IGNORED

Jinjer 41: Felicity Nicole 8 lb 3 oz

Coconut Flan

My mum and I share a middle name, it is her Great Grandmother’s first name. It’s also my MIL’s middle name.

We had boys but we weren’t going to use it if we had a girl, we wanted something totally different. 

I have no shame in admitting that if I had a girl she would have been pink frillied to her eyeballs. With big bows too. And smocking everywhere. But I did that with my boys (well not the bows) so it’s not surprising, right?

My boys wore smocked rompers ... they wore hand me down pink singlets and pajamas too, and I bought them pink Bermuda shorts and pink polo tops. They’re adults now so they buy their own pink clothes. 

It’s just that my favourite colour is pink - so of course I dressed my kids in it!

I don’t know the Felicity show people are talking about, I’m a bit embarrassed to admit that it reminds me of the Austin Powers movie. I went to school with quite a few girls named Felicity in the 80s-90s. 

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Count me in to bow loving camp.  *waits for the downvotes to rain down*  I honestly think it’s just a southern thing.  I get the gender roles shit, but there’s nothing wrong with being excited to have a little girl and dress her in pink and frills and bows until at least the age she can be annoyed by it. Many, many left leaning non religious #girlmoms I know have done it. 

Jinger may not have held on until my birthday, but I named one of my children Felicity too! Mine was after Felicity in the Chalet School books.

Of course, my Felicity is now an awesome transgender 14 year old and he is known as Fizz... it makes me sad to think of the family reaction if any of these little ones did likewise down the line.

Nothing wrong with dressing a baby in bows and ruffles (once upon a time baby boys were dressed this way too). As a very detail-oriented fasion designer, I would be super excited to have a kid who enjoys dressing up.

I just hope that if some day Felicity Vuolo tells her folks that she hates pink, wants nothing to do with cooking/cleaning/traditional motherhood, and wants to learn to operate heavy machinery she won't be pushed into a more jinder stereotypical direction.

5 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I think of the American Girl doll before I think of the tv show.

I am not American so I am not familiar with them.

6 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Felicity originated from the ancient Roman goddess Fortuna. :) (per my Google-fu)

That Wikipedia voice is sorely wrong, there's no etymological link between fortuna and felicitas, the two concepts are also quite different. Fortuna is luck either good or bad, felicitas is the good luck that makes you happy and blessed.

Oh oh I just thought of something. What if they named her FeliCity because Jinger loves the City? :my_cool:

I've read that the Latin adjectiv felix means not only lucky etc. but also fruitful.

Maybe this is a kind of central idea for the Vuolos. If my poor brain cells remember correctly, they chose the berry and grape theme, that symoblizes fruitfulness, for their wedding and now they name their child Felicity.

Just speculating, could be a coincidence.

3 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

One of the very few traditions in my immediate family is having the same middle name as our parents. Our family isn't remotely fundie.

My middle name is shared with my mum, my grandmother and my great grandmother at least. Same goes for my brother (despite being the paternal side of my family and my dad and grandfather both being the youngest sons). If I have a daughter, her middle name will be mine also.

Before you pointed this out I really hadn't noticed the trend. Naming a child exactly after the parent (Junior/2nd/3rd etc) always seemed very American to me!

I think passing on a middle name isn’t out of the ordinary in Europe. I have seen that a lot. Passing on the first name is something I have only seen in the USA.

What I don’t understand is the following: if you pass on the middle name, chances are high that the child is not called that name but the first name (not always the case but more likely). Why only give it to the first daughter or son? I would definitely feel left out if my older sister got the „family“ name as a middle name while I didn’t get a name with family connection. Making the first born even more special seems a bit unfair from my perspective. Of course there will always be people who hate that they have a passed on name or are pretty happy that it wasn’t their turn but where comes this fixiation on the first one from?

I already explained that I don’t get passing on the first name but I see no problem with passing on the same middle name to several children.

I adore the name. Will be interesting how strong her Duggar genes come through compared to her cousins. 

7 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Strict Gender roles from birth and the fact that they want us to know girls are girls and boys are boys is far more important than the fact one baby is a few oz heavier than another.

Ok.  So you'd have been happy if the kid had been dressed in a beige onesie. It only becomes an issue if the kid doesn't WANT pink but the parents keep forcing it.

And it's not a few ounces... it's POUNDS. lmao

Late to the party - I like the name Felicity as well, very pretty! And now I share my birthday with a Duggar.....

Felicity harkens me back to my days of reading every single American Girl book, and that's a nice trip back down memory lane for me.

My sister, my 3 nieces, my mother and I, all share the same middle name. Both of my aunts (mother's sister and father's sister) have it as their first name.

Yes - we're family of evil Catholics and we're all named Mary. Jeremy and Derrick would spontaneously combust just walking past our house!

7 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Felicity is one of my all-time favorite names. I'm a fan.

Though could someone explain to me the fundie trend of reusing mom's middle name? I've seen Anna (Mackynzie Renee), Priscilla (Davia Lynn), Erin (Brooklyn Elise), Alyssa (Zoey Joy), and now Jinger do it. I think it's nice that they do it especially given how often boys have common elements in their names (Garrett, Gilvin, David, James, Robert Ellis, Charles Stephen), but it seems rather uniquely fundie to me (unless you count royal families where everyone reuses the same like 10 names). 

People have already responded and it’s an old post, but whatevs. I’m jumping in regardless!

It’s not really a fundie thing. My mom and I share the same middle name. My daughter’s first name is a form of my middle name (Mary Willa and Willow Nicole.) My first nephew’s first name is his dad’s middle name (Paul James and James Thomas.) The great-Aunt I named my daughter for gave her daughter a middle name that is a form of her middle name (Catherine Isabella and Mary Isabel.) My mom’s only sister had the sane first name as her maternal grandma and her middle name was her paternal grabdma’s first name (Grandma Rachel, Grandma Marie, and Aunt Rachel Marie.)

(And I’m not from the South. I’m a lifelong New Englander. Also, all names were changed because privacy and shit. Lol!)

And to the poster who mentioned Kaci Bates, I’m pretty sure her middle name (Lynn) is Whitney’s mother’s first or middle name. 

ETA: Now that I’m caught up and it’s not 10 at night -

1. I don’t really care with secular parents dressing their infants like that. I didn’t do it with my kid, but as long as everyone is healthy and happy you do you. I do give a second glance when an IBLP fundie does it though given the emphasis they place on strict gender roles. I would hope they’d be supportive if she eventually hates the stereotypically girly stuff, but I’m not holding my breath either.

2. And can we stop blaming just Jeremy for how the kid is dressed for those first two photos? Jinger likely had just as much a say in it as Jeremy did. If you’re going to blame one you need to blame both - just like Jill gets blamed everytime Derick opens his fat mouth. They likely changed her into something more comfortable after those first photos anyways.

3. The name is fine. I still think Jeremy is pretentious as fuck though.

4. Jinger looks happy and healthy and the baby is likely adorable. Congrats to the new parents on a healthy baby.

ETA 2: And I agree that photo Jill posted was very likely sent to the family for sharing by the Vuolos. I get that people didn’t realize that at first, but I see no reason to criticize Jill for posting it at this point. She’s probably excited to be an Aunt again and I’m just glad she likely respected the new parents’ wishes in how she posted the news. 

3 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

That Wikipedia voice is sorely wrong, there's no etymological link between fortuna and felicitas, the two concepts are also quite different. Fortuna is luck either good or bad, felicitas is the good luck that makes you happy and blessed.

All this about the name makes me think of is Felix Felicis from Harry Potter and then the name Minerva, listed in some character name list,  just seals the deal. 

Back on topic, glad baby and mom are happy and healthy.

Josie Bates has a Kelly inspired middle name  she’s Josie Kellyn Bates, which I think is pretty cool actually. 

I wonder if JinJer will have another waiting period before letting everyone come down to meet Felicity. They’ll probably let their parents (if they aren’t already there) and a couple of siblings visit, but I wouldn’t be surprised if another embargo has been placed for the first few months (like when they first got married).  

Also I love the name Felicity and don’t think it’s weird that she gave her the middle name Nicole. People all over the world use the middle name to honor family all the time. It would be really strange to me if I met someone who never met anyone who shared a middle name with her mom. I’m sure I have. Why not? Great way to pass on mom names. My aunt KKs middle name is her mom’s maiden name, which isn’t a “name name” or very “girly” sounding at all. She isn’t the first born or the first born daughter. Doesn’t seem weird to me or to anyone else. 

I can’t believe I guessed the name right!!!! 

I wish I should go back and find my post but I am lazy. Welcome to the world Felicity! 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived