IGNORED

Sierra 2: Pregnancy Rumors Again?

Coconut Flan

When I worked in a movie theater, people lost and found so many things. Flashlights. Silverware. Keys (for some reason, people never seemed to come back for keys). An off duty cop left A LITERAL HANDGUN once. That was a turning point in how I feel about the police, to be honest. I was supervising at the time and was furious (I'm sure the general and district managers, who I needed to wake up, were too). Luckily, the usher who found it and I both knew how to handle a gun, but thinking about that still makes me nervous.

People (employees and guests) turned cash in to lost and found all the time. We'd just put it in an envelope with date, time, etc on it and people would sometimes come back for it. We got a lot of phone calls about people leaving iphones, etc, but it was really easy to sort out the fakers.

• Upvote 9

My propensity for losing stuff is why I never buy expensive sunglasses, water bottles, or cardigans. I lose all of those things all the damn time, so if I slip up in my quest to be less absentminded and end up losing those items, I'm not out a ridiculous amount of money. People literally across the globe are probably enjoying my cheap-ass sunglasses, water bottles, and cardigans as we speak. Sometimes I still think of you, Maroon Old Navy Cardigan I Accidentally Left On A Chair At Starbucks And Didn't Realize Was Lost Until Like Three Hours Later And By That Point It Was Gone. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

14 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

why I never buy expensive sunglasses

I don't buy expensive sunglasses because I'm always putting my sunglasses into the bottom of my purse, in my car's console, lens-down on hard surfaces, etc. The lenses get scratched to hell and back and I don't care, because I don't pay more than $3-$4 per pair.

I stock up at Primark every trip to the UK (my current favorite/least scratched pair set me back a whopping 50p) or from street vendors in NYC. 

• Upvote 7

12 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I stock up at Primark every trip to the UK (my current favorite/least scratched pair set me back a whopping 50p) or from street vendors in NYC. 

Love Primark, they have a good selection of Harry Potter merchandise too.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

If I find something I alway return items to a lost and found or I'll pick it up and put it where it can be seen if it's a park or something. I've only found money 1 time though it was 20$ and I looked around to see if anyone dropped it but didn't find anyone. I was  young and at the time so broke I wasI was a waitress and only got to eat some days by eating left overs from tables that didn't finish thier meals. So I'm not proud that I kept it instead of giving it to the manager but I like to think I'd make a different decision today.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

I'm awful for breaking and leaving sunglasses. I think each of my friends that I have visited have a pair of my sunglasses. I buy them cheap and leave them around! Hopefully some day I will learn not to leave them! 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

@Glasgowghirl I almost always end up checking a bag on our return trips from the UK to the States to hold all my HP purchases! lol BTW - Primark is called Penneys in Ireland. I had no idea it was actually Primark until I went inside and saw the brown shopping bags that are identical to th Primark bags. 

And if I had to list every Harry Potter thing I've bought at Primark (and Penneys) I'd be here a LONG time. But I am wearing my Slytherin pajamas that I got in Dublin in May. lol

Aside:  I heard about the tremendous fire at a Primark in Belfast. So sad - it looked to be such a lovely building. :(

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

An off duty cop left A LITERAL HANDGUN once.

Well that was incredibly irresponsible.

I don't generally judge people for losing things since I do it all the time, but I will judge someone who leaves a gun behind, particularly if that person is a police officer. JFC.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 7

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Well that was incredibly irresponsible.

I don't generally judge people for losing things since I do it all the time, but I will judge someone who leaves a gun behind, particularly if that person is a police officer. JFC.

Yeah, I know it sounds like a crazy internet story, but I swear it happened. It was in a faux leather zipper bag that looked like a toiletry kit, with extra rounds of ammunition (terminology?) and various licenses. The district manager told me to contact the police and they came and got it the same night. At the time I felt guilty, wondering how the guy might be punished. It's so weird for me looking back on that feeling, as I've certainly changed over the years. This happened on the cusp of Black Lives Matter/Blue Lives Matter movements getting big, and I don't know. My head was in a very different place and I'd feel very differently if I was in that position now. All I was thinking about was the Dark Knight Rises shooting, which had happened recently.

My opinion on it now is that it's  just a true, harmless experience from US gun culture, I guess.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, NakedKnees said:

Yeah, I know it sounds like a crazy internet story, but I swear it happened. It was in a faux leather zipper bag that looked like a toiletry kit, with extra rounds of ammunition (terminology?) and various licenses. The district manager told me to contact the police and they came and got it the same night. At the time I felt guilty, wondering how the guy might be punished. It's so weird for me looking back on that feeling, as I've certainly changed over the years. This happened on the cusp of Black Lives Matter/Blue Lives Matter movements getting big, and I don't know. My head was in a very different place and I'd feel very differently if I was in that position now. All I was thinking about was the Dark Knight Rises shooting, which had happened recently.

My opinion on it now is that it's  just a true, harmless experience from US gun culture, I guess.

I completely believe you because I have read multiple similar stories. This sheriff left his gun in a middle school, this police officer set a gun against a car and a child walked by, and here's an article from several years ago about how many similar incidents there are.

• Thank You 3

Two things I still think about.  When I was about 6 years old, I was walking home though a deserted field with my siblings and I found an old 20 dollar bill.  It was completely faded and must have been there for a very long time.  This would have been the early 1970s, and $20 was a shit-ton of money back then.  I have no idea what I did with it, but just remember the feeling of being so excited to have spotted it!

Years later, I was a teenager, with my siblings again. We were at the mall and had each gotten money for Christmas. I had about $90 with me.  At some point, I realized that it was gone.  It was so upsetting---I don't know if it fell out of my bag or if someone took it.  Each of my siblings gave me a bit of their own Christmas money to help make up for it.  I am very lucky in the sibling department.

I have also found money & wallets as an adult.  I always turn them in. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 6

On 8/28/2018 at 9:31 PM, SeekingAdventure said:

A couple of weeks ago, I found an IPad left in a seatpocket. I ran down to the bus, and asked the bus driver to make an announcement. 

There were quite a few people claiming to have left their IPad. Yeah, right.

That’s horrible! Who does that? I know I already confessed to keeping cash I find if there is no way to tell who the owner is. But actually trying to scam yourself in to someone elses ipad? 

And such a stupid scam as well. Obviously the real owner would be able to tell you something personal about their ipad. (Even if I can’t actually remember what background I have on mine.)

On 8/28/2018 at 11:51 PM, Daisy0322 said:

If I find something I alway return items to a lost and found or I'll pick it up and put it where it can be seen if it's a park or something. I've only found money 1 time though it was 20$ and I looked around to see if anyone dropped it but didn't find anyone. I was  young and at the time so broke I wasI was a waitress and only got to eat some days by eating left overs from tables that didn't finish thier meals. So I'm not proud that I kept it instead of giving it to the manager but I like to think I'd make a different decision today.  

How many people come back for cash though? If I realise I’ve lost cash (and I have probably lost more then I have ever found) I almost never know where I lost it or when and it wouldn’t be worth my time to go around everywhere to try to get it back.

I actually just hope whoever finds it needed it or does something fun with it. 

One of my friends kept helself in bikes all through highschool by turning bikes she found abandoned in to the police and then getting them after some time when no one came to claim them. Some of them were really nice and expensive bikes. 

On 8/28/2018 at 11:53 PM, Carm_88 said:

I'm awful for breaking and leaving sunglasses. I think each of my friends that I have visited have a pair of my sunglasses. I buy them cheap and leave them around! Hopefully some day I will learn not to leave them! 

If you leave enough behind, some day you will start finding them again! 

• Upvote 5

@Iamtheway i think all the words i would choose for these people would have to be censored. smh!

even if he wouldn't have known the background image, i wouldn't just have handed it over to the first person saying it's theirs. type in the code, if there is no code name apps movies whatever. so many ways to identify the owner. 

it's more difficult with money and i probably wouldn't go back for 5€/$ etc but for 100/200?

i'd try.

• Upvote 4

On 8/27/2018 at 5:11 AM, NakedKnees said:

But, here moral games/questions are more like... "if you saw someone injured in the street, would you help," not "If you found a wallet in the street, would you turn it in to the police." I don't want to extrapolate too much, but I feel that moral stakes may just be like that when commonplace state-sanctioned violence is part of living memory.

Ignoring an injured person is punishable by law where I live. Still our paramedics say the the worst place to have a heart attack at is the main town square, it takes ages (well about 10min according to studies, more than enough time to die) before somebody checks on you. They usually assume you'r just a drunnk homeless person. There was one famous case where a person collapsed right at the entrance of a McDonalds. It took an hour before somebody checked on him, there were tapes of people  stepping over him. Anyway I'm rambling, I have no faith in humanity anymore.

Anyway people hesitate to check up on somebody or call an ambulance, or they just form a circle around that person and stare, or they help and honestly forget to call, or think somebody else has, so always check. I wasn't aware of this before I went to university, but now I call the ambulance quite frequently, people really do forget.

• Upvote 4

Yikes, I'd check with them first. If it's not a true medical emergency there are a lot of people who will take a taxi or Uber instead of an ambulance. That's a few thousand bucks right there. I have really good insurance and a medically necessary ambulance ride set us back ~$800. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

Yikes, I'd check with them first. If it's not a true medical emergency there are a lot of people who will take a taxi or Uber instead of an ambulance. That's a few thousand bucks right there. I have really good insurance and a medically necessary ambulance ride set us back ~$800. 

That's really only an issue in the US, though.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

Ignoring an injured person is punishable by law where I live. Still our paramedics say the the worst place to have a heart attack at is the main town square, it takes ages (well about 10min according to studies, more than enough time to die) before somebody checks on you. They usually assume you'r just a drunnk homeless person. There was one famous case where a person collapsed right at the entrance of a McDonalds. It took an hour before somebody checked on him, there were tapes of people  stepping over him. Anyway I'm rambling, I have no faith in humanity anymore.

Anyway people hesitate to check up on somebody or call an ambulance, or they just form a circle around that person and stare, or they help and honestly forget to call, or think somebody else has, so always check. I wasn't aware of this before I went to university, but now I call the ambulance quite frequently, people really do forget.

When I learned first aid, they said that if you're taking the lead on helping a person, never say "someone call 911" because no one will; instead point to someone and say "you -- guy in the blue shirt, call 911". 

Also, I think people need to be more aware of Good Samaritan Laws. A lot of people might be afraid of getting sued or falsely accused of something if they help and it goes badly. There are also people who might assume that someone in distress is pulling some scam, like generating a distraction for a bag thief/pickpocket (which is terrible, and makes the scammers even more scummy because they make people doubt genuine cases). 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

Well first I make sure they are still breathing and concious, so of course I talk to them first.

Ambulances don't cost you anything where I'm from.

And when it comes to doctors, apart from morals, it is my responsibilty to check anytime I see something.

• Upvote 1

On 9/1/2018 at 3:28 PM, nastyhobbitses said:

Also, I think people need to be more aware of Good Samaritan Laws. A lot of people might be afraid of getting sued or falsely accused of something if they help and it goes badly

This is another thing we always tell people. If somebody needs CPR and you do nothing and just wait for the ambulance to arrive, they're dead. So you can't make the situation worse, There's a chance you might break a few ribs, but better than death..

Public spaces usually have full automatic defibrillators, again they won't shock somebody if they have a regular heart beat, so you can't do anything wrong with those either.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, squiddysquid said:

This is another thing we always tell people. If somebody needs CPR and you do nothing and just wait for the ambulance to arrive, they're dead. So you can't make the situation worse, There's a chance you might break a few ribs, but better than death..

Public spaces usually have full automatic defibrillators, again they won't shock somebody if they have a regular heart beat, so you can't do anything wrong with those either.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know this stuff. I think first aid classes should be mandatory in schools so that we get more people educated. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

I'd be all for life-skills classes being mandatory - 

first aid

changing a tire

topping up engine fluids

changing a door lock

replacing a toilet valve

repairing a sink faucet

changing engine oil

budgeting

These are SO much more important than knowing the correct way to write plural possessives.

Edited by SapphireSlytherin
  • Upvote 7
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

I have always been one to turn in things to lost and found (or if I see a person drop money I chase them to give it back).  I just think how I would feel if it were me, and I've had a camera stolen after I left it in a bathroom before - thankfully BEFORE the vacation started.

Coming back from my wedding, my newly soldered together wedding and engagement ring was too small for my ring finger and I had it on my pinky, which it was too large for.  I'd had it in my purse but my MOH's mother asked to see it so I had put it on... plus it was still pretty novel to be wearing it and admiring it, so I didn't put it away again.  It fell off my finger in the road next to the long term parking at the airport and I didn't realize it was missing for about 30 minutes.  I'd heard a clink but thought I'd just kicked a rock or something, until I realized it was gone and knew exactly what that sound had been.  My poor husband had to listen to a full out panic attack the whole way back to the airport.  He tried to say something reassuring about how we could get another one (not one like this, it was perfect) and I think I scream-sobbed "I LOST THE SYMBOL OF OUR LOVE" before hyperventilating some more.

When we got back, it had actually bounced up onto the grass next to the road and I found it in seconds.  I've always figured I used up years of good luck finding it again, because while I'd like to believe someone would turn it in... it cost a few thousand bucks with all three pieces.  I think there are a lot of people that would have kept it.  And I know I'm biased, but it is really the most beautiful piece.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

I'd be all for life-skills classes being mandatory - 
first aid
changing a tire
topping up engine fluids
changing a door lock
replacing a toilet valve
repairing a sink faucet
changing engine oil
budgeting

These are SO much more important than knowing the correct way to write plural possessives.

The local girls high school here (in new zealand), has been running weekend classes (normally only a couple of hours mid morning on a Saturday) for:
* car maintenance (oil, water, changing tyres, how to wash a car correctly)
* first aid
* cv’s (including formal job interview strategies - those stupid questions they ask, that no body knows how to answer!)
* self defence
* basic shopping, meal prep and cooking
* taxes, budgeting

My girls are a wee way away from high school, but I was really impressed. It should technically be something parents teach, but so good that the school is taking on the challenge.
  • Upvote 19
  • Love 1

In regards to phones we found a few, one in particular in the back of a cab, leaving a huge weekend event to go back to our hotel, the second night of three. The cab driver really did not want to deal with the phone when we suggested he take it, so we looked on the phone for "mom" and called. It turns out, it was a disabled man, who had been searching for his phone desperately and needed his phone. We arranged to meet friends, who thanked us so much, because he was worried he wasnt ghoing t o get the phone back. We have called two other phones, one called us right back, and we got the phones all to the right owners. Its harder with passcodes these days, but we still try to call the last call or Mom every time, and it has worked.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic