IGNORED

Bates 26: Do Not Attempt This at Home

Coconut Flan

That dress looks like every T-shirt dress I've ever bought from Old Navy and costs twice as much.

Even if the Bates Sisters Boutique was selling vintage Chanel for $10, I still would not give them my money.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, hollyfeller said:

I feel like I might need to ask for forgiveness, but I just ordered a dress from the Bates Sisters Boutique!

https://batessistersboutique.com/product/the-maddie-green/

It my defense, the color is just so pretty!  I'll show myself out...  :)

Not trying to pile on you, but your posts and the fact that you are okay supporting them, really shows how good they are at sugar coating evil. It is like they can cast a spell even on members here.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2

To be honest i really like the style of the dresses, and would love to find something like that. I have been looking in stores for dresses in that style but at least in my country modest dresses like those  usually have very old person paterns on them and are really frumpy. But i still wouldnt buy them on the batesisterstore just because they all require washing by hand and i dont have time for that. Also just the fact they cant go on the washing machine means they are really poor quality. They arent super expensive but you can definitely find better quality dresses for the same prize.

But if someone doesnt care of the bad quality and still wants the dresses, i have seem similar ones (and i think even some of the same exact ones) on chinese website aliexpress.

Edited by llucie
  • Upvote 8

On 6/6/2019 at 1:09 PM, freethemall said:

But then I'd also put the Duggars in this camp with the whole Jubilee media circus, with photos of them crying at her funeral and pictures of her tiny hands.

That was a media circus and had an anti-choice agenda for sure.

OTOH, the Jubilee photos were very different from Kelly happily taking and posting pictures of dead babies unrelated to her to promote her religious and political agenda.

IIRC the Jubilee pictures were taken pro bono by a photographer from a charity that provides this valuable service to grieving parents.  They take enormous care to be sensitive, respectful, and thoughtful in how they take the pictures and retouch them.  Many grieving parents find them comforting, but they are more for personal use.  I'm not sure how the charity felt about Jubilee's photographs being displayed like that to the general public for political purposes.

I prefer to be warned before seeing a photo of a dead baby, however nice and sensitive the photo may be.  But it is not a new phenomenon at all.  If you are sensitive do not google Victorian postmortem photos, or mourning photography, because some of the poses and photographs are seriously creepy.  

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

@hollyfeller you can find the exact same cheap Chinese dress on amazon. I hope you did not click to them through here. And I am not sure why you thought this would be something to post about on here. All you are doing is putting money in their pockets.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 20

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

That was a media circus and had an anti-choice agenda for sure.

OTOH, the Jubilee photos were very different from Kelly happily taking and posting pictures of dead babies unrelated to her to promote her religious and political agenda.

IIRC the Jubilee pictures were taken pro bono by a photographer from a charity that provides this valuable service to grieving parents.  They take enormous care to be sensitive, respectful, and thoughtful in how they take the pictures and retouch them.  Many grieving parents find them comforting, but they are more for personal use.  I'm not sure how the charity felt about Jubilee's photographs being displayed like that to the general public for political purposes.

I prefer to be warned before seeing a photo of a dead baby, however nice and sensitive the photo may be.  But it is not a new phenomenon at all.  If you are sensitive do not google Victorian postmortem photos, or mourning photography, because some of the poses and photographs are seriously creepy.  

The charity was likely Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep (warning: that contains a link to the charity’s website and photos might be visible.) I’m pretty sure that was the charity I thought about donating my wedding dress to - they (or another charity that dies something similar) use the fabric to make lovely gowns and outfits for babies that have died, so parents can have nice photos to remember the by. They weren’t accepting donations at the time so I donated it to Brides Across America instead (they help military couples with their weddings.)

• Upvote 5

@VelociRapture, yes that is the right charity.  I deliberately didn't name it because many dead baby pictures, and I'm not sure they liked what the Duggars did and want to be associated with them again.  

And, yes, the last time I looked they were refusing wedding dresses because they had so many donated they had run out of space to store them.  Brides Across America is a good alternative.  :)

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, hollyfeller said:

I feel like I might need to ask for forgiveness, but I just ordered a dress from the Bates Sisters Boutique!

https://batessistersboutique.com/product/the-maddie-green/

It my defense, the color is just so pretty!  I'll show myself out...  :)

I don’t even know what to say. Why on earth would you support them? Buying from them means you’re financially supporting people who want to have total control over the bodies of every woman in the country, who believe a newly fertilized egg takes precedence over a fully grown woman’s right to life and good health, and who couldn't give a shit about you unless you’re a white, cis, Hetero, Protestant Christian. And why on earth would you feel the need to share that here? Do you think it’s cute? It’s not and it’s not going to earn you any pats on the head around here. 

But ladies and gentlemen, here you have the perfect example of why so many of us are adamant about pointing out why these people are dangerous and why the Helpmeets have been cracking down on sharing their social media posts lately. So there’s that I guess. 

34 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

@VelociRapture, yes that is the right charity.  I deliberately didn't name it because many dead baby pictures, and I'm not sure they liked what the Duggars did and want to be associated with them again.  

And, yes, the last time I looked they were refusing wedding dresses because they had so many donated they had run out of space to store them.  Brides Across America is a good alternative.  :)

:doh:Sorry! I can be a bit thick headed when pregnant.  ?

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Sorry! I can be a bit thick headed when pregnant.

You are forgiven.  Hope the latest velocibaby is doing well.  And you.

I've been trying to change the subject and avoid adding to the pile-on but --

Yeah, FFS!  

How clear can we make it that this is not a fan site and that buying shit from the Bateses is not going to be met with approval by members here.  :angry-banghead:

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

But ladies and gentlemen, here you have the perfect example of why so many of us are adamant about pointing out why these people are dangerous and why the Helpmeets have been cracking down on sharing their social media posts lately. So there’s that I guess. 

Exactly. I realize people get annoyed at being reminded the Bates are vile, but a member here posting about supporting their business just shows one of the huge problems of turning the talk to fluffy things and how they probably aren't that fundie. It can be easy ready these threads to think that the people who mention the evil of the Bates are just overreacting and that giving them money isn't that terrible of a thing, just something to joke over. 

I find it so odd that people saw Kelly's posts and couldn't believe she would do something like that. If people know anything about the Bates they shouldn't be surprised at all that Kelly did something awful.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

If anyone is interested, the same exact dresses are sold on Amazon. I've ordered stuff from there before. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Exactly. I realize people get annoyed at being reminded the Bates are vile, but a member here posting about supporting their business just shows one of the huge problems of turning the talk to fluffy things and how they probably aren't that fundie. It can be easy ready these threads to think that the people who mention the evil of the Bates are just overreacting and that giving them money isn't that terrible of a thing, just something to joke over. 

I find it so odd that people saw Kelly's posts and couldn't believe she would do something like that. If people know anything about the Bates they shouldn't be surprised at all that Kelly did something awful.

I mean she brainwashed her children, limited their life options, forced her daughters to raise her kids for her, “borrowed” money from Lawson to feed the kids she was too lazy to provide for, failed to teach her children basic nutrition, constantly goes on trips with Gil while leaving her kids to look after each other, ships the kids off to her adult daughters on a regular basis, promoted one of the Pearls’ books on their old blog, sold her minor children's privacy to TLC and UP because she and Gil are too lazy to work, used Klansmen in some of her decorating, and proudly boasts about having so much “help” all the time. Oh. And she likely knew that Gil and the Board we’re helping conceal Gothard’s sexual abuse. 

But yeah. They’re such nice and wholesome people and it’s just shocking - SHOCKING I say! - that she’d make a subtly anti-choice post using other people’s dead babies. :pb_rollseyes:

(All the above applies equally to Gil too. He’s just as culpable and vile.) 

• Upvote 19
  • Love 4

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I mean she brainwashed her children, limited their life options, forced her daughters to raise her kids for her, “borrowed” money from Lawson to feed the kids she was too lazy to provide for, failed to teach her children basic nutrition, constantly goes on trips with Gil while leaving her kids to look after each other, ships the kids off to her adult daughters on a regular basis, promoted one of the Pearls’ books on their old blog, sold her minor children's privacy to TLC and UP because she and Gil are too lazy to work, used Klansmen in some of her decorating, and proudly boasts about having so much “help” all the time. Oh. And she likely knew that Gil and the Board we’re helping conceal Gothard’s sexual abuse. 

But yeah. They’re such nice and wholesome people and it’s just shocking - SHOCKING I say! - that she’d make a subtly anti-choice post using other people’s dead babies. :pb_rollseyes:

All of this.  Also the proud of having no insurance thing while using ER for routine medical care and the poor underfed  horses that vanished when the public was appalled.  

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

She also sent her vulnerable teen daughters traveling with Bill when there is no way she didn't know the stories about him. 

The only way people could think Kelly wouldn't do something as horrible as using funeral pictures as propaganda without asking is if they don't know what Gil and Kelly are actually like. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

6 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

She also sent her vulnerable teen daughters traveling with Bill when there is no way she didn't know the stories about him. 

The only way people could think Kelly wouldn't do something as horrible as using funeral pictures as propaganda without asking is if they don't know what Gil and Kelly are actually like. 

And if they read here and still don’t admit it then they’re willfully ignorant at this point. All of this information is readily available on the site. It’s been discussed countless times. Anyone who willingly supports these people or who somehow believes they aren’t that bad are delusional. 

(None of this covers the issues with some the adult children either - like Zach’s super conservative political platform in 2014, Whitney’s proud public support of Trump, Michael marrying a guy who worked at IBLP HQ, Erin’s SIL marrying a rapist and her FIL helping to conceal Gothard’s sexual abuse, Lawson’s hateful Twitter feed, Nathan’s sexist comments on the show, Alyssa’s FIL being one of the most frighteningly zealous members of Congress, Josie marrying a guy who seemed seriously pissed off that her parents wouldn’t let him date her when she was a teenager, etc.)

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

I’ve also ordered the same types of dresses on Amazon too! And you know what I love about Amazon that the Bates Store can’t provide? Some of the dresses have tons of reviews with pictures. I love when women take pictures of themselves in the dress and are not afraid to post their height and weight! It’s so helpful! It gives me an idea of what an XL looks like on a woman that may be similar in size to me. These reviews often also provide some info about how stretchy they are and if they run a bit small or large. Amazon is so much better than the Bates Store. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

50 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve also ordered the same types of dresses on Amazon too! And you know what I love about Amazon that the Bates Store can’t provide? Some of the dresses have tons of reviews with pictures. I love when women take pictures of themselves in the dress and are not afraid to post their height and weight! It’s so helpful! It gives me an idea of what an XL looks like on a woman that may be similar in size to me. These reviews often also provide some info about how stretchy they are and if they run a bit small or large. Amazon is so much better than the Bates Store. 

Can i ask you how it is the quality of the dresses on amazon? i never thought of buying clothes there.

19 minutes ago, llucie said:

Can i ask you how it is the quality of the dresses on amazon? i never thought of buying clothes there.

You really have to read the reviews and look at who is selling it. I only buy from well established sellers with good reviews. I never buy anything that has only a few reviews. I also don’t buy if there are no real life pictures from buyers. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Ok so here is an example. This isn’t a dress it’s a bathing suit I bought. It has lots of pictures of women with different body shapes and sizes. Since there were a lot of reviews, there weren’t any surprises when the bathing suit arrived and I tried it on. 

https://www.amazon.com/Waisted-Swimsuit-Flounce-Swimwear-Racerback/dp/B07T2D9BYK

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

I’m going to echo what a few others are saying. These boutique dresses are pretty much my current style, because I personally find them cute and comfortable. As a teacher, I love wearing these cotton dresses in the spring and summer (first day of school is the first of August) because I find them more comfortable than dress pants and khakis like most of the other teachers wear, and in the fall and winter I like cotton dresses or tunics I can wear with leggings (or yoga pants disguised as leggings....shhhh...)

At this point, I think at least 95% of my work wardrobe comes from Amazon, including some of the same ones I’ve seen the girls sell (that I bought first! Seems like these girls may be stalking me since I also wore that bridesmaids dress from Whitney’s vow renewal and Abbie’s wedding to an adult prom event before both of them ever used them ?) It’s a lot less expensive, just make sure to read the reviews and size-charts. I usually will just search cotton dresses or cotton maxi dresses, as well as other key words for styles I’m looking for such as color, patterns (floral, stripes, etc.)

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1

On 6/20/2019 at 12:42 PM, Palimpsest said:

IIRC the Jubilee pictures were taken pro bono by a photographer from a charity that provides this valuable service to grieving parents.  They take enormous care to be sensitive, respectful, and thoughtful in how they take the pictures and retouch them.

Retouch... all this time I thought it was me, but as i recall, I remember thinking that the hands should have been that dark orange/brown color that a fetus has at that gestational period. I assumed it was the Duggars who asked someone to make the skin tone appear as if a full-term baby for their agenda. I'm thinking of the correct pic/pics, aren't I? Wasn't the fetal skin tone of full-term color for a caucasian baby?

On 6/20/2019 at 4:04 PM, formergothardite said:

Regarding the conjoined twins post -- That was me, or at least I was one. It wasn't just that I thought Kelly would not do something that vile, I truly couldn't comprehend anyone doing it, ever. That's why my mind came up with the scenario that the babies' parents asked Kelly to do it to "spread the message" to a wider audience. Even now I cannot adequately explain myself. I am fully aware of their disgusting... everything, but the dead baby post left me startled. Startled isn't strong enough, but it's been a long, hot and muggy day and I'm worn out.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

On 6/20/2019 at 12:31 PM, nelliebelle1197 said:

@hollyfeller you can find the exact same cheap Chinese dress on amazon. I hope you did not click to them through here. And I am not sure why you thought this would be something to post about on here. All you are doing is putting money in their pockets.

Cheap clothes are hardly synonymous with China. To use a term like “cheap Chinese dress” seems very xenophobic. 

I’ve purchased very expensive (and quite lovely!) dresses made in China. It all depends on what you want to pay. If Americans want cheap clothes, China will produce them. It says more about Americans than it does about China, IMO.

With that said, I’d never by anything from the Bates, no matter how nice it is. It’s giving my money to hiomophobic misogynists. 

• Move Along 3
  • Fuck You 2
  • Downvote 5
  • Confused 2
  • WTF 4

4 hours ago, Hisey said:

Cheap clothes are hardly synonymous with China. To use a term like “cheap Chinese dress” seems very xenophobic. 

I’ve purchased very expensive (and quite lovely!) dresses made in China. It all depends on what you want to pay. If Americans want cheap clothes, China will produce them. It says more about Americans than it does about China, IMO.

With that said, I’d never by anything from the Bates, no matter how nice it is. It’s giving my money to hiomophobic misogynists. 

Omg, shut up. All you are doing is embarrassing yourself at this point.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 4

7 hours ago, Hisey said:

I will no doubt regret this, but what exactly would one call cheap clothes that come from China that would suit you?

@nelliebelle1197 is hardly xenophobic and you know that if you have read her posts at all.

To the bold, but you have no problems supporting "Christians" who steal artifacts from other countries and try to control their employee's personal reproductive health?

On 6/21/2019 at 6:51 PM, NonSOTDRT Teacher said:

Whitney’s vow renewal

Wait a sec...I don't keep that up on the Bateseseses, but haven't Zach and Whitney been married about 5 minutes?   Have they really been married long enough for a vow renewal to make sense?

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

16 minutes ago, Curious said:

Have they really been married long enough for a vow renewal to make sense?

No.  It was a made for TV opportunity.  I hear they used the thin excuse that Whitney's bio-parents were not at the first wedding.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

• Georgiana locked this topic