IGNORED

Lori Alexander: 63: Teacher of Foolishness

6 hours ago, klein_roeschen said:

@Hane in a pharmacy I worked a few years back there was a costumer who got either shingles or herpes and it spread into her eye and damaged the optical nerve to near blindness permanently.

I had chicken pox as a small child and while I don't remembe it, I fear that I get shingles one day. If you are really unlucky shingles can damage your nerves that way that it leaves you in chronic pain nonresponsive of most pain meds :(

I had chicken pox over my birthday, I think it was my 5th but I'm not positive.  My birthday is right after Christmas so I didn't miss any school.  But I do remember being very sick and not wanting to eat. My dad sat down beside me with a bowl of chicken noodle soup and pretended he didn't want me to eat all his soup, which of course worked and I ate most of it.  Which is now a really good memory of time with me dad, but at the time I just thought I was eating his soup.  My daughter got the chicken pox when she was about a year and a half.  The vaccine didn't come out till a few years later.  I was still home with her, so I didn't have to miss work but she was sick for several days.  She  basically just wore a diaper and had several aveeno baths, and when she was really bored and not feeling so good I made a game out of dabbing calamine lotion on her pox spots.

My mom had shingles and it was really rough on her. I really hope it's not in my future.  I need to look into the shot, my sister checked a few years ago and there was a minimum age for the shingles vaccine but I think that may have changed.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had chicken pox when I was 12 yo.  I have marks from where the bumps came off.  Most noticeable are the ones on my face (3 spots by my hairline and one by my right eyelid).  Pink calamine lotion. My dad had shingles a couple years before he passed away.  Not fun. 

I'm happy that there's a chicken pox vaccine. 

Just thinking out loud. About Lori attracting racists to her site. Would she do something if her brand of stupid caused Ken's business/her meal ticket to lose money?  I also am thinking about the one commenter who suggested a while back that he hopes that the kids who hate her end up taking care of her. I think that she has pissed off her family quite a bit, and that the rosy smiling picture of her kids, that she portrays is not what is reality. 

I don’t have any kids. I am not yet married. But I don’t understand a wife serving her husband before the kids. At any family even kids eat first. Mom, dad, or an older person (teenager plus), makes a plate for the younger kids and anyone who can’t make their own plate. This was my grandma when she was alive because she walked with a walker. Then adults all serve themselves. My parents always served everyone at once unless it was placed on the table then we passed the food around. 

When kids are too young to take care of themselves shouldn’t they be taken care of before the spouse? And why do wives need to serve their husbands? I get being nice and all but most men don’t want that. 

8 minutes ago, livinglongerthanyou said:

Ken has lamely suggested that Lori can't police all the comments which, of course, is laughable.

But she has plenty of time to delete questions and ban women, sometimes within minutes. 

Chicken pox -- I don't recall having the chicken pox, but I know I stayed home and took care of my brother when he had them so my mom could go to work (blasphemer that she was).  I also cared for my niece when she had them when she was 5 (for her 5th birthday, poor baby).  She even had them on the soles of her feet.  We were talking about this not long ago, and she doesn't remember any of it.

Serving your husband -- My grandmother served everyone because her kitchen was so small no one could move around.  She usually served straight from the stove -- my grandpa, uncle, and us kids.  The joys of living in a small 9th ward shotgun house in New Orleans.  

I had chicken pox over my 14th birthday. My case wasn't too horrible, except that my mom was on bedrest from a miscarriage, so I was also cooking/managing the house. I'm sure my dad did the shopping and some dishes.  Good thing they weren't quiverfull. My brother would have been 7, so he could pour cereal, make toast, sandwiches, etc. I remember making spaghetti, pot roast, and hamburger helper for dinners. I do still have a few scars, though.

I also wanted to remind people that polio is not a one time event. Many survivors who recovered with few initial residual effects ended up with post-polio syndrome which often includes progressive muscle weakness, chronic fatigue and respiratory problems like sleep apnea and weakness of their accessory muscles. The number of patients I see with post-polio syndrome have sharply declined in the last 20 years (just anecdotal, but still).

I got chicken pox when I was about six.  I don't remember much about that week, except that my siblings and I all got it within days of each other and my baby sister was less than six months old and miserable.

As an appropriate follow on, I got shingles this past December.  While working 14 hour days two days/nights a week.  Right before moving houses.  I got muscle spasms with mine, which is relatively unusual and puts me at increased risk of a much more severe outbreak in the future and the possibility of varicella neuropathy.  To make life even more exciting for people who get shingles when young, the younger you are when you get an outbreak, the higher your chance of suffering a stroke or heart attack in the six months following the outbreak.  Between getting shingles in December and my husband dying in Feb, I'm on high alert regarding my health.

I will be talking to my MD about booster shots...just in case Mr. Xtian ends up having to have chemo

I had chickenpox when I was 2. I don’t remember it. My cousin had it when he was six months. I remember seeing him at his parents’ joint 40th, asleep in his stroller, covered in calamine lotion. His older brother had it at the same time.

I know the vaccine isn’t common in the U.K., but on another forum I’m part of, I’ve seen people ask about the vaccine for their child and a lot of people reply saying they've vaccinated their child (it’s ostensibly a parenting forum but there are plenty of people on there who don’t have kids). So that’s something. You have to pay for it, though. 

I just googled the shingles vaccine. In the US it’s recommended for those above 60, in the U.K. you’re eligible when you’re 70 and 78. Dunno why just those years. Although you can get it anytime until you’re 80. I have the distinct impression that one of my grandparents had shingles, but I’m not sure. 

I got chicken pox in 1st grade after my sister gave it to me. I don't remember my case being that bad just that I was annoyed that I couldn't go ride my bike with friends. The clinic I work at has had a whooping cough outbreak so they're offering booster shots to employees. 

Someone mentioned the church of Israel or whatever it is. I've seen that before. They believe that the true Jewish race was white and that all the Jewish people now are fake. The white Jews are like a lost tribe or something. It's very bizarre. Lori attracts strange people. 

I did not know that about a higher risk of stroke/heart attack with younger people with shingles! I had a mild shingles outbreak about 2 years ago (on my back, on the bra line- couldn't wear a bra for 3 weeks). Even a mild outbreak was painful!! And my doctor told me that at 35 I was too young for the vaccine. 

8 hours ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

I had chicken pox over my 14th birthday. My case wasn't too horrible, except that my mom was on bedrest from a miscarriage, so I was also cooking/managing the house. I'm sure my dad did the shopping and some dishes.  Good thing they weren't quiverfull. My brother would have been 7, so he could pour cereal, make toast, sandwiches, etc. I remember making spaghetti, pot roast, and hamburger helper for dinners. I do still have a few scars, though.

I also wanted to remind people that polio is not a one time event. Many survivors who recovered with few initial residual effects ended up with post-polio syndrome which often includes progressive muscle weakness, chronic fatigue and respiratory problems like sleep apnea and weakness of their accessory muscles. The number of patients I see with post-polio syndrome have sharply declined in the last 20 years (just anecdotal, but still).

My mom had polio as a child just before the vaccine program was introduced in Sweden. She recovered well and did not have any lasting paralysis but got post-polio syndrome at around 50. She died at 63 from a stroke but the weakness that the post-polio syndrome caused really impacted her life but in what she was able to do physically and how much she was able to do before she got tired. Few people today have seen what polio can do to a person because vaccines do work and prevents this disease. Sweden never used a live polio vaccine and the drop in polio once it was introduced was dramatic. If you scroll down a bit on this link you can see the drop in polio cases in Sweden from when the vaccine was introduced: http://scielo.isciii.es/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0211-95362012000200003

13 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I don’t have any kids. I am not yet married. But I don’t understand a wife serving her husband before the kids. At any family even kids eat first. Mom, dad, or an older person (teenager plus), makes a plate for the younger kids and anyone who can’t make their own plate. This was my grandma when she was alive because she walked with a walker. Then adults all serve themselves. My parents always served everyone at once unless it was placed on the table then we passed the food around. 

When kids are too young to take care of themselves shouldn’t they be taken care of before the spouse?And why do wives need to serve their husbands? I get being nice and all but most men don’t want that. 

Ordinarily, yes, but in the Loriverse, “kids need to learn that the world doesn’t revolve around them, and the sooner the better.”

I had chicken pox when I was 10, and I remember that it kept me from getting a perfect attendance award at school for the third consecutive year.  I still have a scar on my right breast on the edge of the areola.

Today Lori is quoting Nancy Campbell:  'Sometimes the cleavage is bold; in others it is borderline. Not too much, but just a little showing? God’s people should never be borderline! Never compromise!'  Does that mean a deep V neck (bring out the pics, folks!) doesn't count if you're almost or completely flat-chested?  

Just for the record I'm not being critical at all of women who have small, large, or asymmetric breasts, we're all different shapes and sizes, that's cool, just pointing out the kind of legalistic loophole The Godly Mentor might try to claim.  

11 minutes ago, delphinium65 said:

Today Lori is quoting Nancy Campbell:  'Sometimes the cleavage is bold; in others it is borderline. Not too much, but just a little showing?

I think she's throwing shade at Alyssa.  Lori was called out/questioned earlier this week about her inspiring, beautiful, leggings wearing daughter and like that, the post disappeared.  Now that Alyssa is going to be a mommy, Lori has to passive-aggressively reprimand her  for her brazen clothing choices.

that's what I think! LOL  

Just have to share that a mutual acquaintance who is both an MD and immune-compromised stepped in to my aforementioned crunchy mama's ridiculous anti-vaxx thread and SHUT THAT SHIT DOWN WITH THE MOST EPIC MIKE DROP I'VE SEEN.  I shouted out loud YOU GO GIRL!

Carry on. 

RE: chicken pox, I had mine when I was in 3rd or 4th grade I remember getting to stay home in bed and mom giving me warm Dr. Pepper & chicken soup.  I want to say my best friend's mom either sent her over to hang out or we just happened to be around each other when I was contagious bc she had it right after me.  That was encouraged in our community though, the idea of "every kid gets it, the earlier the better" was very prevalent.  Many times in a multiple child household if one kid had pox they didn't quarantine them from the others.  

My mom graduated in the mid-60's and one of her best friends had polio as a child.  She's a little tiny woman because it did a number on her limbs.  From what my mother told me she's very lucky to be able to walk at all.  I agree with what someone said upthread...there's a gap in the generations that have either seen or dealt with the effects of these diseases and those who haven't.  I would like to think people would be more careful if they understood the ramifications of either having something or passing it on to someone who can't fight it off. 

One of her favorite commenters, A Lady of Reason, said she missed the beautiful historical fashions.  In the Elizabethan era, the dresses were low cut, barely covering the nipples.  In the Regency era, it was fashionable to wear sheer dresses that could be seen through.  They know not of what they speak -- as usual.  I find this fixation with cleavage a bit disturbing.  Instead of going to church to be spiritually fed and worship God, they go to see what they can criticize.  

If God was the first clothes designer....why'd he make Adam & Eve nekkid?  

asking for a friend....... :potstir: :martinismiley:

43 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

I think she's throwing shade at Alyssa.  Lori was called out/questioned earlier this week about her inspiring, beautiful, leggings wearing daughter and like that, the post disappeared.  Now that Alyssa is going to be a mommy, Lori has to passive-aggressively reprimand her  for her brazen clothing choices.

that's what I think! LOL  

So she deleted that comment?  I saw it, never got back around to follow up, but I'm not at all surprised that she would remove it.  

Yeah, you're probably right.  Can't have anyone admiring the immodest daughter, can we?  :pb_rollseyes:   I just want to cheer Alyssa on.  Wear what you want, and ignore your shrew mother!  :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl: 

3 hours ago, smittykins said:

Ordinarily, yes, but in the Loriverse, “kids need to learn that the world doesn’t revolve around them revolves around Lori, and the sooner the better.”

Fixed.

ps. She doesn't serve Ken at all.  He fends for himself.

dress.thumb.PNG.fa98b47dca09034205ea8da2e9c7477d.PNG

This is rich, coming from Lori, who films her ministry "youtubes" in her pajamas, looking like she doesn't own a hairbrush:

huh.PNG.3f2c8e7563a739a6c6dbc2f7ab6fd86f.PNG

1 hour ago, wallysmommy said:

One of her favorite commenters, A Lady of Reason, said she missed the beautiful historical fashions.  In the Elizabethan era, the dresses were low cut, barely covering the nipples.  In the Regency era, it was fashionable to wear sheer dresses that could be seen through.  They know not of what they speak -- as usual.  I find this fixation with cleavage a bit disturbing.  Instead of going to church to be spiritually fed and worship God, they go to see what they can criticize.  

Even some of the Victorian dresses were questionable by Lori standards. 

1 hour ago, wallysmommy said:

Hell, they wore makeup on their nipples to make them more noticeable, lol. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived