IGNORED

John David and Abbie 7: Happiness Continues

Coconut Flan

4 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I need to tell that one to my cousin’s fiancé, who taught a bunch of giggling fifth graders about pollination/how flowers make babies/stamens. You know, flower sex.

Make sure to tell her that "It can be a big hose or a small hose...as long as it works!" ;) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 21
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Except sometimes smaller hoses try to compensate by removing the muffler from their sports car or by throwing tantrums on Twitter when people make fun of their child-sized hands

"They can't help it! It's the male curse!" <--- Said but wasn't in reference to penis size! :P 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Except sometimes smaller hoses try to compensate by removing the muffler from their sports car or by throwing tantrums on Twitter when people make fun of their child-sized hands

? This here wins the internet for today. ?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

On 12/29/2018 at 4:48 AM, Flossie said:

I saw on another site someone claims to be related to someone who often sees the Duggars as they share some friends in common.

According to that "source", the Duggar that was in the hospital wasn't JD, and the visit was very brief, perhaps not even overnight.  The diagnosis for that person wasn't mono, but something similar, and the Duggars weren't ashamed of it, they simply didn't think it worthy of talking about because it wasn't something that serious.

I got the impression it was more like an ER visit and after getting a prescription the patient was back home before anyone thought of posting a prayer request.

End result:  If a Duggar had a recent health issue, they didn't think it warranted making a public statement about it.  I only wonder if they're aware of internet speculation and if they're annoyed or amused by it.

The messy bitch in me wants the Duggars to mention who it was so Pickles can be so blatantly wrong.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

This is turning out to be a terribly boring and invasive game of telephone. In all likelihood, an unspecified Duggar came down with some common illness, possibly even strep throat and/or mono, and needed routine medical care at a time when most doctors offices are closed (night, weekend, holiday). So they went to the ER, got routine treatment, and went home. I’ve lived in places where the urgent care/after hours clinic was physically located at the ER - urgent care had separate triage, exam rooms, and staff, but shared a waiting area with the ER. To a nosy outside observer or gossip (i.e. Pickles) this could look a lot worse than it actually is...

• Upvote 25

Why do we even still talk about it? @FrozenSmile said a few days ago it wasn’t John and it wasn’t anything serious. Almost everyone is in agreement how shitty Pickles is to stir up speculation about the health of someone. So I don’t grasp why I read post after post with possible diagnoses? Not trying to end the topic but I don’t see how that is making us much better than the people on Pickles page. Just because we aren’t as vile doesn’t mean we aren’t actually picking up her rumours, spreading them and adding our own speculation. This is a huge win for her in my books.

Especially when we already know that we talk about something that isn’t even the case.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Why do we even still talk about it? @FrozenSmile said a few days ago it wasn’t John and it wasn’t anything serious. Almost everyone is in agreement how shitty Pickles is to stir up speculation about the health of someone. So I don’t grasp why I read post after post with possible diagnoses? Not trying to end the topic but I don’t see how that is making us much better than the people on Pickles page. Just because we aren’t as vile doesn’t mean we aren’t actually picking up her rumours, spreading them and adding our own speculation. This is a huge win for her in my books.

Especially when we already know that we talk about something that isn’t even the case.

I basically agree with you, but @FrozenSmile did say that there could be another Duggar sick/in hospital that she didn't know about. @FrozenSmile has never claimed to know everything about the Duggars or to be a 100% accurate source for inside Duggar information. Pickles not naming her source, and her track record of bullshit, plus the shittiness of exposing someone's (supposed) private medical issue, and the fact that the supposed issue itself is far from newsworthy, is enough for me to decide it's really not worth speculating about.

• Upvote 7

I scrolled through the JD/Abbie Instagram for the first time and was thoroughly refreshed by how they’re either both looking at the camera or looking at one another in all the photos. No fundie stares to be seen. 

Its a surprisingly pleasant change. 

• Upvote 22

Unlike the Duggar girls who grew up as 'unworthy' and undeserving, possibly Abbie grew up feeling worthwhile and valued as a person, therefore she behaves as a valued person, thus no fundie stare. I don't know, just a guess based on the teeny bit that's been filmed and shown of her. 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 2

Abbie's fam is also very IBLP (their picture is featured on the IBLP website!) so I wonder about the differences in their upbringing vs the Duggars. I'm sure Abbie and her siblings all got the unworthy memo etc...also but maybe they all approach that differently. I wonder if her sibs are like her that way or if it is just a personality difference. We haven't seen Jana in this situation but I just can not imagine her doing any version of the fundie stare like the others in her fam have done, it just doesn't seem her style and maybe Abbie is like that too. I could be completely wrong on that though. I don't think I expected Jinger to be so completely and utterly enraptured by Jeremy but it's like she's going to have an orgasm from staring at him so hard sometimes...on camera. Speaking of which, I think growing up on camera like they did has to affect it. If you're being filmed you're going to become aware of your own narrative and of having to find something to do or some way to be infront of that camera and if your narrative is falling in love and being devoted to your hubby and copying how you mom acts with your dad you'd be more aware of having to show that if you're on camera or in public.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

On 1/6/2019 at 4:31 PM, CaricatureQualities said:

Speaking of which, I think growing up on camera like they did has to affect it. If you're being filmed you're going to become aware of your own narrative and of having to find something to do or some way to be infront of that camera and if your narrative is falling in love and being devoted to your hubby and copying how you mom acts with your dad you'd be more aware of having to show that if you're on camera or in public.

Well, it is not just a Fundie habit, nor limited to those growing up on camera.   I think it is definitely imitative, if not both trained and practiced to perfection, by most Duggarettes ,  

For the record, the rapt adoring gaze was first perfected by the wife of corrupt politician, later disgraced President, Tricky Dicky Nixon,  Pat's fixed stare was either admired slavishly or mocked mercilessly after the Checkers speech in 1952.  I grew up hearing women teased for assuming the Pat Nixon stare in public.  Michelle Duggar, also a (former) politician's wife has it mastered.

"Darling, I have no idea what lie is going to come out of your mouth next but I am sure it will be both gigantic and convincing!"

richard-and-pat-nixon-during-his-1952-te

"It was a little cocker spaniel dog in a crate that he'd sent all the way from Texas. Black and white spotted. And our little girl—Tricia, the 6-year-old—named it Checkers. And you know, the kids, like all kids, love the dog and I just want to say this right now, that regardless of what they say about it, we're gonna keep it."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkers_speech#Family_finances,_coat_and_dog

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 14
  • Love 2

Well, I don’t care who makes fun of me; I’m pretty sure I have the fundie stare down pat. But I look at him that way because I think he hung the moon. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 4

• 4 weeks later...

Abbie learns to cut JD's hair. Lessons by Jessa. Henry looks super intrigued

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Just by the picture: did Jessa cut her hair?

1 hour ago, eveandadam said:

Just by the picture: did Jessa cut her hair?

It doesn't look like it to me, I think she just doesn't have it curled. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I am getting a very bad picture in my mind of Henry getting a hold of a pair of scissors and giving himself a haircut. It looks like fun!

• Haha 8

Is cutting their own hair part of their whole "buy used, save the difference" shtick where they refuse to go to a salon/barbershop to save money? (if you cut your own hair, this doesn't apply to you; everything the Duggars do is just automatically irritating by virtue of their being Duggars lol)

I would think they would enjoy going to a place to get a haircut because that would allow them a literally captive audience to whom they can proselytize. Although maybe JB or Michelle tried that once and the stylist took revenge by giving them bad haircuts, so they vowed never to go again.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13

12 minutes ago, Anna Bolinas said:

Is cutting their own hair part of their whole "buy used, save the difference" shtick where they refuse to go to a salon/barbershop to save money? (if you cut your own hair, this doesn't apply to you; everything the Duggars do is just automatically irritating by virtue of their being Duggars lol)

I would think they would enjoy going to a place to get a haircut because that would allow them a literally captive audience to whom they can proselytize. Although maybe JB or Michelle tried that once and the stylist took revenge by giving them bad haircuts, so they vowed never to go again.

I have this feeling that it's partly about saving money, partially something gross about wives serving their husbands and tending to all their intimate needs. 50/50. Some kind of foot-washing bible-thumping logic.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4

Home haircuts are definitely part of the whole QF save money thing, but they are not isolated to that group.  I know a LOT of people, men especially, who prefer to have their hair cut at home, especially if they favor a simple cut.  And I know more than a few women who cut their family's hair at home.  

• Upvote 12

It has to do with the idea that a woman’s breasts will be eye-level and might be pressed against them. My friend won’t let her husband have his hair cut by a woman just because of that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 13
  • Haha 9

My Mom has always cut my Dad's hair and later my brother's hair. It wasn't really a money saving thing, they just didn't want anything fancy, just have it shortened by the clippers. My Mom and pretty much anyone can do that. 

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I am getting a very bad picture in my mind of Henry getting a hold of a pair of scissors and giving himself a haircut. It looks like fun!

He and spurgeon could team up and cut each other's hair 

• Haha 8
  • Love 1

I cut my husband and son’s hair and husband cuts mine in return. I use clippers with guides for them and I just need the ends trimmed every few months, so the cuts are really simple. We don’t do it for cost as much as comfort, we all prefer being able to do it at home whenever it’s convenient for us. I’m pretty introverted and I like doing my own beauty stuff over dealing with a salon and chatty well-meaning stylists ?‍♀️

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic