IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers 2

Coconut Flan

25 minutes ago, hollyandivy said:

Are you sure they let him keep the money? Or did he have to reinvest it in the family business, after all they are raising him?

More than once their youngest son has said he prays every night for a godly wife. These folks are beyond obsessed with marriage and family. They want Denver to be able to marry young and start a big family. So I bet he is allowed and encouraged to save up his money for a family. 

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They have hired help. Plus Carson never goes on tour anymore. So he can help with the farm. I’m pretty sure Carson’s house was built on Bontrager land. And Mitch and Bryn live in the Inn I think. They run it while living in it. 

Yup. They've had hired help for years. Some of them are Mennonites.

They even hired the oldest Bowers boy when the Bowers were there offloading their daughters.  

I believe the story is that that Carson's house will eventually become Ma and Pa Bontrager's retirement residence, when they have married off most of their kids. Its one story (with some sort of odd loft storage) and 3 bedrooms at most.  I guess Carson and Joshua will get to duel over who gets the big family homestead.

10 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

They even hired the oldest Bowers boy when the Bowers were there offloading their daughters.  

I believe the story is that that Carson's house will eventually become Ma and Pa Bontrager's retirement residence, when they have married off most of their kids. Its one story (with some sort of odd loft storage) and 3 bedrooms at most.  I guess Carson and Joshua will get to duel over who gets the big family homestead.

That little loft does seem fun for the kids. Although it would make me a bit nervous for very little kids. 

1 hour ago, hollyandivy said:

Are you sure they let him keep the money? Or did he have to reinvest it in the family business, after all they are raising him?

Denver placed 3rd in 2016, according to the Bible Bee website, but Taylor won the senior division that year. He's the one with a nice wad of Bible Bee money. No idea how much Denver got for 3rd place. 

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Here's the prize page of the 2017 NBB rulebook:

image.png.ffba66245531131faf152abb20c2370c.png

https://biblebee.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/BB_Comp-Rulebook-V1.7-170626-mjs2.pdf

I think Taylor has won $$ at least three times at the Bible Bee. I think he's won at least $50,000 total.

Damn! Do you think they'd let a 30-year-old Canadian agnostic take part in the Bible Bee?

Ok guys I was thinking Denver was the big winner but it’s Lincoln Taylor Bontrager. If you look at the past winners, Lincoln Taylor won the Junior division in 2015 ($20,000) and the Senior division in 2016 ($50,000). Therefore he didn’t enter in 2017 because I think if you’ve gotten first place in a division, you can’t play again in that division. So Lincoln Taylor must have $70,000!!! Sheesh and he’s not even 18! 

I’m calling him Lincoln Taylor because he goes by both names and it’s confusing. 

21 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

So Lincoln Taylor must have $70,000!!! Sheesh and he’s not even 18! 

Every fundy maiden age 13-17 in the American Midwest and the Canadian prairie provinces probably doodles "Mrs. Lincoln Taylor Bontrager" in their homeskool workbooks.

I don’t know if anyone wants to mark this down on a list somewhere but today is Carver’s 17th birthday. I’m pretty sure we don’t have too many exact birthdays of the underage Bowers kids. So according to the Instagram post, Carver was born 10/23/01.

On 10/19/2018 at 6:36 PM, HereticHick said:

As hierarchical as some fundie families can be, I would think it likely that Mitchell would be given first refusal on the main house.  That said, Carson seems to be the natural born farmer so it would make sense for him to take it on (if he even wanted it!).

On 10/19/2018 at 10:28 AM, Markie said:

Question about the Bontragers: They say they are Dairy Farmers, yet the whole family goes on musical tours. The livestock needs to be fed and milked daily. Do they have hired workers on the farm? Or is it really just an acreage with a couple of animals? 

I grew up on a farm and we we always had to time our vacations carefully. We didn’t have the extra work of having to milk twice a day. 

It is a farm.  But the Bonts are quite well off and in recent years seem to play at farming more than do it.  It is a curated blog, just like many others.

They have plenty of hired labor for both the farm and the Inn (which is more of a motel.)  If you look at their concert itinerary, they are actually on the road for most of the busiest times of the farming year.  Then they come back and the boys chop wood and photograph themselves "farming" for the looks of it.  The certainly don't do it all by themselves.

Yes, Carson has stopped touring and *may* be doing more farm management.  Mitch and Whatsherface Boyer moved into the Inn (they fired the previous non-family Inn manager 'cos Mitch needed the job) and he also has the seasonal compost business.   Allison also works at the Inn (in theory) but appears to be able to nip off at the drop of a hat to tour, visit Chels, or travel.  Someone else manages reception, cleans the rooms, arranges for laundry, and orders pre-packaged muffins for continental breakfasts on a daily basis.

Please everyone, let's not get poor Denver married off yet!  He's only 19 and Daddy Bont will have to set him up to take over the local coffee shop or used car lot before he gets hitched.  The farm can't support them all.

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Yes, Carson has stopped touring and *may* be doing more farm management.  Mitch and Whatsherface Boyer moved into the Inn (they fired the previous non-family Inn manager 'cos Mitch needed the job) and he also has the seasonal compost business.   Allison also works at the Inn (in theory) but appears to be able to nip off at the drop of a hat to tour, visit Chels, or travel.  Someone else manages reception, cleans the rooms, arranges for laundry, and orders pre-packaged muffins for continental breakfasts on a daily basis.

In the interest of being fair... I'm quite positive the previous manager was not fired, but chose to get a different job, buy a house, etc, at least partially due to a baby on the way (and I'm sure because it was a pain being on call constantly). Yes, Carson does a lot on the farm. Maybe mostly managing hired help. I don't know details. And, unless a lot has changed recently, Mitchell, Bryn, and Alison do  actually do the great majority of the reception, managing, laundry, etc. 

Actually, I think Bryn worked at the hotel before she and Mitchell got together.  And there are pictures of the Bontrager siblings doing deep cleaning at the hotel every year.

I'm not sure its fair to knock the Bontragers for having successful farming operations.

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I'm not sure its fair to knock the Bontragers for having successful farming operations.

I agree! And this is a family that does not shy away from work, they actually get stuff done.

Wasn't there even a pic of them cleaning the Duggars house during a visit? I very much agree that the Bontragers work. They are one of the very few fundie families that I don't feel constantly beg and try to grift (at least from what we see). However, I do still find it weird they never really work their farm much. I guess if they are wealthy enough to pay others to do it and galavant around singing...I guess to each their own. ?

53 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

Wasn't there even a pic of them cleaning the Duggars house during a visit?... I very much agree that the Bontragers work. T. I guess if they are wealthy enough to pay others to do it and galavant around singing...I guess to each their own. ?

Galavanting (and campaigning for Ted Cruz) is their "ministry" doncha know??

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Galavanting (and campaigning for Ted Cruz) is their "ministry" doncha know??

so gross

They are hard workers, they get shit done and that's what makes them even scarier IMHO. Doesn't one of the sons even have an online degree from a real college?

5 hours ago, ophelia said:

They are hard workers, they get shit done and that's what makes them even scarier IMHO. Doesn't one of the sons even have an online degree from a real college?

That’s Joshua the Smug. 

Joshua-smug's latest post is ranting about Halloween.  

One of the commenters:

"My favorite Bible verse is the one that says when we dress up in a costume or color ourselves that the enemy owns us and we’ve made a pact with the Devil."

Lady, there are 31,000 verses in the Bible.

If that one is your favorite, I think you are doing Christianity wrong.

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

"My favorite Bible verse is the one that says when we dress up in a costume or color ourselves that the enemy owns us and we’ve made a pact with the Devil."

SO what about dressing up for your Christmas pageants? Or does that not count because Jesus? I am confused!

35 minutes ago, hollyandivy said:

SO what about dressing up for your Christmas pageants? Or does that not count because Jesus? I am confused!

Yep. I’ve never seen one fundie forbid their children from playing dress up. I’ve seen plenty of them forbid certain costumes. But not all costumes. Fundie little boys often seem encourage to dress up in a masculine role like fireman, police officer, or construction worker (I know plenty of women in those careers but I’m sure fundies would disapprove). 

22 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Joshua-smug's latest post is ranting about Halloween.  

One of the commenters:

Lady, there are 31,000 verses in the Bible.

If that one is your favorite, I think you are doing Christianity wrong.

I grew up going to Baptist Sunday school where we memorized and memorized, and I don’t recall such a verse in the Bible. Granted, my church was not against Halloween, but you’d think somebody would have found that verse for the curiosity factor 

On 10/26/2018 at 5:18 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yep. I’ve never seen one fundie forbid their children from playing dress up. I’ve seen plenty of them forbid certain costumes. But not all costumes. Fundie little boys often seem encourage to dress up in a masculine role like fireman, police officer, or construction worker (I know plenty of women in those careers but I’m sure fundies would disapprove). 

If I had any kids I surely would forbid some costumes: everything that involves black facing or cultural appropriation.

Josh is such a smug asshole. He make me really angry. 

On 10/27/2018 at 12:34 AM, HereticHick said:

So Lolly The Fucking Clown is actually an agent of Beelzebub? 

It all makes sense now. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived