IGNORED

JinJer 47: Sparking J-O-Y

Georgiana

It makes me very happy to think about the fact that Jeremy's senators are going to a be two liberal women. :laughing-rollingyellow:

I'll think about them and laugh next time I vote in a statewide election. 

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Kaylo said:

Isn’t freedom relative though? We may have wishes for her, but those are our wishes, not hers. If she is free to pursue the things she desires, isn’t she free?

She's never been presented with any real choices.  She "chose" the only option she was presented with, so I'd argue not really.

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

What would happen if he took out a loan now? Yes he promised JB he wouldn't but who is going to hold him to that? It isn't like JB can just take back his approval. 

A loan from a lender other than JB? I think the Voulos have a loan on their current home, don’t they? Look at the Dillards, someone is floating them and their lifestyle...probably JB. Debt free living went the way of buying used and leave and cleave...nothing but empty words.

The first thing I thought of when I read about the LA move was Jill telling Jinger to work on her contentment in case God doesn't want her in a big city.

Lmao

Well, Michelle said Jinger really meant she wanted to be close to a Walmart, not necessarily a big city. Maybe there's a Wal-Mart somewhere close by so she can be content?

5 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

The first thing I thought of when I read about the LA move was Jill telling Jinger to work on her contentment in case God doesn't want her in a big city.

Lmao

Man, that comment from Jill did NOT age well, especially given the paths their respective marriages have taken.  Not that anyone would have predicted the way things have gone since, and not like Jill meant anything particularly malicious by it...she was just parroting what she had been taught and genuinely believed...but yikes.  

According to Walmart.com there's 50 Walmarts near LA! I'd actually watch Counting On if we got to see Jinger tell Michelle that and her telling Jill that she's moving to a big city. 

To add onto my last comment: 
For those unaware California uses the top two candidates from the primaries regardless of party, and California doesn't allow for write-in candidates in statewide general elections.  Which means it's very likely that the next senate election will have two democratic candidates, and Jinjer will have to vote democratic or not vote at all. :laughing-rolling:

2 hours ago, Ms. Brightside said:

I just didn't want someone to read that they were moving to LA and picture them fraternizing with celebs and seeing drag queens on the street on their way home from the local brunch cabaret. Their lives probably won't change all that much, in reality.

Los Angeles has a population of four million people, and the metro area is like triple that or something, as the second most populous city in the U.S. It's unlikely anyone thinks everyone there is a movie star or drag queen.

Actually, I expect you'd be more likely to bump into someone famous in New Jersey, which is made of wall to wall tiny villages in between the forest and marshlands. It's a "secret," though, and they like to keep it that way. ?

I'm moving (back to) LA in May! After 5+ years of Duggar watching, my path may hypothetically cross with one of them.

If Jinjer want to stick to extremely conservative circles, they absolutely can. They won't be able to easily stick with just Southern/Fundamentalist Baptists though. I hardly knew any Baptists growing up in LA, and the very conservative Christians I knew were all either Catholic or in independent "Church of Christ" type evangelical variants.

I'm calling it now: there won't be a need for Jinjer to change in terms of their serious anti-gay and anti-choice type beliefs. They may double down on those beliefs after entering the belly of the liberal beast. I do think Jeremy may need to adjust his tune about Catholics. Latino, Filipino, and other Catholics are too big of conservative allies to just flagrantly insult in LA. 

I can see their less important beliefs on dancing and modesty (hello, nice sunshiney weather year-round) changing. And they will almost certainly have some exposure to marijuana- whether that's smelling it or seeing advertisements.

I think they will also kiss having a backyard and extra rooms goodbye, at least until they get their spin off. Which I agree will likely happen.

ETA re celebrities: I grew up in a city 30 miles from Hollywood, and I can safely say I've seen about 5x as many celebrities living in the capital of Chile than I did there. It's a whole other thing if you actually live/work somewhere like Hollywood or Beverly Hills, but that applies to such a small portion of the population.

3 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

I'm moving (back to) LA in May! After 5+ years of Duggar watching, my path may hypothetically cross with one of them.

If Jinjer want to stick to extremely conservative circles, they absolutely can. They won't be able to easily stick with just Southern/Fundamentalist Baptists though. I hardly knew any Baptists growing up in LA, and the very conservative Christians I knew were all either Catholic or in independent "Church of Christ" type evangelical variants.

I'm calling it now: there won't be a need for Jinjer to change in terms of their serious anti-gay and anti-choice type beliefs. They may double down on those beliefs after entering the belly of the liberal beast. I do think Jeremy may need to adjust his tune about Catholics. Latino, Filipino, and other Catholics are too big of conservative allies to just flagrantly insult in LA. 

I can see their less important beliefs on dancing and modesty (hello, nice sunshiney weather year-round) changing. And they will almost certainly have some exposure to marijuana- whether that's smelling it or seeing advertisements.

I think they will also kiss having a backyard and extra rooms goodbye, at least until they get their spin off. Which I agree will likely happen.

I agree with this.  I lived in LA for a few years, and there are more conservative pockets there than most people think with the stereotype.  You can very, very easily move in those circles and only associate with "likeminded" people if you really want to, but yeah, they'll be a bit different than your Southern Baptist variety.  And from the folks I knew, they get prickly when Southern Baptists call them on this, so Jeremy/Jinger are likely going to be encouraged to be more...doctrinally inclusive, I guess?   Or at least outwardly.  The conservatives I knew in LA were not inclined towards minor quibbles over doctrine the way the various Southern Baptist churches seem to be.  It's not culturally supported there and is seen as rather "nit picky".  

As for Catholics, the people I knew in LA were very outwardly welcoming to Catholics.... sometimes because they wanted to get you in their church and convert you though!  I did, however, know of many protestant churches that paired with Catholic churches for various ministries because Catholic churches often were the ones with the facilities, framework, and inroads that would have been cost prohibitive for each protestant church to create on their own (the Catholic churches are often very old, so they have things in place that would be insanely expensive to duplicate today).  LA is so expensive that it often made more sense for smaller/newer Protestant churches to use buildings owned by the Catholic church if they could for their outreach programs rather than having to rent/buy at market rate.  

I think that as soon as they can, they'll move out to one of the more conservative pockets in the greater LA area, and Jeremy will just commute.  It'll still have plenty of "city" feel for Jinger, their dollar will go further when it comes to house/yard, and it'll be enough of a social statement that Jeremy will be willing to deal with the commute.  

58 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Maybe their Walmart is on a beach or something :pb_lol:

wait - they are living near a walmart and ofjill used to work at walmart - what are the odds? 

who writes this stuff? 

do we know where in la they will be located because tuscany is on hold and a road trip to California thru malibu is on the books....

i have to escape them 

Just now, dawn9476 said:

I bet the higher cost of living will be a bigger shock for them than the cultural and social one. 

or all those women in bikini's 

The best part is that their Congresscriter is a super Democrat and they are literally surrounded by some of the most progressive districts and representatives in the nation. Adam Schiff, Ted Lieu. Hahahahahaha!! Enjoy your votes being totally meaningless you hateful duo.

2 hours ago, frugalitymom said:

Will be interesting to see how things change in regards to Jinger once she is further away from her family. I don’t expect their beliefs to change but maybe we will see less kids. 

I think that any hormonal birth control would be a HUGE belief shift for any of the Duggar kids. Of course we probably won't know if they go that route, but I really do think they'll all have at least 4-6 kids barring major fertility issues

Obviously we are all biased by our own life experiences but having lived in 2 conservative districts of CA - La Jolla and Yorba Linda, literally all the conservatives I came across were of the wealthy variety who were fiscally conservative (read: wanted lower taxes) and really didn’t give much of a shit about social issues.

51 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

Los Angeles has a population of four million people, and the metro area is like triple that or something, as the second most populous city in the U.S. It's unlikely anyone thinks everyone there is a movie star or drag queen.

Actually, I expect you'd be more likely to bump into someone famous in New Jersey, which is made of wall to wall tiny villages in between the forest and marshlands. It's a "secret," though, and they like to keep it that way. ?

You'd be surprised... I'm from a small city in the south (not town... city. Where people travel and we host major concerts and there are always many things happening) and the first question I get asked by friends and family I haven't seen in a while is "have you met any celebrities!?!" In fact, even the ones I have seen in a while sometimes text me things like "XYZ is my favorite on RuPaul's Drag Race. When I come visit we are going to one of her shows!" which is why I chose those two examples ? 

It's not usually that people think everyone here is famous and outlandish... but that the concentration of famous and outlandish people here makes it far more likely that you'll encounter someone you might not elsewhere. But 99% of your interactions aren't anything different than they would be anywhere else. 

2 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

But aren't there . . . homosexual people in L.A.?  :pearlclutching:

Jeremy needs someone to preach at, doesn’t he?

1 hour ago, CaricatureQualities said:

Californiaaaaa--- here we come...

anybody else got the OC theme song in their head?

Nope but now I'm singing the theme song to the Beverly Hillbillies..."so they loaded up the truck and moved to ..."

Great I'll be singing this in my head all night now, lol.

I'm just here for the L.A. stereotypes. Distance is not quite as important as transit time. Grace CC is near Van Nuys in a pretty diverse, working class neighborhood. Small houses, often several on one lot, condos, apartments. Not a conservative bastion. Mr. Snood grew up nearby. Between the I-5 (runs the length of the state up through OR and WA) and the 405 (goes to expensive places like Westwood, LAX, Long Beach)  and no one drives on it unless they have to. Like all large cities, your frequently visited grocery store, dry cleaner, park, and coffee place are in your neighborhood.   L.A. is not the O.C.. Also, Orange County is less conservative now. They kicked out all their Republican Congress people last election. There are still large pockets toward the south and east and all those white supremacist drinking games are going on in wealthy high schools in the L.A. area.

Jinger would have to move to San Francisco to be away from her Wal-Mart.

Finally, I wonder if The Master's Seminary is also looking for a boost from Jeremy. They have had their accreditation suspended for lack of diversity in hiring (women), a messy lack of response to a rape on campus, favoring wealthy donors, nepotism, etc. Grace Community Church does have its own private school, though, for Felicity.

Edit to add, according to Mr. S, the school and church are not next to each other. The seminary is to the east, down the street from a huge Buddhist Temple.

1 hour ago, CaricatureQualities said:

Californiaaaaa--- here we come...

anybody else got the OC theme song in their head?

Now I do. ?

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived