IGNORED

M Is for Mama 2: Quiverfull/Pinterest

Coconut Flan

I gritted my teeth and didn’t comment on that UNBELIEVABLY STUPID bit suggesting women having late term terminations should just have c-sections.
Just have c-sections. And then everything will be fine! Dying from sepsis? Just have a c-section! Carrying a baby whose life will be measured in seconds or minutes? Have a c-section and watch your baby suffer and die! I mean, doesn’t EVERYBODY have the $20k (and up) to pay for an elective c-section? Doesn’t EVERYBODY have endless funds to pay for the NICU and lifesaving measures that are mandated by law in some states, even for conditions deemed “incompatible with life?”
Shouldn’t we ALL live our lives by the Instagrammed beliefs of some nitwit Texas twatwaffle who’s having her eighth goddamned baby and still has time to wallpaper her microwave?
For the record, I elected to terminate a pregnancy at 15 weeks after a diagnosis of Trisomy 13. I would have had a late-term miscarriage or a stillbirth or a very small chance of a live birth. A live birth of a baby who’d die within 30 minutes.
But sure, you dumb c*nt, everybody can just have a c-section.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tell this story every time people freak out about late term abortions. I know someone who had a child with a genetic condition that caused the skin to literally tear apart when touched. She didn’t know the child had the condition until she was born. She lived for only a few days and I imagine it’s incredibly painful to have this condition. The mother had to watch the child suffer for a few days before she died. So I’m wondering what these ignorant fundies want a woman to do who has a child that will not live and will just be in pain for the short time after it is born. Do they really think it is murder to have an abortion after learning their child has this painful condition that is not compatible with life? 

21 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I tell this story every time people freak out about late term abortions. I know someone who had a child with a genetic condition that caused the skin to literally tear apart when touched. She didn’t know the child had the condition until she was born. She lived for only a few days and I imagine it’s incredibly painful to have this condition. The mother had to watch the child suffer for a few days before she died. So I’m wondering what these ignorant fundies want a woman to do who has a child that will not live and will just be in pain for the short time after it is born. Do they really think it is murder to have an abortion after learning their child has this painful condition that is not compatible with life? 

That would be heartbreaking...I can't imagine.

I think for fundies, it's not about the child.  It's about the chance to shove their beliefs at everyone, then cry persecution when those people push back.  It's about collecting kids, having bragging rights.  It's about superiority.   "I have more kids because God loves me more."  I feel like I killed brain cells just typing that.

If it were actually about the child, would they hand them off to be raised by a sibling?  Be concerned about life and safety in the womb, but once born...well kid, you're on your own?

Like I said before, I do not feel anyone should be judged for making a very difficult decision.  I realize people do, but when it comes to fundies, it's the glaring hypocrisy that gets to me.

Been seeing this faux outrage over the NY law all over the place on social media.  In all of the posts or memes, the callous & casual dismissal of real life-or-death medical situations that require a late-term abortion is stunning. This is stone cold cruelty masquerading as religious belief. Put another way, if this is a religious belief, they & their religion are fucking evil. 

Of course, many of these asshats, including Braggie, constantly tell each other about concoctions of essential oils or Plexus or some other MLM shite they're peddling that a pregnant woman should be taking instead of listening to medical professionals.

Many reasons here are why I wish the term "therapeutic abortion" were still a commonly used term. Basically, a "therapeutic abortion" is when termination is the most medically sound like the cases shared by the * righteously angry @bea

*Tried to put the caveat in the edit, because computer is being weird. Hope it makes sense. And you rule, BEA!

I'm not familiar with the term "therapeutic abortion", but I have heard Willie Parker, among others, use the term "abortion care," which puts emphasis on abortion as healing.

46 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

I'm not familiar with the term "therapeutic abortion", but I have heard Willie Parker, among others, use the term "abortion care," which puts emphasis on abortion as healing.

Oh, I like that phrase, because it puts the emphasis on health and less on "good" abortions and "bad/elective" abortions. An abortion is certainly part of medical care, and so that term "abortion care" is perfect.

I can’t believe she’s still pregnant.

i can’t believe a pregnant woman would ever put on a jumpsuit. 

Why would they even make something like that in maternity? That outfit seems insane. Did she have to take a helper to the bathroom each time, like a bride? ?

26 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

I can’t believe she’s still pregnant.

Why would they even make something like that in maternity? That outfit seems insane. Did she have to take a helper to the bathroom each time, like a bride? ?

Which unlucky older kid do you think got to do the honors? 

Also, is it BEC to say that this is yet another example of Abbie putting herself in negative, stressful, or inconvenient situations of her own doing? "Oh, my life is so stressful and I have all these kids to chase around!" Then maybe don't have 8 fucking kids. "It's so hard to keep my house clean!" Girl you put an Oriental rug in front of your kitchen sink. "Oh, I had to strip naked to pee like 6 times today!" Nobody put a gun to your head and made you wear that jumpsuit at 42 weeks pregnant. 

I don't know if that's part and parcel of the narcissistic vibes I get from her -- needing drama and reasons for people to fawn over her and tell her she's a martyr (these things are sent to tryyyYYYYYyyyy us!)

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Which unlucky older kid do you think got to do the honors? 

Also, is it BEC to say that this is yet another example of Abbie putting herself in negative, stressful, or inconvenient situations of her own doing? "Oh, my life is so stressful and I have all these kids to chase around!" Then maybe don't have 8 fucking kids. "It's so hard to keep my house clean!" Girl you put an Oriental rug in front of your kitchen sink. "Oh, I had to strip naked to pee like 6 times today!" Nobody put a gun to your head and made you wear that jumpsuit at 42 weeks pregnant. 

I don't know if that's part and parcel of the narcissistic vibes I get from her -- needing drama and reasons for people to fawn over her and tell her she's a martyr (these things are sent to tryyyYYYYYyyyy us!)

What you’ve described above is her classic “humble-brag” strategy. 

Also, the way she constantly describes her pregnancies as a form of sanctification is creepy.

In fact, she makes it almost seem as if she’s into works based salvation by suggesting that constant pregnancies make her become “Godlier”.

This anti-abortion post makes me angry. I'm putting my rant under a spoiler because it could be triggering for anyone who has a history in the foster care system. I got a bit worked up.
Disclaimer that this has been my experience and my education into feminism and social welfare. I have known two separate foster carers, one in my family and a family friend. Obviously I don't mean to negatively stereotype all children in care, they deserve love and care, but I do believe that most of them will experience some behavioral issues due to having no control over their lives once in the system. The scenarios at the bottom are ones that I have seen and are things I could see that would happen should Abbie become a respite carer.

Spoiler

Banning abortions just leads to dangerous abortions. Think of coathangers, falling down stairs or someone kicking you in the stomach. Those actions scream of desperation. You have eight children, and you're incredibly privileged that they are healthy and safe. But would you want to bring a child into an unsafe situation? Say, giving birth to another child who you know will be abused, or will be the father's means of controlling you? A child you don't know will be safe and happy? Ones who will be traumatized or worse because of the situations they were born in? 

You can't compare your circumstances to that. And becoming a respite carer? Seriously? HOW are you not putting these together? "You have to birth that kid, but we won't offer you support after it's actually born, just take away that kid because you can't adequately/safely care for it".

As someone who has seen the foster care system in action, I think it's horrific that for so many children the choice comes down to 'stay with the family and risk abuse or neglect, or go into care and possibly experience that anyway'. Even the success stories often have a sad backstory. And quite frankly I don't believe Abbie has what it takes to handle one of these children even as a respite carer. When your house has been trashed by a child looking for the reaction they expect, or they straight up refuse to follow your rules because why should they when you aren't their real parent, or they show up pregnant, or when your toddlers look up at you with a smile and say 'fuck religion', I don't believe you will find it 'sanctifying'.

Also, they will google you, and find both your site and this one.

I am serious. I want to know why people like Abbie continue to birth their own children instead of adopting babies? The answer is because they are not pro-life. They are pro-shame.

9 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

I am serious. I want to know why people like Abbie continue to birth their own children instead of adopting babies? The answer is because they are not pro-life. They are pro-shame.

I really wish Anthro would come out with a line of floral patterned condoms. 

19 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

OT: At age 7, I went to a family wedding. The bride wore a big Southern belle hoop skirt, so her maid of honor had to help her in the ladies’ room at the reception. I got it into my head that that was a standard maid-of-honor job function.

7 minutes ago, Hane said:

OT: At age 7, I went to a family wedding. The bride wore a big Southern belle hoop skirt, so her maid of honor had to help her in the ladies’ room at the reception. I got it into my head that that was a standard maid-of-honor job function.

The last time I was a bridesmaid and helped to the bride in the bathroom resulted in me getting peed on :5624798d10d1f_nayIsayno:

On 1/26/2019 at 11:05 AM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I though hugely pregnant women (beyond a certain week) weren't supposed to soak in a hot bath?

And at 40 weeks how on earth did she haul herself in and out?

It's the opposite, soaking in hot water was at one point thought to possibly increase the chance of miscarriage in the first trimester. Big emphasis on the "possiby" and most of the studies focused on hot tubs and jacuzzis, not regular baths. A recent review of multiple studies states that there is actually little to no risk from heat stress. The old rec was to not elevate your blood temperature to 102 degrees or above for ten minutes or longer, and that is actually really hard to do. Even those who love hot tubs and saunas are getting out and cooling off before that point. 

I took hot baths all the time late in pregnancy. I didn't find it very hard to get in and out of a regular bath tub. Easier than getting in and out of a car, lol.

So, pregnant women and jumpsuits. Eva Longoria wore a jumpsuit while a million weeks pregnant on Jane the Virgin and she totally rocked it. I think the whole difference is attitude:

EL: "I always have a half-smile because I know that giant-pregnant bellies are ridiculous and I am always in on the joke"

Braggie: "I am soooooo serious and better than everyone"

I am pro wear-whatever-you-want-if you-are-comfortable. I am not pro snobby-make-other-people-feel-bad.

*deep dramatic sigh* Some people never learn do they? After Abbie's little no one loves me hissy fit you would think she'd learn. But no. She's back again today with this:

"Also, I'm the one currently sitting in that chair after a day of teaching Spanish at our homeschool co-op, getting a "labor prep" foot massage from Ezra. His idea. He even had me look up acupressure points and made sure to set timers between applying pressure and everything.

He's the cutest little old man in a 12-year-old body everrrr."

No Abbie, he's not a little old man. It may be his idea but I'm guessing Abbie is pretty beastly right now and Ezra knows how to charm the snake. Poor Ezra. Forced to be all things to his mother. By the way, why isn't Mr. Abbie rubbing his wife's feet? 

1 minute ago, SuperNova said:

*deep dramatic sigh* Some people never learn do they? After Abbie's little no one loves me hissy fit you would think she'd learn. But no. She's back again today with this:

"Also, I'm the one currently sitting in that chair after a day of teaching Spanish at our homeschool co-op, getting a "labor prep" foot massage from Ezra. His idea. He even had me look up acupressure points and made sure to set timers between applying pressure and everything.

No Abbie, he's not a little old man. It may be his idea but I'm guessing Abbie is pretty beastly right now and Ezra knows how to charm the snake. Poor Ezra. Forced to be all things to his mother. By the way, why isn't Mr. Abbie rubbing his wife's feet? 

My opinion is that Sean is constantly working to make enough money for Braggie to constantly spend. And I also think he likes to avoid her and the kids. 

26 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

I was disgusted by this as well. Clearly, she wrote it in a vain attempt to make her followers jealous and/or feel like inadequate parents.

Abbie also mentioned in a post or comment somewhere that Ezra was helping her babysit someone else’s kids.

She is unable to be a parent without recruiting the eldest children to do her (and Shawn’s) job. Braggie Abbie is completely dependent upon the three older children to function.

I think Shawn is attempting to grow his traveling computer consulting “side job” because it allows him to get away from Abbie.

Ezra reminds me of Nurie with her “pamper parties” for mama JRod.

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My opinion is that Sean is constantly working to make enough money for Braggie to constantly spend. And I also think he likes to avoid her and the kids. 

I scrolled past and thought I read "Sean is constantly  working to keep her spermed."

Ya know, just because Shawn fathered 8 children, that doesn't mean he wants to be a father to 8 children.

But then I don't think Braggie wants to be a mother to 8.  She's written about getting pregnant continuously as some kind of way to prove to God she's doing what he wants/his will. Because God knows that she really, really, really dislikes being pregnant and isn't mother material.

So it's like he's testing her or something.  Her post about all this was written in Jesus speak, so hard for us non Jesus speaking mortals to understand.

Sometimes I wish there was a big, "You drove me from Christianity" sign for these types of people or at least, "You keep me from going back to Jesus" notes to drop her.

I want to rant, but instead going with, nah I am good away from these types, thanks for reminding me, why I am not Christian!

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived