IGNORED

Roberts Family: Fundie Hipsters but still Fundies

freethemall

3 minutes ago, albireo said:

The long-haired Roberts brother (Ashburn?) got snuggly with a girl in Campbell's New Year photos. Any idea who she is? 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6zCjalFEtw/

I have no clue who that girl is. And that boy looks very young. I get some of the young Roberts boys mixed up. Is he Gray? Or maybe Ashburn? I don’t think he’s Henry. The Roberts boys don’t marry young. So I bet this will just be a dating relationship that doesn’t last. 

• Upvote 1

What do the Roberts believe that make them fundie? They are totally fooling me with their modern day appearance. I had never heard of this family until I stumbled upon this thread today. 

• 2 months later...

To the modern apperance-point - Edgar and Rachael are currently in Italy, and they seem to have been there for a couple of weeks. Some insta-stories (his insta-handle is edgar.a.roberts) show wine production, and in his latest insta-post he writes "one more week on at this winery and then on to the next". I wonder if they do taste the wine.. It would almost be weird to get into the production in such detail without being able to taste it.. 

It’s definitely becoming more en vogue for fundies to look completely mainstream. They no longer want to be “set apart” in their frumpers and outdated hairstyles. It’s smart. How can you entice people into your belief system if you look like you just stepped off of the set of Little House on the Prairie? 

• I Agree 2

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s definitely becoming more en vogue for fundies to look completely mainstream. They no longer want to be “set apart” in their frumpers and outdated hairstyles. It’s smart. How can you entice people into your belief system if you look like you just stepped off of the set of Little House on the Prairie? 

It is smart. It also makes them more dangerous. It takes longer to see through the pretty and by that point it’s harder to disentangle from it. 

• I Agree 4

19 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

It is smart. It also makes them more dangerous. It takes longer to see through the pretty and by that point it’s harder to disentangle from it. 

Look at all the superficial change we’ve seen amongst some fundie families in the past decade. Especially amongst those associated with Vision Forum. Which is understandable after VF and Tool fell apart. Then Gothard stepped down from ATI IBLP. I don’t actually think a lot of these fundies made many changes in belief. However I do think they are out to do some “rebranding.” 

• I Agree 2

• 3 months later...

I have been watching Daisy and Edgar for the last year or so because I think they show signs of genuinely breaking away, or at least it doesn't seem accurate to describe them as fundies.

Daisy is living in a different state from her family, has posted Instagram pictures with beer on the table, wears non-frumpy clothes, works as a waitress at a restaurant that serves alcohol, and has dated her boyfriend with no marriage in sight for over a year. And according to her LinkedIn, she is even attending  community college. Her boyfriend also went to Georgia Tech and seems to come from a pretty normal family. It seems like the Wiggins family has been a big influence on Edgar and Daisy sms maybe helped them see the way they were raised isn't the only way.

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...

Could this thread be resurrected? Many changes have come to the Robert's, including apparently Norma and her husband are nk longer together.

• Upvote 1

Plus many evangelical churches have become increasingly fundie. Contemporary services with CCM rather than hymns have long been the norm in evangelical churches. Conservative churches don't really agree on much of anything anyway besides "liberals are evil." Combine that with a love of Trump rather than love of Jesus being their trademark and here were are. 

11 hours ago, freethemall said:

Could this thread be resurrected? Many changes have come to the Robert's, including apparently Norma and her husband are nk longer together.

I had forgotten they even had a thread since it’s been dead for so long. The Robertses don’t seem to be quiverful. Many of the married Robertses have no children. Edgar has been married a few years and his wife is just now pregnant with their first. Norma only had two and they recently divorced. It’s a very good thing these kids don’t want 12 kids like their parents. 

On 9/5/2022 at 10:29 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I had forgotten they even had a thread since it’s been dead for so long. The Robertses don’t seem to be quiverful. Many of the married Robertses have no children. Edgar has been married a few years and his wife is just now pregnant with their first. Norma only had two and they recently divorced. It’s a very good thing these kids don’t want 12 kids like their parents. 

Don't forget the Roberts who is now a Morton - Campbell. They have lived on the compound but unlike her super fertile sisters-in-law (Kennedy and Alyssa and the older Mortons) she does not seem to be on the path to a huge family, likely not by her choice though. Their situation is unclear though - are they living in Hawaii?

The Roberts are modern fundies, meaning they check off most of the fundie boxes even if they look cool and hip, but often still have hateful views and fundamentalist values. However, Norma recently posted pictures of her girls going to public schools, which that coupled with a possible divorce, more than wearing pants is a big sign of moving away from being a fundie. Daisy also seems to have left the fold.

4 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Don't forget the Roberts who is now a Morton - Campbell. They have lived on the compound but unlike her super fertile sisters-in-law (Kennedy and Alyssa and the older Mortons) she does not seem to be on the path to a huge family, likely not by her choice though. Their situation is unclear though - are they living in Hawaii?

The Roberts are modern fundies, meaning they check off most of the fundie boxes even if they look cool and hip, but often still have hateful views and fundamentalist values. However, Norma recently posted pictures of her girls going to public schools, which that coupled with a possible divorce, more than wearing pants is a big sign of moving away from being a fundie. Daisy also seems to have left the fold.

No, they are living in Florida not Hawaii. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

No, they are living in Florida not Hawaii. 

You're right, that was just a trip. Maybe it was to stay close to all the Campanas there who they are friends with. All the fundies seem to be going to Florida recently, it seems (e.g Bates/Paines).