IGNORED

Sierra 2: Pregnancy Rumors Again?

Coconut Flan

@SapphireSlytherin the Primark building was a Belfast landmark. It's so very sad to see it destroyed. Hopefully they may be able to rebuild the facade as they did once before.

I never think to hand things in to the police as I'm afraid of them. However I recently found a mobile phone and overcame my anxiety to hand it in at a local station in London. They wouldn't take it and offered no alternative. Fortunately I found it near a Sainsbury's and they agreed to take it in at their lost and found.

If I find money I give it to charity if there is no mechanism for finding out whose it is. If I lose money I hope it was found by someone who needed it.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, tankgirl said:

In regards to phones we found a few, one in particular in the back of a cab, leaving a huge weekend event to go back to our hotel, the second night of three. The cab driver really did not want to deal with the phone when we suggested he take it, so we looked on the phone for "mom" and called. It turns out, it was a disabled man, who had been searching for his phone desperately and needed his phone. We arranged to meet friends, who thanked us so much, because he was worried he wasnt ghoing t o get the phone back. We have called two other phones, one called us right back, and we got the phones all to the right owners. Its harder with passcodes these days, but we still try to call the last call or Mom every time, and it has worked.

before the time when everyone had lock codes on their phones, I would always call "home" or "mom" too. When my ex and I were in Germany, we found a phone in the commissary parking lot. We called "home", and it turned out to be the (stateside) mom of a single soldier... she called his command, who got in touch with him, and he was able to get it back. 

I left mine sitting on the toilet paper thing of a mall bathroom when my son was little- I set it down while I was helping him go potty. It was only 15 minutes or so before I realized it, but it was gone. The worst part is a teenaged girl found it and was using it... When I went online to freeze it or whatever, I could see that she had added all her friends names and stuff onto my contacts, and I could see her texts and stuff. I didn't have another phone, but I messaged the numbers she had called asking them to have her at least email me the pictures of my son, but of course I never got at answer :(

• Sad 10

A tip for iphones is to set up your emergency contact info. From the lock screen click the home button, obviously it wont recognise your fingerprint. Bottom left says “emergency call”, tap that. The next screen reads medical id, tap on that and it shows you info about the person if they have it set up. I have mine with relevant medical info, as well as my husbands number and my mums number linked.

c5745283f5dc622776c779f4c62d9915.png

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5

5 minutes ago, kiwi said:

A tip for iphones is to set up your emergency contact info. From the lock screen click the home button, obviously it wont recognise your fingerprint. Bottom left says “emergency call”, tap that. The next screen reads medical id, tap on that and it shows you info about the person if they have it set up. I have mine with relevant medical info, as well as my husbands number and my mums number linked.

Yes! I filled out our information and I know my phone and my husband's phones are current but this is a good reminder to check my kids' phones. I am pretty sure they have gotten new phones since I initially set it up and I have no idea if their information is on their current phones or no. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/27/2018 at 4:56 AM, HarryPotterFan said:

I don’t get the fundie attitude of, “this pregnancy may kill the mother, but let’s keep breeding!!” So much for pro life, it puts zero value on the mother’s life. And zero consideration for how it would impact the existing kids and her husband. It’s always heartbreaking when you hear about a child losing a parent. And then leaving a husband to manage the care for a bunch of children plus his job at once. Day care isn’t cheap, especially when multiple kids are involved. I just don’t get why life doesn’t matter after it exits the womb.

God, yes. I was extremely glad to hear my mother-in-law - who is not stupid but does have some quite foolish fundie notions - talking about a woman who suffers from hyperemesis very badly, 'well her husband always wanted a huge family but if he loves her he's going to have to give up on that idea'. I feel sad that I was surprised.

• Upvote 4

The local girls high school here (in new zealand), has been running weekend classes (normally only a couple of hours mid morning on a Saturday) for:
* car maintenance (oil, water, changing tyres, how to wash a car correctly)
* first aid
* cv’s (including formal job interview strategies - those stupid questions they ask, that no body knows how to answer!)
* self defence
* basic shopping, meal prep and cooking
* taxes, budgeting

My girls are a wee way away from high school, but I was really impressed. It should technically be something parents teach, but so good that the school is taking on the challenge.

You can’t teach what you don’t know! My dad is not very conventionally masculine so he never taught me practical car stuff for example.
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, FeministFunPolice said:

You can’t teach what you don’t know! My dad is not very conventionally masculine so he never taught me practical car stuff for example.

You also can't assume "practical car stuff" is a dad's bailiwick. GryffindorDisappointment's father could barely figure out how to put gas in a car. I did the oil changes, tire rotations, other basic maintenance on our daily drivers.

When I married Mr.Slytherin, we started spending massive amounts of time in the garage with the kid, where we BOTH taught her "car stuff." I've also rebuilt two engines and converted a 4-banger to a screamin' V8. I can weld, too.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

33 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

You also can't assume "practical car stuff" is a dad's bailiwick. GryffindorDisappointment's father could barely figure out how to put gas in a car. I did the oil changes, tire rotations, other basic maintenance on our daily drivers.

When I married Mr.Slytherin, we started spending massive amounts of time in the garage with the kid, where we BOTH taught her "car stuff." I've also rebuilt two engines and converted a 4-banger to a screamin' V8. I can weld, too.

Serious question, where did you find time for so many hobbies? I feel like working, having a toddler, and just trying to do all the "have to's" of life (grocery, laundry, etc.) takes up all my time until I'm just exhausted by the time my kid is in bed. Im trying to plan a 3 day mini vacation and I barely have 10 minutes a day to work on it. You just always have such interesting experiences. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

Fair call. My mum has heaps of practical skills she has taught me, so clearly it’s just that my dad is a bit useless!
  • Love 1

On 8/27/2018 at 7:18 PM, neurogirl said:

@Coconut Flan I know you are SEVERELY busy (actually), but can we change the thread title? There aren't actually pregnancy rumors regarding Sierra yet. Maybe "Still using the flip phone of shame" or associated to FJ-user thread drift, "Finders Keepers?"

But she just announced she has a new phone number, so I doubt she's using a flip phone of shame

1 hour ago, Daisy0322 said:

Serious question, where did you find time for so many hobbies?

Well, first of all - I no longer have a toddler. I have a married adult child. lol

But we make time for what we want to do (travel, mostly - we just got home yesterday from Vegas/Zion National Park/Bryce Canyon/Grand Canyon).

We generally don't watch TV (I binged six episodes of the new season of Ozark on the plane, though).

We don't eat out much - generally breakfast on a Saturday or Sunday is our limit because eating out is EXPENSIVE.

We don't go to movies or clubs or bars. We might see one movie per year... maybe two, depending on what's showing.

We meal plan/prep every Sunday, spending about 30 minutes planning and an hour or so shopping, then 3-4 relaxing hours on a Sunday afternoon/evening cooking and packing meals for the upcoming week.

As for chores in the house, I have a list, broken out by days:

• Monday:  bathrooms
  • Tuesday:  dust
  • Wednesday:  vacuum
  • Thursday:  sweep/mop
  • Saturday or Sunday:  mow the yard, change the bed linens

My days are very regimented. I'm pretty sure I'm (undiagnosed) firmly somewhere on the autism spectrum - likely toward the Aspy end (I flap, I'm clumsy, I'm hyper-sensitive to noises, if a tag in one of my shirts touches my skin - that's all I can focus on until I cut it out, etc.).

This is my typical day:

When I get up, I unload the dishwasher (it runs overnight). When I walk in the door after work (M-F), I sort the mail and recycle the junk/envelopes and shred anything that needs shredding - bills go on DH's desk (he handles the money in our house). Then I go straight to the basement where I start a load of laundry then scoop the cat boxes. After that, I start on the daily chores (listed above). When I'm done, I change into my PJ's and relax while we cook/eat dinner. I move the wet clothes to the dryer and sometimes start/finish a second load of laundry that night. I fold everything straight out of the dryer, sorted into various laundry baskets (mine, his, linens). After supper (DH actually does the cooking, but I'll help with prep) I clean the kitchen and load the dishwasher; DH feeds the cats just before we go to bed and I sweep the floor at the same time then start the dishwasher.

I pay someone to wash/vacuum/clean the glass in my car every couple of weeks - there's a mobile wash service that comes to my work. For oil changes on my current car (it's under warranty), I go to the dealer - it's about 30 minutes and I schedule those appointments several weeks in advance, then work my work schedule around them. Same for my hair appointments. lol

Saturdays are our "play days" where we putter with the cars, wander around and take pics, go bike riding, browse thrift shops, etc. I also spend one or two weekends a month at my dad's house, taking care of stuff for him. Those dates are planned well in advance so we know when we have to be there, and when we can "play" by ourselves.

As I said - it's highly regimented, but it works for us, and it gets things DONE. My house stays (mostly) clean enough for drop-in visitors (which I despise).

Edited by SapphireSlytherin
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 2

@SapphireSlytherin a lot if that is actually something we could really use, thank you! I'm not sure I can be that methodical but I like the cleaning schedule and I think doing some meal prep one day a week would help tremendously.  Also since my husband is working full time and going to school full time he's going about 7 am to 9 pm Monday through Friday so I think once he's done this fall and graduates and we split some of the house stuff up I'll have more time. That and like you said you no longer have a toddler haha.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

but I like the cleaning schedule and I think doing some meal prep one day a week would help tremendously.

The cleaning schedule saves my sanity. It's less than an hour a day (and honestly, about 30 minutes is all it takes unless I decide to scrub the bathroom grout with a toothbrush and bleach - which is rare, but when it happens all bets are off... lol).

And meal planning/prep is a huge time AND money-saver. I browse the sale ads in the paper and plan our menu based around what's on sale/in season. Good luck. :) 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, BunnyBee said:

Did anyone else see Sierra's gender equality rant on Instagram? She was also mowing the yard in a tank top!

Not gonna lie, I saw it and I LOVED IT. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BunnyBee said:

Did anyone else see Sierra's gender equality rant on Instagram? She was also mowing the yard in a tank top!

You (or anybody else) feel like recapping? I just looked at her Instagram story and holy crap, there's like 10 parts. Definitely won't be playing all that while Mr. O is lying next to me in bed or he'll think I've gone completely insane. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 4

@JillyOHer and her husband (I think his name is Mark), are partners.  They are not bound by societal gender rules. She does what she's good at and he does what he's good at.  She mows the lawn because she likes the lines that she makes on the grass*, and is the go to person in the family for fixing plumbing problems, etc.  Mark changes diapers.  Sierra's father and mother raised her to think she can do anything/whatever she wants.  

I don't  have a pet fundy, but I do kind of like Sierra.  She seems to admit to having life issues and doesn't seem to pretend her life is easy/problem free because  "God".  

*This reminds me SOOO much about my brother in law.  He mows his lawn with perfect lines as well, but he also does the vacuuming for the same reason.  The lines on the carpet have to be straight or he will re-do them (I've seen this after their cleaning lady left and he wasn't  happy with the lines she left).

Edited by SamiKatz
  • Upvote 14

15 hours ago, BunnyBee said:

Yes! Just came here to see. I loved it! She was assertive, she wasn’t coherent, she was clearly *mad* at people saying she should be barefoot in the kitchen because she has six kids and it was funny to boot. 

• Upvote 8

I have to say, I was rather distracted by all of the camera angles and facial expressions, but I was impressed with what she was saying.

Do we know if she is still close with the Duggar girls? Seems to me like they have VERY different views on the subject...

• Upvote 9

She had me from the moment she said she was mowing due to he judgy neighbor walking his cocker spaniel

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

*was coherent, obviously. Not wasn't. The camera angles were a bit confusing, though I loved the super-closeup on "THEY'RE.HIS.KIDS.TOO." 

• Haha 4

But she says: “My point is this: we don’t want gender equality, we want a teammate.” ???

i was rooting for her at the beginning of the video but then I got confused/distracted by her message and the weird facial expressions/tone changes. (Why can’t you want gender equality AND a teammate???) 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, brusselsgriffon said:

But she says: “My point is this: we don’t want gender equality, we want a teammate.” ???

i was rooting for her at the beginning of the video but then I got confused/distracted by her message and the weird facial expressions/tone changes. (Why can’t you want gender equality AND a teammate???) 

I haven't watched the video yet (I promise I will at some point), but that sounds interesting!

So, does it sound like she's all in with fundie biblical complementarianism, or no? I get the impression that she is, but that this is still a good thing for her to explore on her platform (makes me think of Ben's nod toward racism being a problem that exists a few years ago).

Also, is completementarianism between genders something we'd generally think is bad here? Im inclined to think it's inherently sexist and oppressive, but I don't want to offend any Christians here by not being respectful of the concept.

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic