IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren Part 8: One Week to the Wedding (Now Married)

Coconut Flan

4 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

Do we know how huge the wedding party was yet?

Maybe I imagined it, but I thought there were only 8 bridesmaids? 

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, G33kywife said:

Maybe I imagined it, but I thought there were only 8 bridesmaids? 

I know it was likely because Lauren had to include her own sisters and perhaps didn't want a huge wedding party, both of which are totally legitimate reasons to only have 8 bridesmaids, but the Bravo watcher in me wants there to be a huge dramatic webisode where Lauren lines up all the of-age Duggar girls and asks the ones she picked to be her bridesmaids to step forward...and then prosecco goes flying and tables are flipped. 

Also, the bridesmaid dresses look pretty cute. I'm impressed with the pleating work and they don't give me show choir flashbacks, which is what I was afraid of when I saw from afar that they were T-shirt bodices. Good job, Anna and Jana. Hope you got actual thanks/gratitude. 

Also, Michelle's MOG dress makes her look like a well-meaning white lady trying to "fit in" at a Kwanzaa celebration her coworker invited her to out of politeness. 

28 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Also, Michelle's MOG dress makes her look like a well-meaning white lady trying to "fit in" at a Kwanzaa celebration her coworker invited her to out of politeness. 

Can you/will you post a picture, please? :pray:

2 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I sew only occasionally and can’t figure out how the neckline is constructed. But beyond the pleats/gathering there and the waistband, it could be a fairly easy pattern: once you’ve gathered all that material into the neckline, attach the tulip sleeves and then sew up the side seams.  

Presto dress-toe, they might not even have needed zippers!  

Sew the back seam leaving 3 or 4 inches at the neckline with a hook & eye closure or a button and loop. Drop the dress over your head, button the neckline, wrap the sash around your waist and you’re ready to precede your sister down the aisle in Gilead.

I used to sew but haven’t in a looooonnngggg time ( I even sew my 1st wedding dress, AND the 3 bridesmaids dresses - with my mom’s help - while pregnant, puking 6 times a day AND working full time - I tell you, the energy of youth is entirely under appreciated while it’s there - now just reading that list makes me want to slap that girl and go take a nap ) 

Anyway.... I think the neck was constructed by pinning the pleats to a lining cut in a circle with a slit for the fastening you suggested - doing a thin seam to hold it together, then turning rightside out - kind of like a French seam, but without the second seam. I think it was probably side seams shaping it, and the sash. 

Jana and Anna may have enjoyed making them , it looks kind of interesting to fashion, if you enjoy that sort of thing,

45 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Can you/will you post a picture, please? :pray:

tumblr_pb96jlNWcp1uipssao1_500.png

I mean, I think the color's nice on her, don't get me wrong, but...yeah, this is very "oh, I just LOOOOOOVE African culture!!"

After seeing the pic of Michelle above and the one of Jinger and the 2 other girls posted earlier, it doesn't seem to me like anyone was really into this wedding. That's an awful MOG dress in my opinion and Jinger at the after party had scraggly hair and no (or minimal) makeup. Looks like neither put much effort into their appearance for this wedding.

I can't ever think sewing ones own wedding clothes is a good idea - but then I grew up with my family friends telling me the stories of being a bridesmaid for my mum, who wanted to sew her own dress and bridesmaids dresses, and it ended up with all the bridesmaids and friends sitting up til 3:30am on the morning of mum's wedding, finishing them, because my mother is the kind of person who can't plan, and gets caught up in sewing the dress material over all the buttons/hunting for the exact right lace trim, and needs to be rescued by everyone around her.

(My mum is chronically last minute, my dad is chronically early.  The only reason they got together is because my mum was living in student accommodation with all her best friends, so whenever my dad came to pick her up and she was super-late, there'd always be someone to hang out with him.  If they had been able to live together, they would never have got married, because wow, they were unsuited in so many ways, but a lot of it was masked because they didn't have opportunities to see it - but it was the 60s, so they got married instead.  Just the time-keeping was a bad enough mismatch that they would have known about it they'd moved in first, and I imagine this is infinitely moreso for Fundy couples, who've never even been on a date by themselves)

8 minutes ago, Purrl said:

After seeing the pic of Michelle above and the one of Jinger and the 2 other girls posted earlier, it doesn't seem to me like anyone was really into this wedding. That's an awful MOG dress in my opinion and Jinger at the after party had scraggly hair and no (or minimal) makeup. Looks like neither put much effort into their appearance for this wedding.

The one of Jinger and the two friends that caused all the uproar turned out to not be at the after-party - it was at a Cold War themed Escape Room, a few day prior lol. 

I agree it’s not a typical MOG dress. But she is looking really good ! I would put her at late 30’s - early 40’s - definitely not 51 with 19 kids! 

10 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Where are these damn bridal party photos? I'm on the verge of a laundry room meltdown here. While we wait here's a couple photos from the first disaster wedding. Those side panel ruffles, giant sleeves and bizarre length are so fetching.

Note also the giant candles we were forced to carry while ancient priests marched us around an altar chanting in Greek for what was possibly hours. There was no wedding rehearsal so I was incredibly confused. 

Wow, @SongRed7 that sounds incredibly bad, who would split the dresses up like that and not just have alternating ones instead?! Kind of want to see the tacky heart flowers!

@louisa05 I see your flower crown and I raise you the below skull-scraping floral "item".

18-07-02-23-32-02-931_deco.jpg

18-07-02-23-34-14-184_deco.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

18-07-02-23-51-44-427_deco.jpg

My four year old thinks your dress is AMAZING. 

I don’t believe I am finally delurking and wasting my first post on a sewing question... those bridesmaids dresses are almost certainly made with prepleated fabric, which is readily available online.  With the pleated fabric, they’d be well within the capabilities of home sewers. 

4 hours ago, Purrl said:

The photo of Michelle is clearly at the after-party and she had probably changed. Also, where did it come from? It looks like it might be photoshopped to me.

Holy shit I missed that Michelle photo the first time around. I guess that's where all of Josiah's flair went. That dress is a hot mess. 

7 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

but the Bravo watcher in me wants there to be a huge dramatic webisode where Lauren lines up all the of-age Duggar girls and asks the ones she picked to be her bridesmaids to step forward...and then prosecco goes flying and tables are flipped. 

Finally! An episode of CO I would watch! :pb_lol:

*I know it would never happen, but it would certainly relieve the boredom of another coutship/engagement/wedding/baby, rinse, repeat.

5 hours ago, Lurky said:

I can't ever think sewing ones own wedding clothes is a good idea -

When I got married - everyone needed to get their dresses altered - naturally. They were floor length royal blue skirts (just a straight skirt) and three quarter sleeves royal blue "blouses" basically. (I had 4 completely different body types, some short, some taller, one nursing mom etc). And so - there it was. 

Anyway - I asked everyone to hem to the floor - said I didn't care what shoes they wore under it  - but hem to the floor. My sister - who... is challenging - decided that my Grandmother should hem her dress - three days before the wedding. Grandma did a great job (but it wasn't like she wasn't ALSO coming into town...) and hemmed it at ankle length. 
I also arranged for us to all get our hair done at the salon in town. Again - didn't care how you wanted it done - but come and have champagne & orange juice while we get ready. 
Same sister came - sat down in the chair and lost her MIND over the woman with the can of hairspray. She wanted no product, no pins. She ended up wearing her hair down, straight, simple. (everyone else took advantage of getting updos and getting a little pampered). Not her - it was as if she'd just been at work and threw on this dress. In hindsight - I should have been more specific or asked her NOT to be in the wedding party at all. 

Either way - even HER hair looked more brushed than Lauren's did.

Michelle's dress is awful.  The print is pretty and the color looks well on her, but the style = bleh.  That said, she looks good otherwise.  She really is undeservedly good looking.  It makes you wonder whether she has a mirror in her attic reflecting this:

witch-of-edmonton-production-5-361x501.tmb-gal-670.jpg

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

tumblr_pb96jlNWcp1uipssao1_500.png

I mean, I think the color's nice on her, don't get me wrong, but...yeah, this is very "oh, I just LOOOOOOVE African culture!!"

Of course if you asked Michelle which African culture she would look at you blankly and say “do you mean there is more than one?

That doesn’t even look like Michelle. Her hair isn’t huge. She isn’t wearing a green button up shirt. How am I supposed to know it’s her?!

15 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

Why is everyone assuming Lauren practically forced Jana and Anna to make the bridesmaids dresses by asking them and knowing they wouldn’t be able to say no?

She is raised in the same cult, she also puts others before herself and she is new to the family

I agree. And for those who like to sew (and it seems Jana and Anna do)...they may have offered. i LOVE to sew and I volunteer to help make costumes for my daughter's school musical every year.   It looks like a sweat shop in the kitchen during  these times.  One year I made 20 orphans smocks for the production of Annie, the next year it was multi-colored outfits for 20 for the Who's of Whoville for Seussical.   I really do enjoy it....so I'm not going to criticize in this case. 

I think its a case of them offering. 

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

The photo of Michelle is clearly at the after-party and she had probably changed. Also, where did it come from? It looks like it might be photoshopped to me.

The same woman who first gave away that she was on her way to the wedding before People could announce it posted it. 

Her insta is @raisingryans and it’s public. 

I think Michelle looks great in that color but the shape of the dress isn't all that flattering. It doesn't really look like a mog dress but it was super hot this past weekend so perhaps she was going with something breezy and lightweight vs a more heavy formal dress due to weather. 

The angle of that picture makes me think JillRod took it.... :evil-laugh: *interthreaduality* 

That red MOG dress is better than the Tin Man Monstrosity from Jilly Muffin's wedding.

I think Michelle would look great with an updo for her children’s weddings. But we know Boob likes her hair down. So that’s how she will always wear it. *eyeroll*

We’ll know soon enough, but it looks more like a dress she is wearing while her hair and make up are being done, or maybe at a pre/post wedding gathering. The woman whose Instagram it is from doesn’t specify.  While that might be a MOG dress you’d see in my area of Mc Hippyville, at an outdoor wedding. It seems unusual for their set.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived