IGNORED

Ted Bundy Confession Tapes

BernRul

Has anyone seen Netflix's Ted Bundy documentary. I've always been a bit of a true crime nerd, so I thought I already knew about Bundy. But the doc made me see for the first time how charming he was, and how "normal" he sounded. I've heard it before, but this was the first time actually seeing it. It's unnerving. Like I thought I'd be above that (which is I know is kind of arrogant), but now I realize that maybe I wouldn't have been. It made me feel even more empathy and sympathy for his victims. Anyone else have a similar reaction? 

Anyway, now I've completely gone down the rabbit hole, and got Ann Rule's book The Stranger Beside Me. It's one of the craziest stories I've ever read. So Ann Rule is this aspiring crime writer going through a divorce, volunteering at a suicide hotline on the same shift as young Ted Bundy. They become work friends, and catch up with each other every once in a blue moon after she quits. When the murders were happening, she gets a contract to write a book about them. She gets signed to write about a series of murders, and then it turns out her old friend was the one commiting them. So she's researching the crime, while also writing letters and having phones calls with Ted in prison, hoping he's innocent but not compeletly sure.

That's fucking nuts. The whole story is just so weird and compelling. 

Archived