IGNORED

Do you think BUB should be canceled?

formergothardite

I think the show needs to be re-structured.

I wholeheartedly agree that this family has a xenophobic, homophobic, misogynist, and overall bigoted world view BUT I'd like to see the platform of the show change to challenge that. I'd like to see them spend time with a gay couple, have the kids play with a Muslim family, have them experience life outside their bubble. Alas, they would never agree to such a premise but I think it would make for truly compelling television. 

34 minutes ago, TatertotAsserole said:

I think the show needs to be re-structured.

No, really you think this show should be recast.  With another family.   A non-Fundie family.

Because the Bateses are not going to fulfill your dreams.  In a million years.

8 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

No, really you think this show should be recast.  With another family.   A non-Fundie family.

Because the Bateses are not going to fulfill your dreams.  In a million years.

I think it needs to be a fundie family (or fundigelical) to be compelling. If it's just typical red-state people it'll be boring. I just want to watch any fundamentalist challenge their beliefs on national television. 

I noticed some earlier comments here about how Up is positioning them as “normal”. We should remember that Up is a Christian based network. Cancellation is unlikely unless they stop making them money for whatever reason. 

35 minutes ago, TatertotAsserole said:

I think it needs to be a fundie family (or fundigelical) to be compelling. If it's just typical red-state people it'll be boring. I just want to watch any fundamentalist challenge their beliefs on national television. 

In your dreams again.  I don't care what you want to watch.  I wonder what your motivation is.  You may be a lovely person who got their words wrong in this post.  I hope so.

However, it is posts like this that make me quite sad.  They show no understanding of the evils of Fundamentalism and the destruction that UnReality TV wields on families.

It seems all about what this poster wants as entertainment and "compelling" TV.  They seem not to give a shit about the people involved.

14 hours ago, TatertotAsserole said:

I wholeheartedly agree that this family has a xenophobic, homophobic, misogynist, and overall bigoted world view BUT I'd like to see the platform of the show change to challenge that. I'd like to see them spend time with a gay couple, have the kids play with a Muslim family, have them experience life outside their bubble. Alas, they would never agree to such a premise but I think it would make for truly compelling television. 

Ugh, completely unfair on the gay/Muslim people who'd have to put up with a hundred miles of BS and a whole load of conversion efforts - not to mention becoming targets for the Bates humpers.

I know the utopian idea is that this would be something like Queer Eye, but that programme is set up where the fab four are the heroes/protagonists.  And yeah, there are programmes where bigots live with people they hate, and come to change their views - BUT the idea that UP or someone would turn on their stars like that is a pipe dream.  The Bateses/Duggars can't even deal with something like a seafood restaurant, and when they're shown traveling abroad, are thoughtless bigots in so many ways, so there's no way they'd suddenly be open-minded protagonists in a show set up to show them they're wrong.

What I would give to see the Fab Five spend a week with the Bates! Lip scrub for everyone! I do have to say that Queer Eye is incredibly classist and unrealistic when they try to help poor people. The Bates are not poverty-stricken or overrun by tiny children anymore, so they would be perfect as the object of the try-a-little-harder philosophy.

I'm sorry but I am picturing Gil Bates going through a makeover with Queer Eye. His clothes. The house. I can't stop laughing. 

8 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

I'm sorry but I am picturing Gil Bates going through a makeover with Queer Eye. His clothes. The house. I can't stop laughing. 

"YAAAASSS. Work it, daddy! You are serving me patriarchal headship REALNESS right now."

On 7/9/2018 at 3:24 PM, BeccaGrim said:

I am picturing Gil Bates going through a makeover with Queer Eye

I want to see Bobby Berk's reaction to the Confederate decor. I also want Jonathan and Tan to makeover Kelly. 

Archived