IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 2: On to the Honeymoon Somewhere Warm

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

No, 'Mary, Anna and I with our newest sister-in-law' is incorrect. 'Mary, Anna and me with our newest sister-in-law' is correct. Remove Mary and Anna from the sentence. Does 'I with my new sister-in-law' sound right? 

No, but “ my new sister and law and I” does.

2 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

@Rosie is technically correct. The problem is that it's actually a sentence fragment. There is a "this is" that is assumed before the listing of the names, and when you use the verb "to be" you use I, not me. "It is I" . But in this case it's not being used in a formal sense at all and most people would be comfortable with me instead of I. I certainly wouldn't correct anyone for either use on a blog. 

Yes.  That is what I meant when I referred to the nominative form of the pronoun (I) being correct when used with the verb to be.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The kiss was not announced as the couples first kiss. The kisses at the double wedding were announced as firsts, I don’t remember if Mitchell and Brynn’s was. 

I think it’s highly significant it wasn’t mentioned and, given how touchy feely and comfortable Chelsy and John seem together I doubt it was their first kiss. I really hope they weren’t made to feel bad about it or told that it lessens the significance of remaining chaste til marraige. I am positive Steve would be judging Chelsy for it, hell, he’d be judging her for hugging and holding hands, and I hope he doesn’t treat her badly because of it. We know he wouldn’t approve of most of her wardrobe. I can see him using it as a reason not to trust Chelsy as a chaperone if the Maxwell daughters ever court.

If it was their first kiss I’m sure we will be informed of the fact when both families blog about the wedding. If it isn’t mentioned it will be confirmation that they kissed before marraige (and good for them! The no kissing before marriage is very much a modern fundie thing - Chelsy’s Amish and mennonite forbearers would have kissed while engaged).

29 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

That’ll be all the hiking and turkey trots. Perhaps wearing long skirts means they have to work harder. It is a shame they have to wear such unflattering clothes. I wish they would adopt a Bates/Duggar-esque modern modest style, but alas it will never happen. Abby, Bethany and Tina are still young so it remains to be seen what they’ll do, but I see them being more like their aunts in wearing predominantly long skirts. I think they still adopt knee-length occasionally. I don’t think we’ll be seeing Ruthie and Lydia in any kind of knee-length dress any time soon though. It seems ridiculous to stick a three-year-old and two-year-old in great long dresses. 

I suspect Melanie and Elissa wear standard knee length fundie skirts sometimes when they aren’t in the Maxwell home, especially after seeing Chelsy wearing maxi skirts when featured on Titus 2 and her usual skirts the rest of the time. Even NR Anna has been seen showing her calves at a wedding for her side of the family.

It will be interesting to see if NR Anna continues to keep her girls in frumpers while all their cousins wear modern modest. Will they ask why they can’t dress like their cousins and aunts?

Abby’s skirts are already getting noticeably longer, which I think is very sad. She really does seem to be being pushed to grow up, and if Melanie conceives again I think that will escalate.

2 hours ago, lilith said:

It will be interesting to see if NR Anna continues to keep her girls in frumpers while all their cousins wear modern modest. Will they ask why they can’t dress like their cousins and aunts?

Abby’s skirts are already getting noticeably longer, which I think is very sad. She really does seem to be being pushed to grow up, and if Melanie conceives again I think that will escalate.

Abby has been wearing the longer skirts for quite awhile now. She wore them when she was Bethany's age, which makes me think it's her personal choice. Maybe she looks up to the Maxwell side of the family? I can imagine the Maxwell aunts are presented as godly examples for her to follow, while the other aunts are not.

Seeing as how the Duggar and Bates girls wore frumpers and prairie dresses well into their teens, I expect Ruthie and Lydia and any future girls from that branch of the Maxwell family will do likewise. They'll probably be told that while modern modest isn't sinful per se, it's godlier to wear the long dresses that clearly distinguish a female as a Christian.

5 hours ago, grammyj said:

You'very said it beautifully, us mc mom. Agree with you eleventy thousand times. I also find myself thinking about the wedding waaay too much. That wedding seemed "off" somehow.  But you know maybe in C +J's defence, they just tried to do things too fast.

John bought a fixer-upper I think in July  that the couple  had to made livable for after the wedding. Chelsy made her complicated looking dress. They had to plan the wedding and make stuff for that.. John still had his paying work to do.  Chelsy was undoubtedly doing family chores.  That's too much for anybody. Even when other family members pitch in.

I know fundies don't like to wait too long between engagements and weddings,  but I bet if C + J had given themselves a few more months to prepare everything, the wedding might not have been so.......strange. Or disorganized looking.

To be fair ,by the time the wedding day rolled around,  they must have been crazed with exhaustion. That's my theory anyway.  I hope the two of them can really relax and chill  (in a warm place) for their honeymoon. I'd hate to think they went on a Honeymission or something like that.

Crazy with... well something. I'm hoping they are having a nice time, and no conception happens during the honeymoob. Give them at least a bit of time alone together first.

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

Crazy with... well something. I'm hoping they are having a nice time, and no conception happens during the honeymoob. Give them at least a bit of time alone together first.

They are probably hoping for a conception though. Chelsy has often talked about how much she wants babies. And John probably assumes that’s just what happens, barring problems like those experienced by Melanie and Nathan, which he (quite understandably) wouldn’t want for his family.

6 hours ago, lilith said:

The kiss was not announced as the couples first kiss. The kisses at the double wedding were announced as firsts, I don’t remember if Mitchell and Brynn’s was. 

I think it’s highly significant it wasn’t mentioned and, given how touchy feely and comfortable Chelsy and John seem together I doubt it was their first kiss. I really hope they weren’t made to feel bad about it or told that it lessens the significance of remaining chaste til marraige. I am positive Steve would be judging Chelsy for it, hell, he’d be judging her for hugging and holding hands, and I hope he doesn’t treat her badly because of it. We know he wouldn’t approve of most of her wardrobe. I can see him using it as a reason not to trust Chelsy as a chaperone if the Maxwell daughters ever court.

If it was their first kiss I’m sure we will be informed of the fact when both families blog about the wedding. If it isn’t mentioned it will be confirmation that they kissed before marraige (and good for them! The no kissing before marriage is very much a modern fundie thing - Chelsy’s Amish and mennonite forbearers would have kissed while engaged).

Yeah, I was surprised that they didn't make a thing about "this is their first kiss because they are so godly and they managed to not smush their faces together for three months now watch two adults have their first kiss in front of 500 people and the internet" like the Duggars and Bateses do at weddings. Perhaps they did kiss before marriage. Though if they did, I feel like we would see the effects of Steve's inevitable rage-stroke. This might mean that Jesse's courtship will be so no-touch that any contact he has with his bride will be through those sterile barrier things where there are holes covered by gloves you stick your hands into -- you know those things that scientists who work with highly infectious diseases use? 

21 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

This might mean that Jesse's courtship will be so no-touch that any contact he has with his bride will be through those sterile barrier things where there are holes covered by gloves you stick your hands into -- you know those things that scientists who work with highly infectious diseases use? 

Love under PC4 conditions. I can see it now - the suits, the masks, the gloves, the sweet nothings drowned out by the constant white noise of the oxygen, the chaperones carefully monitoring them for potential biohazardous contact.

And of course at the end of the date they'll get to go into separate airlocks, strip, shower and emerge at different ends of the facility cleanly dressed and freshly scrubbed. Steve would love it.

Rehearsal photos up on the titus2 blog - interesting there are no photos of the actual couple or Chelsy herself at either the rehearsal itself or dinner. The most is one of her back making suggestions (directing?!) during the rehearsal at the groomsmen.

I'm still laughing at the idea that any part of this wedding was actually rehearsed.  Did the groomsmen need to practice their wide stances?

42 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Rehearsal photos up on the titus2 blog - interesting there are no photos of the actual couple or Chelsy herself at either the rehearsal itself or dinner. The most is one of her back making suggestions (directing?!) during the rehearsal at the groomsmen.

That’s insane. We must see a photo of an empty brownie tin and the snow through rye winshield on the way to dinner, but the Bride? Unnecessary.

Now Sarah has used "I's".  Surely there can be no controversy about that!

My first comment for using me instead of I was because "Mary, Anna, and I with our new SIL" is not a sentence--it doesn't contain a verb.  I interpreted it as a picture caption.  You could certainly  make it a sentence by inferring a verb as in "Mary, Anna, and I are with our new SIL".  I guess it's a matter of personal interpretation.

I've caught up on the Maxhell wedding shenanigans, and all I have to say is:

What an ugly wedding.  

WTF, vasectomy talk??

The Maxwells are so damn self-centered.

1 hour ago, freethemall said:

interesting there are no photos of the actual couple or Chelsy herself at either the rehearsal itself or dinner.

There is one with Nathan praying over them, but Chelsy's face is obscured by one of Nathan's kids. 

I think Steve is still bitter about not being able to micro-manage all the info coming out about the wedding. Is she still going to blog? If so I can see that being a huge thorn in Steven's side. Chelsy might be throwing off Steve's carefully scripted life. 

5 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I think Steve is still bitter about not being able to micro-manage all the info coming out about the wedding. Is she still going to blog? If so I can see that being a huge thorn in Steven's side. Chelsy might be throwing off Steve's carefully scripted life. 

Im sure he is bitter. I think like someone else said before. They didn't want to announce the relationship till it was done. But the Bontrager's announced it. 

1 hour ago, lilith said:

That’s insane. We must see a photo of an empty brownie tin and the snow through rye winshield on the way to dinner, but the Bride? Unnecessary.

Chelsy must really love John to put up with this. They barely acknowledged her existence before the wedding and I can’t see much of a sign that they’ve changed since. I can’t see how she wouldn’t be hurt by it, considering how publicly gushing her family appears towards John.

Even worse, Elissa didn’t get that much more of an acknowledgement in the retrospective wedding posts for her wedding (which mostly focused on Joe, the Goldly Courtship, the Cute Kids and The Spinster Sisters Working Hard) -  and that was when Steve DID get to micromanage the wedding, so I don’t know how much of a difference being forced to acknowledge the C & J engagement would have made to how Chelsy was portrayed.

We still know virtually nothing about Elissa and I doubt we’ll hear much on the blog about Chelsy in future, unless she’s producing arrows. It’s like the wives are just props. Maybe... just maybe... the Maxwells are soulless husks of people who have lost all capacity to love or be close to anyone. :jawdrop:

I think the Maxwells did a good job decorating for the rehearsal dinner. The greenery is appropriate and you can only do so much to an old church basement. 

However the food?! Smoked meatballs over rice with brown gravy? I'm sorry but that doesn't sound appetizing at all. It just sounds bland. Like the Maxwells....

11 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I wonder if the Bontragers were hampered by wedding fatigue.

I wondered that too. I don't follow the Bontragers, they had how many kids get married recently? 6? 

How far a drive is it from the Maxwells to the wedding location? They transported a lot of meatballs. I personally would have catered the rehearsal dinner. 

Since Chelsy and John are turning 27 this month (rather old for a fundie bride), I guarentee Chelsy is hoping to get pregnant very soon. She probably feels like she has to make up for lost time so she can hit double digits like her parents did. I wouldn't be surprised if she and john had ten. Although her mother didn't have any children in her 40s. She better hope early menopause doesn't run in he family. 

5 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

I wondered that too. I don't follow the Bontragers, they had how many kids get married recently? 6? 

How far a drive is it from the Maxwells to the wedding location? They transported a lot of meatballs. I personally would have catered the rehearsal dinner. 

They had three sons marry on Labor Day weekend of this year. So they had a few months to recover. Although Chelsy got engaged a few days before the triple wedding weekend.

Who are those people who helped with decorations on the pictures in Sarah's latest post? They don't look like Bontragers.

Feels very odd to post so much about them and literally nothing about Chelsy's family. You'd think they could have spared a sentence / picture about "fellowshipping with the bride's extended family" or whatever rather than gushing about strangers.

What a weird bunch. They just scream "socially awkward", great conversationalists or no.

20 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

They barely acknowledged her existence before the wedding and I can’t see much of a sign that they’ve changed since. I can’t see how she wouldn’t be hurt by it, considering how publicly gushing her family appears towards John.

It’s like the wives are just props.

This!

The blog entries appear to be only about the Maxwells themselves.  If someone marries into the family, the impact on the family gets more attention than the newcomer.  It's almost like the newcomer somehow taints (for lack of a better term) the Maxwell spouse, resulting in the seemingly weird (to us) demarcation between the family proper and the extended family.

Likewise, whenever they do something such as OCC, caroling, dressing up as a carnival clown, or the ministry to the elderly, they manage to make it all about them.  This would probably explain the gratuitous selfies we see in a lot of their posts, too.

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Since Chelsy and John are turning 27 this month (rather old for a fundie bride), I guarentee Chelsy is hoping to get pregnant very soon. She probably feels like she has to make up for lost time so she can hit double digits like her parents did. I wouldn't be surprised if she and john had ten. Although her mother didn't have any children in her 40s. She better hope early menopause doesn't run in he family. 

They had three sons marry on Labor Day weekend of this year. So they had a few months to recover. Although Chelsy got engaged a few days before the triple wedding weekend.

Thanks, I s trying to tell just from Instagram. It looked like a double wedding with two brides and I saw people here talking about a triple wedding, I thought those were separate events, with 5 getting married. Still, 4 kids in one year is a lot. 

So one of the brides didn't do the wedding photos with the others? The 2 in photos together are sisters? 

9 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

Thanks, I s trying to tell just from Instagram. It looked like a double wedding with two brides and I saw people here talking about a triple wedding, I thought those were separate events, with 5 getting married. Still, 4 kids in one year is a lot. 

So one of the brides didn't do the wedding photos with the others? The 2 in photos together are sisters? 

On Friday afternoon of Labor Day weekend, 2 Bontrager sons married 2 Bowers family daughters. Then the next day, one Bontrager son married a girl named Bryn Leppert that he met at church. So within a 24 hour period, 3 Bontrager sons married.

The young woman with red hair and glasses (3rd pic down in the "Friday the Rehearsal Day" post) is Cathy Jo Demcak, sister of Jonathan Demcak, AKA John-Marie - who, thankfully, was not absorbed into the Maxborg collective! Here's hoping Cathy Jo isn't, either.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived