IGNORED

John David and Abbie 7: Happiness Continues

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

He and spurgeon could team up and cut each other's hair 

When I was little, my Grandma told me the story of how my uncle needed his eyelashes cut because they rubbed against his glasses. When I was 6 and my sister was one, my mom was on the phone for a LONG conversation. Thinking about what my grandma said, I went into my parents' room, got Mom's sewing scissors, and proceeded to cut my sister's hair and eyelashes. Thankfully, I did a good job, and she didn't have a scratch on her, but I've never told that story to a child because I don't want them to try it as I did. I still shudder to think about how i could have hurt my sister.

I also gave myself a haircut right before my kindergarten picture.

These are the reasons it makes me think a little more carefully, when I see how interested Henry was in cutting hair.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Anna Bolinas said:

Is cutting their own hair part of their whole "buy used, save the difference" shtick where they refuse to go to a salon/barbershop to save money? (if you cut your own hair, this doesn't apply to you; everything the Duggars do is just automatically irritating by virtue of their being Duggars lol)

I would think they would enjoy going to a place to get a haircut because that would allow them a literally captive audience to whom they can proselytize. Although maybe JB or Michelle tried that once and the stylist took revenge by giving them bad haircuts, so they vowed never to go again.

I wonder if they're worried that they'll basically be playing chicken with the stylist for who's going to proselytize first. It seems like cosmetology is popular with lots of mildly liberated fundie women, and I recall that Clown College emphasizes that its cosmetology program offers opportunities to "minister". 

That or they're worried that they'll get their hair cut by a Gay. 

• Upvote 9

If my husband asked me to cut his hair, I think I'd just hand him the $20 and tell him to fuck off. :pb_lol: 

As long as Abbie doesn't start doing what OfWreck does and gives her husband and sons the exact same haircut complete with side part then I think she'll be okay. 

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 4

I’m curious about where John and Abbie went on their honeymoon, where they are living and if she is working outside of the home at all. There are plenty of causal part-time shifts for nurses. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

I cut my husband's hair, but I used to be a professional barber.  And I had several fundie customers when I was cutting hair, including the pastor of our local IFB church, so they're not all against it by any means.  I was slightly surprised to have male Mormon missionaries as customers, since they're not supposed to be within arm's length of a woman, but they said they could make exceptions for necessary practical things. 

I definitely never pressed my boobs against anyone while cutting their hair...I don't think that's really a danger for poor men scared of being defrauded.  

Interesting that someone mentioned it as a thing women do to serve their husbands. Cutting someone's hair gives me a huge sense of control and power over them. They have to sit still while you walk around them, they're usually covered with a cape and can't do much, and if they wear glasses they can't really see. They have to move however you tell them and hold that position. You're holding sharp objects very close to them. You determine how they're going to look. To me at least it's not a subservient feeling at all. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I’m curious about where John and Abbie went on their honeymoon, where they are living and if she is working outside of the home at all. There are plenty of causal part-time shifts for nurses. 

While I don’t know if she’s working I did see that Abbie has her LPN license in Arkansas as of late January so she at least is licensed to work.
  • Upvote 23
  • Thank You 6

My mom always cut my dad's hair, as well as mine and my sister's, and her own too... It's not a weird thing for me to see haircuts done at home.

• Upvote 3

My brother has what I affectionately call "carpet hair" - it's like an industrial rug and you basically can't do anything with it but buzz it down. So he buzzed it his entire life, at a barber. We once had a dog that needed some grooming and my Mom got tired of paying for his back legs to get groomed so she got the electric clipper with various length blades but she was too nervous to ruin the look of the dog and called my brother to see if he could come over so she could practice on him first. We still laugh about it.

• Haha 35

On 2/2/2019 at 12:18 PM, rainbowbabycakes said:

My mom always cut my dad's hair, as well as mine and my sister's, and her own too... It's not a weird thing for me to see haircuts done at home.

My mom cut my hair when I was young, and my siblings', too. She still cuts Dad's hair (what little he has), but never her own.

Switching from Mom's haircuts at home to getting my hair cut by a professional at a hair salon was one of my rites of passage. It was a nice change, because my mom basically gave me the same hairstyle/haircut for 13 years! :pb_lol:

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

On 2/2/2019 at 1:08 AM, Audrey2 said:

When I was little, my Grandma told me the story of how my uncle needed his eyelashes cut because they rubbed against his glasses. When I was 6 and my sister was one, my mom was on the phone for a LONG conversation. Thinking about what my grandma said, I went into my parents' room, got Mom's sewing scissors, and proceeded to cut my sister's hair and eyelashes. Thankfully, I did a good job, and she didn't have a scratch on her, but I've never told that story to a child because I don't want them to try it as I did. I still shudder to think about how i could have hurt my sister.

I also gave myself a haircut right before my kindergarten picture.

These are the reasons it makes me think a little more carefully, when I see how interested Henry was in cutting hair.

My mother told me a similar story one time. Apparently when I was an infant, I had a sucking blister on my top lip. One day my mom walked into the nursery to find my six year old sister poised over my crib with a pair of scissors getting ready to cut the sucking blister off. I still shudder whenever I think about that story and how badly it could have gone.

• Upvote 5

I cut Mr. Xtian's hair. It's easy...lay those clippers upside his head and let 'er rip. Then I even up the neck area and done! No point in paying for what I can do in 10 minutes at home. 

Me? Yeah, I did the bad haircut at home thing for years. Now...not so much. 

I used to do my kids' hair too years ago. 

• Upvote 3

I think most kids cut their own hair at some point.  DS cut his the day after a hair cut and the day before school started. He cut a huge chunk out of the front of his hair down to the scalp. The only thing to do for it was shave his head, we were over at a friends house and he was playing with her kids and they got a hold of some kids safety scissors and all 3 of them got hair cuts. My daughter cut her bangs one day, by that I mean she didn't like having them so she cut them off, down to her scalp. In 7 year old logic it worked I guess. 

**ETA, I cut DS's hair for years, mostly because he was terrified of getting his hair cut and would shake, scream and cry when put in the chair.  It was just easier to do it at home he could scream & cry to his hearts content while I cut away.  We have no idea why he was scared of hair cuts, but he was, so he got them as infrequently as possible. He was probably 9/10 before he would go in and not make a scene. He still hates getting his hair cut, but he also like his hair short, so he gets it cut every 6/7 weeks and just whines about having to have it done before he goes. 

Edited by allthegoodnamesrgone
  • Upvote 6

24 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think most kids cut their own hair at some point.  DS cut his the day after a hair cut and the day before school started. He cut a huge chunk out of the front of his hair down to the scalp. The only thing to do for it was shave his head, we were over at a friends house and he was playing with her kids and they got a hold of some kids safety scissors and all 3 of them got hair cuts. My daughter cut her bangs one day, by that I mean she didn't like having them so she cut them off, down to her scalp. In 7 year old logic it worked I guess. 

**ETA, I cut DS's hair for years, mostly because he was terrified of getting his hair cut and would shake, scream and cry when put in the chair.  It was just easier to do it at home he could scream & cry to his hearts content while I cut away.  We have no idea why he was scared of hair cuts, but he was, so he got them as infrequently as possible. He was probably 9/10 before he would go in and not make a scene. He still hates getting his hair cut, but he also like his hair short, so he gets it cut every 6/7 weeks and just whines about having to have it done before he goes. 

I cut my bangs super short when I was about 10. Ugh!

For years, as an adult, I did cut my own hair. I always trim my bangs (notice trim, not cut) and recently cut an inch off my hair. My mom always cut her own hair and got compliments for her style. 

• Upvote 3

I remember the time when Two   got       busy with scissors               and cut the hair of our foster daughter... who had gorgeous curls.. thankfully he didn't get too far, but he tried to tell me it was the Dog's hair.... um. NO.

I cut Mr. Four's hair and all of the boys until they went to high school. 

• Upvote 4

I generally wear my hair long, and just go to a cheap place to get it trimmed up when it gets too ratty looking. However, my brother-in-law apparently is cheap enough that $10 is "too much" for a haircut, so he insists my sister cut his hair. The first time, she came running out to me as I arrived home next door begging for help, and he walked out looking like one of the three stooges. She's gotten better since then, but still, I'd just pay the $10 to a pro, myself. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 5

Luckily my haircut is very simple, long and one length, very easy to do myself. Now, when I got with my SO and learned that he hated going to the barber... well, I learned how to do a men's regular. I get better every time. He looks better than when we first started dating.

I think it's very intimate, a haircut. You trust the other person with your personal appearance, and it's up to them if you look ridiculous or not. I enjoy doing it for my partner, but I can see why others wouldn't want that responsibility. I also get a gross "service" vibe from fundies when wives cut their husband's hair. Not a favor that would ever be returned, you know?

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

My mom never cut our hair because her mother used to cut her and her brother's hair from time to time growing up to save money and was bad at it. She could never get them all the same length or close to it especially bangs. Sometimes off by inches and sometimes off by a lot more before finally giving up (Mom was so grateful). For my mom it was worth the expense to take her family to a salon or the barber or have one of her co-workers who was had the training.   

• Upvote 2

The only time I cut my own hair as a child was when I was about 4 or 5 and my two older cousins convinced me there was a Hair Fairy that worked just like the Tooth Fairy. I chopped a chunk off and stuck it under my pillow trying to get a quarter. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 15

11 hours ago, neurogirl said:

Yes Abbie seemed to have recently registered in AR. I have hope for her continued employment!

Ah! Fingers crossed. How wonderful it would be to see her work because she enjoys what she does, and what an example it would be to the younger girls that they, too, can CHOOSE to get a degree and work if they want to! (Not that that will ever happen with JB for a dad, but ya know.. we can dream)

• Upvote 11

It is kind of sad that Abbie is being made over in the likeness of the Duggars... they're showing her how she must cut John's hair.. so will it be skirt wearing, non working, home schooling the chilluns next?

• Upvote 2

I'm not surprised that she is still nursing. However, the moment she has a child will be the end of her career, I'm sure. 

• Upvote 13

My daughter never cut her own hair or anyone else’s, thankfully. I did allow her to cut her barbies’ hair though.  My husband would never trust me to cut his hair. He is very particular and has very thick hair. It’s definitely worth the $20-$25 every 2 weeks to not have him stress about it. 

• Upvote 4

My cheap dad tried cutting my hair when I was 3-4 years old. There are absolutely AWFUL pictures of me with bangs that go all the way to my ears so I look like I have a poorly done mullet (as if there could be a well done mullet). It was all choppy and uneven too. Thankfully by the time I was in kindergarten they started taking me to a professional. 

My husband has premature balding so around age 24 he started cutting his own hair since it wasn't worth the time and cost of going to a barber. I would help trim up the neckline even though I hated it and it made me so nervous...for good reason. We had an incident where I thought he wanted me to help him buzz some long hairs on the top he had missed but he really wanted me to just do his neck so he didn't have any guards on aaaaaaand I didn't notice....so that was the first time he totally shaved his head. I cried but he laughed since he had wanted to do it for a while but didn't have the courage to do it himself. It was a bit of an adjustment seeing him with a bald head that first time but I've come to find his bald head pretty sexy ?

• Upvote 7

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic