IGNORED

Counting On Season 8/9/10 2: How low will they go? (CW: Miscarriage)

Coconut Flan

8 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Do I think the Duggar reality tv train wreck is the right place for finally bringing the topic of miscarriages into the public mind more? Definitely not. But honestly- I think it’s absolutely wrong to make it a taboo and put a content warning on it. Yes, it hurts (and it hurts me as it reminds me a lot about my own) people but you know what- many things hurt people. Showing pregnancy and babies hurts people suffering from infertility or grieving their children, showing happy couples finding love and weddings hurts people that are alone and long for it, showing happy families hurts people that come from abusive families or have lost a parent or sibling. (It hurts me so much when people talk about loving their fathers and what they do together. Mine died almost ten years ago and it still makes me a sobbing mess sometimes. Especially now that I have a daughter who will never meet him.)

Everyone gets hurt by something but as long as the topic is discussed respectfully and you always have the option not to participate it should be fine.

As for Lauren- obviously TLC wasn’t around when it happened so they made a deliberate choice to put it out. I actually don’t see her as someone to be pressured into this. She and Josiaha strike me as in if those “he is the head and she is the neck” type of couples. She seems very serious and aware about what fights she is fighting and when to just go along. I will say I was truly surprised by her pregnancy because of what I thought/think of them. But come to think of it- maybe not.

My tendency is to agree with this, about no need for content warning, but the truth is I wish there were CW about Derick-Sled-Cat each time it is mentioned. I didn't see that on video, only read about it here, and I wish I hadn't; members now sometimes bring it up in a joking manner. And that's for a cat... that apparently didn't even get hurt, not at all even close to my embryo/future child. On this forum particularly I can see why CWs are nice, but in reality we all have to hear, see, think and face hurtful things, like you said, and crushing things. When it's all said and done, it doesn't hurt me any to see a "CW" on a threat title and if it helps someone else not have such a miserable day, then that's OK.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People offering to help and not showing up is like the obligatory "Thoughts and prayers" from politicians while doing nothing to fix the issues. It's a nice thought, but you're not doing shit. 

Re Josiah and Lauren's honeymoon:  Wasn't there a clip last season that went something like this? 

J:  "Where would you like to go most in the world?"

L: "ISRAEL!!!1!!!!"

J: "But you'd like Austria too, right?"

L:"Oh....  Yeah, Austria!"

I could be misremembering, but I thought it was broadly discussed at the time?

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

Re Josiah and Lauren's honeymoon:  Wasn't there a clip last season that went something like this? 

J:  "Where would you like to go most in the world?"

L: "ISRAEL!!!1!!!!"

J: "But you'd like Austria too, right?"

L:"Oh....  Yeah, Austria!"

I could be misremembering, but I thought it was broadly discussed at the time?

I thought it was the contrary. Josiah asked Lauren if she would like to visit Israel and Lauren said that her dream destinantion was Austria because of the Sound of Music and Josiah was like... ''But you'd love Israel too right?''

Which makes me wonder if  the Austria trip was rushed and botched because it was not the first plan.

But maybe I am misremembering.

11 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

I thought it was the contrary. Josiah asked Lauren if she would like to visit Israel and Lauren said that her dream destinantion was Austria because of the Sound of Music and Josiah was like... ''But you'd love Israel too right?''

Which makes me wonder if  the Austria trip was rushed and botched because it was not the first plan.

No it was the opposite. She said that she wanted to visit Israel most and he said "But you'd love Austria too right?" 

Last week had 971 K viewers with a .24 rating.  It was the 26th cable show of the day.

2 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

As others said, it's the opposite.

It was pretty clear when it happened that it was like, TLC has already filmed our family in Israel, gotta choose something else, so France, Italy, Greece, Swirltzerland, Australia, UK, Japan are all out of the picture, whats left?

10 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

People offering to help and not showing up is like the obligatory "Thoughts and prayers" from politicians while doing nothing to fix the issues. It's a nice thought, but you're not doing shit. 

I actually tried to reach out to one of my friends. She is very self asorbed, I can't talk to her about anything, it always comes back to her. I'm thinking that she isn't a  friend after all.  And it sucks because I've been there for her many times. Lesson learned, I guess.

16 hours ago, freethemall said:

It was pretty clear when it happened that it was like, TLC has already filmed our family in Israel, gotta choose something else, so France, Italy, Greece, Swirltzerland, Australia, UK, Japan are all out of the picture, whats left?

I am trying to remember- did we ever hear where John David and Abbie went?

17 hours ago, freethemall said:

Poor Josie's going to have to have her honeymoon in North Korea. 

Episode 3 – Sleepless in Laredo

*TRIGGER WARNING* - previews indicate that there will be a pregnancy announcement

TTH

3 dogs run from the front door

Inside Jana and Laura are “helping” Jabbie prep for the wedding.  They’re building the arbor in the middle of the living room.

Jana explains that Laura is “included as one of my sisters”.  They’re helping with the wedding and its “sweet” that Jabbie asked her to be a part of the wedding.  There’s always pressure but it’s also a lot of fun.

Jabbie – the theme is pink, but love is in the air, because I’m a pilot and we’re leaving on an airplane.  They’re getting married in Oklahoma.

Jana – this will be a challenge because we have to travel.  We’ll pack everything into a giant trailer and cars and caravan to Oklahoma.

Jer/Jed – we built it with no instructions.  Jana had the idea and Jeremiah had the instructions. We are the instruction manual.

buildinginlivingroom.thumb.jpg.96954840d74b6387550eea59e51aeee0.jpg

Jana – Usually my brothers are good with projects, I just have to explain it to them… or I end up finishing it for them.

Lauren walks in and side hugs Laura

Lauren – I volunteered to do the flowers.  I’ve never been in charge before. 

They finish it… it looks like something from my backyard.  I’m wondering how they will get it out of the house.

finishedinliving.thumb.jpg.e06f70e476c4ddff7a763d242cb7cb4e.jpg

Jana wants to move a piano and benches.  They drape more lights and flowers.

Jabbie pull up. He says “here’s miss America.”  They hold hands with Josiah following them.

We’re shown the finished product from too many angles.

arborreveal.thumb.jpg.6d7852d0f4c4c411c86c429537ce7517.jpg

They like that the flowers look real, but they’re fake.  They think they did an excellent job. They joke they should just get a preacher and do it now.

Tomorrow they’re flying to Oklahoma to look at the hangar the reception will be in.

LAREDO

Felicity cries (9:15 PM) Jinger bounces her and swaddles her in a muslin.  She bounces her again and she still cries.  (Per my experience, that swaddle is WAY too loose…)

swaddle.thumb.jpg.b0951d9612985441750c6d4e0392a1b3.jpg

Jinger bounces her and says that she may want to eat.  Jeremy jokes he’ll make her a PBJ.

TH – Most of the attention is Jinger’s because she’s breastfeeding.

Jessa – I did input, he did output

Joy – Austin changed all the diapers for the first month.  Sleepless nights were hard.

Ben – lots of getting up in the night and being greeted by an interesting smell.

Jeremy bounces felicity and says that he doesn’t have the bounce down yet.

Jinger – we start the routine 2-3 hours before bed.  It makes our lights longer.  She bounces her and tells Jeremy that she could have eaten something, maybe that’s why she’s upset.

Jeremy yawns

Jessa TH – The sleep is hard, you’re used to sleeping 8 hours through the night and you start to feel it pretty fast.

10:53 PM

Jeremy – once you hear her sigh she’s out.  I used to have a close bond between myself and sleep.  Felicity is a barrier, she’s worth it though.

3:55 AM

Felicity cries, jinger goes to get her.  HOLY LOOSE SWADDLE IN HER FACE.  NO!!!

swaddleinface.thumb.jpg.16a5f78e64a89b085743b3572a566464.jpg

She gets up once or twice, it depends on the night.   Sometimes they hear her cry when she isn’t crying.  Hopefully this phase will ease up in the next 3 years.

PART 2

Morning in Laredo

9:30 AM

Jinger bounces on an exercise ball with felicity.  She gives Jeremy the baby to make him coffee.  She isn’t drinking coffee anymore because it was affecting her health, but she may end up slipping some in here and there. 

Jeremy – coffee is a dear friend.  We’ve bonded and you don’t realize how much you appreciate each other.

Jinger swaddles Felicity again and bounces on the ball.  She discusses how it’s hard not having family around to help with the baby.  Jeremy takes her outside.

TH – there are so many aspects of fatherhood that are rewarding.  She hears my voice and looks.

Josiah/Lauren’s house

Lauren tells the camera that she’s expecting

TH – at 1:30 in the morning we took our one test.  Josiah didn’t know what 2 lines meant.  They drive to the store to buy more and test.  We’re now parents! We are excited.

Lauren TH – Siah and I are the only ones who know right now.  The kids are making dinner and everyone is coming, my family and the caldwells.  My idea to announce is a t shirt. It’s hard to come up with new ideas because they’ve used them.

SIah – They’ve announced it every way. 

Lauren – I wanted something unique (irons shirt)

makingshirt.thumb.jpg.7681c26ff83c1c84508fadbec8279eb1.jpg

Lauren – I think it will take a little bit and it will be hard to read it.  I think the first person to notice will be lily, she’ll know it’s a new shirt.  Our plan is to lay low for a while and wear the cardigan covering the shirt.  I’ll conveniently take it off and hopefully they’ll read the shirt.

PART 3

TTH

Bin explains that today they’re going to do math differently, and use a recipe.  Michelle is part of the class… which is under the slide.  I don’t recognize the girl in the grey shirt.

228099305_binspeaksmichellelistens.thumb.jpg.c7d2fca8dfb56844965b43efd2f64973.jpg

Binteaches.thumb.jpg.f4914b8bc04ec903da65b22b92e19f61.jpg

They’re going to take a “field trip” to the store and make 40 servings because family is coming over tonight.

Bin TH – A few months ago I started tutoring the kids.  I’m still continuing my education, taking some online classes, this is a great job to have now and I enjoy teaching part time.  (JOB???)

Michelle repeats pretty much what Bin just said, in a baby voice. 

Michellerepeats.thumb.jpg.1e22624f3961bc57ca8e4aac936a3b07.jpg

The J’kids (and others I don’t recognize plus Tyler) don’t look amused.  Some of them didn’t even bother to get pencils for their pretend class and God’s miracle child wasn’t blessed with a nice, new, pencil.  Looks like she got the short stick

pencils.thumb.jpg.e652f9857f2fcc8d331c9e2683104216.jpg

Jessa TH – We were homeschooled growing up. My mom was the primary teacher but sometimes a friend would come in to do a science project

Flashback to 2001

Bin explains they’re making Tagine-Style Chicken.  It’s one of his favorite and it’s a “north African” kind of dish.

He tells the class that the recipe is for 4 servings but they need 40.  They need to multiply by 10.

TH – In the Duggar family, doubling and tripling is essential.

Michelle looks on smugly

J’kids discuss what they’re favorite subjects are.  Josie likes nothing, Jinger doesn’t like math. JD can use a calculator.  Jessa lost her math book in 3rd grade but Michelle didn’t notice for several days.  She got out of school for a few days.

Bin TH – the most challenging part is keeping them focused.

J’kids – talk about getting in trouble.  They like homeschooling and you don’t have to hop on a bus at 7am.

Michelle – Bin is really patient and he stays calm.

Bin – the lesson went pretty smooth so we’re going to go to the store and use the math.

ADA, OK

They pull up at the hangar. Jana, Laura, and Karina are with them.  They’re having the reception there because I’m a pilot and she’s a pilot’s bride… and we’re going to have up to 1000 people. 

Producer – did you think you’d have a wedding with 1000 guests?

Abbie – that’s bigger than my town.

They discuss that there are no bathrooms in the hangar.  They’ll have to get a trailer or port a potties.

Jana – it’s challenging not having a bathroom

Producer – how many bathrooms do you need if you have 1000 guests?

J’kids – all do math and get different numbers.  Joy says don’t serve tea.  JD – I don’t think there are federal regulations but it gets messy if they don’t do it in the proper place.

They talk about where the plane will sit.  He tells us AGAIN that he’s a pilot and they will fly away instead of a getaway car.

PART 4

They arrive at the store.  Bin says he is “tutoring” the kids and they’re at the grocery store to apply what they learned. This is the first field trip but he intends to do more in the future.   It’s important for them to see why science and math are important.

Bin (wearing sunglasses) marches around the store.  Michelle comments that the Turmeric they selected is “organic, YAY!”

They head to the produce and the kids are AMAZED at the water spraying on the veggies.  It’s like they’ve never been in a supermarket or bought fresh food before…

veggiespray.thumb.jpg.86be60923b619b648ebfd7de181798b1.jpg

Bin TH – Having a group of kids in the grocery store can be challenging, keeping them focused… the kids want to go and explore and find new things.

Jackson – those misting things were so cool.  I’d put them over my bed to wake me up.

Jessa TH – It was a big privilege to go to a store (flashbacks to Duggar days shopping).

Bin tells them to find dried fruit.

Bin/Jessa TH – We have our hands full with 2 kids right now.

Tyler pushes the cart (he’s featured A LOT in this episode)

tylercart.thumb.jpg.2e49384f6a5663e2b89632cec6ffc55c.jpg

Jackson messes around with the scale.  Bin calls him back.

They go to check out and Bin calls it a success.

Jordyn is apathetic.  She says its “the usual” to cook for 40 people.

Back at the TTH they’re greeted (and ignore) a dog.  They unpack and head into the kitchen.  Bin warns them not to fuck up the measurements.  Josie uses her fingers (there was no mention of hand washing).

They realize its 6 and guests are coming at 6:30.  Jessa suggests the littles go to the other kitchen and start the spices.  Jessa blames the littles on slowing things down.

Bin dumps a zip loc bag of chicken into the pan and tells Jessa to chop 100 prunes.  Jessa explains that they’re going to be late because of Duggar Time.

PART 5

TTH

The kids finish cooking and dump a bowl of raisins and prunes into the pot.  Bin says this was stepping out and hopes it tastes good.

Jessa reminds him that the seasoning goes in last and they did it wrong last time too.

Lauren and Josiah walk in, we’re reminded that they just found out they’re expecting.  They needed to wait for everyone to get there. 

Josiah TH – it’s really hard to surprise.  Kids like Josie ask all the time.

Spurgeon wanders in the upper balcony alone.  Jessa tells him to come down.

Lauren’s mom breastfeeds on the couch.   Josiah kisses Lauren.  She takes off the cardigan.

830392075_cardiganoff.thumb.jpg.1451dd72e30f9202079a81fd82ef5407.jpg

No one notices…

Finally someone asks about the shirt and asks what it says.  She reads it to them… they all screech.  Her dad walks in and gets excited.  Boob wanders over… more screeching. Lauren tells her mom it was so hard to keep it from her because she asks so many questions.

They only waited 2 days to tell everyone. (I do not believe that this random dinner just HAPPENED to be at the same time)

Boob gets everyone’s attention and Josiah announces they’re expecting.

Everyone heads to the serving line to fill their disposable bowls and hot dog plates with chicken.

disposable.thumb.jpg.df0fa9321605ab9db3af0f37c5048e04.jpg

Nothing says “I love and value you” like serving people hot food in paper containers and giving them plastic utensils!

Bin says the recipe turned out well and didn’t know there would be a surprise announcement.

Jessa – every time one of my younger siblings is expecting it makes me feel old.  I keep thinking they’re 15.

Joy – I’m so happy, this is something they’re so looking forward to.

Josiah – there’s a relief not having to hold it in and hide it. It was the longest 2 days of my life.

No "big surprise" other than Lauren is pregnant. They didnt show the shots of people gasping, so I'm guessing thats coming up next week when they say that Jessa is due at the same time.

COMING UP NEXT TIME

Felicity is back at the birth center to “show off”

Discussing poop is normal

Jessa, Jana, Kendra, and Lauren are testing cake for the wedding.

Lauren cries and the producer asks what happened. FUCK YOU, TLC

I thought Ben's homeschool lesson was pretty okay. I didn't see anything much to snark on, though I did note Josie's well-used pencil. The one thing that hung me up was that you don't have to measure out 15 teaspoons. There are 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon so you could cut that down to 5 tablespoons and get on with something else. But maybe that was too confusing for the kids since they'd already converted it once. 

We stuck a "Big Brother" shirt on my toddler to announce his sibling's arrival. We did this at two different events to include all our family. I'm not joking that it took them at least an HOUR to read the shirt. It's apparently a pretty subtle approach. It was hard watching how excited everyone was for Josiah and Lauren and knowing what happens next. :(

Thanks Buzzard. 

I guess Ben has built enough outhouses and things outside the house. 

now his job inside the house teaching....

he must be making a salary at this point and keeping him busy is the theme. 

So, since Laura confirmed she isn’t living at TTH, I guess Bin is the new Tabitha. He’s been promoted from toilet fixer to educator...makes sense.

I am just jumping in to say nothing I have not said before but just want to say again. Holy crap it scares me how identical Hannie is to one of the male twins in the male set who knows the name. I have always thought this but in the school table pic its like looking at him with long hair. 

And you know lauren's mother breastfeeding in that tent. fuck me. I have had friends who have chosen to modestly breastfeed and never once have i looked at them and felt so fucking claustraphobic......poor baby

Flop it out, be modest, neither makes me uncomfortable as much as that suffocation tent does.....that's some extra speshhulll modest shit right there.

12 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

I am just jumping in to say nothing I have not said before but just want to say again. Holy crap it scares me how identical Hannie is to one of the male twins in the male set who knows the name. I have always thought this but in the school table pic its like looking at him with long hair. 

And you know lauren's mother breastfeeding in that tent. fuck me. I have had friends who have chosen to modestly breastfeed and never once have i looked at them and felt so fucking claustraphobic......poor baby

Flop it out, be modest, neither makes me uncomfortable as much as that suffocation tent does.....that's some extra speshhulll modest shit right there.

Jeremiah - she does! I didn't see it till you said it but yes. I always thought a bit of a joy/Jinger combo.

4 hours ago, Buzzard said:

The J’kids (and others I don’t recognize plus Tyler) don’t look amused.  Some of them didn’t even bother to get pencils for their pretend class and God’s miracle child wasn’t blessed with a nice, new, pencil.  Looks like she got the short stick

I see one unknown kid, the others are all J'Kids plus Tyler. The unknown girl looks about Johanna's age. (She looks kind of familiar, but I don't know who she is.)

1759801384_DuggarHomeschooling.thumb.PNG.4349ed584bcc8437d2b68df1956b9e2b.PNG

jessa tries to be all normal and then she mentions that she was out of school for three days. A school that was in her home and with her parents procreating - they didn't notice...

normally in a normal school - you could use the teacher's or an extra one non ?

these children are all doomed. 

Johanna to me looks like a mix between Jed/Jason (Who look pretty much the same to me) and Josh. 

4 hours ago, lizzybee said:

We stuck a "Big Brother" shirt on my toddler to announce his sibling's arrival. We did this at two different events to include all our family. I'm not joking that it took them at least an HOUR to read the shirt. It's apparently a pretty subtle approach. It was hard watching how excited everyone was for Josiah and Lauren and knowing what happens next. :(

I did the same when I was pregnant with our second. I stuck a Big Sister shirt on our older daughter and had her run to greet my husband when he got home from work. I was honestly a little shocked that he noticed right away lol. She wore another Big Sister shirt on Christmas which was when we announced to our families. By the time we got to dinner with the extended family my mom had already texted everyone and told them she was gonna be a grandma again (we told my parents that morning) but one family member hadn't gotten the memo. Funny thing is she actually commented that my daughter's outfit was cute and then like two hours later she went "OH! I just realized what her shirt says!!" ?

I haven't seen the show but it is sad to read the recaps knowing she is no longer pregnant. It will probably be even rougher when we see Jessa announce and they realize they have the same due date.

Jeremy droning on and on about how he's ~estranged~ from sleep and ~bonding~ with coffee almost made my eyes roll out of my head. His daughter and his wife are like afterthoughts. Or maids--it pissed me off that he had Jinger make him coffee. I know she offered, but he absolutely could've said, "Don't worry, honey (or baaaabe), I'll get it." You have two unbroken legs and you didn't recently push an infant out of your body, get your own damn coffee. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived