IGNORED

Maxwell 16: At least one Maxwell got fed for Thanksgiving...

samurai_sarah

I'm pleased to hear that both Chelsy and John have had speeding tickets like normal young people and admit to it publicly. I do hate when fundies pretend they are perfect. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jakesykora said:

Except this: "the whole "stay at home daughter" term is not one that I believe girls should aspire to, nor do I believe that it is biblical. Girls should know how to handle themselves and work in public and do life in the real world, the same as men, and men AND women equally should know how to scrub toilets, cook meals, carry on intelligent conversation, and have a wide set of life knowledge + skills."

The end.

If those are shots fired - and I’m not even sure if they are - I don’t know if Steve would hear them.

What does “SAHD” even mean to Chelsy anyway? If she’s insinuating that she isn’t one but the Maxwell girls are, then that doesn’t really hold water. Neither she nor the Maxwell girls work outside the home, since they only work for family businesses. Both families encourage the girls to do less traditionally feminine work: farm work in the case of Chelsy; home renovation/building in the case of the Maxwell girls. They’re all encouraged to be frugal with money, and I highly doubt the Maxwell girls are allowed to spend all day on Pinterest as Allison seems to think a lot of SAHDs do. 

The only thing that could really be a dig at the Maxwells is the bit about men also being able to look after themselves, but I don’t know how true that would be either - since I can’t imagine Chelsy would be marrying John if he were completely useless. 

She definitely does have a point on the conversation skills though. And add to that writing skills - it’s obvious both her and Allison’s writing skills are miles ahead of those of the Maxwell girls. I actually quite enjoy C & A’s blogs, despite both of them being against everything I stand for.

I disagree: yes, the Bontrager girls work for family businesses, but they are not just waiting for Prince Charming as SAHDs. They create their own lives: they live away from home when needed, they manage money and hiring and firing, they take on supervisory and managerial responsibilities. They create their own schedules, are responsible for their own conduct without chaperones, and are trusted to live and work without mom & dad's constant oversight. None of those things are true of Steve's daughters.

There are a lot of other interesting points in Chelsey's blog:

• She's explicitly calling John's new house "OUR house"
  • She's picking out colours and decor for the house herself, together with John (it's not going to be decorated for her!)
  • Lots of cuddly photos of her and John. This is not a no-touch courtship.
  • She says the Maxwell nieces and nephews know her as "Uncle John's girlfriend" so the girlfriend term is out there.

I'm very glad she and John are choosing their own path to marriage.

We talk about Chelsy here like she’s a breath of fresh air, a good thing, a new beginning, but reading her blog, especially her political posts, I remember that:

- she doesn’t think I should be able to marry who I love

- she thinks my trans family members don’t deserve to live happy, open lives

- she thinks my atheism is a moral affront against her christianity

- she votes for people who take away my healthcare and my human rights. 

We must never forget that while these families may have different patterns they are all cut from the same cloth of hatred and fear. As a disabled, queer woman I am scared of people like Chelsy precisely because they are so nice and disarming on the outside. If I were trans or a POC I would not want to be near the Bontrangers as their prejudice and revulsion would be even more clear.

Unlike them, I think that this life is the only one I’ve got and I’ve got to make the most of it while being my most authentic self. The America that the Bontrangers and Maxwells pray for has no place for me and would literally lead to my death. They would probably be fine with my death, would probably blame me for being gay and not working hard enough. But I’m not ok with dying, and so, I will continue to fight against people like them

A few days late to the party but the blog post about John’s house just highlights something that really annoys me about them.  The Sheetrock party was in early October and yet here we are in early December.  Why must all of their posts be about events in the past and usually by several months.  I don’t understand at all.  What prevented them from writing about the Sheetrock party a few days or a week after it happened?  Maybe another post with painting and tiling?  This is a pattern and I feel like I think makes the readers feel like an afterthought.  Not something I would want my readers to feel if I was trying to sell stuff to them. 

20 hours ago, moreorlessnu said:

Was she the red haired young woman who came to take care of her Aunt (or some other relative)? Her future husband started coming by to give her piano lessons, and eventually asked her out on a date to a ball game. I think he was also a redhead, although maybe balding? I'm curious what happened to them.

Hannah & Bruce Brady. Friends of the wacked out Seppis. 

41 minutes ago, keepercjr said:

A few days late to the party but the blog post about John’s house just highlights something that really annoys me about them.  The Sheetrock party was in early October and yet here we are in early December.  Why must all of their posts be about events in the past and usually by several months.  I don’t understand at all.  What prevented them from writing about the Sheetrock party a few days or a week after it happened?  Maybe another post with painting and tiling?  This is a pattern and I feel like I think makes the readers feel like an afterthought.  Not something I would want my readers to feel if I was trying to sell stuff to them. 

I think it’s because they weren’t planning on posting about the house at all until after the wedding, since they weren’t going to even mention the engagement and so their whole blogging schedule is ruined RUINED I TELLS YA.

Also, they do this a lot - have posts saved up for a rainy day (or, in their case, when they’re away, somehow busy or don’t have anything else to write about). And I think some of them might have gone to the Bontrager church’s live annual Christmas play this weekend, which is why filler was needed.

The Bontrager’s announced the engagement.  I think in Steve’s mind that was not part of the plan. He wanted to control everything about the engagement. 

Just read Chelsy's post. She mentions the nieces have been "100% supportive" and that siblings have helped on their house. Plenty of mentions of John and her own family and friends, all very gushy and happy.

Zilch on Steevus & Terrified. 

Do i smell a "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" here? 

I'm not under any delusion that she's liberal or anything but she seems to have seized up Steve for what he is and by God,  that's fun to watch. 

Really looking forward to the incoming battle of the blog posts once she's moved closer to Maxwell. 

Bring on the popcorn ! 

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I'm pleased to hear that both Chelsy and John have had speeding tickets like normal young people and admit to it publicly. I do hate when fundies pretend they are perfect. 

Was Stud John's from his fender bender?

On 12/8/2017 at 4:49 PM, sableduck said:

They’ve made it clear Chelsy isn’t their choice and they don’t like how she does things.  For her part, I think she’s playing along until they get married, and then doing things her way.  

Where & when? I've read all of their recent blogs and I'm not seeing this at all.

1 hour ago, Foudeb said:

Just read Chelsy's post. She mentions the nieces have been "100% supportive" and that siblings have helped on their house. Plenty of mentions of John and her own family and friends, all very gushy and happy.

Zilch on Steevus & Terrified. 

Do i smell a "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" here? 

I'm not under any delusion that she's liberal or anything but she seems to have seized up Steve for what he is and by God,  that's fun to watch. 

Really looking forward to the incoming battle of the blog posts once she's moved closer to Maxwell. 

Bring on the popcorn ! 

Glad I'm not the only one to notice.

1 hour ago, BullyJBG said:

Glad I'm not the only one to notice.

I noticed as well, but I’m not sure we can read anything into it.

The Maxwell blog is solely for the promotion of the Maxwell family, particularly the kidults.  Chelsy wasn’t meant to be even mentioned on it until after the wedding, and Steve’s sure as heck not going to start now. 

It wouldn’t matter if Chelsy was a young, female, frumper-wearing carbon copy of Steve who changed her name to Scheduella Stevehova Die Pepsi Die in honour of him - she still doesn’t count as a Maxwell, and won’t until she’s married - and even then, only when she’s producing offspring. So the blog is not for her.

It’s so freaking controlled I was genuinely pleasantly surprised that Sarah actually mentioned Chelsy’s sister Elizabeth by name. None of Elissa’s siblings ever got that honour. Maybe Steve wasn’t paying attention. 

4 hours ago, Foudeb said:

Embarrassing admission:

I sometimes hope that Chelsy reads here for fun because she can't stand Steve and she loves how we rag on him all the time.

Y’all, I just realised something. On December 8th, 2015, this promise was made on the Maxwell blog:

:5FDA3B62-2F90-41D1-989D-D7993C8E75DA.thumb.png.7204d5a0366b145dd24e86cbce8e6340.png

Two years later, I ask myself WHERE IS THE PIZZA CUTTER TIP POST DAMMIT

I know! I had "Awaiting the Secret Pizza Cutter Technique" as my location for the longest time, but finally gave up. Such cockteases, those Maxwells.

7 hours ago, snickers34 said:

Where & when? I've read all of their recent blogs and I'm not seeing this at all.

For me, it's not what Steve is saying, but more what he isn't saying.

Though the wedding announcement post on the Tits page was kinda snarky, and it was only posted after the Bontrager blog spilled the beans.

18 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Too bad Steve would never allow this cute coupling to happen. Mary and Denver would make a good match IMO. Plus Denver becomes legal this month. I'm sure plenty of fundie girls are already eyeballing him, lol. 

IMG_5762.PNG

Denver and Mary would really be cute couple. But Steve would never let that happen since this would mean that Mary would move to Iowa and live with the Tonträgers and GASP might experience some freedom. It would be good for her though!

I'm not able to edit anymore, but I sure did have a good laugh, seeing that my german autocorrect changed Bontragers into "Tonträgers") (engl. sound carrier / sound storage medium)  :for_your_information::tw_grin:

We talk about Chelsy here like she’s a breath of fresh air, a good thing, a new beginning, but reading her blog, especially her political posts, I remember that:
- she doesn’t think I should be able to marry who I love
- she thinks my trans family members don’t deserve to live happy, open lives
- she thinks my atheism is a moral affront against her christianity
- she votes for people who take away my healthcare and my human rights. 
We must never forget that while these families may have different patterns they are all cut from the same cloth of hatred and fear. As a disabled, queer woman I am scared of people like Chelsy precisely because they are so nice and disarming on the outside. If I were trans or a POC I would not want to be near the Bontrangers as their prejudice and revulsion would be even more clear.
Unlike them, I think that this life is the only one I’ve got and I’ve got to make the most of it while being my most authentic self. The America that the Bontrangers and Maxwells pray for has no place for me and would literally lead to my death. They would probably be fine with my death, would probably blame me for being gay and not working hard enough. But I’m not ok with dying, and so, I will continue to fight against people like them

This is a good point and one we’d do well to remember as we poke at Maxhell in loving f*n. Seriously, though, several people have said it, but just because the Bontragers wrap it up in a prettier package doesn’t mean it’s not still a pile of shit.

As far as the “breath of fresh air” though, this is my hope: it’s obvious (to me, and to others, I think) that this is not a standard fundie courtship. Even if it’s just another situation of prettier packaging (calling each other boyfriend/girlfriend, for instance), the point is it’s a lot looser than what we typically see in Maxhell. It is my hope that some of the grandkids, the nieces and nephews Chelsy already adores, will continue to bond with her and John, and will perhaps have access to more “worldly” resources that will help break their fundie bubble as they continue to grow up. All it took for me was access to the internet and good books, and my hope is that John and Chelsy will be able to provide this access (even if it is not completely intentional) to some of the grandkids.

I've been following the Bontragers for longer than most here so I don't have to be reminded of their beliefs. I read their past posts about loving certain presidential candidates and why. It's out there is anyone wants to find it. They haven't posted as much political stuff this past year because they've been too busy with 4 weddings. So they may come off as better because of that. 

HOWEVER it's pretty obvious there are differences in their beliefs compared to Steve's and that always makes me smile. I can't stand control freaks and Steve is the king of control freaks. So I love watching something he can't control. I also want to say that I'm always pleased to see any straying from the common held beliefs and practices of the fundies we see here.

I think the SAHD movement is extremely desctructive in particular and I'm happy to see fundie girls working, managing their money, getting educations, etc (I'm loving that he seven sisters are pursuing these things and are happy). People don't think long term about the consequences of SAHD. Look at Katie Morton. She has 8 kids and a rapist ex husband in jail/prison for the rest of her children's childhood. What the fuck can she do? She never had a job. She has no skills beyond homemaking. She probably never had her own checking account. So she has no other choice but to live at home with mom and dad until her kids are grown or some guy comes along and marries her (unlikely). At least if Chelsy finds herself in he same situation, she will already know how to manage her finances, work outside the home, and just be overall less "helpless" than many of these struggling single fundie mom's to many. 

Wow. Gone a week from FreeJinger/Maxhel and NOTHING happened!

More hipster speech: John called for a sheet-rocking party

These people....oh the excitement....and Steve is softening--the Granddaughter got a candy cane all her own for running errands with the grandparents.

3 hours ago, fellowunfundie said:

Seriously, though, several people have said it, but just because the Bontragers wrap it up in a prettier package doesn’t mean it’s not still a pile of shit.

Seriously. Don't forget one of the Bontrager boys (can't remember which one, don't care) literally wrote a song that they include in their traveling show that bashes gays/lesbians.

I wonder if Chelsy and Allison are writing about SAHDs working outside of the home because it has dawned on them that the Maxwell brothers will probably have to support the sisters when Steve and Teri pass on.  It may irritate Chelsy that John will help support able-bodied adults.  

Though I don't really blame the Maxwell sisters - they are a product of their environment/cult.  All free thought has been programmed out of them.

17 minutes ago, crawfishgirl said:

I wonder if Chelsy and Allison are writing about SAHDs working outside of the home because it has dawned on them that the Maxwell brothers will probably have to support the sisters when Steve and Teri pass on.  It may irritate Chelsy that John will help support able-bodied adults. 

But they are such Great Conversationalists! They could work as Wallyworld Greeters!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived