IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin 2: Divorce? What Divorce?

VaSportsMom

Okay, so I didn't know what Magnolia Pearl was so just looked.  Oh my!  All their clothes look like they came from the bottom of my mom's rag bag.  Like old worn out, un-ironed housecoats and dilapidated t-shirts. 

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Gwen's ex husband, David Shamblin, is being shunned by his kids? Would he be allowed to visit his grandchildren? From videos, I can tell that Elizabeth is 100% "all in" and being groomed to be Gwen 2.0, but Michael seems sensitive and I can imagine him possibly taking the divorce very hard.

48 minutes ago, OlderWiserMom said:

Okay, so I didn't know what Magnolia Pearl was so just looked.  Oh my!  All their clothes look like they came from the bottom of my mom's rag bag.  Like old worn out, un-ironed housecoats and dilapidated t-shirts. 

Very very overpriced rags.  My grandmothers would come back from the grave and whoop me for thinking about wearing those things!  

I never heard of Magnolia Pearl until I saw someone mention it here. Magnolia Pearl seems like an even more expensive version of Anthropologie except with neutral colors and off-whites.

4 hours ago, RFsurvivor said:

In the interest of any confused people who want to research Remnant, Weigh Down, Gwen, etc, I would ask that we be better people. I know I took part in poking some fun at dresses and appearances, but looking back, I do not think there is a benefit to making fun of them. From the perspective of a former member, I would not be able to see past the snark and see the truth about the cult tendencies of RF.

Myself and @RFSurvivor_2 are willing to answer questions to expose RF, but I would like to be a force for good and truth.  

Thank you love!

I also would like to encourage any and all new FJ members whom are also ex-RF, ex-WD or have been effected in any way by them. I would also like to open my arms to those who are "struggling" and would like to have answers. You are out there. You are not alone. All things come in time and we all understand if you are reluctant to share your experiences, ask questions are even, quite possibly, too afraid to even dive deep into this site. It took @RFsurvivor and I years to open up about it. Please step forward and share when you're ready. The more voices out there, the better.

@RFsurvivorand I understand that many of you have your varying opinions and comments about RF, the members, Gwen etc.
There is nothing wrong with expressing your opinion, however as we all know some opinions are considerably less effective and meaningful than others...

Let me explain further.

When @RFsurvivor and I were still in RF, we (separately) decided to dive in and research more about RF and Gwen because we started to "put the pieces together" so to speak. We knew that there was something (that we couldn't place at the time) seriously wrong with our lives. When we recognized this we slowly began to question what we believed in, who we were associating ourselves with, the purpose in our lives, where we were at in life and where we would've wanted to be in our lives. The fact that we began to "research" about varying opinons, sources and information about WD, RF, Gwen, the Smith trials, etc made us feel as if we were sinners who were betraying and turning on our god, Gwen, and "his church". Simply pushing past our mental brainwashing and programming alone took huge tolls on us. It effected us mentally, emotionally and physically. It effected our relationships and friendships on a deep level. We knew we were taking a huge step in an unknown frightening direction that we never experienced or encountered before.

During this time of learning and digging we experienced some of the most excuciating mental, emotional and physical battles. These battles involved seeking out the truth, dividing fact from fiction and extracting lies from truth. There were many aspects that made our journey difficult however, one of the major factors stood out to us (in relation to FJ) were the forums we stumbled upon.

With that being said...

Most of the websites and individuals who we reached out to and who shared their experiences with us were warm, caring, open, logical, reasonable and extremely effective. We couldn't argue with the facts that were presented to us. We also couldn't deny the fact that ex-members reached out to us and showed us genuine love. Now...There were some websites and individuals who expressed more "direct", abrasive, eyebrowraising opinions and feedback that at many times, "snapped" us back into the brainwashed mindset we were fighting to crawl out of. We reverted many times. We believed that those small select individuals represented ALL of the individuals we interface. We mentally grouped them all together into one big pile, accusing them of directly "attacking" us, our church and leader were "liars, and evil men/women". We refused to believe anything past that point, even though all of the evidence received through logic and reason was brilliantly presented to us.

I would hate for anyone who is seeking answers to come to this thread, read our posts and say/think "wow these people are just jerks" or "wow they are quite this and that" or "how dare they say those horrible things about our leader". We of course will not be able to completely prevent people from thinking this, however choice words and actions will help negate these types of reactions and thoughts down to an effective, meaningful minimum. Side comments, observations etc are fine and all but when those words spiral the thread, the original tone of said thread begins to rapidly loose traction and overall meaning.

Some would argue that we in no way have a moral obligation to  appease and appeal those outside this forum. Some would also say that "Oh @RFsurvivor and @RFSurvivor_2 are being too sensitive" or we are being "too unreasonable" or perhaps "too P.C". Hell, some would even justify some of the things said recently, stating that Gwen "deserves it" and the like. As ex-members we understand those points, truly we do. However, @RFsurvivor and I acknowledge and recognize that we could be better in our words and our responses here. The power of words starts from the mind, and mouth then ends in the heart. It all starts with us.

Disclaimer: We are not attempting to make this thread is not about @RFsurvivor and I. We have no intention of thread jacking and/or masqurading as admins (props to the admins, I don't know how y'all do it). We however would like to encourage the FJ members here to be more above reproach when it comes to your comments. As I type there are a lot of "inbetweeners" and "strugglers" in RF and WD that are reading this. In fact, I received word from one of my sources that this forum has been circulating throughout the church, which is rare seeing as leadership likes to keep these things close lipped.

We will work on being bigger and better individuals than what we are now with hopes that others who read these words will in return, reflect and do the same. We fully acknowledge the fact that Gwen and RF they have damaged us and that we have a long way to go as individuals to achieve emotional, mental and phyiscal stability. Even after being ex-members, we have been, once again hurt by them when they decided to turn our families against us. This is an evil and "low blow" tactic used to "punish" whoever speaks out against us. @SJWaterford and many like us have experienced this. We will recover and rise above this. We were hurt and angry however we see positives in this situation, despite how grim it seems. There is always hope and it starts with us opening the door.

Oh and one more thing:

We are in no way endorsing, condoning or diluting what Gwen has done in the past. We are also are not saying "be nice to Gwen" or "she doesn't deserve this", however we are giving a fair warning to those out there that every action and every word spoken comes at a consequence. The "Tedd Police", RF social media and outreach members are not the only ones reading this thread. Despite what Gwen has done and what @RFsurvivor and I personally despise her for, she is at the end of the day, an extremely flawed human being. We are better than this. We are better than her pettiness and evil schemes. She will soon realize that we are not going anywhere. The truth will set those who are seeking it, free!

2 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

I never heard of Magnolia Pearl until I saw someone mention it here. Magnolia Pearl seems like an even more expensive version of Anthropologie except with neutral colors and off-whites.

Those types of colors are extremely popular with RF women year round. As a memeber, for YEARS I would constantly pray for there to be more variety in the church as far as fashion was concerned for the women there. I felt as if they were just too bland, too unorignal, and way too uniform. RF men (luckily for me) had a considerably different and less controlling standard for dress vs the women there. Like may religions based on ancient practices and cultutes, RF is known for controlling women considerably more than men. From hair, style of dress, fashion, even down to personal hygine, arranged marriages (ugh, the stories I have about this), women had it bad there. @RFsurvivor touched on colors in the previous / first RF based thread here. Hell the stories about she and her friends' style of dress / clothing being controlled are interestng.

I definitely see where @RFsurvivor and @RFSurvivor_2 are coming from. I'm not an admin but I've been with FJ since the Yuku days back around 2011 so I understand the culture here a bit. @Curious , @Destiny, @Palimpsest, would be far better at giving lurkers the low-down on FJ.

FreeJinger takes it's name after Jinger (Duggar) Vuolo since in the early days of the Duggar show, Jinger always showed the most spunk, personality, and had big dreams of living in the city one day. 

There are a huge variety of posters here of different religions, belief-systems, life experiences, etc. I agree with RFsurvivors. I'm very sorry to any ex-RF member who may have seen a post and was hurt by it. I honestly didn't mean it and I am sorry. Even though I am not an RF member nor an ex-RF member, I respect your (RF members) right to practice your beliefs the way you feel led and how you feel God is leading you.

For instance, in the case of the Duggar family, FreeJinger is known for making light of all of the strict rules. I don't think people on FJ see it as mocking, but it's more of a light-hearted way to joke around. I wanted to bring this up to clarify as tone of text is hard to read.

This is only my experience but when I come to FJ, I envision a ridiculously intelligent group of people that meet over drinks or coffee, share updates on fundamentalism and news, share personal stories of fundamentalism and life, tell seriously funny jokes, and end the evening with light-hearted laughs after the tears. 

I wonder if Gwen's ex husband, David Shamblin, is being shunned by his kids? Would he be allowed to visit his grandchildren? From videos, I can tell that Elizabeth is 100% "all in" and being groomed to be Gwen 2.0, but Michael seems sensitive and I can imagine him possibly taking the divorce very hard.

This is a good question that I also have been asking myself. I know that David and Michael had a relitively good relationship and at one point and were very close. No doubt this divorce has taken a toll on Liz and Michael (especially Michael). I think Elizabeth definitley is more in the position to be able to easily write off her father compared to Michael (probably wont to keep appearences). Michael is in a struggling state now. If anything, I would imagine there is some discord between he and Liz at this time due to what is happening, how she is being lifted up and how he is mentally, physically and emotionally "stuck".

Apparently not. Elizabeth  —who almost never posts on social media — posted on his Facebook last week: "Nice picture, Daddy!!!! You look great!! Enjoyed lunch the other day!! See you soon!!! Love you!!!!" (His photo does look like he has lost weight and looks younger, happier). There's also a recent photo of his granddaughters. And some of the longtime Remnant folks appear to have been re-added as his friends.

All of this could have been done for appearances. But, there it is.

20 minutes ago, sajetime said:

Apparently not. Elizabeth  —who almost never posts on social media) — posted on his Facebook last week: "Nice picture, Daddy!!!! You look great!! Enjoyed lunch the other day!! See you soon!!! Love you!!!!" (His photo does look like he has lost weight and looks younger, happier). There's also a recent photo of his granddaughters. And some of the longtime Remnant folks appear to have been re-added as his friends.

All of this could have been done for appearances. But, there it is.

I feel so bad for him. I wonder if he is losing weight as an attempt to still have contact with his family and grandchildren? I wonder if they would shun him if he didn't.

@RFsurvivor @RFSurvivor_2 Can you elaborate on the RF theology of Christ and Christ's atonement? I came across this post on CityData:

Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life 

There are significant problems with their "theology." It is not a denomination. Gwen has stated that there is no trinity. She does not believe in it. She basically states the opposite of Christianity, which is based on grace, or God's forgiveness as a gift. In Gwen's "church," if you are struggling in any way, you are in disobedience to God. The way I was taught, church is not full of saints, but sinners seeking forgiveness.
Christians obey because God loves us, not to earn God's love. But Gwen's entire message is about obedience out of guilt, and that the way to perfection (God's acceptance) is through strict discipline of the flesh. That is why the weight loss seems to work. So if you are overweight, you are disobeying God and are in a state that is unacceptable to him. He will not want you in that condition. And anyone who tells you otherwise is a false teacher, a devil, and you must cut ties with them. This cult has split families and ended marriages.
Her message is the complete OPPOSITE of Christianity. 
It is ironic that I see her and her posse of Stepford family members out all the time, and it is always at a restaurant. I guess they pay a lot of money to push that lettuce around the plate.
You might as well start a meeting with a bunch of your friends regularly, call yourself a church, and preach whatever you want. It would be the same thin
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/nashville/1161113-remnant-fellowship-church-4.html#ixzz5OkmBiiaY

Does RF teach substitutionary atonement? I am trying to understand how RF says one can be saved.

The only other religion I can think of that practices strict discipline of the commandments is Mormonism. I have been told that by Mormon missionaries that we can become sinless in this life ("be ye perfect" is frequently brought up) and it is necessary to reach the highest level of heaven.

51 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I feel so bad for him. I wonder if he is losing weight as an attempt to still have contact with his family and grandchildren? I wonder if they would shun him if he didn't.

Maybe. But I prefer to think this way: He's been let out of prison! He's no longer stuck living in the shadows and a tense, unbearable situation. He's losing weight not for someone else and not under scrutiny, but because it's *his* choice, "his* body and *his* life now! He's got a very nice house, he's got a lot of money coming in and he has a lot of life left to live. He's a downright catch!

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Elizabeth's tone toward her father ("Nice picture, Daddy!!!! You look great!! Enjoyed lunch the other day!! See you soon!!! Love you!!!!") is VERY telling. Would she be talking to her father this way if he was a jerk who was ugly/abusive/awful toward her mother? NO! This tells me David Shamblin must be an OK guy. I have heard other explanations from church members who insist Gwen was the one wronged — and they just don't wash. 

41 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I definitely see where @RFsurvivor and @RFSurvivor_2 are coming from. I'm not an admin but I've been with FJ since the Yuku days back around 2011 so I understand the culture here a bit. @Curious , @Destiny, @Palimpsest, would be far better at giving lurkers the low-down on FJ.

Well, thanks, I think, @luv2laugh.  What you said is a good overview but there is another important aspect.  I'll give a shot at explaining, because Curious and Destiny seem busy, but I will also report my own post so the other Admins and Helpmeets (mods) can chime in as necessary.  I've just been here for far too long and know the background.

I haven't been through the whole thread but I see that @RFsurvivor and @@RFSurvivor_2 have asked us to be better people because our snark might put off other survivors.  I'm not sure what offended them, but sometimes snark here can get quite tough, often petty, and occasionally mean.

However, FJ is primarily a snark board.  FJ has long held the position that we are not a support group for survivors.  

I do think we are very kind and understanding to survivors in general, because many of us are survivors from many different faiths, churches and cults, and for others there is a sense of "there but for the Grace of God go I." 

We are a rough and tumble group who discuss extreme Fundamentalism with some severity, seriousness, we like to think intelligence, and a whole lot of humor.  Many of us think humor is actually a weapon in the fight against extreme Fundamentalism and cult behaviors.  Overall, we try to be a force for good - by educating through humor.  We can go adrift on the humor.

We  have a rule that says BEC (Bitch Eating Crackers) snark should be kept to a minimum.  BEC roughly translates as attempted humor about personal appearance, and poking fun for trivial reasons, and mocking things about people they can't change.

We are also self moderating to a large degree.  If someone says something that offends you, then it is your responsibility to challenge it.  If you think something is petty, then say so.  Sometimes people offend unintentionally - so you are educating them when you speak up.

Speak up as RFsurvivors 1 and 2 have done.  They were very polite posts and polite requests.  Thank you both.

On the other hand, we can't change to being a support board (or even a support RFSurvivors thread) for survivors because that is not FJ's is meant for.  And we can't control what members say that isn't against our rather minimal rules just for this thread.  We can appeal to people's better natures, as they have done.

But we also have a few wild cards as members.  Some of them have been known to offend many us badly - and deliberately - but they are not banned unless they break a rule.  Just downvote or argue with people who are offensive.  That's about all you can do.

Again my best wishes to all the survivors of the RF Cult.  It is a cult. 

Thanks again for speaking up and I hope that clarifies a bit.

Yes, Curious and Destiny are both fully occupied.  I do not use all the words, but save a lot for other people.  So bluntly put, Palimpsest has said it very well.  FJ is not changing to accommodate one, two, or a few people.  FJ is not changing for one thread or topic.  If a poster does not like how a thread is going, please feel free to push back, but do not expect the admins to carry the water for you.  We jump in if a thread is interesting to us personally and do that as regular posters or we're called because something is heading off the rails.  FJ is not a support group.  It definitely is a snark board and is not the right place for every person.  It can be tough.  That's the way it is.   FJ being FJ is no cause for alarm.  So unless I missed something, carry on.  

32 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Well, thanks, I think, @luv2laugh.  What you said is a good overview but there is another important aspect.  I'll give a shot at explaining, because Curious and Destiny seem busy, but I will also report my own post so the other Admins and Helpmeets (mods) can chime in as necessary.  I've just been here for far too long and know the background.

I haven't been through the whole thread but I see that @RFsurvivor and @@RFSurvivor_2 have asked us to be better people because our snark might put off other survivors.  I'm not sure what offended them, but sometimes snark here can get quite tough, often petty, and occasionally mean.

However, FJ is primarily a snark board.  FJ has long held the position that we are not a support group for survivors.  

I do think we are very kind and understanding to survivors in general, because many of us are survivors from many different faiths, churches and cults, and for others there is a sense of "there but for the Grace of God go I." 

We are a rough and tumble group who discuss extreme Fundamentalism with some severity, seriousness, we like to think intelligence, and a whole lot of humor.  Many of us think humor is actually a weapon in the fight against extreme Fundamentalism and cult behaviors.  Overall, we try to be a force for good - by educating through humor.  We can go adrift on the humor.

We  have a rule that says BEC (Bitch Eating Crackers) snark should be kept to a minimum.  BEC roughly translates as attempted humor about personal appearance, and poking fun for trivial reasons, and mocking things about people they can't change.

We are also self moderating to a large degree.  If someone says something that offends you, then it is your responsibility to challenge it.  If you think something is petty, then say so.  Sometimes people offend unintentionally - so you are educating them when you speak up.

Speak up as RFsurvivors 1 and 2 have done.  They were very polite posts and polite requests.  Thank you both.

On the other hand, we can't change to being a support board (or even a support RFSurvivors thread) for survivors because that is not FJ's is meant for.  And we can't control what members say that isn't against our rather minimal rules just for this thread.  We can appeal to people's better natures, as they have done.

But we also have a few wild cards as members.  Some of them have been known to offend many us badly - and deliberately - but they are not banned unless they break a rule.  Just downvote or argue with people who are offensive.  That's about all you can do.

Again my best wishes to all the survivors of the RF Cult.  It is a cult. 

Thanks again for speaking up and I hope that clarifies a bit.

Thank you @Palimpsest and @Coconut Flan for your explanations. @RFsurvivor and I understand a lot more and appreciate you both sharing, giving us great perspective and things to think about. We are definitely grateful for this site and community and are eager to learn more and grow more here. Once again, we appreciate it!

43 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I do not use all the words, but save a lot for other people.  So bluntly put, Palimpsest has said it very well.

Thanks.  I wish Rufus had given me your gift of succinctity though. :P

@RFsurvivor & @RFSurvivor_2  appreciate you being so open.  And you are former members of a cult which means people will be jerks.  IRL and online people say the stupidest stuff (I do it too and am really good at foot in mouth sometimes).    My experience was that leaving a cult (formerly known as LDS) meant losing almost every "friend" and "mentor" and starting again.  Wherever you end up, ask questions and talk to the leadership of that faith group and don't get stuck on ex-RF (or ex-Mormon).  And one day it will dawn on you that the cost was totally worth it to be free.  

In addition:

FJ has a lot of different subforums, all of which have slightly different cultures.  While some members have one or two areas they frequent, many posters view various forums on the board.  I point this out because if you are only participating in this thread, you may lose sight to the fact that many posters do not post only in a single thread.  They post across the whole of FJ, in many different subforums, and on many different topics.

Because of this, it is important we keep rules consistent across the site.  We cannot have specific rules for specific threads.  It would be a nightmare for both posters and admins.  And certain things being a trigger for a certain group or a certain thread do not justify creating a sitewide rule if they are otherwise valid forms of snark.  

"But when is addressing someone's appearance EVER valid snark?"  This is a legitimate question, and I'd like to address it with a concrete example.  There is another family we discuss here called the Rodrigues family.  Since I know this is a concern for many on this thread, I will refrain from using the words I would generally use to describe the matriarch, Jill, but suffice to say that she has a very UNIQUE definition of "modesty" that is not shared by many other Christians (even in her own circles) and sadly inflicts her "modesty standards" on her daughters.  In addition, Jill just LOVES to judge other women and even teenage girls on their dress, insult other standards of modest dress, and raise herself above other women because she believes she is the BEST kind of "modest".  

It's hypocrisy, plain and simple, and pointing out hypocrisy is a VERY valid form of snark and criticism.  So there are cases on this board where commenting on someone's make up, dress, etc. may be very valid.   In fact, I've even commented on Jill's weight before.  NOT because I am a terrible person, but because Jill was trying to make false claims about her weight and body in order to sell an MLM product.  I do not support body shaming, but it did need to be called out that Jill was deliberately making false claims about her body in order to try and sell snake oil.

So while banning all appearance talk might make sense HERE, in other areas of the site it does not make sense to have that rule and would actually be harmful to valid discussion.  That's why we ask posters to push back on talk that doesn't provide value in a particular thread and self-police.  Self-policing is a far better method for nuanced and thread specific matters.  Admin action works best for things that are more black and white and can be consistently applied across the board.  

I am surprised that a picture of the wedding has not surfaced. I figured Gwen would want to show off Tarzan - the Jungle Boy! 

50 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

I am surprised that a picture of the wedding has not surfaced. I figured Gwen would want to show off Tarzan - the Jungle Boy! 

Things like this always leak out eventually. 

When I first saw her picture as an avatar, I thought it was some sort of parody. I don't understand how people can take her seriously with that hair. I know that might sound superficial, but her hair almost worse than Jan Crouch! Has anyone ever asked why she does that to her hair? Do people in the church actually think her hair looks good or is it a thing everyone knows her hair is ridiculous but pretend it isn't to her face? She has to know people mock her hair. Does she keep it just to make it look like she isn't giving in to haters? Jill Rod's hair I can understand because she seems to live in the 1980's, but Gwen's hair isn't from any time period and must draw looks and laughs if she wears it like that out in public. 

8 hours ago, OlderWiserMom said:

I highly recommend reading the thread on Magnolia Pearl; it is absolutely hilarious. 

51 minutes ago, MathQueen said:

“Recently she married Joe Lara on August 18, 2018.” Found this added to Gwen’s Wikipedia page.

Her name also has been changed on the photo, not the entry itself:

C1A39D70-4716-4B34-9ED2-7DEB7C69C557.jpeg

Speaking of Gwen and Wikipedia, I had never read through someone’s edit history before. Comedy gold!  There must be a whole separate Wikipedia Ministry just to keep watch on that page alone!

909EC718-C316-4D40-B02D-BE3967DD8970.jpeg

We just couldn't resist ... since Gwen gave us our name in a court deposition years ago, we decided to Rise Above to the occasion and embrace our name as the Pathologic Antagonist.

Hi, Truth Rises To The Topsters!   We at Spiritwatch Ministries have been, are, and will be watching YOU also.  Our eyes and ears are all over your culture, and we have nothing to hide. THE truth about your alternate reality we have told the world of for over 15 years IS our defense. Knock yourselves out trying to outGoogle us in vain and go on enjoying licking your potato chips.

You might gain a whole Zionworld but your souls are lost and adrift and what will you give for that is what the Jesus of the Bible will ask you some day .. not the jesus of Gwenland.  Still, you remain in our prayers and we will be ready to meet with you when the latest egocentric outrage within your hot house religion finally drives you to your knees wondering how you got there.

We are the best friends you hate above all. We will never return that to you. We are ready to help you out of that madness.

God have mercy on you all because the tender mercies of Remnant are utterly failing you now.

1 hour ago, sajetime said:

Speaking of Gwen and Wikipedia, I had never read through someone’s edit history before. Comedy gold!  There must be a whole separate Wikipedia Ministry just to keep watch on that page alone!

909EC718-C316-4D40-B02D-BE3967DD8970.jpeg

This is gold! Got me messed up / rollin' at 4:30 a.m here, hahaha!

• DaisyD locked this topic

Archived