IGNORED

Jana 6: What's in Store for 2018?

Coconut Flan

This is my first time posting & I'm not sure if this is the right place but it applies directly to Jana so I figured it's okay?

I was looking at the pictures from their trip to NZ earlier this year and (being in a sorority myself) and her shirt caught my eye. It's very clearly a sorority shirt for Kappa Delta, and includes their symbols as well as their letters/name. I dug a little into the University of Arkansas Instagram and they wore these exact shirts in 2015. I know from my own experience that we are encouraged to only pass down these shirts to other girls in our sorority/never donate them because there is this concept that anyone wearing "our letters" is representing our house and its values, so I'm not sure how she could have gotten one unless it got donated by mistake/by an apathetic alum/was borrowed from a friend. Anyway, I saw this and thought it was interesting especially since I'm rooting for Jana to break out of her parent's lifestyle!

Side note: KD is a Christian sorority so if Jana was to join one (highly unlikely I know) I could see her in KD

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 11.58.38 PM.png

Spoiler

Screen_Shot_2018-04-03_at_11_47.41_PM.png

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KD is a christian sorority? Or was it founded as a Christian sorority because it's apart of the panhellenic council (sincerely an alumna of gamma phi beta).

The only thing I can think of is that they still get clothing at goodwill and that's where she picked it out because of the design.

2 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

KD is a christian sorority? Or was it founded as a Christian sorority because it's apart of the panhellenic council (sincerely an alumna of gamma phi beta).

The only thing I can think of is that they still get clothing at goodwill and that's where she picked it out because of the design.

You're right, it was founded when most sororities were Christian by default! But there are other chapters affiliated with Jewish values (SDT, AEPhi) or some that were founded late enough that they have no religious affiliation, and I would be a lot more hesitant to speculate if I saw her in a shirt from one of those houses.

It would pretty cool if Jana was a double secret Razorback/KD, but I’m guessing she bought that shirt at goodwill and does not even know it’s a sorority tee.  I still have sorority tees because we were told to never donate them. 

Weird! 

Lol, there's no way she has any ties to the sorority! She might not even know the significance behind it unless someone asked her or told her about it. Like it's been mentioned, they love to go clothes hunting at thrift stores and Goodwill, so there's a good chance she picked it up there for its pretty design. It also caught my attention when I first saw her wear it in NZ.

A couple of weeks ago, Pickles FB released an old pic of Jana and Joy shopping at Walmart. She was wearing the exact KD shirt and the photo was taken before Joy was courting (so had to have been before Nov 2016) so it isn't a new shirt for her.

I honestly can’t see Jana being in a sorority simply because I wonder what their opinions would be on the initiation ritual as well as their views on women. Sororities are about female empowerment. I could see Jana being a KD simply because of their work with the Girl Scouts and seeing how much she loves kids. I still have all of my sorority clothing, we were told we had to keep it or give it to the chapter for others to use since non members couldn’t display the symbols and letters.

12 hours ago, Joyfully_Unavailable said:

I honestly can’t see Jana being in a sorority simply because I wonder what their opinions would be on the initiation ritual as well as their views on women. Sororities are about female empowerment. I could see Jana being a KD simply because of their work with the Girl Scouts and seeing how much she loves kids. I still have all of my sorority clothing, we were told we had to keep it or give it to the chapter for others to use since non members couldn’t display the symbols and letters.

The biggest hurdle, bar none, would be that she isn't in college, and hasn't graduated from any college. You can't join otherwise. Sororities don't usually market themselves as being about female empowerment (though it can often be a member's experience). At lot of the language sororities use about their goals is from the time of their founding, 1850 on up, so the wording is about sisterhood, high aims of scholarship, and doing good for the world (often in Christian terms, as are initiations- nobody's doing blood sacrifice, maybe a little bible reading by candlelight lol). I don't think their family is opposed to women-only stuff, leadership roles leading other women wouldn't be frowned upon. 

I agree with you I don't think she would join! Beyond not being qualified, I just don't think she'd want to. Jana wouldn't wear matching short yellow shorts as the KDs originally paired with that shirt :pb_lol:

14 hours ago, rosie22 said:

This is my first time posting & I'm not sure if this is the right place but it applies directly to Jana so I figured it's okay?

I was looking at the pictures from their trip to NZ earlier this year and (being in a sorority myself) and her shirt caught my eye. It's very clearly a sorority shirt for Kappa Delta, and includes their symbols as well as their letters/name. I dug a little into the University of Arkansas Instagram and they wore these exact shirts in 2015. I know from my own experience that we are encouraged to only pass down these shirts to other girls in our sorority/never donate them because there is this concept that anyone wearing "our letters" is representing our house and its values, so I'm not sure how she could have gotten one unless it got donated by mistake/by an apathetic alum/was borrowed from a friend. Anyway, I saw this and thought it was interesting especially since I'm rooting for Jana to break out of her parent's lifestyle!

Side note: KD is a Christian sorority so if Jana was to join one (highly unlikely I know) I could see her in KD

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 11.58.38 PM.png

Hide contents

Screen_Shot_2018-04-03_at_11_47.41_PM.png

I was a KD in college, yes the foundation and rituals are Protestant but there's also a rule that your only suppose to initiate virgins lol and I don't know a single chaptervthat abides by that... I mean we wouldn't have had a chapter itbwouldve been maybe 3 girls tops. Quite a few sororities have similar regulations but it's pretty much Ignored just like my military husband is technically only allowed to have sex in missionary position according to army standard. 

I definitely don't think Jana is a sorority member, but the Greek culture at the University of Arkansas is definitely very heavily Christian (while also, yes, being very party heavy). Some of the campus ministries, which draw huge crowds every week, particularly cater to fraternity and sorority members.  From what I've heard, being a non-Christian in a sorority can be a very isolating experience.

I'm learning so much! I guess I just assumed that unless they were actually designated for christianity (like local sorority) that they were relatively secular. Like we had bible study groups for greeks but that's as much as we did.

It's interesting though because Jana I think would be also on my least likely to go greek, I actually see Jill and maybe Jessa? 

2 hours ago, pandora said:

The biggest hurdle, bar none, would be that she isn't in college, and hasn't graduated from any college. You can't join otherwise. Sororities don't usually market themselves as being about female empowerment (though it can often be a member's experience). At lot of the language sororities use about their goals is from the time of their founding, 1850 on up, so the wording is about sisterhood, high aims of scholarship, and doing good for the world (often in Christian terms, as are initiations- nobody's doing blood sacrifice, maybe a little bible reading by candlelight lol). I don't think their family is opposed to women-only stuff, leadership roles leading other women wouldn't be frowned upon. 

I agree with you I don't think she would join! Beyond not being qualified, I just don't think she'd want to. Jana wouldn't wear matching short yellow shorts as the KDs originally paired with that shirt :pb_lol:

Oh yes, I was pretending this scenario as if she were in college already. The chances of her branching off and going to a large state university when none of the other siblings had is quite small. Sororities are a large time commitment and with all the little ones to watch and take care of, she wouldn’t have time to participate in anything other than classes. I never interpreted ritual as a conflict with any beliefs I had, but I also didn’t grow up fundie. Are the Duggar kids even allowed to keep secrets? There would just be too much going on that JB couldn’t control that I think would drive him to not even consider the idea. And I’m SURE if he saw those yellow shorts he would think the organization was demonic for defrauding him! 

4 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Quite a few sororities have similar regulations but it's pretty much Ignored just like my military husband is technically only allowed to have sex in missionary position according to army standard. 

Say what now?

3 minutes ago, seraaa said:

Say what now?

Yup. 'Tis true. Otherwise it's sodomy, which is against the UCMJ's edict.

4 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Yup. 'Tis true. Otherwise it's sodomy, which is against the UCMJ's edict.

Oh wow. It seems odd that they'd (still) have a specific proscription against that. I'm guessing that nobody ever is pulled up over it?

Surely there’s a huge difference between reverse missionary (woman-on-top) and other sexual positions and sodomy though?!

47 minutes ago, seraaa said:

Say what now?

Yup, there's tons of out dated rules in every organization if you look hard enough. But as far as what @SapphireSlytherin Said I've always ive understood that rule to have something to do with trying to keep homosexuals out of the military. She might know more about the origin than I do though.

the virgin rule for sororities where the 1800's way of keeping married women out.

I watched the TLC video clip about Jana’s garden, which is really lovely. I would love to see her get a degree (NOT from Crown), maybe horticulture or design. But then I remember a TH she did (Joy’s graduation from SOTDRT) where she said that she never wished she could go to school. I know she’s been taught to say it and believe it but I keep hoping there’s a spark in there somewhere. Who knows what the kidults could do if allowed to. 

@SapphireSlytherin if the military decided to enforce the sexual position thing, they'd run out of AD and Reserve troops in a hurry!!!! 

***speaking as a retired Navy wife

On 3/15/2018 at 12:39 PM, luv2laugh said:

Once again Michelle has been jetsetting around. Pickles has pictures of Michelle skiing in Colorado. I assume Mommy Jana is holding down the fort at home.

Under normal circumstances I would think Jana is holding down the fort but for just a moment imagine this, she has to take care of them one way or the other so would it not be easier and more fun to be in charge without them (JB and Michelle) being there? She rules the roost and does it her way without them pretending to care.

The idea that Jana can't/won't ever join a sorority and wear matching yellow shorts with her sorority sisters just made me sad as I thought about it. I never joined a sorority or anything, but I could have if I wanted to. There's just so many things that she can't/would never LET herself have even if she wanted them and that bums me out. 

I was a northern Jew going through rush at a southern university. I don't think I had ever felt so out of place in my life. I was really interested in joining a sorority, but as another poster mentioned, I had already felt so isolated before even finishing the rush process, I couldn't keep going. 

The first high school I went to had initiation for the incoming grade 9s one afternoon near the beginning of the school year. I just left and went home. It wasn't hazing or anything really close, but it did involve being forced to do a variety of ridiculous, messy, and somewhat humiliating activities as the older grades and teachers watched and cheered/laughed. As someone who was bullied in grade school, was an introvert, and had a lot of anxiety issues, I was just like, "Fuck no. Bye." :pb_lol:

11 hours ago, feministxtian said:

@SapphireSlytherin if the military decided to enforce the sexual position thing, they'd run out of AD and Reserve troops in a hurry!!!! 

***speaking as a retired Navy wife

I'd love to know how'd they'd enforce the rule :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I was a northern Jew going through rush at a southern university. I don't think I had ever felt so out of place in my life. I was really interested in joining a sorority, but as another poster mentioned, I had already felt so isolated before even finishing the rush process, I couldn't keep going. 

Rush at your school is particularly INTENSE! My daughter dropped out, all my respite workers have dropped out. It's just ridiculous here. 

But then again, the ceiling IS the roof. 

I do think Jana for is the great puzzle of the Duggar family. I had always assumed she was "forced" to stay and play CinderJana. Now I tend to think she like many raised in fundy bubble she has some contempt for, fear of, and disdain for the outside world. She may genuinely pity us heathens who have to make our way in the world without abheadship to cover and protect us. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived