one for undergrad to be precise. There are gaggles of older women teaching younger women and building relationships. And while it might not be the depths she goes to submission to husband is a widely taught passage. I can guarantee she was surrounded by older women who showed her how to love her neighbor and love God; a summary of the entire commandments. 

I agree. My own grandma was the most Godly women I ever knew. She never said an unkind word about anyone and would chew your a$$ if you gossiped around her.  She was a true prayer warrior who could pray down Heaven. If she prayed for your need, you could know God was gonna work.

There were several other older ladies in the church as well. I remember the funniest marriage advice I got from one of them (she was in her 90's,). She told me, "Don't have too many headaches".  

For a period in the 2000s-2010s, two of the most Godly women at my church were the pastors(we had 2 consecutive female priests).

1 hour ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

There were several other older ladies in the church as well. I remember the funniest marriage advice I got from one of them (she was in her 90's,). She told me, "Don't have too many headaches".  

Well, I’m sure it’s a fond memory for you because of context and relationship, but the advice itself is just a folksy version of Lori’s bullshit. It means “give your husband frequent sex” and contains a lot of damaging assumptions about gender roles and a non-mutual view of sex. I guess you could argue that it’s just advice to enjoy the heck out of sex frequently, but the headache trope is definitely, definitely a “women are always trying to avoid sex and have to be coerced to hand it over” thing. Not a fan.

I just saw some guy who commented (favorably) on Lori’s Insta being followed by Steven Anderson aka PPP aka ZZ’s husband. Birds of a feather... 

A FB friend posted this little gem today.  How many of these characteristics apply to Lori?  

54350193_2639083442774820_4938161248693911552_n.jpg

On 3/13/2019 at 8:29 AM, EowynW said:

I have a brand new bread machine but now both of us have to be gluten free so I haven't been able to use it. ?

I'm not experienced with either gluten-free baking or using a bread machine, but when I did a quick search, lots of different gluten-free recipes for bread machines popped up. Is it that the ingredients end up being more expensive than for ordinary wheat flour bread? In any case, I'm sorry you haven't gotten to use your new bread machine yet. :tw_bread:

17 hours ago, SuperNova said:

This might be a little dumb but until your comment I've never really given much thought to the "godly older woman" beyond Lori's meaning and use of the phrase. To me, Lori's meaning is aligned with older busybody types that no one likes. The kind of woman who bakes you a dry banana bread when your sick, not because she cares but because she needs a prop to pry her way in and get the gossip. It never occured to me that there are older women who are actually guiding young Christian women.

There really are! To me, they represent the very best of what a church community can be - the older lovingly guiding and supporting the younger. Lori, on the other hand, represents the worst of what church can be - people who have no real interest in Jesus or making the world a better place, who just use church to try to kick people when they're down. The godly older women of whom I speak are like warm campfires. They don't have to seek out people to mentor. They don't need to push their advice on people. They just shine and people are drawn to them. Lori has to shove herself and her views on others because nobody seeks her out, and nobody wants what she's selling, except, unfortunately, the very insecure and fellow busybodies. She knows happy and secure people want nothing to do with her, so she claims it's because they're ungodly. No, Lori. Everyone wanted to be near  Jesus. He couldn't eat, sleep, preach, or travel without crowds. Lori is a cold, lonely shrew, who only has what she takes by force or guilt. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived