IGNORED

JinJer 47: Sparking J-O-Y

Georgiana

Marie Kondo has invaded another thread, and I'm not even sorry because I've just finished a huge glass of kon-mari kool aid.  Title is word play from the cult of Kondo, so if you haven't read her books or seen Netflix's Tidying Up, you may not get it.

Sometimes Jinger makes cute organizers, I guess? Sometimes Jeremy makes disgusting sermons, I know that.

Continued from:

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I greatly appreciate this pun. One of the finest puns I've seen on FJ in a long while.

I am pretty much the opposite of a hoarder.  I have gotten rid of so many things in my life & I now regret it.  I'd give anything to have the love letters from my first boyfriend. So many books, so much music.  It is painful. My house is tidy and uncluttered, but I really miss those things.  Including, worst of all, my old yearbooks that I threw away in a shameful, passive-aggressive fit when my husband asked if I still wanted them. They were sitting on a shelf, hurting no one, and meant the world to me---I was so pissed that he would even ask me that I reacted very, very badly rather than just being able to say so. That moment haunts me for many reasons.

Moral is---if you are wavering on getting rid of something, maybe put it in a box for six months or a year and then ask yourself again.

From the last thread:

If the toys are in good condition then see if your local police department, fire department, or women’s/family shelter will accept them. I think a lot of those places might accept donations to help calm and soothe kids in scary situations. 

Recently my husband KM’d the attic, BUT he only 86’d my stuff. All his stuff must bring him GREAT joy. Most of our Christmas stuff, not so much. I did retrieve some of the stuff from his donate pile, but not all of it. I remind him of his evil ways, often!

25 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Recently my husband KM’d the attic, BUT he only 86’d my stuff. All his stuff must bring him GREAT joy. Most of our Christmas stuff, not so much. I did retrieve some of the stuff from his donate pile, but not all of it. I remind him of his evil ways, often!

My husband, whom I love dearly, is obsessive about tossing things and organizing.  Most of the time, this is a very good trait.  However...  He made the mistake of ridding us of an old Hamilton printers' drawer I'd had since childhood (for the purpose of displaying a collection of miniatures).  I cried.  He apologized a million times, but I could tell he didn't really feel any remorse.  It is the only time I have ever been mad at him (we haven't been married two years yet), and I'm still a little pissed off.  Lucky for him, I love him very much. 

34 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Nope, see, this is why reading the book is important. You're only allowed to 86 your own stuff ?

I've gone on decluttering binges every time we've moved (4 times in 4 years). I hate "stuff". My books? You'll pry those from my cold, dead hands. The mason jar of shells on my coffee table? Who the fuck cares! 

But...I'm married to a pack rat. 

My husband could easily become a hoarder if it wasn't for me sneakily cleaning and organizing behind him. The only thing I have never messed with of his are his books, because I know they are important to him. Now I want to clean my house and watch the show 

I do have stuff of sentimental value. My confirmation cards from my grandparents, graduation cards from my grandparents, and cards/letters from my friends. I store all that stuff neatly in shoe boxes and pretty perfume boxes. I got rid of some of it, by making scrapbooks for my friends. I guess that I should do another one, because well, I have lots of stuff. Haven't gotten around to it yet! We will see! 

My husband is another one who likes to organize MY stuff.  I don't touch his  stuff usually (I did have to pick up some books that had fallen on the floor last year when a shelf he'd incorrectly put up fell)*.  I limit myself to throwing out socks with holes or underwear that is worn out.  He "organized" a closet in the spare room a few years ago, but he just put stuff in boxes will-nilly.  I need to go and throw most of that stuff out, but the closet door is off the tracks and doesn't open easily.  (I hate sliding closet doors!)  That room will become the cat room once it's organized.  I did clean out some stuff today, but to get it properly organized will take time.  He thinks I'm messy, but he's no neater.  He also forgets his very neat mom had a maid.  

*He put up this bookshelf without affixing the brackets to the studs.  Naturally it fell down.

How do you think Sierra and Jinger are rationalizing the two gay couples that are on Tidying Up with Marie Kondo? Lol

26 minutes ago, JesusHDuggar said:

How do you think Sierra and Jinger are rationalizing the two gay couples that are on Tidying Up with Marie Kondo? Lol

I'm not sure if they are actually watching the show or picking up the gist from other sources. However, if I had to guess, it probably would go something like "they only included that part because otherwise the liberals would get angry about 'representation'! They're always forcing the media to pander to them!!!!"

1 hour ago, JesusHDuggar said:

More importantly, has anyone told them or made them aware that Marie Kondo's whole philosophy is very much tied to the Shinto religion? I eagerly await fundie squabbles similar to the squabbles concerning yoga: fun and relaxing exercise that is good for flexibility and overall health (and can be considered a form of prayer in motion), or EVIL GODLESS GATEWAY INTO EASTERN RELIGIONS AND A PATH TO HELL? 

36 minutes ago, JesusHDuggar said:

They probably feel sorry for them that they are not on a path that will lead them to Jesus. They're hate the sin not the sinner right.....in terms of being gay that means if you have same sex attractions and you are not struggling with you're own existence then that is the sin, the missing of the mark, that you choose to accept yourself and be happy over accepting it as a demon that you must repress and struggle with in order to truly be saved.

I was just listening to this sermon from Clear Creek community church website (which is the church the Busby's from outdaughtered on TLC are part of) because I was trying to find out what that church was all about at its take on homosexuality. Well, I found the video that explains this and it was some twisty turny apologetics. Basically, according to CCCC,  homosexuality isn't the sin and wont send you to hell in itself... but homosexuals can not be saved...because when you accept Jesus then you will be changed and your life will change...so I guess if you are still gay then you have not actually succeeded in receiving Jesus because if you did receive Jesus, then you would stop being gay...? There was a point when the pastor in the vid heavily compared homosexuality to alcoholism. He said even if it was genetic it is still wrong like people can be genetically predisposed to alcoholism but it's still not right to partake in it, you should struggle through it. So he directly compares being gay to things like embarrassing your family by being drunk or passing out on the lawn or other things...like he went out of his way to seemingly not say things directly bad about homosexuality but would compare it to other sins directly and then trash the other sin. He said he didn't want people to think his church was like those other crazy churches that hate gays and say mean things blah blah...but his church is anti gay, just less vocal about it and super heavy on the apologetics. One guy tried to join, said he was a gay christian but was sure God made him that way and was done struggling with that and the pastor said that was a "non starter" so he (the gay christian) could come to sermons but his "involvement and influence in the community would be limited" because he was not open to listen to and accept  that he could not really be saved if he didn't ultimately  change his homosexuality...or die and go to hell trying I guess. 

Anyway sorry, I just always wondered about the weird logic behind the "love the sinner hate the sin" idea and just watched this sermon that is so hateful toward LGBTQ but thinks it is being loving! and heard some of the twisted apologetics behind it and went on a rant here because I'm sure Jinger and Sierra would rationalize their anti gay world view in a very similar way. 

I have had ROWS (big rows) with my husband about stuff/personal possessions/crap. I am quite a minimalist and very tidy, my husband comes from a family of hoarders and tidying does not come naturally to him. One big memorable fight was when we moved into our first apartment together and the man insisted on taking with him a bag of old, moldy newspapers that he had received from a neighbour and that had been rotting away merrily in the basement for 2 years without so much as having been glimpsed at by my husband. The newspapers were eventually tossed, fortunately, but this fight stayed in my memory.

My husband does believe about improving himself, often by means of books, and one day he came home with Marie Kondo's book. I had a quick look at it, decided that the basic principles were by what I had been living my life anyway, and put it aside. My husband read the book, and I don't know what happened, but he suddenly went through all of his things and got rid of SO MUCH. By his own will and motivation, and happily. He agreed that he felt so much better afterwards. It was a miracle (bless Rufus!).

To be honest, I was a bit annoyed by the entire thing - for years I had been explaining, pleading, preaching the same ideas and methods as advocated by Marie Kondo, with no effect whatsoever. Then he reads the book, and it is as if a switch had been flipped in his mind! What the heck?!

So, TL;DR - Not sure what it is, but Marie Kondo's book (and perhaps the Netflix show some of you mentioned here) can change lives. It probably doesn't work for everyone, but if it works, BOY, DOES IT WORK!

When we moved in 1999 we had boxed some stuff that we found still boxed when went to move again in 2009. We didn’t even open the box. Into the trash it went. We are bold!

My favourite thing about taking out my clothes and re-folding them is going “Oh that’s where that shirt went to! I love that shirt!” 

I do the hanger thing for my closet. If I have put it on my body in 6 months the hanger is turned forward. If I don’t wear it, I donate it. 

Dear Rufus. How many threads have been Kondo’d? I am not uninterested but I can’t recall how much I’ve discussed my plunger joy or #of books or hanger philosophies etc and where.

And I haven’t watched the show.

12 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Dear Rufus. How many threads have been Kondo’d? I am not uninterested but I can’t recall how much I’ve discussed my plunger joy or #of books or hanger philosophies etc and where.

And I haven’t watched the show.

And isn’t this an older film? KM was all the rage in my area a couple of years ago.

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

And isn’t this an older film? KM was all the rage in my area a couple of years ago.

Netflix released a series of episodes featuring her doing her thing on New Years. I must admit...she looks charming. I don’t need a cleaning strategist but I see her appeal.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived