Jump to content
IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters: Part 5


Coconut Flan

Recommended Posts

On 6/20/2019 at 12:03 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I come across fundies pretty regularly and I don’t post about them. However I did come in contact with some little fundie girls recently. We were at a splash pad wading pool and it was very busy with children and parents. Three little girls with very typical fundie names and hair that’s never been cut were wading in the worst modest swimming clothes I’ve ever seen! I have no idea where they got them but the skirts were crazy long (well past their knees) and the leggings underneath went all the way to their ankles. Their swimming shirts were short sleeves so they were fine. I felt bad because those skirts looked so heavy and annoying. But they still seemed to have fun. Their swimwear was what I picture the Maxwell’s wear. 

This article might explain it , at least somewhat . https://www.huffpost.com/entry/modest-swimwear--_n_1590746

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn’t see any suits like these ones featured on your link. These were the longest swim skirts I’ve ever seen. I’ve seen burkinis and these were different from them too. The skirts were well past their knees and almost to their ankles. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I didn’t see any suits like these ones featured on your link. These were the longest swim skirts I’ve ever seen. I’ve seen burkinis and these were different from them too. The skirts were well past their knees and almost to their ankles. 

It might have actually been a skirt , going by what I have read here .  https://radicalchristianwoman.com/cute-modest-swimsuits/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was walking across the parking lot to my car after walking out of Michael's craft store today and there was a woman, 2 daughters and 1 son that looked 100% exactly like the women and girls in the FLDS, Warren Jeff's group.  They had the dresses, shoes, and the hair style was right.  I saw the car (it was a mini van) they got out of and it had Oklahoma license plates (I drove by it as I got out of the parking lot and I looked).  It was in a semi-small town right outside of Tulsa, OK.  As far as I know, there are no FLDS in this area.  I normally smile at people and make eye contact, I got dirty looks from the girls and mom, maybe because I was wearing jeans have newly short hair. I noticed the boy being with them but didn't really pay attention to him.  I don't think they were dressing up or wearing costumes for anything, the looked very much the part.  I think they went into Michaels.  We have Amish and Menonite in the area and I know what they dress/look/act like, this was not Amish or Menonite.  They were not dressed like most of the Fundies seem to be.

  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2019 at 7:47 PM, Briefly said:

I was walking across the parking lot to my car after walking out of Michael's craft store today and there was a woman, 2 daughters and 1 son that looked 100% exactly like the women and girls in the FLDS, Warren Jeff's group.  They had the dresses, shoes, and the hair style was right.  I saw the car (it was a mini van) they got out of and it had Oklahoma license plates (I drove by it as I got out of the parking lot and I looked).  It was in a semi-small town right outside of Tulsa, OK.  As far as I know, there are no FLDS in this area.  I normally smile at people and make eye contact, I got dirty looks from the girls and mom, maybe because I was wearing jeans have newly short hair. I noticed the boy being with them but didn't really pay attention to him.  I don't think they were dressing up or wearing costumes for anything, the looked very much the part.  I think they went into Michaels.  We have Amish and Menonite in the area and I know what they dress/look/act like, this was not Amish or Menonite.  They were not dressed like most of the Fundies seem to be.

I would have thought that such fundamentalists would favor Hobby Lobby , if anything , over Michaels .  The closest connection to Mormonism I have found to Michaels is that it has been purchased by Bain Capital .  https://www.blackstone.com/media/press-releases/article/michaels-stores-announces-completion-of-merger-agreement-with-bain-capital-and-blackstone-affiliates  , https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-campaign-romney-donations/in-bain-deals-romney-gave-stock-to-mormon-church-idUSTRE80H28B20120119

  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just came across Breezy Brookshire’s Instagram out of nowhere(was looking up a girl who I matched with on Bumble) and was wondering if she’s still considered fundie? I looked at her pics and while she does bring up God quite a bit, she seems pretty normal. She follows the Stranger Things account along with Walk off the Earth(Canadian alt rock band).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I pilgrimage 8 miles up the Interstate to IKEA three or four times a year and almost always see a fundy family.  Today was no different.  Mom and three daughters in ankle length dresses and two boys.  Mom was like a mothership with all the kids gathered close by; they seemed to be a very sweet family.  The kids were maybe ages 5 to 13; no wee children or infants.  The mom was very kind, gentle and patient with the kids -- I guess the best way to describe them all is "calm."  People do come from all over to shop at IKEA, so maybe this was all very new and different for them, especially if they are small town homeschooled. 

Toward the end, near checkout:  Boy about 8 or 9 years old, really excited: Mom, mom, look LOOK there's a box that looks like it goes exactly with that other stuff in my room! 

Mom, sighing: I swear it's harder shopping with you than with Aunt May. 

 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yesterday we had two JW’s at the door wanting to come in and witness.....um NO!    Then it was one Hare Krishna wanting to give me a book on reincarnation..... um OK.   This morning it was a black bear looking for goodies...OH hell no.  Then it was a couple of homeless people wanting a ride into town with their bikes and 300 lb trailer (oh yeah, I’ll just toss all that in the back).  So I phoned someone to come and help them.  Then a lady came hiking by she had a break down,  so gave her coffee and phoned a tow truck.   It’s so good to live in middle of the mountains away from it all!  ?

  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good God, I just had a man at the house wearing a John 3:16 t-shirt and drinking a beer, looking for a woman carrying a duck! They’re camping down by the river (illegally), there was an argument in the night and she took off with her duck under her arm.  No money, just her duck.  She’s been gone for hours. You just can’t make this shit up folks!  

  • Haha 19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@front hugs > duggs  Maybe they are from Florida, I should have checked their license plates!  We have all kinds of wtfery in tourist season.  There was quite the police presence yesterday here, which is something you don’t see very often in our area, I hope her and her duck are safe, lots of things can go wrong up here. I’ll find out more when I get to town.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

@front hugs > duggs  Maybe they are from Florida, I should have checked their license plates!  We have all kinds of wtfery in tourist season.  There was quite the police presence yesterday here, which is something you don’t see very often in our area, I hope her and her duck are safe, lots of things can go wrong up here. I’ll find out more when I get to town.

I see your location is in Canada - I'm from the US, but curious which part of Canada gets all "wtf" during tourist season! If you don't want to get more specific, I understand!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@front hugs > duggs we are about 30 miles NE of the infamous “Highway Thru Hell” in a mountain valley. We have a beautiful river and the tourists come.  But there are no  services and they come without proper equipment and get into trouble all the time. We have bears, cougars, rattlesnakes, coyotes, wolves and black widow spiders. And it can get very hot, which takes some by surprise.   I like the tourists, but wish they would educate themselves a little bit.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A couple of weeks ago I heard a knock at my door.  I wasn't feeling well, so I was slow to get up and make my way to the door.  By the time I got there, they were gone, but I saw a couple of young men walking down the road.  They were both wearing black slacks and white shirts, so I assumed that they were the ones who'd knocked, and they were probably Mormon's doing their door to door missionary thing.  I closed the door.  

About half an hour later I heard knocking on the door again.  This time I was quicker to answer the door and found two young men wearing black slacks with white shirts standing there.  They seemed startled to see me, and I couldn't understand why, as they had to hear me clumping to the door with my walker.  Maybe the fact that it was in the afternoon and I was wearing a nightgown threw them off.

One of them started to talk to me.

He:  Can we talk to you about the gospel?

Me:  No.  Sorry, but no.

He:  No?

Me:  No.  I'm not interested.

He:  Can I ask you why?

Me:  No.  (I start to close the door.)  Please don't come back.

He:  Well, I can't promise you that.

Me:  (Stunned)  What?

He:  I can't promise we won't come back.

Me:  Don't come back.  (As I shut the door I say) Unbelievable! 

I'm pretty sure they heard me.

I hate door to door missionaries.  Not them personally, but I hate the intrusion of someone who can't help but come off as feeling they think they are superior to me.  They show up uninvited, nicely dressed and radiating the confidence of someone who has it all figured out.  They act like they're trying to help me, in a way that insinuates I don't realize I need help.  

I understand that as part of their religion they have to do it, so at first I'd try to put them off.  "I'm busy now" was a terrible way to do it, it guaranteed at least another three visits.  I'd say "I have a religion that I'm happy with."  They'd want to know what it was and try to start a debate about how their religion was better.  
A firm "I'm not interested." along with an understanding look got the Jehovah's Witnesses down to a visit once every year or so.  They actually look apologetic when I answer the door.

I guess I'll have to put a "No soliciting" sign on the door.  It seems unfriendly, though.

  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tell them you're a devout practicing Catholic.  Whenever I do that the Mormons and JW run for the hills.

Seriously they can't say "Oh ....uh ... ok.. thank you." and scuttle off the porch fast enough.

I once got rid of a guy on a plane who kept trying to pick me up by referring to the copy of "Interior Castle" (St. Teresa of Avila)  I was reading, and then answering his 'where are you off to little lady ... vacation -- do you need someone to apply suntan lotion?' by saying I was flying home for a last visit before entering the convent. 

He asked the flight attendant to change seats.

  • Haha 21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Flossie said:

A couple of weeks ago I heard a knock at my door.  I wasn't feeling well, so I was slow to get up and make my way to the door.  By the time I got there, they were gone, but I saw a couple of young men walking down the road.  They were both wearing black slacks and white shirts, so I assumed that they were the ones who'd knocked, and they were probably Mormon's doing their door to door missionary thing.  I closed the door.  

About half an hour later I heard knocking on the door again.  This time I was quicker to answer the door and found two young men wearing black slacks with white shirts standing there.  They seemed startled to see me, and I couldn't understand why, as they had to hear me clumping to the door with my walker.  Maybe the fact that it was in the afternoon and I was wearing a nightgown threw them off.

One of them started to talk to me.

He:  Can we talk to you about the gospel?

Me:  No.  Sorry, but no.

He:  No?

Me:  No.  I'm not interested.

He:  Can I ask you why?

Me:  No.  (I start to close the door.)  Please don't come back.

He:  Well, I can't promise you that.

Me:  (Stunned)  What?

He:  I can't promise we won't come back.

Me:  Don't come back.  (As I shut the door I say) Unbelievable! 

I'm pretty sure they heard me.

I hate door to door missionaries.  Not them personally, but I hate the intrusion of someone who can't help but come off as feeling they think they are superior to me.  They show up uninvited, nicely dressed and radiating the confidence of someone who has it all figured out.  They act like they're trying to help me, in a way that insinuates I don't realize I need help.  

I understand that as part of their religion they have to do it, so at first I'd try to put them off.  "I'm busy now" was a terrible way to do it, it guaranteed at least another three visits.  I'd say "I have a religion that I'm happy with."  They'd want to know what it was and try to start a debate about how their religion was better.  
A firm "I'm not interested." along with an understanding look got the Jehovah's Witnesses down to a visit once every year or so.  They actually look apologetic when I answer the door.

I guess I'll have to put a "No soliciting" sign on the door.  It seems unfriendly, though.

The No Soliciting sign might not work.  After all, they are not actually selling anything.  Or that is what I have been told more than once at work when various missionaries show up at the door.  My workplace is a duplex that may look like a residence, but it is in fact  business.  However, I can see how it looks like a home.  Also, the Mormons are generally very rude.  At least the ones I've had to deal with have been.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2019 at 11:54 AM, Flossie said:

A couple of weeks ago I heard a knock at my door.  I wasn't feeling well, so I was slow to get up and make my way to the door.  By the time I got there, they were gone, but I saw a couple of young men walking down the road.  They were both wearing black slacks and white shirts, so I assumed that they were the ones who'd knocked, and they were probably Mormon's doing their door to door missionary thing.  I closed the door.  

About half an hour later I heard knocking on the door again.  This time I was quicker to answer the door and found two young men wearing black slacks with white shirts standing there.  They seemed startled to see me, and I couldn't understand why, as they had to hear me clumping to the door with my walker.  Maybe the fact that it was in the afternoon and I was wearing a nightgown threw them off.

One of them started to talk to me.

He:  Can we talk to you about the gospel?

Me:  No.  Sorry, but no.

He:  No?

Me:  No.  I'm not interested.

He:  Can I ask you why?

Me:  No.  (I start to close the door.)  Please don't come back.

He:  Well, I can't promise you that.

Me:  (Stunned)  What?

He:  I can't promise we won't come back.

Me:  Don't come back.  (As I shut the door I say) Unbelievable! 

I'm pretty sure they heard me.

I hate door to door missionaries.  Not them personally, but I hate the intrusion of someone who can't help but come off as feeling they think they are superior to me.  They show up uninvited, nicely dressed and radiating the confidence of someone who has it all figured out.  They act like they're trying to help me, in a way that insinuates I don't realize I need help.  

I understand that as part of their religion they have to do it, so at first I'd try to put them off.  "I'm busy now" was a terrible way to do it, it guaranteed at least another three visits.  I'd say "I have a religion that I'm happy with."  They'd want to know what it was and try to start a debate about how their religion was better.  
A firm "I'm not interested." along with an understanding look got the Jehovah's Witnesses down to a visit once every year or so.  They actually look apologetic when I answer the door.

I guess I'll have to put a "No soliciting" sign on the door.  It seems unfriendly, though.

I was curious as to what would be the most effective ways to prevent any further contact from Mormon missionaries , and this was what I found https://classroom.synonym.com/how-do-i-get-mormon-missionaries-to-stop-12087326.html  ,  https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-to-manage-mormon-missionaries_b_8032206  As for my experience , eventhough I have seen Mormon missionaries out and about , usually while out shopping , at such stores as Wal-Mart , for some reason , I have never had any of them show up at my house .  And the only time I have ever interacted with a Mormon face to face was when the Nazarene church my family and I had at the time attended held a vacation Bible school , and a Mormon girl , whom lived next door , saw us playing outside , and joined us . She even wound up following us inside the church , and we had an interesting time talking about how what Nazarenes believe concerning salvation compares with what Mormons believe . I don't think though that she was very well versed about what exactly her church teaches , as so she seemed to have been unsure as to how to answer our questions .  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How to get rid of Mormon missionaries permanently: 

Tell them "how can you take seriously the idea that God fucked the Virgin Mary??????"

worked for me! 

  • Haha 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have had JWs going around our neighborhood but not the Mormons, though I have seem them in local businesses.   

Mr. No made the mistake of engaging some JWs a few years ago.  It guaranteed they came back again, at least 3 times.    Me, I just do not answer the door.  Mr. No thinks I am being rude but my stance is that it's my home and I decide to whom I will open the door.  The only exception is if I recognize them as a neighbor.

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have never had a Mormon missionary come to my door, even though I live in the area where the LDS church was founded.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

We have had JWs going around our neighborhood but not the Mormons, though I have seem them in local businesses.   

I have seen the Mormons in a couple of stores, usually they ignore everybody but have obvious conversations among themselves. Not like just people talking, but more like they are wanting people to look at them and know that they (the people around who would see them) are not part of their group.  Only once have they every been friendly, that was when we went in the Dollar Store and a couple of young men had run in the door to escape the sudden down pour.  They were very concerned that everyone else could get inside and not get soaked.  They also were very young.

My daughter saw a bunch of them in Goodwill once, they were going around the store and rearranging all the displays.  The store workers were not impressed and from what my daughter saw, it looked like the employees put everything back the way it was as soon as the Mormon group left.  They had taken things from all over the store and put it where and how they thought it should be, and she said they did not seem to have much talent in interior decorating.

  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have Jehovah Witnesses more then Mormon Missionaries at my door. My town has a Mormon Temple. We have no stop lights but a Mormon temple we have. 

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have a lot of Mormon and Jehovah Witnesses around where I live. I had a lot of Christian Theology and Biblical Studies as part of my degree (Bachelor of Education) since my main teaching subject is Religious Studies (It was a secular uni and not faith based education so we also did Islam, Judaism, Sikhism, Buddhism etc since they are widely taught in schools here as every school has the legal obligation to teach at least 2 religions other than Christianity as part of the Core Syllabus). 

Anyway, i was pretty well versed at the time on specific elements of Theology and the Bible, and being a loyal member of my own church I’m pretty sound in my faith and knowledge. 2 Mormon Missionaries came to the door and started the usual speech, and I engaged them because I was bored. When I started questioning and challenging them and their beliefs they seemed quite flustered and just kept repeating the same, what seemed like learned off, answers. When they left they stopped at my gate and knocked their feet (like you would if you were knocking snow off before going inside). I never had any Mormon Missionaries after that and according to a friend who’s family is Mormon the knocking of their feet essentially means I’m blacklisted and not worth saving ?

unfortunately the Jehovah’s aren’t as easily scared and still try to convert me at least once a month ??

We’ve also had a huge influx of Plymouth Brethren and another form group who meet at Gospel Halls but don’t name themselves, from what I’ve gathered they are a much stricter sect of Brethren - a lot of big families and mini vans. The Plymouth Brethren only send their children to the local primary school until P4 (age 8 by the end of P4) and from then onwards they are bused to a Brethren run school at the other side of the mountain which struck me as very strange  

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had a JW at our door the other day. She wasn’t pushy at all. She just left a flier. I was surprised. Maybe they are trying to be less pushy? 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recent Status Updates

    • Scrabblemaster

      Scrabblemaster

      I would have loved to start my jogging journey again but is cloudy and rainy and a little bit snowy. Damn it. Maybe I will start nevertheless. When I start in shitty weather I might continue in good weather.
      · 4 replies
    • indianabones

      indianabones

      While I may love cross country skiing, my tailbone does not.
      · 0 replies
    • Kiki03910

      Kiki03910

      words of wisdom

      · 0 replies
    • Kiki03910

      Kiki03910

      I joined for the snark and stayed for the insight.
      · 0 replies
    • Bluebirdbluebell

      Bluebirdbluebell

      Disgusted with Catholic Church over Cardinal Pell's funeral this week. It really reflects poorly on the church and should be a red flag to Catholics.
      · 0 replies
    • PennySycamore

      PennySycamore

      I've been away since about 10 PM on Monday evening.  My husband noticed that my speech was a bit slurred, called my daughter to see if she concurred and they both agreed that I needed to go to the hospital.  There I was taken back within minutes to be evaluated for a stroke.   My BP was sky-high. I. undressed and was helped into a hospital gown.  The PureWick did not work that night so when I had to go I just went.  (I do want a PureWick if I ever get urinary stress incontenence though and would need to wear diapers.). 
      I had a CT scan fairly early the next morning and it confirmed that I'd sufffered a mild stroke,  I had an MRI that afternoon which confirmed the both the mild stroke and no other damage and yet I had another CT scan -this time with a contrast medium injected.  I was allowed the Heart Healthy diet and my BP had dropped to 180/100.  They don'y want to drop the BP too rapidly so it has dropped enough to turn to Lisinipril to drop it further.
      After the ER. I was sent to the ICU and stayed until I was discharged this afternoon.  The staff were all really nice and my husband and two daughters were with me most of the time, helping out.  My oldest daughter's van was in the shop so I let her borrow the MINI since I knew she could drive a stick.  When she was visiting yesterday afternoon, her husband was in the ER waiting on a CT can and today, she was there when the speech pathologist was visiting.  She was able to get some good advice from her as her husband is currently unable to swallow.
      Anyway I'm home.  My dogs and the cat to see me home, especially my dachsie, were happy to see me home.
      A couple of things I learned:
      I need to teach my husband about loading the dishwasher.
      and 
      Jill would never be able to handle bedpans.
      · 12 replies
    • 47of74

      47of74

      Fornicate.  Six more weeks of winter according to Phil.
      · 0 replies
    • Jinder Roles

      Jinder Roles

      Currently obsessed with Laura Mvula, a musical genius
      · 0 replies
    • Bluebirdbluebell

      Bluebirdbluebell

      I highly recommend Not the Good Girl's Youtube channel. She is making great documentaries about cults.
      · 0 replies
    • BlackberryGirl

      BlackberryGirl

      Ohh jeeze, GrandBerry6 just came to me, snuggled his face in my neck and barfed, all over me. In my neck, in my hair, on my face, down inside my nightie all over the front of my nightie. Ohh FUCK! Bath, washed hair, cleaned sofa. Good times, good times.
      · 3 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.