IGNORED

Alyssa & John 2: Getting By on Their Looks and Fashion Sense

HerNameIsBuffy

This really looks like a fun birthday for the three little girls! And I'm glad there hasn't been another pregnancy announcement yet. Throwing birthday parties like this will get harder with every child.

BTW - the food looks great. 

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MaryOrMartha said:

I thought Unicorns and other mythical creatures were a big no no for fundies?

Well according to myth only virgins are supposed to be able to touch them, so of all magical creatures they're probably the most fundie-adjacent!

On 3/30/2019 at 6:16 PM, just_ordinary said:

I think Kelly already was in grandma mode with Callie, Jeb and Judson. But the children between Katie and them seem to be the forgotten ones.

I would even, respectfully, argue that Katie could be included in the list of the forgotten ones.

That picture of Zoey with Gil made me laugh. She's channeling Davia Waller with her "who the heck are these people?" face.

3 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I would even, respectfully, argue that Katie could be included in the list of the forgotten ones.

That's true. Katie's really only being remembered now because Carlin's getting married and moving out.  

Even though I think Alyssa takes the matching outfits too far (why the same colour and why the same dress for the girls) I totally adore those dresses. I can only imagine how much work goes into those photos. Getting everyone ready, happy and still clean with enough time for a set of pictures. But I cannot deny that it makes for a cute tradition. The weekly Sunday church photo is something I saw first on a Mormon account. Mormon mummies “ruled” the net for some time as happy, beautiful and hip mothers. I wonder if Alyssa had a look then. 

@just_ordinary I wonder if they train the kids to pose. When we dress smart and I try for a nice picture of the whole family (just 4 people!), often my kids refuse to pose properly and I got upset. I wonder if it is different when you do it every sunday and they are used to that. 

I wish they would have dressed Jeb! (I can’t type his name without exclamation point) in a dressier shirt. He looks too casual compared to the rest, even a golf shirt would have been fine. 

I don’t go to church but if I did I would make an extra effort to look good if I was visiting a friend or family members church.

7 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Even though I think Alyssa takes the matching outfits too far (why the same colour and why the same dress for the girls) I totally adore those dresses. I can only imagine how much work goes into those photos. Getting everyone ready, happy and still clean with enough time for a set of pictures. But I cannot deny that it makes for a cute tradition. The weekly Sunday church photo is something I saw first on a Mormon account. Mormon mummies “ruled” the net for some time as happy, beautiful and hip mothers. I wonder if Alyssa had a look then. 

There’s a reason why Utah (Mormon land) is #1 in depression drug use. Women trying to be perfect all the damn time takes its toll eventually.

39 minutes ago, Mrs.Right said:

There’s a reason why Utah (Mormon land) is #1 in depression drug use. Women trying to be perfect all the damn time takes its toll eventually.

And painkiller addiction. One of the earlier episodes of "This is Life with Lisa Ling" (I love that show!!!), "Unholy Addiction", talked about this topic. 

Description of the episode from IMDb: "It's a community many might not associate with addiction - the Mormon Church. For years the Mormon Church has struggled to help those who are addicted to painkillers and other drugs." 

On 4/1/2019 at 6:15 AM, MaryOrMartha said:

I thought Unicorns and other mythical creatures were a big no no for fundies?

They were for us. No unicorn or Pegasus My Little Ponies.

I want to discuss Alyssa’s “makeup tutorial”. It was just a sped up video of her doing her makeup (for almost 15 minutes, still) and her showing the products on the counter at the end. The products were mostly Tarte, with some Bobbi Brown, Anastasia Beverly Hills, and Laura Mercier No discussion of what she was doing.

I contrast this with the couple of tutorials Erin did in 2016 with Maybelline, Almay, Elf, and one Mary Kay item which she justified despite being $15. She was using eyeshadow sponge applicators instead of brushes...and it looked good and she explained herself. 

It feels like there is a big budget difference between Alyssa and Erin. I really don’t think the adult kids get much money from the show - I think the show pays for experiences, but it can’t fund 25 plus people a paycheck - UP! isn’t that big.

I think it's normal for siblings to have different levels of financial ability or priority. Jinger seems to be more free with money than Jill. Alyssa/Whitney seem more free with money than Michael/Erin. My own siblings are in vastly different financial situations than I am.

I always figured Alyssa would go for regular and modest swimsuits for herself and the girls. So much fun and fashion potential there. I wouldn't expect to see it publicly but I am sure she has bikinis too.

I'm not sure why people think any of these fundie girls are secretly wearing bikinis. Most of the women I know don't wear bikinis to the beach and none of them are religious or "modest."  We've still never seen Alyssa wearing anything with a low-cut neckline. From the reflection in her sunglasses here it looks like she's wearing shorts (or something) over the bathing suit. Maybe someday she'll wear a more conservative 2-piece, like basically a sports bra and boy shorts, but I think even that would be pushing it. 

I didn't use to think think Alyssa would. But girl lives in Florida. Ever since Carlin shot that Pic where she appeared to have a bikini top under a cover up I changed my mind.

I don't think she's going scandalous. But... Getaway with John? Yeah. A nice two piece of some kind. I can see it.

I am at the point where I believe the girls do lip service to the clothing standards in public as much as they have to.

Their brothers are defrauding the universe.

Alyssa posted (privately) a picture wearing a bathing suit when she was just married and frumpers were still her family's uniform. Allie wore a cute bathing suit when she was a baby. 

I understand commenting when fundies go to the swimming pool fully dressed, like Rodrigues. Or when they are not allowed to even get into the swimming pool (I think Maxwells have never been in one except for baptizing). But Alyssa is just normal regarding clothing and outdoor activities!

Alyssa, along with a parallel assist from Whitney and thus Zach as well, changed the entire appearance dynamic of the Bates in little more than a season. I got tired, so very very tired, of people saying "pulled an Alyssa," for at least three reasons, but that was really a very short time ago. 

Certainly if she hadn't done it, one of the others would have, and I think we know which. But me and the Bates and Duggar parents are from a time when modesty was something in an old timey manners book, and fashion was a lot more revealing in a variety of situations. And yes, there was the Bible for people who took that literally, but that was a distant headcovering thing that didn't seem relevant to our times at all. I remember with great fondness my backless linen sheath dresses. They all ran hard in the other direction when life seemed like it needed to be whipped into control. But extremes nearly always fail, especially when they aren't based on a solid foundation.

Their foundation is not solid, however much they wish to call it biblical or Godly. It is out of balance. They are Monsieur le Curé in Joanne Harris's book and it's no wonder so many fundamentalists end up binging on the chocolate in the store window display after hours. 

We all know the most "godly" people are the ones who don't go around saying they are; they just do the thing and get on with it. Maybe some of these currently vain younger Bates will end up like that once they've stopped and taken a look at where they are. It is of a certainty not all of them will. 

Before it's deleted. Alyssa gets mad at a critical commenter on her insta

heatherdawn1211

I love your family SO much! But you comes across as a bratty snob. It literally breaks my heart. Watching the show, it’s so clear how annoyed you are when they come to visit. You should thank God that you have a beautiful family that loves you. Especially the fact they go out of their way to come visit. Not to mention how they have to walk on eggshells while visiting your home. Maybe you should watch some of those episodes. You may be nothing like that. But thats how it comes across.

3h1 likeReply

Hide replies

websterforever

Verified

@heatherdawn1211 first of all you have no earthly idea what you are talking about. You do not know me. You have not met my family or gotten to know us. You don’t know what goes into a show. A show is filmed for HOURS (sometimes even days) and cut down into a 20min show. Things are cut and sometimes things you say seem different because of the edit (the entire sentence isn’t always played on the show). You have no idea what goes on behind the scenes or what my personality is. I recommend you stop judging people you don’t even know.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived