IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers 2

Coconut Flan

I go back and forth all the time. My current choice:
Barney: Joachiam Phoenix
cousin Olive: Blake Lively
Dr Redfern: John Goodman
Valancy:???Rachel Weisz (this is the casting I struggle most with)
I'm open to suggestions - I am secretly dreaming that some Holywood producer will read this thread and make it real)
I don't have any suggestions but I would def watch this movie [emoji81]

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thing they can remind us of gender norms so early on in life, though it would be funny if Jubilee was in blue stripes with the truck and Wallace had the pink. 

Ohhhh! Blue Castle! I’ve often thought about who I would cast in the roles. 

Valency: Ellen Page or Tatiana Maslany

Barney: Sam Heugan

Dr. Redfern: I like John Goodman

Violet: Sarah Gadon 

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If they didn’t caption this, people would assume these two are twins. They have the same eyes and hair. 

EA5C57B3-F6DE-4C6D-BD86-64AE8205067D.jpeg

As double first cousins, I believe they are genetically half siblings. 

1 minute ago, anjulibai said:

As double first cousins, I believe they are genetically half siblings. 

I believe if you look at their genetics, they would be like half siblings. But I often imagine double first cousins looking even more similar than half siblings. I don’t know why. But in my head, they should look more similar although genetically, they would share genetics like a half sibling.

17 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I believe if you look at their genetics, they would be like half siblings. But I often imagine double first cousins looking even more similar than half siblings. I don’t know why. But in my head, they should look more similar although genetically, they would share genetics like a half sibling.

It makes sense that double first cousins may look more similar than half-siblings.  Taking this set as the example, Cassidy and Carolina look very similar and Joshua and Carson also have many features in common.  A typical set of half-siblings will only have 1 set of parental features in common, with the other parents looking very different from each other (unless the shared parent had a very particular 'type' and even then the genetic history will still be different).

1 hour ago, Syriana said:

It makes sense that double first cousins may look more similar than half-siblings.  Taking this set as the example, Cassidy and Carolina look very similar and Joshua and Carson also have many features in common.  A typical set of half-siblings will only have 1 set of parental features in common, with the other parents looking very different from each other (unless the shared parent had a very particular 'type' and even then the genetic history will still be different).

It makes me think of the half siblings in my family. They don’t look alike. Mostly because their different fathers have very different looks themselves. Even though they are all the same race, one father is tall and skinny with light eyes and a lighter complexion while the other is short and squat with dark eyes and a dark complexion. So the half siblings look so very different. 

ETA: clarify these are cousins of mine. I don’t have half siblings. My post sounded like I did. 

On 10/12/2018 at 7:14 PM, browngrl said:

I have read every book LM Montgomery wrote but Blue Castle is my absolute favourite. When I am bored  I think about how I would write a screen play for this book and who I would cast in the various roles. This is in my top 100 books of all time. 

This is one of the few times I've ever encountered someone who has even heard of The Blue Castle, let alone read it. I'm a diehard LMM fan, but had not read The Blue Castle until a decade ago. It's in my top 100 too.

I read a weird little novel by Colleen McCullough called "The Ladies of Missalonghi" when I was in my early teens. The story really stuck with me over the years, so imagine my surprise when I started reading The Blue Castle, and immediately recognized the plot! It was nice to encounter them in that order, though. Even without the taint of alleged plagiarism to sour my memory of it, McCullough's novel was a shabby, inelegant effort compared to The Blue Castle. 

The Bontragers posted on their blog about their family camp and mentioned the Bowers: they say,

Thanks again to the Wissmanns and Bowers for joining us in this endeavor! Thank-you to all who came and made Homeschool Family Camp 2018 a reality!

If they're thanking the Bowers for joining them in the endeavour, the Bowers helped organize. I would think this means that there's still a fair amount of communication going on between the parents, even though they're not neighbours any more.

And while we're casting Blue Castle, what about Cecily, Roaring Abe, or the Methodist minister? Those are some plum small parts. Valancy's family and Olive's fiance can be played by whomever, but the smaller parts have some meat.

1 hour ago, Jigsaw3 said:

If they're thanking the Bowers for joining them in the endeavour, the Bowers helped organize. I would think this means that there's still a fair amount of communication going on between the parents, even though they're not neighbours any more.

Yes, because they are planning future arranged marriages. 

9 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Surely there will eventually be a Bontrager-Wissman or Bowers-Wissmann marriage, right?

I’ve been waiting on a Wissmann Bontrager match for awhile now. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s been a pairing in the past that didn’t work out but was never announced on the blog. 

The Wissmanns have more girls than boys and the Bons/Bowers have more boys than girls. So I’m guessing there has to be a match in there somewhen in the next 10 years.

42 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve been waiting on a Wissmann Bontrager match for awhile now. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s been a pairing in the past that didn’t work out but was never announced on the blog. 

The Wissmanns have more girls than boys and the Bons/Bowers have more boys than girls. So I’m guessing there has to be a match in there somewhen in the next 10 years.

Well, Chelsy admitted that she gave away a heart piece...

25 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Well, Chelsy admitted that she gave away a heart piece...

I did make a fundie fanfic story about Chelsy and Matthias having a relationship that went sour so Matthias decided to make his wedding day the exact same day as Chelsy’s. 

There is absolutely no truth in this but it’s fun to make this stuff up sometimes. 

Possible Bon/Bow/Wiss matches based on age and opposite sex. 

Charlie B and Susanna W

Alison B and Stephen W

Denver B and Alaythia W

^^^These are just the ones 18+. There are lots kids still underage in these families to match up. 

We should probably keep an eye on the Burnett twins as well. JD and Abbie’s wedding is coming up and I bet the Bontragers and Wissmanns will try to be there (unless they are touring at the time). The Burnett twins are very pretty and may catch the eye of Denver, Stephen, or Charlie. Or a Bates boy. Or they might already be taken by the Duggar boy twins. More fundie fanfic from my head!

I never thought Cassidy and Carolina look alike until this picture. I very much prefer their more natural look without the heavy use of make-up they used to wear, but, of course, to each their own.

Lil' Jubilee is a carbon copy of her father. I like how Carson and Lina seem to lead a much more private life than Josh and Cass, though it's mostly Josh who can't keep his big mouth shut, not Cass. Carson and Lina probably share all the hatred and prejudices Josh does, but at least they aren't preaching it all out on the Internet.

I’m so curious as to who Denver will choose for a bride. It might be a little while yet since he’s only 19. But he’s very handsome and he has money from the Bible bee. He’s basically one of the biggest catches in fundie land. 

54677270-156D-480F-9429-B812D4EC7312.jpeg

I think the Bontragers are more serious than some fundies about making sure their sons can support future families before they get hitched. Thanks to that sensible Mennonite upbringing of mom and dad, perhaps.

I wonder if there is enough of a rental market in their area for Denver to buy a fixer upper with his Bible Bee money & renovate with family help? He doesn't have enough to pay cash, but he has enough for a substantial down payment, I think.

5 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I think the Bontragers are more serious than some fundies about making sure their sons can support future families before they get hitched. Thanks to that sensible Mennonite upbringing of mom and dad, perhaps.

I wonder if there is enough of a rental market in their area for Denver to buy a fixer upper with his Bible Bee money & renovate with family help? He doesn't have enough to pay cash, but he has enough for a substantial down payment, I think.

Josh was only 20 when he married and I’m pretty sure they don’t own a home. I’m guessing Denver could get married right now if he wanted to. But he might want to wait a little while. He knows he will probably have a kid around his first anniversary and that’s a pretty overwhelming prospect at such a young age. 

Question about the Bontragers: They say they are Dairy Farmers, yet the whole family goes on musical tours. The livestock needs to be fed and milked daily. Do they have hired workers on the farm? Or is it really just an acreage with a couple of animals? 

I grew up on a farm and we we always had to time our vacations carefully. We didn’t have the extra work of having to milk twice a day. 

53 minutes ago, Markie said:

Question about the Bontragers: They say they are Dairy Farmers, yet the whole family goes on musical tours. The livestock needs to be fed and milked daily. Do they have hired workers on the farm? Or is it really just an acreage with a couple of animals? 

I grew up on a farm and we we always had to time our vacations carefully. We didn’t have the extra work of having to milk twice a day. 

They have hired help. Plus Carson never goes on tour anymore. So he can help with the farm. I’m pretty sure Carson’s house was built on Bontrager land. And Mitch and Bryn live in the Inn I think. They run it while living in it. 

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m so curious as to who Denver will choose for a bride. It might be a little while yet since he’s only 19. But he’s very handsome and he has money from the Bible bee. He’s basically one of the biggest catches in fundie land. 

54677270-156D-480F-9429-B812D4EC7312.jpeg

Are you sure they let him keep the money? Or did he have to reinvest it in the family business, after all they are raising him?

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived