IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Part 6: Two Left Limping Along

Coconut Flan

If you have Esprit where you are, I can recommend their just-jeans-damn-it. Straight legs, decent quality and no “extras“. They even do different lengths which is quite the novelty around here.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did actually find a nice pair of basic straight leg jeans recently. They're a bit too short, but I don't care, I was way too excited to find them. They're comfortable, too. I have the hardest time finding jeans because I have wide-ish hips, really long legs and a relatively short torso. So if they're long enough, they're too big around the waist, and if they fit around the waist, they're too short. Or they seem to be designed for someone with about a metre between their navel and crotch (Old Navy, I'm looking at you).

22 hours ago, FleeJanaFree said:

Does anyone recall how Brigid and Gabe met? It was before I started checking out this thread.

I believe that Jessica and Brigid met Levi and Gabe at a historical reenactment.  The Boyers were singing and the men were cosplaying.

13 hours ago, VVV said:

I have several pairs of basic, normal jeans that I got at Costco. Just saying.

Costco for the win.  I buy my basic straight leg jeans there too.  They also come in different lengths.

5 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

And all this is why I end up in "mom jeans". :sigh:

Mom jeans for the win!

Re: Costco jeans. If those are the Gloria Vanderbilt jeans (particularly the Amanda style), I've relied on those for years since the invasion of the belly pants which really, folks, do NOT look good on more than about 25% of the population -- and I'm NOT in that 25%.

4 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Mom jeans for the win!

Re: Costco jeans. If those are the Gloria Vanderbilt jeans (particularly the Amanda style), I've relied on those for years since the invasion of the belly pants which really, folks, do NOT look good on more than about 25% of the population -- and I'm NOT in that 25%.

Oh, extreme-low-rise was a fad from the deepest pits of hell. I'd rather live with skinny jeans forever than return to that. Even women and girls with beautiful figures (lord, I sound old...) looked terrible in those, with the tops of their underwear showing.

7 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I'd rather live with skinny jeans forever than return to that.

Depending on fit & cut, skinny jeans can be OK, even for an elderly person like me. 

There is no version of low-rise pants, OTOH, that are flattering or even tolerable. It is indeed a fad from the pits of hell, pushed by Satan's minions in the so-called fashion industry.

I honestly don't mind skinny jeans - even prefer them sometimes, to be honest - but I'm just sick of them.

And if you had told me ~15 years ago that I'd be complaining about jeans that were too high-waisted, I wouldn't have believed you. That ultra low rise trend was way too real. Buying jeans now is tough, but in 2002 it was a nightmare.

18 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Tight rolled jeans (didn’t realize there was a term for them) are definitely still in. I know this because I’ve been looking for new jeans and most of them are rolled up at the bottom and dammit I just want jeans that are normal jeans. Like a nice pair of basic straight leg jeans. That aren’t ripped, artfully stained, cropped, ultra high waisted, bedazzled or rolled up. Just. Jeans.

Try Land’s End, LL Bean, or Eddie Bauer. I’m tall and I can thankfully find jeans there. Also, I still get midrise bootcut, which are comfortable and flattering, and which are apparently now considered mom jeans. I’m okay with that. 

5 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

For anyone looking for plainer, basic jeans, I definitely recommend Target’s Universal Thread collection. It’s basically their Madewell knockoffs. I have a few pairs and they fit really well and there are a variety of washes and styles. 

LOL pretty sure almost all of us who have stepped into this jeans rant are Canadians.  And if you don't know, Target crashed and burned spectacularly when they attempted to move into the Canadian market.  

If you are a larger lady like myself, Torrid has jeggings that are my favorite.  They're simple and sooo comfy.  They do have stretch, but not enough that it destroys the integrity of the pant, and they look more like a jean than a legging (I call them jeans, but I know in the store they were called jeggings).  I'm going to get more pairs, honestly.  And that's saying something since I HATE skinny jeans and tight clothes...except for these!

Torrid and Old Navy are my places for jeans.  Torrid does have some of the weird shredded bedazzled crap but they also have a Slim Boot cut that I adore and really nice stretchy-but-not-TOO-stretchy denim and sort-of-bootcut-but-not-obnoxiously-flared-or-bellbottomesque legs.  As far as regular straight leg jeans go, last time I was in Old Navy they had a bunch.

3 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

LOL pretty sure almost all of us who have stepped into this jeans rant are Canadians.  And if you don't know, Target crashed and burned spectacularly when they attempted to move into the Canadian market.  

Yep! I noticed that as well! Also, I've seen Costco mentioned and Costco in St. John's is hell. Satan lives there and drives all the people there crazy. We're nice people, but someone's Nan will take your hand off over some boneless, skinless chicken breasts. 

Lately I have been buying Old Navy's Rockstar jeans. They must be intended to be worn VERY tightly because if I go a few sized up form my usual they fit like a glove. :shock: Those things weren't cheap though. Since when are Old Navy jeans $45 a pair?!?!

5 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Spent a good chunk of time in Canada as a preteen-teen! And I was waiting all day to wade into this talk! And I...think...I remember the Target stuff. Didn't work, if I recall.

I swear by Boden. They cost a fair bit, but they wear like iron and come in lots of cuts and lots of lengths (tall, regular, and petite) I am fracking evangelical about them because they don't ever sexualise or diminish girls in their advertising (looking at you, every single other purveyor of clothing for girls) They do a lot of work supporting factory safety and informal-production safety, too.

LLBean seams (ha! seams!) to have the most classic no-nonsense cuts. Eddie Bauer had similar no-nonsense cuts during that low-rise fad we keep shuddering about. (ugh)

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Yep! I noticed that as well! Also, I've seen Costco mentioned and Costco in St. John's is hell. Satan lives there and drives all the people there crazy. We're nice people, but someone's Nan will take your hand off over some boneless, skinless chicken breasts. 

The Richmond BC one is insane.  Those  aunties will cut a bitch for a free sample of smoked salmon.  

12 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

The Richmond BC one is insane.  Those  aunties will cut a bitch for a free sample of smoked salmon.  

You say that as though those aunties were in the wrong. (There is nothing wrong about prioritizing smoked salmon samples!)

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Also, I've seen Costco mentioned and Costco in St. John's is hell.

Costco anywhere is hellish.  But in my Costco the staff are just lovely.  And the Pharmacy staff greet me by name.

I have the luxury of being able to hit it in off hours.  Mostly.  I joined because epi-hound's very expensive meds were cheaper there.  And then I found our human meds were cheaper there too.

However.  Looks down at self:  Costco jeans, Costco bra, Costco panties, Costco socks, not Costco top, but that is just today.  I have Costco tops.  And some Costco shoes!

Looks at storage:  Costco loo paper, paper towels, organic chicken, canned tomatoes ...

Looks into family room:  Costco area rug.

Looks outside:  Oh my, those are Costco patio chairs and table.

I'm a freaking Costco bitch!

SEND HELP!

38 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I'm a freaking Costco bitch!

Well, unlike the great Wal-Satan (and I have shopped there), Costco does not create guilt for me.

Its products are good as are its return & other customer policies. Best of all, they treat & pay their employees pretty well. It's generally good news for a community when Costco opens a store.

You can get the g.v. Amanda jean on Amazon as well. They're at kohls too and kohls has killer sales sometimes. 

I'm pretty sure j.c. Penney has gloria Vanderbilt too.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:55 AM, IntrinsicallyDisordered said:

You guys I think I found the worst jeans.

Reveal hidden contents

agg94382_blue_xl

Sorry but THESE are definitely the worst. 

Spoiler

420930B0-403E-4BF6-8D1A-55802FA2421E.thumb.jpeg.f2b9d33b10ff3f059519146538f67e42.jpeg

The homemade ones are pretty fabulous too. :pb_lol:

Spoiler

D2C8A915-F582-4608-9E4D-9B85E2C00B8B.jpeg.368784b71f3558566aed33a87f3b2ed2.jpeg

Edited to add: But they have pockets!

15 minutes ago, FiddleDD said:

Sorry but THESE are definitely the worst. 

Hide contents

420930B0-403E-4BF6-8D1A-55802FA2421E.thumb.jpeg.f2b9d33b10ff3f059519146538f67e42.jpeg

The homemade ones are pretty fabulous too. :pb_lol:

Hide contents

D2C8A915-F582-4608-9E4D-9B85E2C00B8B.jpeg.368784b71f3558566aed33a87f3b2ed2.jpeg

Edited to add: But they have pockets!

MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Jesus! @FiddleDD those are awful! 

Spread kindness? You might try being kind to your Mom! 

Spoiler

Blah, blah, blah Jesus blah the Lord blah bla blah

56 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Dear Jesus! @FiddleDD those are awful! 

Spread kindness? You might try being kind to your Mom! 

Hide contents

“He adds no sorrow with it.” Great way to guilt someone for feeling depressed about anything, and to keep them under your thumb (parents and patriarchs, I’m looking at you) and not seek to change circumstances that are stifling creativity, intellect, and joy.

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Right--can we talk about the 90% less God-stuff on Brigid's blog and Instagram?

Brigid showing behind the scenes of drafting a pattern

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived