IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren Part 8: One Week to the Wedding (Now Married)

Coconut Flan

There are a few stories of those raised fundie who have come out. One that I thought was especially interesting was Randy Roberts Potts, grandson of Oral Roberts. He has said he knew since he was 5. He'd even told his wife before they married at 18. They both thought marriage would take it away. It didn't. His mother, Oral Roberts, daughter no longer speaks to him. He has a memoir coming out. I will have to look for it. 

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

They both thought marriage would take it away. It didn't. His mother, Oral Roberts, daughter no longer speaks to him. He has a memoir coming out. I will have to look for it. 

This was exactly my point- that one the dangers of being a fundie is being forced into an unsuitable marriage. 

Having gone through boyfriend after boyfriend in search of the magic penis that would make me straight and not want to vomit, I finally realized it wasn't going to work. But will Josiah ever get that opportunity? Probably not, and to be that is so damn tragic. I spent 24 years fighting these feelings, I can't imagine having to spend an entire liftime doing so. 

51 minutes ago, Stormy said:

Nobody suffers consequences for others speculating that they're straight.

You really misunderstood my point, which was that the rule as written is not followed at all. I even said that I understand why, but that doesn't change that it's frustrating to see. It's not even really about the rule, which I don't have an issue with, I'm just tired of people saying they don't speculate on sexuality when that isn't actually true.

And I also disagree that there are no consequences for speculating about heterosexuality. Fundies absolutely punish normal expressions of heterosexuality (it's something we talk about here all the time!), and if it got back to fundie parents that people were saying that their kids were flirting with a member of the opposite sex then that could get the kid in trouble or ruin their friendship with whoever they were supposedly flirting with. Look at the Stranger Things kids, where weirdos online "shipping" the kids has made them uncomfortable being seen with each other.

37 minutes ago, Stormy said:

Then, he was spirited to Jesus Jail therapy for God knows how long while his wife and children were uprooted from their cushy home in DC and put up in the TTH, where they more than likely had to share dorms the remaining Duggar children. It's almost as though Jim Bob and Michelle took custody of Anna and the kids while Josh was away, like how someone might do for the children of a loved one who gets sent to jail. If this were a normal family, Anna could have at least stayed in the comfort of her own home while she and her husband sorted out their new lives and moving back to AR, while the in-laws would have been merely supportive rather than the ones to take control of the situation.

Overall I agree with you, but we don't know the conditions under which the had the house in the DC metro area. When Josh gave up his job with FRC Action he lost that salary and they presumably could not longer afford the house. DC metro area housing is hardly cheap and that was a fairly good sized house. (It's possible the house was actually also a perk of the job, though I don't think anything like that was every claimed, so that's pure speculation.)

If Josh and Anna had still had a house of their own that was livable back in Arkansas it's entirely possible that Anna might have moved back into it with her kids, but to my recollection the house they live in now (which they did own at that point) needed a lot of work before anyone could move in. Thus, Anna couldn't really move into it even if she wanted to.

So along with everything else that happened, Anna essentially ended up homeless and rather than moving into a hotel or in with any other family members she moved into the TTH, which had the best chance of absorbing her and her then four kids without too much crowding. How that played out on an interpersonal level we don't know, but logistically and finance-wise it may have simply made the most sense.

Josiah was the Duggar son I always wanted to soar far away from his controlling family. I am now hoping James leaves. Not sure why, as he hasn't had much tv coverage but I liked him as a little kid. I hope Jordyn and Jenni get out, too. It doesn't have to be anything dramatic, just getting a job several of hours away from family and starting their own lives. Josiah looks like he has settled and if that is so, I feel badly for Lauren, Josiah and their eventual offspring. Hope there is love and respect there for both of them. 

Separating the rule discussion from the regular thread discussion isn't a good approach with the way the discussion has been intertwined.  We thought the rule discussion was dying off, but since it's continuing we ask that you please take any future rule discussion to community discussion.  Thanks.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Carry on here:

Archived