IGNORED

Bates 26: Do Not Attempt This at Home

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, NoKidsAndCounting said:

Yes, you are right.  I just happened across an old episode the family filmed doing "United Bates of America," and there was Gil Bates in all of his wrestling singlet glory.  I should add that they found an old picture of his in this episode.?

Just like Gen 1. They have all the fun then rob it from their offspring all in the name of righteousness.

9 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Gil commented in one episode that he had participated in sports so much as a teen and young adult that he put games and teams above God for a while. Mama Jane said something similar on one of the Thanksgiving episodes where she said that he wanted to keep the boys (and girls) focused on God and not extra things. 

[...]

Thanks. I knew they had some opposition towards sports because they had to back track it when they allowed Trace to play basketball in college.

I agree they are opening up their views towards this because now they're apart of some larger athletic league. Wow and wowsers.

• I Agree 1

16 hours ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

I can't read the article (b/c in Europe) but from the website it looks like a totally secular sports event.  I'm surprised!

• I Agree 1

The way Kelly Bates fawns over her oldest sons and her history of sharing wet shirt/muscle flexing pics of them reminds me of the time(s) Jessica Simpson's Dad talked about what a busty gal his daughter is. The Momma's Boys shirts just add a whole 'nuther level of WTF to it. It's just...weird.

She hasn't had the same success in marrying of her sons as she has with her daughters, so maybe it's time to implement a new strategy. The Tiger Beat pictures aren't working.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 1

It sounds like Kelly is the type of woman who treats her sons as gods and treats her daughters as competition or more benignly like, "Oh yeah, I've got a daughter, too."

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

44 minutes ago, Flossie said:

It sounds like Kelly is the type of woman who treats her sons as gods and treats her daughters as competition or more benignly like, "Oh yeah, I've got a daughter, too."

Her relationship with her daughters (the married ones, not the younger ones) is more like she is trying to be besties with all of them. When Josie and Tori went ahead of the group to spend time with Bobby and Kelton prior to the guys' graduation, she was fawning over Josie about how she missed her being there and sitting around talking with her. She inserts herself in a lot of their activities and tries to pass herself off as just one of the girls. I will never forget the episode where she wanted to lose weight before Michaela's wedding. She said, "I've got the wedding coming up..." There was something about the way she said it that sounded very much like a girl would about her own wedding rather than the mother of the bride talking about her daughter's wedding. 

She does ignore those younger girls a lot. Guess that will change as they get older.  

I truly think that growing up in a different home than her siblings made her a bit more clingy and seeking out friend relationships with her kids than normal parental ones. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2

On 6/24/2019 at 11:50 PM, 19tacos&counting said:

I barely recognized Katie! Man does she look older there. Is she 18-19 now? I hope the next 2-4 years brings along spouses for trace, Lawson and Nathan and in turn Katie is allowed to grow up a bit. 

Why do you want these fundy guys to marry? So they can become patriarchs and begat a quiverful of undereducated chilcren? There is zero evidence that Lawson, Trace or Nathan are, or will soon be, earning enough to support a wife and houseful of kids. The Up network is not going to bankroll them forever.

This is not a Bates fan site.

• Upvote 11
  • Confused 1
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

She hasn't had the same success in marrying of her sons as she has with her daughters, so maybe it's time to implement a new strategy. The Tiger Beat pictures aren't working.

Yeah, I have wondered why that is.  I mean, they aren't bad looking guys but maybe the wet t-shirts are deemed too defrauding in their circles?   Maybe the girls who are swooning aren't quite fundie enough?  Or maybe they open their mouths and kill any flutterings of the heart?   An inquiring mind, like me, wants to know.  

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, nokidsmom said:

Yeah, I have wondered why that is.  I mean, they aren't bad looking guys but maybe the wet t-shirts are deemed too defrauding in their circles?   Maybe the girls who are swooning aren't quite fundie enough?  Or maybe they open their mouths and kill any flutterings of the heart?   An inquiring mind, like me, wants to know.  

It is harder for these families to marry off the sons. One of the big reasons is the emphasis that IBLP puts on the man being the headship and supporting the family. Lawson used to be more likely to marry off because of the landscaping business. However, that's usually a seasonal thing that means money doesn't come in as steadily. Additionally, he's decided God is calling him to be a performer. Nathan's doing his flying thing, but if I understand correctly he only gets money from being an instructor. Much of that goes back into his own flying. 

The girls can go to school or not. They can hang out and do nothing. They can start side businesses, etc. There is no rule for them to be financially independent and ready to support a spouse and eventual children. 

Gil's boys have the tree business (though I think someone outside the family may have taken part or most of that over). But that's about it. Jim Bob Duggar had and still has his hands in a lot of little projects so he can "make" work for his sons. He also has lots of properties (some better than others) that will allow him to provide a new couple a place to live (big expense) at least at first. 

It's not the only reason, but I think the job/providing thing is a big part of it. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

I don't know if it means something or no but if you go on the insta story of the boutique there is a mystery girl modelling the dress, I think this is a first. Before it was always someone of the family, with, erin, Carlin, Tori, Kelly...just curious to see if they will address this girl in some way or if they will act like nothing is happening. Who could be a possible headship for her if she is dating one of the guy Lawson or Nate? 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Why do you want these fundy guys to marry? So they can become patriarchs and begat a quiverful of undereducated chilcren? There is zero evidence that Lawson, Trace or Nathan are, or will soon be, earning enough to support a wife and houseful of kids. The Up network is not going to bankroll them forever.

I don’t think she meant she hopes for more marriages. I got the impression that she was saying that more because more marriages are likely going to happen in the next few years regardless and she’d just rather not see Katie married off as a teenager the way Alyssa and Josie were. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 7

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I’m saying I hope the next ones to get married are Lawson/Nathan/trace INSTEAD OF Katie. 

Chill out with the fan site nonsense 

• Upvote 17
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

5 hours ago, Flossie said:

I have always had the opposite feeling. Kelly has a good relationship with her eldest daugthers (while blatantly ignoring the youngest). Out of all the boys, she seems to like Lawson and to show some respect for Zach, but I don't see her admiring the other ones, except for showing their muscles in a couple pictures. For her IG posts, she even seems to prefer her sons-in-law than her bio sons.

• Upvote 2

IMO the reason she has a harder time marrying off the boys is because they are completely unlikable even for fundies. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Italiangirl said:

I don't know if it means something or no but if you go on the insta story of the boutique there is a mystery girl modelling the dress, I think this is a first. Before it was always someone of the family, with, erin, Carlin, Tori, Kelly...just curious to see if they will address this girl in some way or if they will act like nothing is happening. Who could be a possible headship for her if she is dating one of the guy Lawson or Nate? 

Could be.  Maybe she’s just a friend and they wanted to show a taller model.  The Bates women are all close to the same height.

1 hour ago, Sheltie said:

Could be.  Maybe she’s just a friend and they wanted to show a taller model.  The Bates women are all close to the same height.

She is listed as 5′ 9″ so its probably that. The Bates are in the short side.

5'9"+ seems to be common for modeling size. I looked on Torrid's website and they have models around that height. It is something I appreciate because it is important to see the fit on people of various heights. I'm 5'9" and I usually like buying dresses that don't require wearing leggings. If they want to be more inclusive, they have to have models of different heights and body types.

Edited by ColeJo
  • Upvote 1

Found her instagram and i do think she maybe is working as a nanny for the family, lots of pictures with the little kids on recent times. She also is friends with Carlin and with Ashley Sayler. Probably goes to the Bates church. She is single, but i dont think she is courting any of the boys.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

7 hours ago, formergothardite said:

IMO the reason she has a harder time marrying off the boys is because they are completely unlikable even for fundies. 

It's interesting to me that the Bates are usually seen as the cleaned-up, more "appealing" version of the Duggars when it comes to the girls, but it's the opposite with the boys. The Duggar boys strike me, at best, as simple and private (JD, Joe), and at worst, greasy skeezeballs (Josh). Whereas the Bates boys all seem uniformly self-absorbed, condescending, and/or obnoxious (maybe with the exception of Zach).

Now I know one of them is courting or dourting or whatever the fuck they're calling it nowadays, but it seems like, for the older two, even fundie girls don't want to deal with all of their nonsense.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, Anna Bolinas said:

Whereas the Bates boys all seem uniformly self-absorbed, condescending, and/or obnoxious (maybe with the exception of Zach).

IMO it is because the Bates had such different standards for the sons. The Duggars at least kept modesty standards for the boys. No wet t-shirt pics with them. Didn't even the sons have to run a 5K in long pants? The Bates sons were raised with the idea that the rules were mostly for girls and women. I don't know what Zach is truly like, but IMO if his first courtship had worked out he would probably be as awful as the rest of the sons. 

Between being raised like they were and then their reality tv fame, the Bates sons are just awful. I won't be surprised if the trend of marrying daughters off young while the sons sit around being condescending jerks continues. 

• Upvote 18

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

The Duggars at least kept modesty standards for the boys. No wet t-shirt pics with them. 

Tbf I don’t think there’s a big call for that - modesty standards or not.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I expect unsafe trampoline play from The Bateses, but you would think UP would want to be more careful in their studio while shooting promos. A bunch of toddlers on a trampoline without a net and just a hard floor underneath is not a great idea. 

7DEC6A7A-2547-402E-8E94-B179A253519A.jpeg

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 5

Alyssa said it's for new season promos but I'm wondering if they finally are going to update the episode intro. I've been wondering for a long time when they will do it. It was filmed several marriages and all the grandkids ago. And it bugs me that the married kids are shown first but not with their spouses. 

• Upvote 5

@JMO they are - Lawson posted on his stories that they were updating intros.

Quite why they need to have the trampoline at all is beyond me. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

18 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

@JMO they are - Lawson posted on his stories that they were updating intros.

Quite why they need to have the trampoline at all is beyond me. 

Because they were jumping on a trampoline in the original intro. Obviously they could do something else, but I get the reasoning. I wish they would take some safety precautions. It shows how little Alyssa thinks about safety that she posted the photo.

• Upvote 7

I saw that picture/clip and was stunned they let all those kids there without safety, Carson and Allie who are bigger jumping all over the trampoline with Evy and Zoey who are tiny standing there like waiting to be hurt by them. Tbf, they were all in risk of getting hurt.

• Upvote 6

• Georgiana locked this topic