IGNORED

House of Representatives: Democrats in da house!

fraurosena

So supeonas are optional for these people.

but I had to spend an hour and a half in court this morning because I’d forgotten to renew my license and got a ticket for it 2 weeks a after it had expired. 

I googled what would happen had I not shown up and it would’ve been a bench warrant.  

For an infraction I rectified same day and for which they didn’t even want money.  Fml.

• Sad 2
  • WTF 1

Shit's gettin' real in the House: 

This is significant.  Trump is awash in laundering Russian mob money. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

"House Democrats move to block Trump administration’s abortion ‘gag’ rule"

Spoiler

House Democrats moved Monday to block a new Trump administration rule aimed at restricting health-care providers from promoting abortions. Democrats included language in a newly released spending bill that would prevent the rule — termed a “gag rule” by critics — from taking effect, although it was already stayed by a federal judge.

Democrats also included $50 million for gun violence research in the legislation released Monday, a massive spending bill for the departments of Labor, Education, and Health and Human Services. The two parties have been fighting over this issue for years, with Republicans using spending bills when they controlled the House to effectively block gun violence research by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

With both moves, Democrats served notice that they will try to use must-pass spending legislation to promote favored social policies or overturn provisions they oppose now that they control the House. With little legislating of substance expected to occur ahead of the 2020 election, spending bills are one of the few vehicles available on Capitol Hill to accomplish changes in law.

But policy riders included by House Democrats could make it more difficult for spending legislation to pass the Republican-controlled Senate or win support from President Trump, potentially increasing chances for another shutdown when existing government funding expires Oct. 1.

The provision on abortion relates to a rule promulgated in March by HHS, which would have barred programs that receive federal family planning funds from saying or doing anything to help a patient get an abortion. Groups that receive money under the Title X program, most prominently Planned Parenthood, already were prohibited from using it to perform abortions, but the new rule went further by preventing them from referring a patient for an abortion or otherwise facilitating the procedure.

A federal judge in Washington state issued a nationwide injunction last week temporarily preventing the rule from taking effect.

“Democrats are standing up for women’s health care,” said Rep. Rosa L. DeLauro (D-Conn.). “We are fighting to protect Title X and the millions of patients who get care through this program in this year’s Labor-HHS funding bill.”

The gun violence research would take place via $25 million for the CDC and $25 million for the National Institutes of Health, the first such expenditures in more than two decades during which time federally funded research on gun violence has dried up amid opposition from congressional Republicans and the National Rifle Association.

The provisions related to guns and abortion are part of a mammoth $190 billion spending bill for HHS, Education, Labor and other related agencies — an $11 billion increase in current levels of spending for those departments. It is the first spending bill released this year by House Democrats, and funds a massive array of programs from employment training to medical research to early-childhood education.

The size and scope of the legislation, as well as the inclusion of liberal policy riders on abortion, guns and other issues, underscores Democrats’ support for a more activist approach to governing than Washington saw during years of GOP control.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

So what else is new?

• Haha 1
  • I Agree 5

6 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I love this reply:

• Upvote 9

• Upvote 3

I don't think they're clamouring for impeachment so they can be rid of Trump. They're clamouring for it because there is this prevailing theory that an impeachment will strengthen your position. It was true for Bill Clinton, therefore it could also be true for Trump. I believe the hesitancy on the Dem side is (at least partly) due to this theory as well.

Nice words, Nancy. But you are horribly wrong about one important thing.

"If anybody else did that, it would be considered a crime." By saying that you are admitting he is in fact above the law. No, Nancy, he did that, and it is considered a crime. Period. No discussion necessary. "He lied to Congress, and in doing so committed a crime, and he will be held to account for it." That is what you should have said.

I also note that you were taken off guard when asked what should be done about it. For a minute there, you stumbled and did not know what to say. You should make it clear why you are unwilling to act. Prevaricating in this way only makes you, and the Dems you lead, look incredibly weak. 

• Upvote 7

Ok, I stand corrected. Somewhat. 

Such a pity she can only say it behind closed doors, and not publicly, like she should.

I also think she's wrong in her assertion that impeachment is too good for Trump. It's not about Trump. It's about upholding the rule of law. It's about upholding the Constitution. And it's about upholding the tenets of democracy. Something she swore to do when she took office. 

• Upvote 8

More stonewalling. This administration is effectively sidelining the House of Representatives. Time to act is now, or it will be too late to save democracy.

• WTF 4

9 hours ago, formergothardite said:

What can they do, though? 

Immediately make holding in contempt charges. No prevarications. Start impeachment procedures against anyone in office who lies to Congress. Start investigations into their Russian connections and confront them with the results.

Any action is better than none. This cannot be a waiting game, believing the elections will fix things. The Dems are undermining themselves, showing them to be weak and ineffective and not worth voting for. That is the greatest danger threatening them right now. There is a real chance this tactic of waiting out the storm is going to backfire on them.

Edited by fraurosena
  • Upvote 5

• Upvote 6

The prevarication continues...

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 3

• Haha 2

• Upvote 4

• Upvote 4

• Upvote 3

• Haha 6

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

Stark, isn't it, when summed up this way. And the GOP just sits there with their fingers in their ears, lalala-ing.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

• Upvote 4

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic