IGNORED

Do you think BUB should be canceled?

formergothardite

A thread like this was started in the Duggar section so I decided to start one here. Does anyone think BUB should stay on the air? If so, why? 

I personally think it needs to be canceled and they all need to fade into obscurity. 

~Reality TV is not good for children.

~This show provides a platform to normalize high ranking members of a hateful, dangerous cult along with normalizing their beliefs.

~It gives them money and makes it appear to them that "God" is blessing them for believing and teaching awful things. 

It really is amazing what a good job they have done making it seem like they aren't racists with wacko beliefs.

Should it be? Yes. They are garbage people with garbage beliefs.

Would I admittedly be a little bummed? Yes, because for some screwed up reason the simplistic formula of this show is relaxing to me and I am a complicated person.

Cancel it! Not interested in this creepy cult bullshit and everything else you said! (Admittedly I don't watch...)

I'm less concerned about cancellation negatively affecting the kids (isolation, financially) with BUB than I was with Counting On, and I still think both shows need to leave the air. They're probably going to stay in the limelight anyway without a show, what with social media and all, though. Same with the Duggars.

Just now, albireo said:

Cancel it! Not interested in this creepy cult bullshit and everything else you said! (Admittedly I don't watch...)

I'm less concerned about cancellation negatively affecting the kids (isolation, financially) with BUB than I was with Counting On, and I still think both shows need to leave the air. They're probably going to stay in the limelight anyway without a show, what with social media and all, though. Same with the Duggars.

I think if the show is cancelled the Bates kids are screwed financially. none of the men have really stable jobs I mean at least they have them but they aren't great except maybe Zach and Kelton. and they don't have as much money to stretch without the show. 

I think If the Duggar's go off the air they will be fine financially with all their rel-estate  properties and cover's they will still get. 

12 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I think if the show is cancelled the Bates kids are screwed financially. none of the men have really stable jobs I mean at least they have them but they aren't great except maybe Zach and Kelton. and they don't have as much money to stretch without the show. 

I think If the Duggar's go off the air they will be fine financially with all their rel-estate  properties and cover's they will still get. 

They're only 'screwed financially' if they refuse to even attempt to get actual jobs. They're all young, able bodied white people of seemingly average intelligence. If it's a choice between being destitute and working a real job, I'm guessing most of them will suck it up and get real jobs.

3 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Their jobs, cult or no, are more stable than the jobs the Duggar sons and sons-in-law have IMO. Let's see.

Zach is a cop. Whitney is getting into real estate. Brandon has some office job for IBLP, which he's unlikely to lose unless IBLP as a whole goes down. Lawson's an ass but he used to be the breadwinner. Nathan could at least try to use his pilot skills. Chad has a business of some sort, I don't remember what. John has the HVAC business and the cleaning business. Bobby I'll give you. Is Tori getting paid for her teaching? We don't know when the couples are getting married so I won't consider them yet. Additionally, though she's courting, Josie is using her cosmetology license.

Smugass is living off JB and working at the car lot. Jana could go into real estate if she wanted but isn't doing anything with it right now. JD is a cop. Derick is a grifting mess and Jill isn't licensed. Ben is working for JB and trying to become a pastor. Jeremy is a pastor. Joe and Si...work at the car lot? Austin works at the camp and is also in real estate.

I'd call pastor jobs less stable than the Bates kids' and in-laws' jobs. All of the Duggars who are in real estate are operating under JB's umbrella, whereas Whitney doesn't really seem to be. All in all there are fewer Bateses being supported by Gil than there are Duggars being supported by JB. That's why I'm less concerned. Regardless, I think both should be cancelled to get them out of the limelight, and I think the families would figure out a way to not screw everyone over.

27 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I think if the show is cancelled the Bates kids are screwed financially.

Eh, they are going to be better off than many of the people who are raised in IBLP. They won't be able to take fancy vacations constantly or redecorate their houses in a pinterest way all the time, but if they get jobs they will be fine. 

It should be cancelled. Unfortunately, when cancellation will never erase the horrifying image of Gil Bates flying towards the screen during the creepy af opening credits. His dumbass face will haunt my darkest nightmares until I die. :pb_lol:

5 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

@albireo Wait, what? John David is a cop? Since when?

this is from his fundementlist wiki page. 

In October of 2014, John-David was sworn in as a constable of Washington County, Arkansas.[11] He is still serving in this position today

I remember once JIm Bob went on a ride along they stopped at a gas station and Jim bob had to run in for snacks. 

I am fairly sure it was determined that John David's position is some kind of volunteer deal. He definitely didn't go to the police academy like Zach Bates.

On the question of the thread, yes I absolutely want this show to be canceled. I think it is infinitely more dangerous than the Duggars' show because the Bateses (and Up!) do a much better job at making the family look happy and normal. They do a GREAT job of luring people in. Unfortunately, I don't see this show ending any time soon unless a scandal like Joshgate comes to light.

You're right, he's a volunteer. So he has some skills he would need to actually *use* properly if the show were cancelled. I admit I don't trust him in law enforcement, but that's a separate issue.

@JillyO I agree! I think the show isn't doing what TLC initially did which was to ask the Duggars questions to illustrate how strange they were.  Up is more like Look at the beautiful, happy, perfect, Bates family. Look how good looking they all are. Look how they love everything.  Join them! They don't have Jazz Jennings anywhere on their network.  And so far not one of the Bates' spouses is spouting off at the mouth like Derek Dillard. 

Much more dangerous. 

33 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

@JillyO I agree! I think the show isn't doing what TLC initially did which was to ask the Duggars questions to illustrate how strange they were.  Up is more like Look at the beautiful, happy, perfect, Bates family. Look how good looking they all are. Look how they love everything.  Join them! They don't have Jazz Jennings anywhere on their network.  And so far not one of the Bates' spouses is spouting off at the mouth like Derek Dillard. 

Much more dangerous. 

I think even if the Bates had stayed on TLC over Up they wouldn't be the hot mess the Duggar's are. they stay mostly away from politics. on their social media  you see it a few times but nothing like the Duggars show with all their social media postings about marches and Catholics and transgender ect.... 

Yes, it should be cancelled.  ASAP.  For the reasons stated above.  And all the adult Duggars and the Bateses can get other jobs to support themselves that do not exploit minor children.

And, no.  The Bates family does not stay away from politics.  Their beliefs are as disgraceful as the Duggars.  The Bateses are shrewd enough to mostly keep the dark side off social media because it might damage the brand, that's all.

Zach Bates ran for County Commissioner in 2010 and won.  He ran for Mayor of Anderson County in 2014 and lost.  The whole family came out to support him.  It was way too close a race, however, and his platform was predictably disgusting.

Yes, John David Duggar is a volunteer constable.  It is an elected position and he got some training (but not police academy).  It means that he gets to drive a squad car, give daddy rides, play with guns, and flash a badge occasionally.  

I would not be at all surprised if other Bateses and Duggars ran for office of some kind in the future.  It is a rather typical IBLP (and ALERT) trajectory to go the EMT training and lower level volunteer town or county official route, and then try to use that as a spring board for higher office.

17 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I think even if the Bates had stayed on TLC over Up they wouldn't be the hot mess the Duggar's are. they stay mostly away from politics. on their social media  you see it a few times but nothing like the Duggars show with all their social media postings about marches and Catholics and transgender ect.... 

Don't you think that the Bates learned some from watching the backlash to the Duggars? The Bates started out just as awful as the Dugggars, but seemed to have watched the reaction to the Duggars and changed to hide the bad part of their life. There is a reason people thought they were more wacky than the Duggars when we first found them. On top of the shrine to racism, the Bates talked about their crazy beliefs, wrote about Bates children fasting and weeping in hopes Kelly would get pregnant, told how Kelly didn't even bother to care for babies, and made it obvious they expected people to give them stuff. 

Even their TLC show revealed more of their crazy lifestyle. It was after that was canceled that Gil and Kelly really went into overdrive when it came to rebranding. Gone was the blog that showed their real life, gone was the whole courtship talk(replaced with dating with a purpose), gone was the crazy clothing, gone was the mentions of their horrific political beliefs, Kelly even lied on the blog to say that the cake they had at Erin's wedding that was specifically made for Gothard was instead a groom's cake. It was pretty obvious that Kelly and Gil realized that if they wanted to make it in reality television they had to change their image and make it look like they wren't like the Duggars. 

Do you think the Bates show should be canceled or stay on the air?

1 minute ago, formergothardite said:

Don't you think that the Bates learned some from watching the backlash to the Duggars? The Bates started out just as awful as the Dugggars, but seemed to have watched the reaction to the Duggars and changed to hide the bad part of their life. There is a reason people thought they were more wacky than the Duggars when we first found them. On top of the shrine to racism, the Bates talked about their crazy beliefs, wrote about Bates children fasting and weeping in hopes Kelly would get pregnant, told how Kelly didn't even bother to care for babies, and wrote how they just expected people to give them stuff. 

Even their TLC show revealed more of their crazy lifestyle. It was after that was canceled that Gil and Kelly really went into overdrive when it came to rebranding. Gone was the blog that showed their real life, gone was the whole courtship talk(replaced with dating with a purpose), gone was the crazy clothing, gone was the mentions of their horrific political beliefs, Kelly even lied on the blog to say that the cake they had at Erin's wedding that was specifically made for Gothard was instead a groom's cake. It was pretty obvious that Kelly and Gil realized that if they wanted to make it in reality television they had to change their image and make it look like they wren't like the Duggars. 

Do you think the Bates show should be canceled or stay on the air?

you are right I went back and watched clips from ABC last night that I hadn't watched since they first aired. when I was doing my response above I wasn't really thinking that far back I was just thinking of now I guess. as for should it be cancelled honestly I don't care either way. just like with the Duggar's after the whole josh thing I really wanted it cancelled now i'm just like it will or it won't be cancelled.  and I don't give it that much thought.  I still watch them from time to time for their train wreck quality . when I can find them as I don't have cable, but then I can go a long time not even thinking about either family or their show. 

All I can say is that the Bates PR seems to be working.

I think that the show should be cancelled for reasons mentioned upthread.

But the biggest reason to me?  That Kelly and Gil are far more media saavy and know exactly how to portray their family, lifestyle and beliefs as harmless and normal.   They are not.  But somehow there are people (too many of them IMHO) who really want to think that this oddball family is somehow better than they really are. They fall hook, line and sinker for the nice wholesome Christian family image and I think Kelly and Gil know that.  It's obvious that they took cues from JB and J'chelle on what not to do plus they know how to play things better.

I know of people who, after learning about the molestations in the Duggar family, were outraged but they then transferred their Duggar love to the Bateseses.  It's like they want to believe the hype and the BS.   The Duggars were a disappointment to them but hey, look over here, there's this other big family from Tennessee.   We can like them instead!

Not to imply that there are similar to the Duggars' skeletons in the Bateseseses closet, outside of Gil's involvement with IBLP, but one would think that people might stop and think that "all that glitters is not gold" here after being "disappointed" by the Duggars.

I think the way the two families (Bates & Duggars) are presented has a lot to do with the networks they're on.  
TLC has been known (at least in recent years) as kind of a freak-factor network.  Of course the Duggars fit right in and there's no problem with the network portraying them as a bit weird.  Whereas UPtv was the evolution of a Gospel Channel, and is more of a positive, family-friendly, Christian-friendly (without beating you over the head) channel.  So, in my opinion, they make an effort to make the Bates seem relate-able.

13 minutes ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

So, in my opinion, they make an effort to make the Bates seem relate-able.

And the Bates family scrubbed their blog and internet presence in order to seem relatable. 

Thank goodness the internet is forever and we can still pull up Mr Gothard's birthday cake,  and Kelly's more obnoxious ramblings.  The Bateses are way more media savvy than the Dugs.  And Gil is way more upwardly mobile in IBLP than JB.  That is why they are far more dangerous.  

Oh, and with the Bateses and politics - I quite forgot to mention dear little #superficialtwit Alyssa's campaigning for Taliban Dan Webster.

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

And the Bates family scrubbed their blog and internet presence in order to seem relatable. 

Thank goodness the internet is forever and we can still pull up Mr Gothard's birthday cake,  and Kelly's more obnoxious ramblings.  The Bateses are way more media savvy than the Dugs.  And Gil is way more upwardly mobile in IBLP than JB.  That is why they are far more dangerous.  

Oh, and with the Bateses and politics - I quite forgot to mention dear little #superficialtwit Alyssa's campaigning for Taliban Dan Webster.

How about that time he ran for Speaker of the House and she tried to get people to vote for him in a poll? We spent the longest time trying to figure out if she honestly thought that’s how the Speaker is elected or not. (We never did come to a general consensus...  :pb_lol:)

And here’s a post Alyssa made after her father-in-law was re-elected, along with a comment by her mother:

Spoiler

90F55AC6-A81B-4031-AE57-FE4EAF3A5D7C.thumb.png.181d94e61d4834b2fd4c475482b9f3c4.png

Because a guy nicknamed Taliban Dan is exactly where you should look for inspiration if your goal is to implement fundamentalist biblical law across the country. 

Archived