IGNORED

Sierra 2: Pregnancy Rumors Again?

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

21 minutes ago, JillyO said:

The IG story seems to have expired, so I can't tell you what that was about. But Sierra has previously talked about the fact that she some kind of condition that makes pregnancy life-threatening for her. We don't really know if that's an exaggeration or not. It definitely does not keep her from getting pregnant again and again.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

She's not pregnant. A total stranger made a nasty crack about her being pregnant with twins and her soooo sweet husband "didn't let" her respond to the guy. 

I was saying a good husband wouldn't keep pressuring her into pregnancies she doesn't (seem to) want anymore. 

• Upvote 3

I literally just think that if you forget something somewhere and it's not there later, you weren't a victim of theft. If someone thinks your lost crap is abandoned crap, it's not illegal to claim it. 

It sure as hell is illegal if you have no objective reasons to think it's been abandoned.  In law (at least where I practice), if you find something that's not yours and take it, you're a thief.  

Coincidentally, I just prosecuted a gentleman who took lengths of plastic piping left in an industrial scrubland - he said he thought they were abandoned.  He was found guilty of theft at the end of trial.  

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

@Born Skeptic in the previous thread said:  

If you leave a personal item behind and it is gone before you go back to get it (minutes, hours, or even a day later) it is a bit silly to call it "stolen" and you certainly don't know that the person who found it is a thief.  

So, if I go back and someone has, indeed, found it and taken it without turning it in to an info desk/lost-and-found/reception/etc., that someone is, indeed, a thief

Just because something is THERE doesn't mean it's FREE for the taking.

Keep your mitts of what's not yours. Period.

• Upvote 23

I worked at a resort and at one point management had to explain to the staff how lost and found worked. As in, you WORK here. If you find something, your JOB is to bring it to the front desk (for valuables) or the lost-and-found bin (for clothes etc.) We had a bit of a finders keepers thing going on when staff found something nice that a guest had left behind, and we had to make it clear that finders keepers only applied AFTER the guest had had a chance to retrieve the item.

There were also some problems with staff borrowing each others' stuff (generally ok, but ask first) and then it not getting back to the original owner. One of my friends had a much-loved shirt disappear and reappear on someone else's back; that person claimed up and down it was hers. When said person left the shirt behind for about five minutes, my friend quickly nipped in and removed it to her own room, and kept it out of sight the rest of the summer, despite much moaning from the deprived thief. (We were all cheering on my friend!)

• Upvote 9

My worst -- or nearly my worst, anyway -- incident with losing something was when I lost my wallet about an hour before getting on a plane that was taking me to where I was going to connect to a flight to France. It had my passport and all my cards in it. I actually don't know for sure how it happened since I don't remember setting my wallet down anywhere. It's possible someone could have just taken in from me since I had it out and was fairly distracted, but I think it's most likely that I just dropped it and didn't realize. I alerted security right away and spent almost an hour retracing my steps and fretting about it but then with literally minutes until my plane started boarding I got a call that my wallet had been turned in. All the important stuff was still there; the only thing missing was my cash, which was probably about $30. Obviously I don't think it was okay for someone to take the cash but I was so relieved to get everything else back that I really didn't care about the cash.

I was 19 then and traveling by myself for the first time. I've gotten better since about keeping track of my stuff, though I still lose and forget things pretty frequently. I've developed a checking routine for everything I need when I leave the house so I don't often forget or lose those things, but as soon as I get back to my room I'll set something down and then almost immediately forget where I left it. It's unbelievably frustrating!

I think that's why, while I pretty much agree with everyone here, I might be approaching this topic from a little bit different of a place in that I think it's important for me to take responsibility for my own issues with losing things. That doesn't mean I think it's okay for other people to take advantage of my propensity to lose things, but my side is the only one I can control.

• Upvote 7

9 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

It sure as hell is illegal if you have no objective reasons to think it's been abandoned.  In law (at least where I practice), if you find something that's not yours and take it, you're a thief.  

Coincidentally, I just prosecuted a gentleman who took lengths of plastic piping left in an industrial scrubland - he said he thought they were abandoned.  He was found guilty of theft at the end of trial.  

Seriously, this is not some kind of vague ethical puzzle. It is what it is. If you take something - especially something valuable - that you happen to find, without making reasonable efforts to return it to its owner, you've committed a theft. You broke the law. I'm not saying that you have to fly to Hong Kong and search for two years to return a toothpick to its rightful owner. I'm not saying that if you found a cool frisbee in the park when you were 12 and decided to keep it you should be thrown in jail. I'm literally just stating what the law is. And frankly, it should be common sense that if you find something potentially valuable, it probably belongs to somebody else, and you should absolutely not keep it for yourself! If you don't know what to do with it, turn it in to the police.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3

1 minute ago, Rachel333 said:

. I've developed a checking routine for everything I need when I leave the house so I don't often forget or lose those things, but as soon as I get back to my room I'll set something down and then almost immediately forget where I left it. It's unbelievably frustrating!

Same, I gave up and literally lock my keys to my body. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jigsaw3 said:

I worked at a resort and at one point management had to explain to the staff how lost and found worked. As in, you WORK here. If you find something, your JOB is to bring it to the front desk (for valuables) or the lost-and-found bin (for clothes etc.) We had a bit of a finders keepers thing going on when staff found something nice that a guest had left behind, and we had to make it clear that finders keepers only applied AFTER the guest had had a chance to retrieve the item.

Ooh, that's frustrating. I once left my stuff in a hostel room (which I had booked for several more nights) and when I came back it was gone. I knew it wasn't a safe place to leave things which is why I kept my most valuable things, like my computer, with me and only left some extra clothes. I talked to staff and they took me to the lost and found, where I only found some of the things I had left behind. It made it obvious that someone had sorted through my clothes and taken the things they wanted. I guess I'm lucky that I'm an odd size so my pants didn't fit anyone!

• Upvote 6

I've never once heard of a formal "lost-and-found" existing where I live (Chile). I think that in some contexts, this is actually a legal grey area. You could try to turn an item in to a business (and we did get things from time to time when I worked in a bar), but I would never want to take up time or resources on going to the police for something like a lost coat. It would be laughable to think anything would come of that, and probably laughable to even try. But, here moral games/questions are more like... "if you saw someone injured in the street, would you help," not "If you found a wallet in the street, would you turn it in to the police." I don't want to extrapolate too much, but I feel that moral stakes may just be like that when commonplace state-sanctioned violence is part of living memory. Obviously, this wouldn't be the case in most of the US or Canada or in many other places, but I don't think it necessarily always makes sense to go to great lengths (like to the police) to return an item. Sometimes just looking or asking around a little bit might be enough. 

All of that said, stealing is bad and I don't want to do mental gymnastics to justify it. Heck, I have a really nice scarf that I got out of my old work's lost and found (this was in the US- it had been there for months and was about to be donated to Goodwill), and I still feel a twinge of guilt about that. I was also caught stealing from a store in a mall once as a teen, but that was about A LOT of things, including stealing. I whole-heartedly feel bad about that.

Sierra has hinted at having risky pregnancies or births in past Instagram comments, but I don't really see where we're getting the impression that she might be pregnant again? She likely will be sooner or later, but I'm just not seeing it.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

I don't want to extrapolate too much, but I feel that moral stakes may just be like that when commonplace state-sanctioned violence is part of living memory. Obviously, this wouldn't be the case in most of the US or Canada or in many other places, but I don't think it necessarily always makes sense to go to great lengths (like to the police) to return an item.

I'm showing my privilege in that I didn't think of this before, but there are a lot of people even (or maybe especially) in the US who have good reason to fear any interactions with the police.

And yeah, it looks like it's not actually a simple legal issue, and it also depends on whether an item is lost or mislaid. In any case, though, the person who originally owned the item definitely has the main claim to it; the legal issues come in when the original owner isn't known.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I don’t get the fundie attitude of, “this pregnancy may kill the mother, but let’s keep breeding!!” So much for pro life, it puts zero value on the mother’s life. And zero consideration for how it would impact the existing kids and her husband. It’s always heartbreaking when you hear about a child losing a parent. And then leaving a husband to manage the care for a bunch of children plus his job at once. Day care isn’t cheap, especially when multiple kids are involved. I just don’t get why life doesn’t matter after it exits the womb.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 6

I have found and kept loose cash, the biggest amount being a 500 SKR bill (roughly 75 dollars) but they have all been on the road with no one around so impossible to look for an owner. 

• Upvote 5

I think sometimes it is things that we lose that might seem so small or insignificant to others, but have a huge value to one self. I lost a small stone turtle in London (or on the way there) in March, and while the value itself is not very high, I got it on the Galapagos Islands, so it is not like I can just pop back there and buy a new one, and it was a sort of talisman (and I lost it :( ) and therefor I was emotionally attached to it.

I would've been very grateful if someone would've turned it into Lost and Found, but it wasn't turned in (I either lost it at Munich airport, but I only had my wallet out on one place, and thats where I last saw it), or when I arrived in London and picked up some cash, my metro ticket or when I checked into the hotel. I retraced my steps to every place, wrote to lost and found, had the tourist info called up where I bought my ticket, and filled out online forms, and it wasn't turned it.

I hope whoever found it is taking good care of it. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 7

@Coconut Flan I know you are SEVERELY busy (actually), but can we change the thread title? There aren't actually pregnancy rumors regarding Sierra yet. Maybe "Still using the flip phone of shame" or associated to FJ-user thread drift, "Finders Keepers?"

• I Agree 3

21 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@Born Skeptic in the previous thread said:  

So, if I go back and someone has, indeed, found it and taken it without turning it in to an info desk/lost-and-found/reception/etc., that someone is, indeed, a thief

Just because something is THERE doesn't mean it's FREE for the taking.

Keep your mitts of what's not yours. Period.

From my original post:

If you are careless enough to leave valuable items behind (multiple times!), perhaps you are careless enough to not know where you lost/left your item?  Why should everyone else just accept that you know exactly where you left it?  Perhaps it is "gone" when you go back for it because that isn't where you lost/left it? 

Leaping to the conclusion that someone is a thief simply because you can not find an item that you lost is just a way to avoid responsibility for your own action - or inaction in losing track of your belongings.  Your sunglasses may have been crushed or broken by someone inadvertently sitting on them.  Your hoodie may have fallen to the floor of the public bathroom and been thrown away as a cleaning rag.  Or, news flash, you may have left your items somewhere else.  If you are absent minded enough to forget to take your items with you perhaps you are absent minded in remembering where you saw the item last?

• Upvote 2
  • Move Along 7
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 2

@Born Skeptic -

In my case, I know EXACTLY where I left my hoodie, and even went so far as to post a craigslist ad in Springfield offering a reward for its return. I've never lost anything else of significant value, ever. It was a momentary lapse, so...

You are a piece of work. Keep trying to rationalize taking stuff that's not yours. Eventually, you'll convince yourself that you're not a thief if you take something that doesn't belong to you.

8 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

I have found and kept loose cash, the biggest amount being a 500 SKR bill (roughly 75 dollars) but they have all been on the road with no one around so impossible to look for an owner. 

I found a $1 bill in the grocery store and turned it in to the customer service counter. I don't keep shit that's not mine. Ever.

• Upvote 4
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@Born Skeptic -

In my case, I know EXACTLY where I left my hoodie, and even went so far as to post a craigslist ad in Springfield offering a reward for its return. I've never lost anything else of significant value, ever. It was a momentary lapse, so...

You are a piece of work. Keep trying to rationalize taking stuff that's not yours. Eventually, you'll convince yourself that you're not a thief if you take something that doesn't belong to you.

I found a $1 bill in the grocery store and turned it in to the customer service counter. I don't keep shit that's not mine. Ever.

Ahhh - No.  Obviously you aren't really reading what I wrote.  I am in no way "rationalizing taking stuff" that's not mine.  I am pointing out that it is presumptuous (and rather obnoxious) to call people thieves because you forgot / lost a personal item that you consider valuable.  I'll say it again: Leaping to the conclusion that someone is a thief simply because you can not find an item that you lost is just a way to avoid responsibility for your own action - or inaction in losing track of your belongings.  Yes, in an ideal world, we would forget an item and it would be sitting exactly where we think we lost it when we come back for it.  Unfortunately, in the real world, there are memory lapses, broken or damaged items, janitorial removal, or numerous other explanations.  I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt and not assume that they are thieves.  Your are welcome to make your own assumptions

• Upvote 3
  • Move Along 2

Once,I found a $5 dollar bill on the warehouse floor,at work.I turned it in to the Security desk.

Another time,at work,in the ladies room,I found $10 dollars,when I saw it,I asked the woman who had been in the stall before me,if it was hers.She said it was and thanked me.

When I got the call about my youngest son's accident,I was at work,at an employee sale.Someone came and called out my name,I had to a call on the phone from the hospital chaplin.I had a jacket that day,but lost it,I have no idea what became of it,all I cared about was getting to the hospital as fast as I could...I just knew...

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

Twice, yes twice, we have found $100 bills. Once my husband found one in a parking lot. He turned it in, immediately, to the receptionist in the building.. Once I found one in an amusement park. A crowd of people were just walking away. It was easy to go to them and ask if they'd lost any money. A guy checked his pocket and said, "My $100!" His girlfriend took it from me and said, "I'm going to hold on to it now."

That said, if there's no one around (like by the side of the road), and no clue who owns it, what are you going to do but keep it? I don't see the big deal with that.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

Last month, after a 14 hour shift I found a cellphone in the bathroom at the airport. I decided that, if left behind, it would probably be taken, and I did not know how long it had been there. I brought it to the info counter one floor up (literally the stairs were right there) and got a piece of paper, writing down that I had handed it in at the info counter upstairs, putting one piece of paper up right at the bathroom entrance and one at the entrance of the stall..

Just when I was finished putting up the paper, a girl came running my way thanking me for handing in her phone. Apperantly she had figured out she had left it there and came back, whilst I had brought it to the info. While I walked back down to put up the signs, she went upstairs, and the guy told her I was about to put it up, so she came back down, and saw me. 

It was a coincidence that we still met up, and she probably would've found the phone, seeing as she came back just moments after I brought the phone upstairs, but I think it is always difficult to know wheter somebody remembers where he last saw something and when he'll be back. And whilst I like to believe the best in everyone, not everybody would leave the phone there.

On the other hand, if we find something thats left in the plane, it always has to be unloaded (for security reasons) anyways, but it depends on what it is. (the ramp agent probably wouldn't make a big effort to reunite a package of candy, or an obviously already read book with its owner, whereas glasses, hearing aids, electronics etc are marked with the place where they were found and brought to lost and found) 

A couple of weeks ago, I found an IPad left in a seatpocket. I ran down to the bus, and asked the bus driver to make an announcement. 

There were quite a few people claiming to have left their IPad. Yeah, right.

The actual owner was able to tell me the background image (photo of his daughter, standing next to him IRL at that moment) and therefor was identified. He was really grateful, but I was so miffed at the people claiming they just lost the IPad. Did you really think I'd just hand it over to the first person who said he/she lost it without doublechecking? Seriously?! I think those two things happened within days of each other. Sometimes it is very hard to have faith in humanity.

• Upvote 20
  • Love 1

My uncle purchased a beautiful expensive bracelet for his daughter for Christmas one year, it was too big, so he brought it back and exchanged it at the Jewelers. He went to go get some things from the grocery store that was in the same mall area as the jewelry store and you know what happened. He left it in the cart. He was so upset with himself and when he got home there was a message on his machine, the kid picking up carts found the bag and turned it into the jewelry store. My uncle was so happy that he went back and rewarded the kid picking up the carts for being so honest. The kid didn't want to take the money but eventually did, 

It's not always being careless that causes you to lose something. Sometimes it just falls out of your pocket or off your wrist/throat/fingers. Stuff happens, I would turn anything that I found in. It doesn't belong to me and I should not keep it. Even if the person never comes back for it, I did my part in turning it in.   

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 2

I have found money countless times. If I find it at a place of business, I turn it into them. If it's a substantial bit of money on the street, I turn it into the police. If it's a lesser amount found on the street, I generally use it to pay it forward (pay for the coffee order behind me or something). I think it's just common sense that if it's not yours - don't touch it. 

• Upvote 7

My mom forgets things all the time when she goes out because she has dementia.  She labels her things because she knows she's forgetful.  Usually people return her jackets, bags, etcetera.  Thank God people - especially in my small hometown - aren't all driven by greed.  

• Upvote 12
  • Love 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic